doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark Larson Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 11:31 AM
As someone who has been stricken by hammer gun fever, I'm wondering if it is contagious and is a natural progression, like moving from repeaters to sxs's, or if it is a somewhat unique malady that strikes a relatively few people? I do own a couple non-hammer guns, but they seem almost unfairly lethal in comparison. Coffee tawk. Discuss.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 11:43 AM
Mark, I know it has for me. I have taken more of an interest in hammer guns in the last year or so. I shoot them at our functions and have been using 3/4 ox. loads for 12 gauge. Most are Damascus with a few Royal Steel barrels.
On gun auction sites, I have seen a renewed interest in them.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 12:33 PM
One thing for sure is that they're a heck of a lot more fun to shoot than a hammerless gun. laugh crazy
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 01:37 PM
Yep, something about them appeals to me as well.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 02:34 PM
A hammer gun is a archaic form of a archaic device. Some would consider a hammer gun person as a purist others as a fringe person. Which is a polite way to call one a nut. Either way a hammer gun is fun to shoot and this is or should be a fun hobby.

I like the early hammer guns more than the later ones. Something about those dolphin or high style hammers just look cool. Later ones are more compact, more utilitarian, and just not as gaudy.
Posted By: ed good Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 02:42 PM
hammer gun fever is certainly contagious...one of life's joys.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 02:51 PM
Hammer guns are dangerous! It begins with one or two. Soon you hear them calling you by name. Mark, Mark...

I own hammer guns in 10ga through 28ga and everything in between. After awhile, you decide you need another 12ga hammer because you don't own a German hammer. Forget the American, Belgian, Italian or Swedish 12ga hammer guns you already have.

In general, they are a bit cheaper, but not always. The have less engraving, but not always.

Pete
Posted By: Abn Sarge Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 02:58 PM
I shoot trap at my club or sporting clays at a local facility. Most of the guys have expensive over/under guns. I show up with an 1889 Elsie hammer gun with damascus or twist barrels. The looks I get!
Hammer Fever is contagious. I caught the fever from a person who posted earlier on this thread;a parent whose son I coach caught it from me!
Posted By: RCC Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 03:08 PM
It must be.

For years I could buy very high grade and wonderfully conditioned hammer guns for so little.

Now they are selling for nearly twice and three times the money I once bought them for.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 04:24 PM
Pete, that Husky 51 is lovely. Looks like it's been re-done?

All I know is I've been selling and re-arranging my cabinet to accommodate my malady. It's pretty bad because I'm down to just one Lefever at the moment. I just put another finely engraved belgian 12 hammer gun on layaway, the twin to this 16 so I can have a matched pair:

Posted By: Stallones Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 04:43 PM
I grew up shooting hammerguns. I don't believe I even saw a hammerless until I was about 20. I learned to shoot with a LC Smith hammer 12 ga, a single barrel hammer 12 ga and a Model 62 Winchester. Maybe it is nostalgic,but I love em.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 04:45 PM
Yes and no.

Yes in that playing with a hammer gun can be fun.

No in that there is a reason Hammer Guns went away, just as there is a reason SxS are less used. It is not cost. It is ease and efficiencies.

Pumps and Autos were both easier to use and ultimately cheaper.

I shoot Side by Sides all the time and I will continue to use a hammergun from time to time, just as I drive old sports cars. But I doubt either will become more commonly used.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Larson

Yes, some years ago. Who is the maker of that Belgian gun?

Pete
Posted By: gjw Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 04:57 PM
Hi Mark, they sure are!!!!!!! Here's mine BTW:

16ga Carl Grundig:

16ga Franz Sodia:

16b D. Gotobed:

12b Samuel Allport:

12b James Harkom:

12ga Bernadelli Italia:

So..as you can see, you just can't own one.

Best!

Greg
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 05:24 PM
I think that a lovely,beautifully made Hammer gun is the bee's bollocks when it comes to art in a gun...man...the action filing, those scooped out percussion fences, the wonderful workmanship of getting those hammers perfect, the lovely Jones action lever (if so fitted)...just a class act,even if they are to some, old fashioned.
I think a well turned out Hammer is visually more eye pleasing than a h'Less number.I love the Jones action, love the look of the top tang when there is no top lever
I wish I'd got on the Hammer gun trail when no one really wanted them
cheers
franc
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 07:59 PM
Absolutely. I hardly use anything else now. Very rarely do I find a gun that I like the feel of better than a hammer gun that is just right.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteM

Yes, some years ago. Who is the maker of that Belgian gun?

