doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunman Anniversary - 04/19/13 06:22 PM
According to my news papers "What happened to day in history" column , The first shots were fired in what we regarded as police action against rebel colonists and you call The war of independence .
Long time ago so I guess we can forgive you for your impudence . We should have known it was a mistake to let you have guns . Happy day !
Posted By: James M Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 06:49 PM
Yep:
It was a mistake to let us have guns a mistake that you've certainly rectified by disarming your own citizens. smirk grin
Jim
Posted By: Buzz Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 06:55 PM
Gunman: Haha. I am guessing you will catch some flack from this one and it seems you asked for it too!
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 06:55 PM
"Subjects", Jim...
Posted By: lagopus Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 07:27 PM
Jim, we've got plenty of guns. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights allows it. Just wait until Obama has examined yours. Remember that when yours was written the most technologically advanced personal weapon was a flintlock rifle; they may just deceide that everything that came after that is not relevent.:-) Lagopus.....
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 07:43 PM
Pleeese.

I trust gunman was just kidding around.

Otherwise his miserable island would be speaking German by now.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 08:22 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Remember that when yours was written the most technologically advanced personal weapon was a flintlock rifle; Lagopus.....

The very same weapon that proved so superior to the smoothbore Brown Bess, and allowed freedom fighters to prevail against overwhelming numbers and resources. Remember King's Mountain, and Maj. Patrick Ferguson? Whipped by flintlock rifles, and woodsmen.

When the state of America's "gun control" has reached the pitiful state of your own, point your finger. But until then I don't think you have anything to gloat about. There are probably more handguns alone in the USA than there are total guns in the UK. O'Reilly used the number 100,000,000 total guns in the hands of Americans, last evening.

SRH
Posted By: Bill D Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 09:05 PM
Gunman, that was a good one! BTW-- I believe those were assualt weapons y'all "let" us have, not just "guns". <grin>
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

The very same weapon that proved so superior to the smoothbore Brown Bess, and allowed freedom fighters to prevail against overwhelming numbers and resources. Remember King's Mountain, and Maj. Patrick Ferguson? Whipped by flintlock rifles, and woodsmen.SRH

Their gunpowder was probably ignited by the same system as their cars------Lucas Ignition. That's what they get for pitting a Jagwire against a Ford or Chevy. grin
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Bilious Bob
Pleeese.

I trust gunman was just kidding around.

Otherwise his miserable island would be speaking German by now.
Gunman-- Waffen-Mann, Er spur nicht!! Alles ist verrukt mit dem Anglishers und zim schlecht bieren!!
Posted By: eeb Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 09:49 PM
The snide remarks in response to a little leg pulling from one of our British friends are tiresome. Lighten up. Have a beer. Enjoy the weekend.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 10:20 PM
What? What? Cheerio, Truly smile
Posted By: Doverham Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 10:29 PM
Gunman - thanks for the leg-pull. Based on this thread and the one about Dig's "dig" about inferior American guns, it would seem we've been slower to get over it then y'all have been. Cheers, Ham
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reminder, gunman.

OBTW, my condolences on the loss of your former prime minister, the Iron Lady, M. Thatcher. I am a great admirer of her, and fondly remember the days when she, and the great POTUS R. Reagan, led in the dismantling of the USSR and in ending the Cold War.

She was truly a great leader, one all females should aspire to, IMO. Hats off to G. Britain for rearing her, and sharing her with the free world.

SRH
Posted By: James M Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Jim, we've got plenty of guns. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights allows it. Just wait until Obama has examined yours. Remember that when yours was written the most technologically advanced personal weapon was a flintlock rifle; they may just deceide that everything that came after that is not relevent.:-) Lagopus.....

lagopus:
That's fine:
Then we'll just have to maintain that everything that came after the handprinted newspaper and stump to speak from is not relevent in regard to the 1st Amendment. eek grin
Jim
Posted By: Virginian Re: Anniversary - 04/19/13 11:45 PM
The "shot heard 'round the world", was the first round that began the quest for an American nation, and it was fired over gun control. I fear the last one may be as well.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 12:49 AM
Sorta reminds me of we Southerners, referring to the period of 1860-1865, call "the recent unpleasantness".

Good going, Gunman! What would life be without the spice of a little friendly competition!
Posted By: Buzz Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 12:56 AM
I too believe Gunman was just 'pulling our Leg'. I like to think of the Brits as our brethren, and we theirs. The Revolutionary War was a very long time ago and now 240 years later Britain is our very best ally. We need to and should watch each other's back in this world that is a little more than dangerous.
Posted By: eeb Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Sorta reminds me of we Southerners, referring to the period of 1860-1865, call "the recent unpleasantness".

