doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gregdownunder F P Baker and co - 04/29/13 07:18 AM
Hi guys,

What can you tell me about this maker?
I suspect he may have been a retailer rather than a maker, I have seen his guns here before.
Any educated guesses on who was?

If you look at the proofmarks it would appear its been reproved,1972 according to the datecode.
Interesting it has no reproof mark.
Any idea on when it was made? if I have interpreted the proofmarks correctly its between 1925 and 1955.

Its a modest little Birmingham gun weighing in a smidge under 6 pounds and should be a perfect upland gun with some 1 oz loads.

TIA

GDU.

Posted By: lagopus Re: F P Baker and co - 04/29/13 03:10 PM
I thought at first that you meant F.T.Baker who was a Birmingham maker and generally supplied quality guns. I looked in Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers and this is the bit on F.P.Baker.

F.P.Baker, 13, Panton Street, London SW1. Firearms bearing this name and address proved after 1907 have been seen but no other ref. found.

That label you have tells more than the book!

I would say that the gun was actually made by Webley & Scott and retailed by Baker. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: F P Baker and co - 04/29/13 03:22 PM
F P Baker established his business in 1865. The firm were sporting goods suppliers with several departments including a gun department; they bought most of their guns in Birmingham.
The firm's first recorded address was 1 Golden Square, at the turn of the century they were located at 2 Upper James Street, Golden Square, Regent Street. In about 1907 the firm was located at 13 Panton Street.

At some time, probably in the 1920s, Leonard Vidal retired from the Indian Army and bought the firm. Montagu Richard Reynolds Vidal was a director of the firm for many years, probably up to 1962 when he died.

In 1965 the firm published a centenary brochure entitled "1865-1965, A Century of Personal Service, Bakers of Warwick Street" (Warwick Street adjoins Regent Street and Golden Square).

From Internet Gun Club
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: F P Baker and co - 04/29/13 10:39 PM
That's good info,thanks.

Webley and Scott was my guess too,I just wondered about the third bite.

Hmm,moved to 13 Panton St. in 1907.
Would they still be using the 2 Upper James St. address on their labels post 1925?
Perhaps the gun is older than I thought,have I misinterpreted the proof marks?

GDU
Posted By: khanh Re: F P Baker and co - 04/30/13 04:59 AM
Lagopus
I have an F T Baker side lock with a Picadilly Circus address and London proofs. I thought Frederick T was a London maker although Brummy guns with London proofs and addresses are not unheard of. I have a Rosson that was sent to be proved in London but still had the Norwich address.
Posted By: lagopus Re: F P Baker and co - 04/30/13 01:45 PM
khanh, with F.T.Baker I understand that Westley Richards own the name and used the London address there for a while. I've seen some cracking F.T.'s and he had a way of coding the date into the design on the trigger guard.

I suppose Norwich is as near London as it is to Birmingham. I have an interest in the Derby end of the Rosson business with it being local to me. The Norwich end was owned by one brother and the Derby bit to the other. There is someone compiling a book on Rossons and I have sent him all my research on the Derby end. When the book comes out and I get a copy I will mention it on this site for those who may be interested. Lagopus.....
Posted By: khanh Re: F P Baker and co - 04/30/13 08:45 PM
Lagopus, I sent him all I had on Rosson as well. Looking forward to the book when it comes out
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: F P Baker and co - 05/01/13 01:45 AM
Gregdownunder
Daryl,Provided the correct information on the business of F.P Baker. Holts sold a similar gun in a recent auction. Holts confirmed that the gun was made /sold in 1937
In this era several London department stores sold guns bearing their name, Harrods is another example.
Harrods is now back in the gun business after a lapse of many years.
My opinion is that your gun was made by Webley and Scott and likely features their patent screw grip.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: F P Baker and co - 05/01/13 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
Gregdownunder
Daryl,Provided the correct information on the business of F.P Baker. Holts sold a similar gun in a recent auction. Holts confirmed that the gun was made /sold in 1937
In this era several London department stores sold guns bearing their name, Harrods is another example.
Harrods is now back in the gun business after a lapse of many years.
My opinion is that your gun was made by Webley and Scott and likely features their patent screw grip.

Thats around the era I would have thought it from ,even if its at odds with the address timeframe.
You dont happen to know the serial number and/or price of the gun sold?

Cheers,

GDU
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: F P Baker and co - 05/02/13 12:26 AM
Gregdownunder,
Holts sale, March 2012
F.P.Baker, 1Golden Square, London W1
Gun 387644,
Provenance: Gun was completed in 1937
Estimated selling price 150-250 pounds sterling.[ Price reflects damage to stock in combination with stock extension.]
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com