doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: C.R. Sides fitting superposed stock - 11/18/12 03:25 AM
Thanks to Ken's heads up on a stock set, I now have a butt stock for my Superposed 410 on the way in. Now, what are the chances this is going to be a plug and play deal. Does this typically take some fitting? How hard is this to do for a guy who has lots of time and little talent.

thanks for the help,

Charlie
Posted By: gunman Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/18/12 10:27 AM
Is it new unfitted or is it a second hand/previously fitted stock ?If new then there should be no problem and a little time and effort it will go on , but consider . Does the gun you have have shoulders on the top strap ? Does the stock you are getting have them /not have them ? Is the bolt block between the top and bottom straps have a straight back or is the type with boss ? Guard tang or not ?These and other considerations have to be assesed . Other wise than that some Browning stocks will go straght on and other wont and some will fit with a little inletting/presuasion . Important that the bolt pressure is against the block in greater proportion than the let ups at head .
Good luck .
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/20/12 01:41 AM
I always glass bed new to a gun stocks. Changed a k32 stock with another k32 stock. The one stock was about .20 longer in the inlet area. I am sure it would have broken if I had not bedded it. That tiny bit of movement would soon split the head.
bill
Posted By: C.R. Sides Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/22/12 01:14 AM
Thanks for the responses. I got the stock in today, but the shotgun is still at the gunsmiths. Will get them together and see what i got.

Charlie
Posted By: C.R. Sides Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/26/12 05:28 PM
gunman

I just read my response and see I did not address your questions. I don't have the gun and stock together at the moment, but will check it out. It is a used stock. Both from 1970-71 era, so hopefully that helps.

The forend on the gun currently is a rich dark reddish piece of wood, and the butt stock is a light caramel color. i can refinish the stock, but don't know what to use on the caramel colored butt stock to match up with the forend?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlie
Posted By: bbman3 Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/26/12 07:00 PM
Charlie,Brownells sells a military stock stain that when applied several coats will give you a dark reddish color.I am not in shop but you can pull up Brownell's site. Bobby
Posted By: C.R. Sides Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/28/12 09:49 AM
I will try to post pics of the old reddish forend and new caramel color butt stock.

Charlie
Posted By: devrep Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/28/12 02:09 PM
I have 6 SP's. 4 of them have the original wood and I don't see a pattern to the colors. 1950 20 ga is dark, 1967 28ga is dark, 1968 20 ga skeet is blond and 1968 410 ga skeet is a mix of light with dark streaks.

I've always been curious about this. Is this the wood or a staning process? most of the 50's SP's Ive seen photos of were dark.

Posted By: devrep Re: fitting superposed stock - 11/28/12 02:11 PM
Charlie, what year is your gun?
Posted By: C.R. Sides Re: fitting superposed stock - 12/01/12 02:10 AM
Its a 1970. The forend is custom wood that came to me on the gun. The blond butt stock was purchased recently.

Charlie
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com