doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: pooch Remington 3200 modifications - 03/23/13 03:48 PM
What all needs to be fixed on the 3200 when it is updated. The obvious one is the plate fixed to the breech. However I see some guns with the dot prior to the serial number with no evidence of the breech fix. I am dubious of such guns.
Posted By: JLN Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/23/13 04:20 PM
I would contact Laib's Gunsmithing out of Spicer, MN. They don't have a website, but they are one of the 3200 repair experts. They the breech fix, and they strengthen the forearm and other stuff.

I would call them and they can walk you through all the options.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/23/13 04:35 PM
The breech face plate is a fix for elongated firing pin holes and has nothing to do with the "factory update". Laib's is about the only source of either repair. They will provide you with a cost sheet for individual services. Over on the shotgunworld forums, someone recently posted the price list. The breech plate is something usually not neccesary, only needed after hundreds of thousands of rounds.
Posted By: pooch Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/23/13 07:25 PM
What does one look for when determining the gun has a factory update and not a punch mark made by an unscrupulous seller?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/23/13 07:58 PM
First off the only guns you have to worry about are the early ones with the two larger pins at the back of the receiver --

When looking at the breechface, if a gun is unmodified it will be smooth. The "update" guns will show two hex key head screw heads at the bottom corners of the breechface. The early basic Field, Skeet, Trap and "Special" Trap guns that would need the factory update all just had the dog roll-stamping on the sides of the receiver. Once guns started coming from the factory with the update they added a wreath around the dog --

By 1977 the lower pin was gone from the sides of the receiver --

Posted By: Tom Martin Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/24/13 02:26 AM
I believe that the update also included a strut added between the upper and lower tangs. The factory indicated the mod with a punch mark in the serial number, between the letters and the digits. On guns that were given the mod after serial numbers were applied, the dot was crowded in, but on guns that were originally built with the mod, additional space was allowed for the punch mark.
Posted By: pooch Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/24/13 03:41 AM
Good stuff!!!! Thanks guys!
Posted By: GLS Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/24/13 09:02 PM
Here's a 3200 "sticky" on SWG.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopi...d182215a6253298
I sent my first run 3200 to Laib's 5 years ago and surprisingly, he didn't recommend the factory "Full Monty" that Remington did for free when the problems were first noted. He changed out the ejector assemblies and that was it. Gil
Posted By: 3200mark Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/11/14 11:59 PM
I have an immaculate (no nicks or scratches) Remington 3200. It's a pre '77 (2 pins), wreath around the dog, punch mark between U & serial number (not crammed in), 2 allens on the breech face, high gloss wood, 27 1/2" skeet barrels and 29 1/2" trap barrels. I don't believe its been fired a lot. What is a fair price to ask?
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 12:28 AM
Are both sets of barrels from Remington? Two barrel sets from Remington are somewhat rare. I have the gun which was their prototype for multiple barrel 3200's.

I assume the stock has field dimensions?
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 04:49 AM
I'm down to two 3200 Trap guns. I've had a dozen of them since 1980: One of One Thousands including a "matched pair" trap & skeet with consecutive serial numbers, a live pigeon gun with 3 sets of barrels (I had the factory fit a set of 12 and 20 gauge skeet barrels to the gun), a custom shop skeet gun that was made after production ceased in 1983. They made a few every year for about 20 years.
The two I have left are a Premier Trap (500 guns made for the European market) and a Special Trap as my backup gun.
I've tried other guns for Int'l Trap but I can't break the scores that I can with a 3200.
All my 3200's have been very dependable. Any gun will break, but I have hundreds of thousands of rounds through them with very few hick ups.
Posted By: 3200mark Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 04:03 PM
I don't know if they are Remington barrels. The skeet barrels are 27 1/2 (some call it a 28") and the trap barrels are 29 1/2" and ported. Stock looks like field dimensions with high gloss finish and rubber butt pad.
Posted By: 3200mark Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 04:29 PM
I talked to gun dealer who told me why my gun doesn't seem to fit me. I told him when I was shooting with the skeet barrels I have to shoulder the gun with the butt high on my shoulder, when I have the trap barrels on, its perfect. He said the gun was designed for the trap barrels not the skeet barrels. I am now contemplating whether I should try to make the gun work for me or just sell it. My 14 year old son who's about 5' 6" loves the gun. We are both new shooters.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 05:41 PM
Give it to your lad..:)
franc
Posted By: Researcher Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/12/14 06:40 PM
Quote:
Two barrel sets from Remington are somewhat rare.

Actually, some years after the Model 3200 was dropped as a catalogue offering, Remington had a sale on 3200 barrels, and quite a few folks had extra sets fitted to their guns. One fellow at my gun club at the time sent his Model 3200 up to Ilion, and asked for one of everything they had left. He ended up with a three-gauge five-barrel set.
Posted By: 3200mark Re: Remington 3200 modifications - 03/13/14 02:28 AM
I was hoping that would not be suggested.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com