doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 12:52 PM
Tomorrow is the opening day for grouse shooting in the U.K.
In common with most of of the world, the U.K has experienced unusual/severe weather during the past year. Just wondered what impact this might have had on the prospects for grouse shooting in the coming season?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 01:23 PM
George Earl, "Going North, King's Cross Station, London", 1893 for the Glorious 12th

Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 02:41 PM
Roy, yes. Not many grouse moors actually bother to start that early though as they usually wait until the young birds are bit stronger on the wing.

Now, straight from the Horse's mouth; or at least his wife's, I have just telephoned my grouse moor Gamekeeper friends house. This particular grouse moor in North Derbyshire seems to have had some sort of problem with Heather Beetle, heather being the staple food of grouse, and hasn't done very well so not known if there will be a shoot this year. I go working my dogs there and have been going there for about 40 years. Some years there are plenty and some not so many. Being totally wild they are at the mercy of the weather and other factors and are somewhat cyclical having ups and downs for no discernable reasons. Grouse moor Keepers are a rather pessimistic crowd anyway and there never is enough grouse to hear them talk.

According to his wife some other Derbyshire moors have got dates for shooting later this month but not known if my local one will be having a shoot this year. It will be the first time they have missed in my time. They normally have around three driven days with just one some poor years.

The Going North picture has another called Coming South. They are very large pictures and hang in the National Railway Museum in York. I will be there at the museum in October. The pictures are very impressive and filled with detail.

We have had some odd weather but then again English weather is always a bit odd. Last year we had a very warm mild spring with drought like conditions followed by a cold very wet summer unlike Scotland where it was warm and dry. This year we had a long cold winter and spring followed by a very hot summer. A wet period when the grouse chicks are hatching can be very bad as it chills them also there are not enough insects for the chicks.

I'll keep you informed on the subject when I have a bit more information if you are interested.

My old Chessie and a part of the bag. She is guarding them and would not allow anyone but me to appraoch at this stage. Lagopus.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/lagopus/PictureFile902.jpg
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 02:43 PM
Sorry, wrong bit. Try this. Lagopus.....

Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 03:02 PM
"Going North" and "Coming South" are two of my favourite pictures. You used to be able to buy very nice quality prints of those two pictures. I have seen the (huge) originals in York, and have the (rather more modest sized) prints hanging in my house.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 03:06 PM
"Perth Station, Coming South", 1895

Gordon, Irish and English Setters, Pointers and even a Collie! smile

Posted By: gunman Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 03:57 PM
Ah yes the panic by many to get their guns out of the gunshop ,that they only remembered to take in last month. Very few will start shooting on the twelfth and some have never shot grouse but who knows they might get an invite .As much chance as me winning the lottery on that one .
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 04:04 PM
"Punch" 1910
First Dog (hired for the season). "That's the fifteenth time running he's missed." Second Dog. "None too safe either; let's chuck it."

Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 05:53 PM
I wonder if the gentleman with the four setters on lead at the center of the painting might not be Percival Lewellin himself. They sure look like some of his dogs. But then agian why would he come to London when he lived in Wales? I think it would be more likely he would have caught the train to Scotland at Chester, Liverpool or perhaps Manchester.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 05:54 PM
Gunman, I had to turn down a driven day on Barningham Moor, all expenses paid, as they wouldn't give me the time off work! Semi retired now and work flexy so no problem. I have also shot on Lord Derby's moor in Derbyshire on a walk one stand one day. Walked up grouse can be great fun and not expensive. I would like to have a go with muzzle loaders behind pointers like it was done 150 years ago. Lagopus.....
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 06:02 PM
My late Godfather used to shoot grouse over a pointer with a muzzle loader, - a flint gun if the weather was good, otherwise a percussion Joe Manton 12 bore s/s - which I now have. I think the flint gun was also a Manton, but can't be sure on that.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK
"Going North" and "Coming South" are two of my favourite pictures. You used to be able to buy very nice quality prints of those two pictures. I have seen the (huge) originals in York, and have the (rather more modest sized) prints hanging in my house.

I have seen those pictures for sale somewhere but I cannot remember where I saw them. I'd love to have prints of the pair. Emily will just LOVE two more hunting theme pics for the wall. Anybody know where they might be available?...Geo
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I have seen those pictures for sale somewhere but I cannot remember where I saw them. I'd love to have prints of the pair. Emily will just LOVE two more hunting theme pics for the wall. Anybody know where they might be available?...Geo

