doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LD1 Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 06:54 PM
I have been trying to ship out a double rifle today and I have run into one problem after another.

1. Where do you buy a box that you can ship a double rifle
in? USPS - No FedEx - No UPS - No

2. Went to FedEx at Office max where I have shipped guns
before. They will no longer ship firearms or ammunition

Went to UPS Store where I have shipped guns from before.
They told me that they will not ship firearms anymore.

The USPS said that they will ship it.

Now all I need is a box. Is there a place where I can buy
boxes for shipping guns?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 06:58 PM
I buy my boxes that will fit one of the plastic gun cases from uhaul. They call them gun box. $5.35 I think. Usually about 6" too long but a good fit otherwise.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:07 PM
Midway USA sells shipping cartons for long guns.
Posted By: LeeS Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:07 PM
UPS & FedEx require that guns & ORMD be taken to their main processing centers for shipment. I would also check the services web site for valid drop-off locations since I remember that they may have some smaller terminals that won't accept them.

a regular route driver might be able pick it up but should check.

secondary shipping agents (UPS Store, OfficeMax, Mailbox etc, ...) are not supposed to be able to accept them. I would also check the services web site for valid drop-off locations since I remember that they may have some smaller terminals that won't accept them
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:11 PM
I ship my shotguns by USPS, registered mail, insured. They require the outside box to be cardboard. They require me to use a brown paper tape to cover all seams of the box. USPS sells the tape, as do office supply houses. It is water activated. I cut the tape to length and then put it on a plastic counter top and wipe it down with a wet paper towel and then stick it on. Significant learning curve and time involved in the first time shipment. After that it was a lot easier.

For me the only thing worse than shipping it USPS is shipping it some other way.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:11 PM
ld1,
yet another way for them to mess with us gun fanciers,eh?
Do you mean a box to put the rifle case in, or just a cardboard box?
If I was buying a double rifle,I hope the seller wouldn't pack it in just a cardboard,no offence meant of course.I wonder if a local gunshop might have one that was bound for the dumpster after serving its initial purpose?.
If its to put a case into, they are easy enough to make if you find an old appliance box,plus some good shipping tape (not duct)
good luck
franc
Posted By: casemaker Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:19 PM
Visit your local gun store and ask if they have any extra boxes laying around, I do this all the time to ship guns or cases
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:30 PM
I ship exactly like Mike. The USPS like brown packages and the fiberglass reinforced tape. I've shipped enough items from my local PO that I have developed a rapport with the ladies there. It makes it so much nicer.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:55 PM
You can also go to your local gunshops. They get guns in all the time and they always have boxes laying around. Shipping supplies can be bought at a Grocery Store. The Harris Teeter carries wrapping and tape.
I take my guns to the local UPS Depot. Never have any problems.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/12/13 07:56 PM
Any D/R can't be inexpensive.
Buy a decent hard case and pack it inside securely. Then cover the hardcase with cardboard like you'd wrap a present.
Cardboard sheets can be had from places like Office-Max type stores if you can't find a used packing box of some sort to slice apart, lay flat and use.
Label the inside hardcase as well in case they do get separated.

Yes the hard case can be slip out, stolen and the box continued on it's way. So can a DR in a cardboard box be slip out, stolen and the empty cardboard box continued on it's way.
All you can do is try to prevent shipping/handling damage while in transit.

Getting in to which carrier is best/worst is simple.
Ask a dozen people who have shipped guns and which carrier they've never had a problem with.
..They all come w/risk, everyone has a favorite till they have problems with them. Till then, they're great.

Posted By: old colonel Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/13/13 03:54 AM
A UPS store box option is to purchase the 10x10x48 Lamp Box. Then go to Office Max or Office Depot and buy bubble wrap (they charge way less than UPS). You can also buy a map tube from UPS that will hold a bubble wrapped barrel then bubble wrap the map tube and the butt stock. Cut down the box as it will cost less if it is not 48 inches (34 to 36 will work). Then take the box to the US Post office with a copy of the FFL of the receiver and mail it Priority Mail with insurance.

US Post insurance works better than UPS and the tracking is comparable.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/13/13 04:36 AM
I just shipped a rifle this week USPS. Here is my method. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a half sheet of 1/8" plywood. Have them cut it on their panel saw to the size for top and bottom of a box large enough for your rifle. Also get some 1" dry wall screws and a couple pieces of 1x3. Go home and cut the 1x3 into proper length for the sides and end. Save some small pieces for internal bracing. Screw bottom and sides together and put a little longer screw or a nail in each corner of the 1x3 sides. Line the box with cardboard. Use the 1x3 scraps to provide internal support for the top and bottom. (Cut hole in cardboard liner to fit these in place and screw into them from the bottom only to keep them upright.) Cushion wrap the gun and screw the lid on. Wrap the whole thing in construction paper and tape the seams with fiberglas reinforced old fashioned paper tape. Or you could cover it with cardboard and tape it as above. If you do it this way you can drive your pickup over the box and it won't crush. These boxes cost me about 15 minutes to assemble, another 15 to pack and wrap. About $8 per box. The half sheet will usually make 2 such boxes. Haven't had one damaged yet.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Trouble Shipping Gun - 04/13/13 11:26 AM
Huh? A DR comes apart just like a SxS and can be packed in a small readily-available box. If you don't want to buy a gun case which you would then pack in a corugated box, wrap the separae parts of the DR in a lot of bubblewrap and pack that securely in a stout corrugated box.

Corrugated cartons are rated by "burst strength" and, for example, boxes designed to ship clothing are much weaker than those designed for machinery or books. Get a box with a high burst strength, make certain there are several inches of padding around your gun parts and the box, strap the box with filament tape and seal it with gummed paper filament tape.

I ship my DR in a leather break-down case but even there I put bubble inside to prevent any wiggle (hence abrasion). I then wrap the case in more bubble and pack it in a cardboard carton sealed as above.

By the way, Jeff's Outfitters sells pretty nice leather take-down cases at very good prices. Not top-of-the-line but very nice and They protect your gun very well, as well as look nice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com