Good going, Gunman! What would life be without the spice of a little friendly competition!

Also known as the Second American Revolution.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 10:47 AM
I wonder what would have happened instead of your revolutionary war if it had been put to a democratic vote? Initially more people were opposed to the war than for it and a lot of Americans fought for the King. Well, that's according to our version of events. Don't forget the French too. Nice that we are all friends now though. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 12:13 PM
Dickens had it well.

..."one people, divided by a common language."

Or something close to that.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:30 PM
I have served with Brits in combat in Desert Storm, OIF in Iraq and OEF in Afghanistan and can only think good things.

I love many things British, their guns, their houses, and lots of other stuff. We do have a great deal in common. However we are still different peoples sprouted from a common source we have different values.

Traditional American views of personal freedom and limited government while sprouting in England and through the Scottish Enlightenment are different from the current United Kingdom view.

I am always aware of the dangers of oversimplification on commonalities, while accepting they do bring us together.

As a Kansan who loves Doubleguns and Bird Dog I am aware that I have much in common and yet still have differences from a New Yorker who hunts. I have much in common with my fellow shooter from the UK and probably a few more differences.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:37 PM
Obama for 8 years or George III for 60.
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:45 PM
Huh?

This is the mind numbing price of living in a state of confusion.

Somewhere north of the OH border...
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:49 PM
Point: OUR tyrants are term limited.

Goofball...
Posted By: ed good Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 01:56 PM
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here." Captain John Parker, to his Minute Men on Lexington Green, April 19, 1775.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 04:56 PM
That's one thing about going to America that I like is that everyone is helpful and friendly; at least the ones I met were. The only obstacle is the Immigration Officers; they don't half mess we British about. Once in it's o.k. though. Canadians are friendly too of couse. All their immigration are worried about is if we have visited a farm recently or brought any seeds in. U.S. Immigration want to know things like if we were ever a member of the Nazi Party between 1933 and 1945. Some of the questions are a real hoot. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 08:04 PM
Of course it would be profiling if they asked if you're a muslim

Or wearing a suicide belt.

Or come from some oddball place in southern Russia.
Posted By: Cary Re: Anniversary - 04/20/13 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: gunman
According to my news papers "What happened to day in history" column , The first shots were fired in what we regarded as police action against rebel colonists and you call The war of independence .
Long time ago so I guess we can forgive you for your impudence . We should have known it was a mistake to let you have guns . Happy day !

I love the good natured teasing we often get from our cousins. No need to get a thin skin, they're on our side and we on theirs. I just can't stand them damn New Jersey Americans fat mouthin' the fierce fighters of the Southern Liberation Front in the War of Union Agression. They also ridicule the way we talk.

I wonder how many Americans remember the importance of the date?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 02:12 PM
We should not have declared independence until we lured James Purdey and Thomas Boss over here. Our loss. smile
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
We should not have declared independence until we lured James Purdey and Thomas Boss over here. Our loss. smile

They would have started building pumps and autoloaders shortly after they got here. If they wanted to eat, anyway.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eeb Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 06:42 PM
Rose and scroll on a Purdey Model 12 would be da bomb.
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 07:12 PM
This is why they stayed in England.

And why Americans think engraved machinery has class.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 07:31 PM
The only one here who mentioned anything about class, was you. That said, to a pre WWI share cropper, with a bunch of mouths to feed, it might be hard to imagine anything classier than a Remington model 10, or a Winchester model 12.
You can't eat engraving, after all.
Congrats on your very first post that has anything remotely to do with double guns (very remotely) douchebag. Why you bless us with such esteemed presence is one of life's more dubious mysteries.
I'm guessing the online vinyl love companion sites are down this week, eh?

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 09:05 PM
As always, your limited sophistication matches your lack of language.

There is little I can say to such gutter mentality.

Except perhaps, you make my point.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Anniversary - 04/21/13 11:09 PM
You have a fine point-covered by your hat, typically.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The only one here who mentioned anything about class, was you. That said, to a pre WWI share cropper, with a bunch of mouths to feed, it might be hard to imagine anything classier than a Remington model 10, or a Winchester model 12.
You can't eat engraving, after all.
Congrats on your very first post that has anything remotely to do with double guns (very remotely) douchebag. Why you bless us with such esteemed presence is one of life's more dubious mysteries.
I'm guessing the online vinyl love companion sites are down this week, eh?

Best,
Ted

Ted, my grandfather was a pre-WWI share cropper - in fact he bought his first piece of land from my father who sold it to him just before WWII so he could go to college.

