doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brittany Man 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 02/22/13 04:39 PM
Does anyone have information on the UP SxS Shoot? The STSC website has no information on the 2013 shoot & the 2012 registration form is the only one up.

The last I heard was that the club was going to make changes from the revised 2012 shoot format but they still intended to put the shoot on & I certainly hope so. Always a good time had by all at that shoot.
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 02/22/13 06:28 PM
The Club is meeting about the shoot soon more info will be available after that.
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 02/22/13 10:08 PM
Having been to almost all of the SxS venues, this one is always the most fun for the shooters. Sure hope it is a go for 2013!!!
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 02/23/13 01:18 PM
I heard the shoot would be moved this year due to burnout among the Sagola organizers.Medford Wis was mentioned as a possible location.I don't know if this is true.Rumor?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 02/23/13 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: oldmanriver
I heard the shoot would be moved this year due to burnout among the Sagola organizers.Medford Wis was mentioned as a possible location.I don't know if this is true.Rumor?

Yet to be determined. See Mark's post above. The Sagola Township Sportsmen's Club, which hosts the event, will be making their decision very shortly.
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/06/13 11:02 PM
Any word yet from the March 3rd Meeting???
Posted By: GJZ Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/06/13 11:06 PM
It's kaput.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/06/13 11:34 PM
GLZ

What is the source of your information re. the UP
SxS Classic?

A wasted summer if we don't have that shoot on the schedule!

For those of us that need to plan ahead I'm a little upset that the STSC hasn't yet made an official announcement one way or another.
Posted By: GJZ Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 12:00 AM
The founder of the event told me.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 12:07 AM
GLZ

Do you mean Steve Atkinson?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: oldmanriver

Looking like the above "rumor" may have substance. There is significant interest in keeping it alive, same format, same weekend, different venue. More details to follow within a few days.
Posted By: Rich A Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:20 AM
I have enjoyed the U.P. shoot for over 10 years. I'll change venues and go to Duluth but not Wisconsin
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:21 AM
Don't give up on Shooting SxSs Fathers day weekend. The Yooper is moving to MRC near Medford,WI. The details are being worked out and an official announcement and updated web pages will be available soon. Many of the vendors have already committed to the new venue. MRC has been throwing sporting clays targets for over 20 years. MRC host several large shoot every year. They have the membership and the ground to make this a very special shoot. Plenty of room for the main events and side events as well. More details and applications will be on line shortly.

http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com
Posted By: Rich A Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:26 AM
where is Medford WI and about how far is it from Sagola?
Posted By: billgrill Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:28 AM
It's over by wausau. Google is your friend.
Posted By: GJZ Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:31 AM
A friend said, ''How can the UP shoot be held in Medford?''
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 01:34 AM
Club is 8 miles north of Medford. Lots of Motels and restaurants.
http://www.mrcsportsmansclub.com/Directions2.htm
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: GJZ
North is UP-- South is Down--simple math for the Beer und Bratwurst boyz in the Packer State--Wonder if they will import all those colorful balloons from MASS for the famous "Luftschutzen" event. Enjoy!!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: GJZ

Kinda like the Philadelphia Athletics becoming the Kansas City Athletics becoming the Oakland A's. Name will obviously be changed as the location is changed, but it will still be a side by side shoot with a format familiar to those who've attended the UP Shoot in the past. No sense abandoning the idea just because STSC has decided they're not going to host it. Still a lot of sxs fans in the Upper Midwest who'd like to see the event continue.
Posted By: Rich A Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 02:47 PM
Why the move in the first place? There is another club south towards Iron Mtn with lots of room and a good sporting clays course and a covered 5 stand. Was this ever considered? An additional 4 hrs travel....I don't think so.
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 03:20 PM
Meriman did not want it.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 05:31 PM
For all you guys who haven't ever attended the shoot at Lapeer County Sportsmens Club in lower southeast Michigan, come on out. We usually get from 65 to 85 shooters - this is our 7th year doing the shoot. It will be May 11th - SxS's only. We have skeet, trap, 5-stand,30 Bird Flurry, Pigeon ring, Duck Towers, and SC's. There's a steak dinner at 5 PM. Dealer tables for anyone wishing to sell something gun related are free. If anyone is interested email me at - bladesmith46@hotmail.com - Paul
Posted By: PeteM Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 05:34 PM
There is a Gander Mountain in Wausau. A lot of hotels.