Pete

Antoine Marechal (Belgian). I'm guessing it was made in the 1920's, since it has quadruple nitro proofed krupp steel barrels, but could possibly even be the 30's? Hard to say. Barrels are at Briley right now to have choke added to them.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I think that a lovely,beautifully made Hammer gun is the bee's bollocks when it comes to art in a gun...

Agree 100%. The only thing I don't like about them is they can be tricky to use in bad weather, since a thumb can slip off a hammer fairly easily if you're not careful. So, I'll likely always keep a rainy day hammerless gun or two in the safe.

Greg, your hammer gun collection is awesome! If you ever want to loan one or two of those 16's to me so I can compare them to mine, I'm your guy.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 09:00 PM
It should have a date stamp. Here they are:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

There were 3 "Antoine Marechal's" who operated in Liege. They were active from at least the late 1860's until 1975.

Pete
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 09:24 PM
My fondest hunting memories are of my Dad's 1889 Remington 10 bore. Years ago some missionaries stopped by one day and started quoting scripture to me. I said just a minute and I got the 10 bore out. I told them, "This here is my Bible. It's got both the Old Testament and the New. Which one ya want first?" They jumped in their car and never came back.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 10:17 PM
As one of my illustrious friends tells me " A shotgun without hammers is like a WOman without breasts.

Kinda exaggerated maybe ,but to the point..
Posted By: gjw Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I think that a lovely,beautifully made Hammer gun is the bee's bollocks when it comes to art in a gun...

Agree 100%. The only thing I don't like about them is they can be tricky to use in bad weather, since a thumb can slip off a hammer fairly easily if you're not careful. So, I'll likely always keep a rainy day hammerless gun or two in the safe.

Greg, your hammer gun collection is awesome! If you ever want to loan one or two of those 16's to me so I can compare them to mine, I'm your guy.

Thanks Mark for the kind words! Much appreciated. Not as nice as some of the folks have here, but I'm happy with them.

BTW, remember you did some stock work on the Bernadelli and the Franz Sodia for me.

Thanks again!!!

Best!

Greg
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/22/13 11:24 PM
It's better as a Jonesy! I looked for 30 years before I found a nice 12 bore hammer Jones underlever
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 12:06 AM
I've never used a Jonesy. Are they functionally nicer, or is it mostly an aesthetic thing?
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 01:17 AM
Mark,
For me hammer guns are endemic and have been so since the 1950,s. Not only have they been a joy to own and use,they have also proven over time to be a good investment.For your interest here is a case in point.
During the early 1960,s I was in the Carrs Lane,Birmingham shop of William Powell, talking hammer guns with Mr Powell,senior[Father Of Peter].At that time Powell,s had a Purdey 12G Pigeon hammer gun,with Whitworth steel Barrels on offer price 90 pounds!!!I vividly recall Mr Powell describing quality vintage hammer guns as ;"The most under valued antiques in the Britain today". How right he was. To day this gun would be worth 80-100 times the 1960,s asking price.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 01:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Stallones
As one of my illustrious friends tells me " A shotgun without hammers is like a WOman without breasts.

If I remember right, Edward VII compared a hammerless gun to a spaniel without ears.

And, speaking of efficiency, few of us can match the scores of lord Ripon, and he used nothing but hammer guns. Of course, few of us shoot with a set of four and three loaders smile
Posted By: dollysods Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 01:46 AM
Well Mark you know my track record with hammerguns blush. I'm doubly smitten by the back-action guns. With their rounded action in 16 ga there's nothing as sweet to carry through the coverts.

Hammerguns and Woodcock just go together.

Rick
Posted By: LGF Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 03:53 AM
It is a chronic incurable disease, spread and exacerbated by viewing the Doublegun BBS. I only need one more hammergun, today.
Posted By: gjw Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 05:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty

If I remember right, Edward VII compared a hammerless gun to a spaniel without ears.

And, speaking of efficiency, few of us can match the scores of lord Ripon, and he used nothing but hammer guns. Of course, few of us shoot with a set of four and three loaders smile

Hi the quote "spaniel without ears" was really said by Edwards second son who would become George V. George V shot hammerguns his whole life and rarely use hammerless guns. He was fond of 16b guns BTW. Edward the VII used hammerless doubles during his adult life as did his grandson George VI.

