doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jrodcody 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 12:40 AM
Is it true that any 2 3/4" star crimped load will be approximately the same as a 2 1/2" roll crimp. In other words, if I get on the Hodgdon website and made a roll crimped 2 1/2" load with a cut down AA hull and a recipe from a 2 3/4" load, will pressures remain similar and performance be close, out will I simply blow up my gun or myself?

Also, simple solutions for cutting the hulls would be appreciated.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 01:45 AM
Pressures will be very similar and the load data does interchange quite nicely. Good shooting!
Posted By: GaryW Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 01:59 AM
Ballistic Products has reloading manuals for 2.5" loads and data to make 2.5" hulls from 2 3/4" hulls along with wads, tools, and just about everything you need for specialty shotshell loading.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

"Last time I saw a chance like you, I shot about there."
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Jrodcody
will pressures remain similar and performance be close, out will I simply blow up my gun or myself?

Not to worry if anything roll crimped shells will create slightly lower chamber presuures.
Posted By: Jrodcody Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I created a simple cutting mechanism by taking a piece of 3/8" iron gas pipe and screwing it down to my work bench, measured out so that a razor knife could cut to the right length. Then I took the bolt out of my razor knife and put a screw through that hole and into the side of the bench. The knife pivots on the screw, contacting the shell, which is placed over the pipe, and cutting it as I hand turn the shell. Turned out pretty handy and cuts very straight and cleanly. Cost me about $4 for the section of pipe and some new razor blades.

Now, I will just have to see if I can get the shells to roll crimp.
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 04/30/13 08:39 PM
Gaep in Italy has some really high quality roll crimpers.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: 2 1/2 " 12 ga reloading question - 05/01/13 01:38 AM
Ballistic Products have hull cutters, I use one. Check out their online catalogue, although Mr Cody's sounds fine, I might use a 1/2 wood dowel instead of an iron pipe
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com