Medford is 60 miles south of Park Fall. At the southern edge of the Nicolet National Forest.

Pete
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 05:51 PM
Forgot to mention - When you pre-register for $50 you get the steak dinner and 50 birds of SC's. Any additional rounds of SC's are $10. All the other games are $5. If you're just a dealer the tables are free. Paul
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 06:13 PM
Pete, Lots of places closer than Wausau to stay. Medford is 8 miles south and has lots of spots to sleep and eat. Lodging info will be on MRCs website soon.
Posted By: Eis Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 08:26 PM
Well I am sorry the two clubs could not make it work, I would have gone again if the shoot had been held at Iron Mt but not an extra 3 hours drive. So I guess I'll be home for Fathers Day..... first time in five or six years. Really too bad that was a fun shoot, I don't think RST will be going so better pickup your shells at Houseman's shoot or the Southern.
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/07/13 09:20 PM
RST will be there. So will RES engraving, Vintage doubles, Steven Cobb, 2nd Shot, Wing Shooting Adventures, Vintage Firearms, H.G. Lomas, Jon Hosford, Swandt Classic Guns, Marks Born Again Birdguns and more are committing everyday.

If you are interested in exhibiting email me and I will see that you get info.

mark@mbabllc.com
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/08/13 12:20 AM
It's 4+ hours closer for me, so I have no excuse not to be there. smile
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/08/13 12:23 PM
No question a longer drive for those coming from lower Michigan. On the other hand, much closer for people in southern Wisconsin, the Twin Cities, etc. Medford's a little closer than Channing from where I live now in northern WI, but would have been a heck of a lot closer when I used to drive to the UP from central Iowa.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/08/13 12:47 PM
You know those boys living in lower Michigan would save themselves hundreds of miles driving and hours of time if they would take the SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan between Ludington, MI and Manitowoc, WI. I've taken it several times and it's a hoot.
http://ssbadger.com/
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/08/13 09:34 PM
That evokes an image of a boatload of seasick trolls.*

(Troll is the name affectionately applied by Yoopers to Michiganders who live "below the bridge".)
Posted By: popplecop Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/09/13 02:03 PM
There are guys that come from the LP to a Midwest Upland Journal Shoot in Menomonie, Wi. every year. They don't like driving around Chi Town, but then who does.
Posted By: Rich A Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/10/13 12:36 AM
I have taken the SS Badger several times when heading to Wyomong VS going around Chicago. its a slow boat to be sure. I have been going to the U.P. shoot for over 10 years and just bought a house in Channing. At least I still have the hunting and fishing. It will make a good stop over on the way to the Duluth shoot.
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/10/13 12:56 AM
Rich, Mike and the Duluth boys put on a good shoot at Old Vermilion. But why not do both? From Channing MRC is an hour closer than OV.
Posted By: billgrill Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/10/13 01:05 AM
might be the same drive as before going through Chicago for you guys from troll land? smile
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/10/13 12:58 PM
Nothing is the same when you go through Chicago.
Posted By: Rich A Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/11/13 09:17 PM
Sagola has not put anything on their web site about this moving to WI. I would have thought they would have directed shooters to the new venue.
Posted By: mark Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/12/13 01:05 AM
Rich, rest assured, STSC has agreed to update their site with venue change information as soon as MRC has their information up to date on their site. The MRC club has been meeting and working out the details and their site should be up with shoot details and application information soon.

P.S. Thanks for the bump and keeping this at the top of the page
Posted By: Eis Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/12/13 02:09 PM
Mark, sorry but for me this is very late in the game to get something posted. I don't know what the shoot is going to consist of what side games there are, etc. Maybe next year when they can get things organized and let the shooters know what's going on. So I'm out maybe next year.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 2013 UP SxS Shoot - 03/12/13 07:26 PM
MRC's website will soon include all the important information. However, just to give potential attendees an idea of what to expect:

1. 14-16 June, same weekend as usual. Open shooting Friday, program shooting Sat/Sun. Same events as the UP: sporting clays, pigeon ring, flurry.
2. Price reduction, from $325 last couple years to $295.
3. Scheduled shooting times for those who register (like the old UP format rather than last year's).
4. Side events available all weekend.
5. Banquet Saturday night.
6. $10K worth of prize guns.

Plans are moving ahead.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com