Im pretty sure I got mine from Malcolm Innes Gallery in Edinburgh, but it was a long time ago.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 08:03 PM
Both are available here George
http://www.memoryprints.com/image/89649/earl-george-going-north-kings-cros-station-london-1893
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 08:22 PM
We can't start that early here in the States. However, there used to be (may still be) a group of sports in Des Moines who'd celebrate the Glorious 12th by driving out to the countryside and shooting bridge pigeons.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/11/13 10:32 PM
Thanks Dr. Drew and UK-John both. I'll place an order with Memory Prints tomorrow...Geo
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 04:12 AM
Heres an excellent grouse shooting video that yall should enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu3yzrA_8d8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted By: GMCS Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 10:02 AM
Wow a Chessie in England. The way Brits love dogs ... Has She started a Hand and Arm collection?
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 10:30 AM
Would love to do it one day but prices are in the stratosphere
frown still maybe if the lottery comes in !
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 04:04 PM
GMCS, I've had Chessies for some years now. A rare breed here. I have two at the moment. They are real characters and good general purpose dogs. The younger of the two I have at the moment will stand on its hind legs like a performing poodle to get a better look at what's going on. She will stand like that for some time. Old Sammie, the one in the photo, was a brilliant deer tracker. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 04:25 PM
Good hinting all who keep the jungle law smile

I've recently stumbled on a spiritful description of a pre-12th frenzy in 1860s, in a book by James Dougall (the gunmaker). He describes early August as a gunmaker's hell, a time when everyone who previously disclaimed any intention to shoot grouse this year would suddenly wake up and send in their guns for inspection and repairs. One gentleman came in on the 8th or 9th with an order to have his gun rebarreled, and on calling at 11th and finding the job not done, complained about slow service smile I can copypaste the complete text here if anyone's interested.
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/12/13 05:53 PM
Those interested in learning more on Grouse shooting in 18-19 century U.K. the book;" Going to the Moors," by Ronald Eden is
a must read! The book is well researched and includes many period illustrations.
Posted By: GMCS Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/13/13 09:38 AM
Wonderful dogs. I miss mine he's been gone over 10 years. My Hunting buddy still double checks the truck before opening the door to make sure he's not in it when we go duck hunting.
Posted By: GLS Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/14/13 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: GMCS
... Has She started a Hand and Arm collection?

I spit coffee on the keyboard early a.m. when I read this. Thanks for the Tuesday kick-start. Gil
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/14/13 01:35 AM
I envy the British. Any time you can stand still and have the game come to you, well that is like the cat's meow!
No kidding though any reports on how the grouse season opening was?
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/16/13 12:52 PM
Just got a call to say that my local moor will be shooting on the 12th., of September that is, so you will have to await the report from that one. Lagopus.....
Posted By: eightbore Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/16/13 01:30 PM
I won't be in GB for grouse, but I can watch the You Tube videos. Some of them are really good. One question, though. Do the Brits really understand each other? What keeps me from travelling to GB would be the embarrassment of not understanding one g..dmn word they say.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/16/13 04:28 PM
Don't worry; we have the same problem. :-) Lagopus.....
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/16/13 05:20 PM
That reminds me of an Englishman who used to come often from the head office to inspect my wife's production site. I don't remember exactly which part of England he was from, only that he cheered for Blackburn, but he was difficult to understand at time, especially off work after a few drinks. Most Russians he met never gave a notice to his accent, except when he said the word "Russia". He pronounced it "Roosha". That's when everybody rushed to correct him. He'd laugh it off, saying "Hey, I'm English. It's my language, I am the one to tell you how to pronounce which word!"
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/17/13 04:10 PM
Humpty, regional English dialects fascinate me. If I dropped into a local Derbyshire dialect someone from a neighbouring county may undersatnd me reasonably well but someone from a couple of hundred or so miles away would hardly undersatnd a word. Being used to Derbyshire I can place people to the town even though they are only a few miles apart by odd words they speak. Surely, in Russia you must be able to pick a person out from the region they come from by what they say.

Anyway, we are slightly off thread. I have just been sorting out my dates for the forthcoming pheasant shoots. Although the season starts on the 1st. October the first shoots aren't until mid November. We tend to take our time here and rarely rush out on the first day of the season. I think it is because the seasons are long no one seems in any hurry. Lagopus.....
Posted By: trw999 Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/19/13 04:12 AM
Lagopus, I always thought it was because the birds had not fully matured to full flight capability and it was not sporting to shoot the low birds - which I don't anyway!

Again OT, I was raised in Leicestershire, schooled in Derbyshire, work in London and live in Essex. I'm glad to say I believe most folk understand my accent!

Tim
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/19/13 03:26 PM
Tim, I added that as our American cousins may think it odd that we don't start as soon as the season opens. True pheasant do need a bit more time to get strong on the wing for driven shoots where they are this years poults.

I originate from north Derbyshire but now live in west Derbyshire. If you were schooled in the county from Leicestershire I suspect you are possibly an old Reptonian. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Salopian Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/19/13 08:33 PM
Allright me Duck!
Posted By: trw999 Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/20/13 09:55 AM
Lagopus, spot on; an OR I am! (Like my father, uncle and godfather before me).

Tim
Posted By: lagopus Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/20/13 03:39 PM
Excellent school. Schooled in the capital of the ancient Kingdom of Mercia. Repton School; caning kids since 1557!

Salopian, that's East Derbyshire from Ilkeston north to Chesterfield. Seems to be a term used in the old coal mining areas. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Glourious 12th. - 08/20/13 08:33 PM
Tamworth is the capital of the ancient kingdom of Mercia! Offa Ruler of Mercia built his palace in Tamworth 755 A.D.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com