doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hoof Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 03/31/13 09:56 PM
I bought the FS Harrison hammergun that was for sale on this site last week. I just got it Good Friday, and if anything it is nicer in person. Is there anything that anyone here can tell me about the maker? There is a serial number on it, but I doubt there are any records left? I would love to know as much as I could about the gun. I have tried searching online with next to no results. I found one "wall at Cracker Barrel" quality gun like it that sold 7 years ago, but that is all I have been able to find.
What references would I be able to use to find some more information?
Does anyone else have one of these guns?
Thanks,
CHAZ

Posted By: PeteM Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison? - 03/31/13 11:34 PM
You might want to provide a hint as to country of origin?

Pete
Posted By: gunman Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison? - 04/01/13 08:16 AM
Pete here's a hint . British proof marks .
Posted By: Hoof Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison? - 04/01/13 10:24 AM
The "England" in the subject and the proof marks weren't there when he posted, I added them afterwards.
CHAZ
Posted By: lagopus Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison? - 04/01/13 05:57 PM
Nothing on that name in my library. Any clues as to any address on the top rib? All I can deduce is that it is Birmingham black powder proof between 1887 to 1896. 12 bore chambers and internal bore at 9" from the breech face at time of proof would be 14 bore or .693" to .701". Therefore if larger than .701" it would be deemed 'out of proof' here in Britain. Lagopus.....
Posted By: gunman Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison? - 04/01/13 06:05 PM
There are several Harrisons listed around the UK .There were also the well known brothers Albert and Jack Harrison in Birmingham in the 50s through to Jack retiring in the 70s possibly one of their forbears?
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/01/13 08:41 PM
Hoof,
One possibility is that it is a Birmingham made gun imported by H&D.Folsom N.Y. Amongst their many recorded brand names
is; Harrison Arms Co,[Frank].
The other possibility is that it is a gun made in Birmingham, engraved with the name of an ironmonger [hardware store]who sold guns and ammo.If there is the name of a town or city engraved on the rib it would likely be possible to confirm same.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/02/13 12:12 AM
The only reference I can find is about guns used by seal hunters:
Google Books

There is a FS Harrison Plaza in Harrisonburg, VA. Not sure that name relates to this seller.

Pete
Posted By: Hoof Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/02/13 12:26 AM

No address, "London Laminate Steel, England"

I haven't seen a lot of hammerguns, but it seems odd to me that the screw under the top lever is off center.

CHAZ

The only thing that disappoints me so far is that I can't open the gun with the right hammer cocked. I like to open the gun before dropping the hammers if I haven't fired the gun while hunting.
Posted By: gunman Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/02/13 05:59 PM
Hoof, this looks like a typical Birmingham lower price range gun .Although it seems to have stood the test of time and looks to be if fair condition for its age . As to the "off center" breech pin ,with the cam type lever and the width of the top strap if you look you will see that if the breech pin was central it would not be possible to fit or remove it as the lever will not go far enough across and would cover part of the pin head . This again is typical of many guns of this type .
Have a close look at the engraving of the name I have seen numerous guns like this that have bee sold out with no name and one has been added later by a retailer .

Please see my PM .
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/03/13 12:18 PM
Hoof,
Many Birmingham made guns such as your Harrison and those described by gunman, have for example, the top rib engraved;
"London laminated steel,"
"London fine twist,"
"Best Damascus London,"
This was sales ploy aimed at potential customers,it has no connection with London makers or the location of business named on the lock plates.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/03/13 01:13 PM
Looks like a nice gun. On my old Greener hammergun, the off center breech pin provides room for the top lever spring. I can just see the anchor for your spring in the photo.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/03/13 11:26 PM
Can hardened actions be engraved ? I'd presume that 'ironmongers' or trade guns would have the names engraved on the actions beforehand as the shops that sold such guns wouldn't have the skills necessary to properly harden them. On the other hand, the softer ribs would not be such a problem. Does that sound right ?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/03/13 11:49 PM
What Roy said

"London Damascus" was a lower grade 2 Iron Crolle' offered on Ferdinand Drissen's 1897-1898 price sheet.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/04/13 03:36 AM
I understand that it is a Birmingham gun, and that any mention of London is just marketing. I was hoping someone would have some info on FS Harrison as a gunmaker, or gunseller, whichever the case may be.
I find it hard to believe that this is the only gun so marked.
Thanks for all the info so far. I really like this gun (other than not being able to open the action with the hammers cocked) and the dimensions are close to mine with a strap on leather pad (I am tall).
CHAZ
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/05/13 10:52 PM
I've found a couple of ironmonger/hardware shops, there's F S Harrison in Wales and a Fred Harrison in England, I'll phone them up after the weekend and find out if either sold guns in the past. It's a long shot but you never know.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/06/13 04:52 AM
Originally Posted By: El Garro
I've found a couple of ironmonger/hardware shops, there's F S Harrison in Wales and a Fred Harrison in England, I'll phone them up after the weekend and find out if either sold guns in the past. It's a long shot but you never know.

Definitely "above and beyond." Thank you very much. I tried to google those businesses but found no information at all. I hope to finally try the old girl out tomorrow.
Thanks again,
CHAZ
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/11/13 05:49 PM
I've been waylaid this week but got around to phoning today. No answer was the reply. I'll give them another go tomorrow.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/12/13 02:57 PM
Managed to contact F S Harrison ironmongers in South Wales today but sadly it was a dead end. They guy on the phone told me the firm had been in business for years but as far as he knew, they had never sold shotguns.
Always worth a try though eh. I'd guess there may be an American connection as the only other Harrison that came up on the Internet was a wall hanger in an auction over there a few years ago. It looked identical to yours so maybe a Birmingham gun sold through a dealer in the states ?
Posted By: Hoof Re: Any info on F.S.Harrison, England? - 04/12/13 04:38 PM
Thank you so much for trying. I found that same old auction for the junker Harrison, and it was the only other gun marked with that name I could find online.

If anyone asks about its provenance I guess I will just tell them it is "one of two known." LOL

Thanks again,
CHAZ
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com