doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Granger Rogers action - 07/05/13 02:10 PM
hello
I am looking for photos that show Rogers action sidelock guns
thank you in advance
Posted By: justin Re: Rogers action - 07/05/13 04:16 PM
If you google it you'll find lotsa photos of them. I did
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: Rogers action - 07/05/13 05:54 PM
Many James Lang guns from late 1880s to mid 1890s used this design. They often have a scalloped lock plate as did Hollands of that era.
Posted By: Granger Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 08:30 AM
Originally Posted By: justin
If you google it you'll find lotsa photos of them. I did

I searched on google, I do not find
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 10:39 AM
Try "screw grip".
Posted By: justin Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 11:28 AM
I searched "Rogers action shotgun" about 12-16 listings down there are some
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 01:27 PM
Rogers' action sidelock guns.

The patent action you ask about was widely used in the 20th century as a 'trade' action by many gunmakers. It appears of guns bearing many different names. It was designed as a simple and cheaply made gun and was widely successful. Very basic in early form, it underwent developmental changes and became rather more sophisticated in time.

It was patented in 1881 by two men - John Rogers and John T Rogers. The patent number is 397 of 1881.

The patent is for a basic, back action lock with a dipped edge lock plate. These lock plate shapes changed over time.

It originally has a two pin bridle and a 'V' leaf spring, the lower limb of which also acts as a sear spring.

The action was developed and improved over the years. The bridle became three pin, then a separate sear spring was added.

Later an intercepting sear was added, later still, a bar-action version was adopted. J.P Clabrough had the rights to manufacture and a lot of trade guns were made for others by them. Deeley ejectors were often used in ejector models from the mid 1880s.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 03:11 PM
At least by 1897, it was being used on guns which were far from cheaply made. The Webley & Scott Premier, for example, was a Rogers-action gun.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 04:18 PM
Granger,
I suggest that you contact Larry Shelton regarding the Clabrough/Rogers connection.

lsheltonsxs@sbcglobal.net
Steve Helsley
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 05:57 PM
Double Gun Journal, Winter 2002, page 165. An article written by David J. Baker detailing a "Rogers" conversion done to a Chas. Lancaster Model A. Good pics, excellent explanation of the works as well.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Rogers action - 07/06/13 09:29 PM
There's a decent photo (a bit dark) of a Rogers action lock on p. 18 of Crawford and Whatley's book on Scott.
Posted By: Granger Re: Rogers action - 07/07/13 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Double Gun Journal, Winter 2002, page 165. An article written by David J. Baker detailing a "Rogers" conversion done to a Chas. Lancaster Model A. Good pics, excellent explanation of the works as well.

if someone could scan or take photos of the Article for me it would be really nice. I looked on the website of the magazine apparently I can not order it ;-( merci par avance
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com