doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: devrep are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 04:03 PM
shot this gun yesterday for the 1st time. had a rattle inside the receiver so in my ignorance, thinking something was loose I took it apart this morning. rattle is the small hooks above the springs. it appears they would only engage when the gun is upside down. some type of back up safety?

Also, this gun was new in the box for 29 years and although there is no rust, all the parts are dry. should I lubricate some or all of the interior parts?

thanks in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Dev'
Not sure which bit you mean...does moving the safety move the bit your lookin at?..If it ain't broke don't.....you know smile.....
If all the innards` are really bone dry ,they need lightly lubing, expecially where two part meet or bear against anotheror totate around a pin.
Perhaps a small fine artists brush & a light oil of your choice.
Dont flood it, of course,lol.
If you can hook up the bbls,Id do it twice..cocked & uncocked to be sure to get it in all the crooks n nannies
Don't forget to grease the hook & knuckle pin,& the ejector stems ,wipe bbs etc
What make? German?
Nice one!!!
Franc
interesting gun
thanks for sharing

good call on mechanics

sure looks like they would stop the hammer fall by catching on the round peg that is on the sear if the sear wasn't lifted out of the way by the inertia block

test by properly cleaning and oiling gun
assembling with snap caps and butt stock off

make sure those are snap caps NOT live ammo once again

then observe mechanical functions

have fun
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 05:30 PM
Is it Polish? I see my late mother-in-laws face engraved on the frame.
Steve
Posted By: devrep Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 07:27 PM
I had greased the hook and pin as soon as I got the gun, I just used a small brush to lube all the innards.

make is Winchester, made in Japan 1983.
.257/.257

thanks Franc.
Posted By: devrep Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 07:29 PM
I could not see any action of those hook unless I turned the gun upside down and then they did catch the hammers when I pulled the triggers. here is a photo with the hammers fired off.

Posted By: gunman Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 08:20 PM
Not come across this, but is it to act as a "halfcock" rather than an "inecepter" that is to hold the hammer if the gun is not fully cocked . I also notice that the ejector trippers seem to be mising.
Posted By: skeettx Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 08:42 PM
Winchester 101 Express Rifle

As here

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-101-Rifle-O-U-257-Roberts.cfm?gun_id=100210910
Posted By: devrep Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 09:29 PM
I don't think these came with ejectors, only extractors.
Posted By: devrep Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 09:33 PM
that's a ridiculous price, like everything at Kevins. I've been in their stores, tallahassee and Thomasville. This was mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=314749535

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Posted By: james-l Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/18/12 11:11 PM
I still think it is an intercepting device to prevent the gun from firing if the sears fail,. When the gun is fired normally the sear is lifted up and the hook clears the pin, if it fails for some reason the hook catches on the pin and prevents the hammer from falling forward.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: are these some sort of hammer safeties? - 11/20/12 01:34 PM
devrep,
Actually, both prices are ridiculous. Kevin's is crazy high and yours was the steal of the month. If I'd seen the Grand European on the internet,first, I'd have beat you to it!
I have seen those on a Winchester 101 XTR Featherweight (made in Japan) 12 ga. and they are exactly what the OP thought. They prevent the gun from firing when it is upside down. they seem to work on gravity alone and when you flip the gun over and release the sears, the hammers just catch on the hook. If the gun is still apart, give it a try and you will see exactly what I mean. Quite clever and simple but I'm not totally sure about the rationale.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com