doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Erik W Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 09:05 PM
Is there anyone out there really hunting an RBL? What does an english stocked 20 ga weigh? I have a 28ga gun that is a sleek 5# 10oz with DT, English stock & BTF that I think I will hunt this fall. Would have more confidence in 20, but wieght is an issue. How aboout the 16's. What do they weigh?
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:08 PM
Mine has become my main shotgun, save for deer hunting. I've used it exclusively for grouse and pheasant for the last three seasons. It has performed perfectly thus far. It is a 16 ga and weighs 6-3. There are few of the 16's that are that light. Most are over 6-8 and some well over 7, especially when the pad system is installed.

The 20's range from the lightest I've noted at 5-14 to 6-10, most right around 6-4. I am sure there are some variance either way from these.

I have to ask why you are not confident in your 28? It sounds perfect for grouse!

Chief
Posted By: jmc Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:19 PM
Why would a 20 ga. At less than 6.5 lbs be am issue for hunting? Most RBL 20 ga guns I see with 28" bbls are in this weight range. I don't currently own one but the ones I've handled felt great and I would not hesitate to carry afield.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:37 PM
I know few people who can consistantly shoot well with a sub 6 1/2lb gun. Too little weight, is an issue, too.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Erik W Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:39 PM
I am primarily a grouse hunter and my go to guns are all very close to 6#.... M21 custom 20ga; Browning SLF 16 and Superposed 20. I enjoy RBL 20 PG, BTF exhibition 20 for Clays, but it is close to 7#. Also like my 16ga 6#4-6oz DT English stocked (w/o removable BP option) for clays, but seems a bit thick in wrist and cumbersome with 29" barrels for grouse hunting. These guns have proven to be absolutely reliable for clays and am thinking about my idea of ideal grouse gun. Don't have confidence in 28 that I do in 20.
Posted By: Golfswithwolves Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:50 PM
My 16 gauge has become my main gun too, same as for ChiefA. Mine weighs in at 6 lbs. 10 oz. with the shorter of the two furnished recoil pads (I find this to be a good weight for my usual 1 1/8 oz. shot loads). My RBL is an excellent pheasant and sharptailed grouse gun, and it's lighter than the guns my pals and I used to take ruffed grouse hunting.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 10:58 PM
I know what you mean Eric, you have to have that confidence in your piece. The RBL 16 gauges seem to be all over the place weight wise whereas the 20 gauges seem pretty consistent.
Posted By: BPGuy Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/10/12 11:59 PM
I have an RBL 16 ga, and I hunt with it regularly. It weighs 6 lb 12 oz., and it has the plainest wood I've ever seen on an RBL. I certainly would have liked it lighter (apparently I'm one of the very few who can shoot a light gun well!), and prettier wood would have been appreciated, too.

I do believe that most RBL 16's are a few ounces lighter than mine, generally 6 lb 8 oz to 6 lb 10 oz or so.

In any event, the gun has functioned perfectly and shoots well. I will hunt with it again this year.

Posted By: Vol423 Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/11/12 12:25 AM
My 20Ga launch edition weighs exactly 6 pounds. I ordered a 12GA on a 16Ga frame in June. It weighs 6 lb, 7 oz. I haven't received the 12GA yet. It is expected next week.
Posted By: gspspinone Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/11/12 01:17 AM
My 20ga 28" bbl RBL weighs just at 6lbs with an aftermarket recoil pad installed. I shoot it very well and its s joy to carry.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/11/12 02:59 AM
I have hunted a little with all of my RBLs, but I've really settled in to hunting with my RBL-16. Mine are all straight stock, slim forearm, double trigger guns. Mine weigh --

RBL-28 with 30-inch barrels -- 5 pounds 12.3 ounces
RBL-20 with 28-inch barrels -- 6 pounds 3.8 ounces
RBL-16 with 29-inch barrels -- 6 pounds 14.8 ounces
RBL-12 with 30-inch barrels -- 7 pounds 4.9 ounces