I have a keen interest in the three Royal cousins, George V, Nicholas II and Wilhelm II. Very interesting fellows and their interactions both as rulers and as a family is fascinating. BTW, they all shot owned and shot Purdeys. among others.

Best!

Greg
Posted By: gjw Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 06:04 AM
I've never used a Jonesy. Are they functionally nicer, or is it mostly an aesthetic thing?

Hi Mark, they are a very simple action as you may know, very strong actions also. Many Big Game Rifle's have been built on the Jones action.

They look slow to operate, but in fact are fairly easy and fast to open. I enjoy mine when hunting doves, and we all know how doves can be!

You owe yourself to try one someday.

Best!

Greg
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 08:05 AM
OK, thanks for the correction, gjw,
Now, for what could be the epithome of hammergunnia..
Purdey has been making hammer guns again
http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/27/gun-re...r-griffin-howe/
AND, Purdey has been making damascus guns again http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/505281/Purdey_Damascus_Steel_shotgun_review.html
Now, will anyone dare to order a NEW HAMMER DAMASCUS Purdey?
Posted By: PM Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 11:09 AM

That is true the hammers and what lies between.

Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 03:54 PM
I do like breast-less guns too, but if guns like these don't leave you a bit weak in the knees then you may as well shoot an 870.

Posted By: lagopus Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 05:06 PM
PM nice pigeon gun. What make is it? Lagopus.....
Posted By: PM Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 08:11 PM
Lagopus,
It's made for more than pigeon; it has rifled chokes

Posted By: skeettx Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/23/13 09:02 PM

PERHAPS

But this one has nice cleavage smile

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 03:30 AM
Speaking of Hammer pigeon guns. My personal favorite by E.M.Reilly with Whitworth steel barrels

Posted By: kcordell Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 06:06 AM
Wow, great topic.. They are contagious and can quickly take over...

Make sure you feed them properly...

Posted By: lagopus Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 12:24 PM
PM. Thanks for the reply. A Paradox then! It looked like a pigeon gun at first glance with the rib. Thanks. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 04:09 PM
This Greener just looks racy. Wonderful shooter!

Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 04:34 PM
Terry, that Reilly has it all...super looking piece,nice one mate
Franc
Posted By: kcordell Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 04:45 PM
Joe, sharp Greener... really like it!
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 04:53 PM
Current interest is a wonderfully cased pinfire.

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 06:16 PM
Ooh, that is nice, Daryl! Well done. How does it open?

Here's a Joseph Brazier I have recently bought. Rib engraving shows it to be #3 of 3.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 06:31 PM
Joe, it is a Dougall Lock-Fast system.

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 06:35 PM
That does make it special, Daryl.
Wow - great looking guns.

Any more pics of the Brazier?

I love the hammers & finish on the Jeffery.

Vintage stuff like that is as good as it gets.

OWD
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 10:04 PM
Thanks Franc, not only is hammergun fever contagious, but also incurable, and quite possibly terminal... I know you like Jones underlevers so will attach a couple pics of a Rigby 12 circa 1868
that works for me

Posted By: kcordell Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 10:25 PM
Here is a Lang double underlever.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 10:31 PM
Here's a nice Kennedy.

Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/24/13 10:52 PM
Daryl, the wood to metal fit on that Jeffrey is incredible. Wow, what a find. What a great gun that would be to gather up some brass pinfire shells and head out after a rooster or three.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/25/13 08:16 PM
Time to give everyone a "reality check" (lol) and show some blue collar guns. Top two are 28's, third is a 20 and bottom is a 16. While not your British Best, they are a joy in the field.
Posted By: kcordell Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/26/13 01:11 AM
What's that on the bottom? Looks German to me...
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/26/13 01:59 AM
Again not British bests but nice to have all the same.
Top gun is a Husqvarna m42 and the bottom is a well used Greener of modest grade that arrived this morning.

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/26/13 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: kcordell
What's that on the bottom? Looks German to me...

The bottom gun is an Italian IAG. Can't find much info on IAG shotguns, lots of info on their pistols. Under the trigger guard it has Rizzini stamped into the wood.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Is hammer gun fever contagious? - 01/26/13 07:14 PM
Just thought an American hammergun should be represented in the discussion. Here's a C grade Nichols & Lefever, c. 1878, 8 1/4 lb. 10 gauge, shootable dimensions:

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com