doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Franc Otte How to take the locks off my Hammer Gun - 02/24/13 03:38 PM
Lads,
Could someone advise me on how to take the locks off my old Greener hammer gun?
I know some will advise "Don't" smile
But damn it, I've been dying to take a peek for years, & have good turnscrews.
is a 1901 under lever bar action sidelock .Should the re bounding locks be cocked, or in the fired position?
I'd guess at taking the hammers off , then the through pin that pulls the locks together?
But would like to hear from someone before I try.
The worst part seems like it would be getting the hammers off their square axles, if they are a tight fit,like they should be.If they don't come of easy, I'll abort.
Cheers
franc
Franc Otto'.. You can give me a call,I have moved "LOCKS, STOCKS&Barrels, Crossed Chisles....dt.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: How to take the locks off my Hammer Gun - 02/24/13 06:11 PM
Don't even think of pulling the hammers of that gun! Give David a call as he suggested. It is really a simple job but does need to be properly done.
DT, Joe,
I think I will abort before I even try,after both your posts.
I would just love to see the innards.
OK...I promise, that's PROMISE not to do it, but why is it so tricky? ...I am honestly curious?
Its a nicely sleeved gun ,re proofed,..I bought off Duglan @ AG&L, the action has been nicely re coloured (Ken said St Ledger),engraving is rather worn & the stock chequering is also worn...but I do love it.
I was at your shop a good few years ago David,did you move far away?
Perhaps I'll just leave it alone...unless you could advise me over the blower David?..is that what you meant?
cheers
Franc
Franc; I've never had to pull the hammers first, either cocked / uncocked exposes the one bolt of two that that hold the locks on / in the stock / in the action. FWIW --- John
XCHISLESX, joe & John
I am pretty dumb,eh? :), but I believe now that "one" (not I, I promised not to) could just take the cross pin out & voile,the locks, (hammers still screwed on) should be loose on each side...for some odd reason I figured the hammer axels were fixed to each other through the stock head...like the cross pin that pulls the locks together ,not as part of a re movable lock...am I right here lads???
Why would it matter that the the locks be cocked or not?..
once again, ignorant, but honestly curios
cheers
franc
Franc,

The "axles" are each independent of each other. Each side lock is "stand alone". One can be removed from it's inlet without taking the other out. The cross pin, or screw, pulls both locks toward each other, and holds them tight in their inlets.

You really should take David up on his offer to help you over the phone, but, the hammers do not have to be removed to remove the locks. Very carefully loosen the cross pin until you see daylight under the head of it, but not enough to take it completely out. If it comes out, just screw it back in a turn or two. Now, take a rawhide or plastic faced hammer and lightly tap the head of the pin. This will gently push the entire opposite side lock out of it's inlet. Take the pin out and lay that lock aside and turn the gun so that the other lock is down, against the work mat. Using a soft slender punch of some type that will fit down the pin hole in the stock gently tap the other lock loose on the opposite side.

Again, I would rather see you talk with David, but this is how I do it. He would, most likely, be able to improve on my method.

SRH

OBTW, I always remove mine with the hammers cocked. I have seen leaf springs inlet so closely that they would hang on the bottom of the inlet if not cocked, and if forced would splinter wood off the bottom of the spring inlet.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: How to take the locks off my Hammer Gun - 02/25/13 10:51 PM
Franc,
What Stan said, but first, with the cross pin (screw) out, tap on the action body with the screwdriver handle.
Mike
I say cocked (usually - it just depends) because one of the take down screw heads can be hiding behind a hammer. Then proceed as Stan & Ami stated. --- John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com