Granddad would have loved a pump - all he could afford was an "Allen Hardware Co." single shot. My nephew now has the gun with clear instructions not to shoot it. It is so loose that unless you push the barrel up the firing pin won't hit the primer. And, yes, it is the first shotgun that I ever shot - complete with instruction to push the barrel up so that it would fire. If I had known then what I know now I would have been scared but, as they say, ignorance is bliss and an 8 year old will do anything with granddad.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 02:41 AM
Glad to have jarred the memory. Sorry you were exposed to the dull wit of "El Chancho" in the course of it.
My Dad used a .410 single shot as a kid, a gun he called "an Ivory" if I recall correctly. Since he was in his early teens at the beginning of WWII, his problem was ammunition, not a repeater, a problem he clearly understood.
His "go-to" gun, during the war, was a single shot .22 rifle, and he did the majority of his hunting with it, hitchhiking out to what is now Coon Rapids, and back to the Frog Town area of St. Paul.
My Dad was raised by foster parents, and the supplimental protein he provided with crappies and sunfish through the ice, and rabbit, squirrels, and the occasional pheasant was well thought of by his family, especially early in the war years.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: patrickwall Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 03:12 AM
Gunman,

Thanks for sharing the date with us, your colonial cousins - and thanks to England for being the best friend the U.S. has in the world.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
My Dad used a .410 single shot as a kid, a gun he called "an Ivory" if I recall correctly.

Probably an "Ivory" Johnson, Ted. I have heard Iver Johnson referred to as such many times.

SRH
Posted By: lagopus Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 06:46 PM
Thank you Patrick. Although Obama did say to the Israelis that they were America's best friends. I felt slighted; but I'll get over it. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 08:01 PM
he said it to the palestinians the next day...
Posted By: Virginian Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 10:58 PM
You ought to know not to believe anything Obama says.
Posted By: patrickwall Re: Anniversary - 04/22/13 11:50 PM
Logogus,

I remember clear as day that following 9/11 England played the "Star Spangled Banner" instead of "God Save the Queen" during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. That was the best symbol of friendship I've ever seen. And all the Brits I knew said they would go to war with us - and did.
Then Tony Blair, a Liberal Party Leader, joined with George W. for Iraq - and stayed with us during the surge in '06.
I can't say I agreed with British counsel during the first battle for Fallujah in April '04, but England has stayed with us when no one else has.

I've worked with a few Royal Marine Commandos and we are all Marines together - I'd serve with the Brit's any day and anywhere.
Posted By: James M Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 12:22 AM
Obama lie??
Why anyone can tell at a glance he's an experienced wing shot just by looking at this picture!! grin grin grin

BTW: Anyone know the Over/Under maker here? And is that the wad emerging from the muzzle?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 01:08 AM
It looks to be the rare "Kenyan Grade" Browning.

It comes with only one choke tube, and a left thread.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 01:45 AM
I still think he is shooting black powder. I wish someone could explain the vertical smoke plume. Looks like what blows out the vent hole when you fire a black powder cannon.
Posted By: gunman Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 06:25 PM
Patrick may I point out a slight error . Blair was the Labour Party leader . The less said about him the better .
Posted By: James M Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 06:28 PM
I wonder if they "photoshopped" the smoke in? We know that his staff has some photoshop capability inre. to birth certificates.
Also; if that is an actual picture shouldn't the gun be at full recoil at that point?
Jim
Posted By: patrickwall Re: Anniversary - 04/23/13 11:00 PM
Gunman,

I understand. My point is that even though they were different political beliefs, Blair stuck with us - England stuck with us - and that's not just as an Ally, but as a friend - the best we have. There are many beliefs, actions, etc by England with which I will disagree, but if England gets into a scrap, I hope we are there with you, just like England has been for us.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Anniversary - 04/24/13 05:16 PM
Thanks Patrick. Blair has few fans among gun owners and people who hunt or shoot here. Blair was only backing America for the fact that there would be something in it for Blair. He was big buddies with Ghadaffi, Mubarat and Burlusconi. Gives you some idea of the measure of the man. Lagopus..... p.s. his wife's not much better either.
Posted By: Doc123 Re: Anniversary - 04/24/13 09:24 PM
Gentlemen; Enjoy this mans satire...and please don't resort to insulting language (douchebag) it dishonors all of us. Remember, it was the British who coined the word "gentlemen"....a couple of quotes to ponder: "The only thing which keeps a man out of a storm, is his own decision not to enter it.............And: Samson slew a thousand phillistines with the jawbone of an ass...seems some would run off future members with the same weapon.....people who live in glass houses should never throw stones....this forum used to be about a mutual love of guns....seems more and more its a stage for sad comedy...now I know why I don't participate any longer....Even old Lowell Glenthorne held his head up...till he was run off......just my once a every few year observations...last quote: If the shoe fits...wear it...if it don't ignore it...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com