Don't have a picture of all four, but here are the 28-, 20- and 16-gauges --

Here is the RBL-12 and the RBL 16 --

My RBL-12 is one of the lighter weight ones on the same frame as the RBL-16. Kind of like a 1-frame Parker Bros. 12-gauge. I originally got one of the big frame 32-inch 12-gauges with a beavertail and vent rib that tipped the scales at 8 pounds 14.5 ounces. Didn't like it at all, even though it was exactly what I had ordered. Lou took care of me and got me the lighter RBL-12.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/11/12 10:04 AM
Whats the discussion about? The RBL or 28 bore? The RBL is like any other shotgun, nothing very special except for the promotional hoopla..A mid priced modern double.And not even scarce. The debate over ounces in weight seems silly. My land! if you cant carry a couple of extra ounces, stay home and buy safeway chickens..
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/11/12 12:18 PM
You're up early! The question is if anyone hunts with an RBL and what do they weigh. I think we've stayed on track up to now.

What does scarcity of a gun have to do do with hunting with it?

I agree with you on the few ounces,although I don't detect much of a debate here.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/14/12 03:37 PM
I have shot ring necks, dove, ducks with my RBL 20. 3/4 oz steel is marginal on ducks.
bill
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/14/12 03:51 PM
I guess my point is was, if I had one..is that the RBL is just another double...Any difference in the field would be in load-fit-capability..Not maker..I bet 3/4 oz steel is no more or less marginal on waterfowl out of an RBL than it would be out of anything else...
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/14/12 11:20 PM
Veering farther from the OP's questions I would agree with you. The RBL is just another SxS. For new guns in its price range a fairly nice example. I am well pleased with mine, it is balanced slightly foreward of the pin and the weight is as close to what I wanted that I won't change a thing. The gun fits me well, I shoot it well. I have handled two other RBL 16's that I would not have been satisfied with. Not set up like I like and just didn't have the weight or "feel" I would want. Had I recieved a gun like that it would have been quickly sold. Not because it was a bad gun, just not what I'm after. It might be the next person's "just right".
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/15/12 12:05 AM
We had quite a few hunter/guests with RBL's...They are pretty nice guns generally. I owned a 20 for a short while. As you said the "feel" wasnt there. One should be able to pick up a SxS blindfolded and tell by the feel between the hands if its "the one"...Make makes little difference...Our family owned Purty Purdey Purdy is a cosmetic disaster, but you just have to pick it up to know it will work...Grandpa bought it new in 1919,and it has been HUNTED ever since, rain or shine,,thats what is what is was built for....RBL's should be treated the same way...
Posted By: Cobbhead Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/15/12 01:38 AM
I guess I don't understand the question. I bought a 20 ga. RBL last September, never gave a thought to not hunting with it. Got a blue grouse three days after purchase, first shot out of the gun. It has, like several before it, become my favorite bird gun and will likely stay in that position this year, too. The odd thing, though I shoot it very well on birds, I can't hit a lick with it on sporting clays or 5 stand.

Oh, though I don't have a precise scale, I believe it weighs a few ounces over 6# and is a pleasure to carry in the field.

Steve
Posted By: homer Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/22/12 03:13 PM
I thought about this old thread as I pulled my now "old standby" RBL Launch Ed. out for the season. Since I first shot it I have extolled the dynamics of this gun. Now after 5 seasons and contemplating my next I would add that as a hunting shotgun the RBL has so far passed another important test. Shots at a ruffed grouse are just too dear to tolerate any gun that occasionally misfires. The RBL never misses a beat. Happy Bird Season to all.
Posted By: RCC Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/22/12 03:24 PM
Homer,

Have you had others that misfired?

I ask because your comment has never been a concern for me. After more than a half century in the field with how many guns that only God knows the number, I have never had a misfire because of a mechanical or gun issue.

The very, very few I have experienced were all primer issues.
Posted By: homer Re: Hunting a CSM RBL - 08/22/12 03:36 PM
My Rem. Peerless and anothers both had problems. Ive shot with people whose Citoris just clicked.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com