doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HOS Westley Richards question - 09/12/12 11:17 PM
Regarding a mid-60s manufactured Westley sidelock pigeon gun marked "ABAS" on the action... I believe this indicates that A.A. Brown manufactured it for WR; is that correct? If so, what did Brown make? The action? The whole gun? Does this affect the value of the gun (negatively or positively)? Subjectively, I would say the gun is up to London best standards.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Westley Richards question - 09/13/12 11:06 AM
ABAS is the trade mark of A.A.Brown.I had the pleasure of meeting the Browns In years gone by.At one time they ventured into the field of air pistol manufacture, their pistol was called the ,"ABAS".This pistol is much sought after by collectors.The Browns where/are considered by many to be the finest gunmakers ofthe post war period.In the 1970s they made acomplete sidelocks, "The Supreme;" and I mean lock, stock and barrel.My late friend,Geoffrey Boothroyd, considered Browns the best gunmakers of the era!Following bomb damage to their Whittal Sreet[? Sand Street],Birmingham location during W.W.2. The Browns worked out of the Westley Richards Bournebrook factory.
Browns made guns for most of the leading makers/Dealers prior to selling guns under their own name.In my opinion any gun made by the Browns will be of the highest Quality.Current location is 1 Snake Lane Alvechurch,Birmingham B4S7NT
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Westley Richards question - 09/13/12 12:13 PM
I've been told that they made the whole gun (they had the skills, facilities, and people to do it). But I would guess that it wasn't the case all the time. I may be wrong, though.

Regarding value, those Westleys sidelocks have to be taken on a gun-by-gun basis. Some stink and some are great, regardless of who actually made them.

But even the best ones by ABAS sell below London best prices. The quality's there--100%--but not the brand recognition and exclusivity that pushes stuff into the top prices.

That's what I've seen, anyway.

Do you have any pics of the gun? I would love to check it out.

Thanks

OWD
Posted By: lagopus Re: Westley Richards question - 09/13/12 05:53 PM
Well, if I ever win the lottery and money was no object and able to order a new pair of sidelock ejectors I would go straight to A.A.Browns. No finer Gunmakers in my opinion. Lagopus.....
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Westley Richards question - 09/13/12 07:41 PM
BTW: These Westleys are by ABAS:

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=46654&sale=327&lot=2391

OWD
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Westley Richards question - 09/14/12 01:50 AM
I believe you will find that folks who shop guns at this level will know/accept that the Brit gun trade was at fairly "tangled web" of masters, in-workers, and out-workers. Further, they will recognize that the master at WR was ultimately responsible for quality control. So, WR and Brown will generally bring 3/4 what an equal Original Quality and Current Condition gun with Boss, H&H, Purdey, or Woodward for brand.

DDA
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Westley Richards question - 09/14/12 08:26 AM
Obsessed with doubles, apart from the single trigger and the recoil pads they look nice indeed ! best
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Westley Richards question - 09/15/12 01:49 AM
You would have to review their work books to know if AA Brown made the entire gun or just the action. And at what point did Westley Richards stamp their name on it?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com