doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ChessieDog inherited old double - 08/17/13 07:04 PM
I have a 12 gauge with 32" damascus barrels and hammers. The name engraved into the locks appears to be something T. Sterling. Would love to have more information on this gun. Will post pics if I can figure it out.
Posted By: ChessieDog Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 07:36 PM
Here's the photo.

Posted By: ChessieDog Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 07:41 PM
and a pic of the proof marks. Thanks in advance for any information!
Lance
Posted By: skeettx Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 07:51 PM
Belguim

see here

http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 08:01 PM
It is an 'H.J. Sterling' by an unknown Belgian maker and sold by Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., Chicago; probably 1898-1910.
Please note is does not carry Smokeless proof, has Twist barrels, was not of high quality when new, and no attempt should be made to shoot the gun.
Posted By: ChessieDog Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 08:18 PM
Thanks Drew and Skeettx.
It's safely a wall hanger now but I always wondered where it was from. With the info you guys provided and a little more internet sleuthing I was able to find out that it was likely one of the trade names used by Crescent firearms.

Cheers,
Lance
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 08:30 PM
Lance: 'H.J. Sterling' is on the list of H&D Folsom/Crescent tradenames, but the only examples I have seen have been Belgian ie. not made by Crescent. It is possible that Folsom was the importer for H.S.B.
More infro here
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1OxZo5Tkvx2G8eYf747QR9B5RJdN6Siu5JGIhfguSXXQ
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: inherited old double - 08/17/13 09:13 PM
I agree it is very low quality (when new), but at first blush it doesn't look terrible now. By what judgement do you gents determine it to be unsafe to shoot? Bore condition, being within proof, bore diameter and wall thickness would seem to be the way to make that determination, all of which are unknown facts.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 11:26 AM

I'd be happy to stuff a 3" magnum in and let you proof test it ?
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 03:43 PM
How about a 2.5" proof load at 13,000 psi fired 2x in each barrel, fired from a safe distance via a string?

That would be how CIP would establish safety.

For a learned batch of enthusiasts you guys sure dont go long on facts to assist this gent in determining the safety of his gun.

Yes it's Belgian crap but its also a family heirloom. I'm sure if it was established to be safe this fellow would enjoy shooting it occasionally.
Posted By: eightbore Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 03:48 PM
Rookhawk, safety is hard to determine on an internet site. If I had the gun in hand and could measure wall thickness and determine breeching condition, I would be glad to voice an opinion.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 03:52 PM
What eightbore said.....and please, please, keep condemning all things Damascus or pattern welded. They aren't safe with CO2 cartridges, let alone black powder or nitro for black loads.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 03:57 PM
Maybe he could shoot it with "Savage Four Tenner"insert barrels, or 12 ga/410 chamber inserts; then everyone would be satisfied.I wouldn't want to tell anyone their family heirloom is a "piece of crap", even if I thought it was.
Mike
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I wouldn't want to tell anyone their family heirloom is a "piece of crap", even if I thought it was.
Mike
No, don't do that, that's what we have jOe for (LOL).
Steve
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: inherited old double - 08/18/13 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: sharps4590
What eightbore said.....and please, please, keep condemning all things Damascus or pattern welded. They aren't safe with CO2 cartridges, let alone black powder or nitro for black loads.

Are you being serious, or sarcastic?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com