doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rookhawk Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/17/12 03:12 PM
Was in Hammond, IN the other day and they had a cased gun in the cabinet marked "Boss". SXS double trigger 20 bore. As new. It was priced $13,000 so while I didn't have the budget, I decided I'd buy it instantly if it wasnt sleeved and had good walls. (3 day inspection period would have been negotiated or I would have drove back with gauges)

I take it out and no sleeving! Then I look it over and not a single word "boss" on the thing.

It was a John Robertson box lock with side plates.

The proof marks said "cabelas Sidney, NB"! Then the Birmingham proofs were modern and looked electro penciled, not struck.

I realize Robertson worked with boss and made intro guns, but their unbelievable misrepresentation is akin to calling a William Evans a "Purdey".

The guys behind the counter knew nothing about guns. I asked to be shown their other English guns and they showed me three Parkers.

It would have been a fine gun for $5000-$6000.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/17/12 03:49 PM
The used Boss Robertson at Cabela's is priced on their website at $15,999. The Boss website prices them at 6000BP to start, which is about $9700 today.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/17/12 07:29 PM
Did it have English ported barrels ?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/17/12 07:57 PM
Boss has really reached bottom. They could make a sidelock at least. I would buy a boxlock Boss before I would buy a sideplated one.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/18/12 12:38 AM
You will find more three grand guns at Cabelas priced at ten grand than any where else. Problem is that many here are only interested in ten grand guns priced at three grand. If you are going to Cabelas, to buy a high grade or rare gun, you are going to the wrong place. The average gun room "expert" can only tell you if it comes in camo, not if it is in proof or if the barrel walls are paper thin.

If a seller can not afford a grand in tools and measuring instruments at each store then they are not to be trusted sell you a ten grand gun. Sorry, either get and learn how to use a wall thickness gauge and choke gauge or stick to selling camo guns. And Bullshit answers to important questions about a gun will not fly with a buyer who know more than the seller.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/18/12 12:56 AM
Ah but deals are to be had there if one is a shrewd shopper, this was bought well below market

Posted By: gjw Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/18/12 11:48 AM
Hi all, I've bought from Cabelas in the past, I've only returned one, it was easy and no problems. I do agree with Steve, sometimes you can get deals from them, you just have to be careful. Some are really way off in price and I do agree they need to invest in some "tools" and get off the "Black or camo" autos and pumps and train some folks in the "Library" in the classics that we love so much here.

Regards!

Greg
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/18/12 12:07 PM
The guy in Sydney knows his way around a double, if he is still there.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/18/12 02:01 PM
SKB, agreed. I purchased a Lindner Daly for a fraction of what I have seen them listed. To credit the expertise on this board, I did not know what I had until I posted questions about it, and gentlemen here enlightened me. I will make a trip to the local Cabelas later this week to look at an Ithaca Crass Gr.4. I will be carrying my own bore gauge, and barrel wall thickness gauge though.
Posted By: pooch Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/20/12 03:34 PM
Don't knock it guys it's the best source of bargains for vintage guns. You do have to know what you are looking at.
Posted By: 2holer Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/20/12 04:14 PM
Sometimes their ignorance is bliss.......for the buyer.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/20/12 07:51 PM
Just think, tho. The really good gun you bought for a song was purchased from some poor schlemiel (SP?) for next to nothing
Posted By: pooch Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/20/12 08:39 PM
The Cabelas game is 30% margin and a quick turn. Black gun or beauty.
Posted By: Cary Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/20/12 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: pooch
The Cabelas game is 30% margin and a quick turn. Black gun or beauty.

Assuming you're talking gross margin, 30% is pretty slim. Most big boxes have to have at least 50% to net 12-15%.
Posted By: pooch Re: Hilarious gun at Cabelas - 09/21/12 12:08 AM
The Gun Library is like the stuffed animals, it helps bring folks into the store. Not many libraries make a profit. Our gun room happens to make money because we turn a lot of guns, most of which are black and camo.

Times are hard, folks are selling their guns. The people who like double guns are older, they are dying. The guns bring quick cash. We have more guns at times then we have space for, they have to move.

I've gotten two of the best buys of my life there. Both were on the rack out on the floor so anyone could have bought them. I just happened to see them first. I've passed on a number of great buys because I don't have the money to spend. I was brought in because I have some knowledge of older shotguns, but I'm only there to try to prevent the purchase of dangerously damaged guns. The pricing is out of my hands. There will always be killer deals for the educated buyer, like those that hang out at this web site.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com