doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CraigF Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/12/13 03:40 PM
2 bore double rifle

Wifie won't authorize me ording one of these...
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/12/13 03:59 PM
I'd just like to see someone touch one of those rounds off.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/12/13 08:36 PM
2 bore here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU

Well here is a 4 Bore being shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HssPND1gVOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQhIVrIapO8
Posted By: JohnM Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/12/13 11:51 PM
A normal household tool, one may say. Just not an appliance the wife may properly appreciate. Even the old "keep the woodchuckies out of the garden" argument would be a tough sell.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/13/13 08:23 PM
Here's a quick video of Cal Pappas shooting his 4 bore double rifle.
Either an 1850 grn round ball or a 2400 grn slug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly140tZ4-rU
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/13/13 08:50 PM
The reason to make that gun must be because he can. No purpose, no need for such a brute. From a personal viewpoint the lines are wrong and it looks like a 2x4 with barrels and triggers. Proportions are just not pleasing. Look at some of the British monster doubles and they are refined upscale versions of a classic double gun. This looks like a Bikal on steroids or one of those cheap Chinise doubles .
Posted By: CowboyCS Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/13/13 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
The reason to make that gun must be because he can. No purpose, no need for such a brute. From a personal viewpoint the lines are wrong and it looks like a 2x4 with barrels and triggers. Proportions are just not pleasing. Look at some of the British monster doubles and they are refined upscale versions of a classic double gun. This looks like a Bikal on steroids or one of those cheap Chinise doubles .

The reason to build it was because a paying customer wanted one. The reason it looks the way it does is because that is exactly how the customer spec'd it out. If I had had my way it would have had different lines a much lighter profile on the barrels and a much different layout on the stock and much darker stain but the man with the money gets to decide how these things end up. I also would have like it to come out weighing about 32 pounds instead of 44 but he wanted the very heavy and long profile on the barrels. BUT he is very happy with the way it turned out and I am very happy with his money.

I would have preferred to give it a profile more like the single shot 2 Bore I built a couple years ago.

If you want to see video's you can go to my website or my blog and have a look around there are 11-ish hours of video on the double rifle build including some shooting videos and there are several videos on my website of me shooting the single shot.

[url=]http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309472[/url]
[url=]http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/2borejonesfinished.htm[/url]
[url=]http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/2boredoublerifle.htm[/url]

To each their own...

Colin
Posted By: skeettx Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/14/13 12:24 AM
Colin
Thanks, Money does talk smile
Mike
Posted By: popplecop Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/14/13 12:32 PM
At my age and having both shoulders repaired I gave my 10 ga. to my grandson. Just looking at 2 & 4 bores my shoulders ache, also as heavy as they are doubt if I could even hold one up thankfully.
Posted By: CraigF Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/14/13 08:21 PM
Colin:

I couldn't help but notice they are both south paw guns. Very inpressive workmaship.

Two questions:
1. What does the double measure across the balls?
2. How much does the action alone weigh?

Thx - Craig
Posted By: CowboyCS Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/15/13 11:50 AM
CraigF,

Thank You.

Yep, two different customers both left handed. The gentleman that I built the single shot for passed away from cancer in March, it was for sale last I heard.

1. The balls measure 1.326" diameter and across the breechface the action measures just a little under 4".
2. I never thought to weigh just the action so I can't say for sure but better than 5 pounds for sure. It started out as a block of 8620 3" x 4" x 12" then I machined away everything that didn't look like a gun. I could do the math and figure out what it weighed if you really wanted to know.

Colin
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/15/13 01:44 PM
Colin;
One question from me, what is your bore diameter on these 2-bores. I don't recall if it was the single or not but do recall seeing about a modern made 2-bore & as I recall the bore diameter was more like that of true 4. Per the proof house charts a 2 would masure 1.325" with 4 being 1.052". I know that at least some of the early 4's built for paper shells were proofed as 6's. Since you said the "Ball" you were using for this gun weighed 3,600 grains I assume you are not using a spherical ball as such. Certainly way out of this ol pore'boys price range but interesting reading never-the-less. As a retired machinist model-maker I can certainly appreciate what all you had to do to build an item like this on a non-production basis.
Posted By: CowboyCS Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/16/13 10:29 AM
The rifle you are referring to with the 4 Bore "bore" was made by Giles Whittome and it shoots conicals that weigh up to 3600grs.

The 2 Bores I build are a true 1.325" groove diameter and shoot a 3500gr Cast Lead Round Ball or a Turned Brass 3500gr Conical.

The reason the double is priced so high is because I really am not interested in building another one, they are very time consuming and difficult to build and the regulation process is brutal and takes weeks to do. That price keeps me from having to deal with a bunch of emails and phone calls and hopefully deters anyone who isn't really serious about wanting one.

Colin
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/16/13 12:50 PM
Colin;
The 3600 grain balls came from the link in the very first post which included this;
Quote:
This 2 bore double rifle regulation is for 500 grains of black powder and a 3600 grain round ball. A 3 inch group is considered a well regulated double rifle.

Watch Colin Stolzer explain and regulate his custom 2 Bore Jones Underlever Double Rifle.

I assumed this to be your rifle but by the time I posted had forgotten it specifically said Round ball. I believe the one I had seen about which was not a true 2-Bore diameter did use a conical "Ball".
As I said I fully appreciate what is involved in making such as this on a one-off basis & understand the Costs to do so.
Posted By: CowboyCS Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/17/13 12:04 AM
It might be a typo...I'm not affiliated with the US Shooter website. It's nice of other websites to re-post my builds, I appreciate the free advertising but much like this thread I don't have any control over what others are posting.

Some times if things are grossly misrepresented I will contact the webmaster and let them know...being a small one man business I also happen to be the IT department for my company and there aren't enough hours in the day to spend tracking down every place my stuff gets posted.

What kind of machining/modeling did you do before you retired?

Colin
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Custom 2 bore double rifle - 05/17/13 11:50 AM
Colin;
I made wind tunnel models for the Aero-Space industry. I had 35+ years in the machinist trade with 23+ of them spent as a modelmaker. I saw a lot of changes take place in those years as we went from various manual methods, to NC & then CNC controlled Mills & Lathes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com