doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 RST 16s on backorder! - 08/24/13 09:12 PM
Evidently they're out of powder for now. We're waiting patiently...
Posted By: Replacement Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/24/13 11:01 PM
Obama strikes again.
Posted By: Garbi Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 12:54 AM
Glad I stocked up!
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 01:48 AM
B&P 16's, 1 1/16 oz loads are pretty nice hunting loads IMHO. Might tide you over if you can't get RST's. I like the RST 7/8 oz loads for shooting clay pigeons.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 02:32 AM
The B&P 16 ga F2 is 1 1/16 oz @ 1280 fps. In a 6 lb. gun they kill well at both ends! I use them very sparingly for left bbl loads when the birds don't want to hold.

The RST 1 oz load @ 1200 fps is noticeably more comfortable to shoot as you would expect. Thankfully I have a good supply.

The B&P 16 ga F2 should be a fine load in heavier guns as it has the same ballistics as the 12 ga 1 1/16 High Pheasant which is excellent.
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
The B&P 16 ga F2 is 1 1/16 oz @ 1280 fps. In a 6 lb. gun they kill well at both ends! I use them very sparingly for left bbl loads when the birds don't want to hold.

The RST 1 oz load @ 1200 fps is noticeably more comfortable to shoot as you would expect. Thankfully I have a good supply.

The B&P 16 ga F2 should be a fine load in heavier guns as it has the same ballistics as the 12 ga 1 1/16 High Pheasant which is excellent.
Whatever you think Brittany Man. I hope you guys don't buy any of them because they are in short supply at times too.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 05:03 AM
[quote=buzz] "Whatever you think Brittany Man. I hope you guys don't buy any of them because they are in short supply at times too."

Just stating the facts, not knocking your choice of the 16 ga B&P F2. What I think is that in a 6 lb. gun the B&P 16 ga F2 load with the velocity adjusted to 1250 fps @ 3 feet has 20 foot pounds of recoil compared to 16 foot pounds of recoil for the 1 oz RST load @ 1200 fps. That's a 25% increase in recoil which is significant to me.

The difference would only be 2 foot pounds if the B&P F2 load velocity was at a more reasonable 1200 fps. While I'm thinking the additional 1/16 oz of shot helps I don't think the additional velocity increases down range killing power enough to warrant the increase in recoil.

It irritates me that we currently don't have more choices in quality factory hunting loads @ 1200 fps in all gauges but the 16 ga is especially slim pickings.
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 07:53 AM
And thus the reason so many of us 16 ga enthusiasts reload. I shoot targets, dove in a week, and quail with 3/4 oz of 8's, and smile every time I pull the trigger.

Mike
Posted By: 1cdog Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 01:17 PM
I shoot quail, dove & sporting clays with 3/4 oz. of #8's in a 12 bore, 2.5 inch shell (RST's). Wish I had a 16 to try that load in.
Posted By: gjw Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 01:23 PM
The 16ga F2 is not a low pressure load, while the length is 2 5/8" the pressure is 9857psi. So it's a bit hot for vintage guns proofed for 3 1/4 Ton.

They do thump you, but they do work great in a heaver gun if your not shooting a ton of them as others have said.

Good Luck!

Greg
Posted By: eightbore Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 01:30 PM
I use Remington Game Loads in fluid steel guns. The box says 2 1/2 dram equivalent, one ounce. I assume they are under or at 1200 fps. I do not have any idea what the pressure is, but it is the most sensible load available commercially. My 23 flats were all accumulated when Dick's had them on sale for about fifty bucks a flat minus bonus points. Watch for my estate sale.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 02:03 PM
eightbore,

That is good to know. I found that Remington still lists the 16ga
1 oz Game Load @1200 fps as available.

Should be a good load for guns where SAAMI pressure spec isn't an issue.

Finding a retailer that carries them might take some work though.
Posted By: gjw Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 02:16 PM
Here's some retailers that carry 16ga ammo in all flavors. Prices are from low to high:

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=shotgun&cal...amp;find_ammo=1

Good Luck!

Greg
Posted By: King Brown Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 02:25 PM
I'm in trouble for even asking:

Is worry about Obama the reason, partly, or something else?

I ask because supply from reports here appears uneven across the US.
Posted By: RCC Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 03:45 PM
If anyone who needs either RST or B&P 16 loads can wait until I return north to my Montana home late in October, I have several flats in my stores up there I will sell .

Now 70, I seriously doubt that I will shoot up the many, many flats of shotgun game loads I have in all the gauges, so I would part with some.

I probably will sell off 20 or more SxSs in the spring, including 16 and 20 bore British guns.

I would like to see folks here have first go at them.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 04:46 PM
You need to stack them more neatly so you can go ten high or better.
Posted By: RCC Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 05:08 PM
Like this

crazy blush smile
Posted By: Replacement Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/25/13 05:11 PM
Quote:
I seriously doubt that I will shoot up the many, many flats of shotgun game loads I have in all the gauges,

Uh oh, I have just seen the future.
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/26/13 02:27 AM
In desperate times, you can get Polywad 16 gauge loads. Less reliable than rst but available.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/26/13 03:28 AM
My goodness, RCC, 70 is the new 50.......or so I keep trying to convince my 72 year old body! Heck, I'm still buying shotguns........
Posted By: M&M Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/26/13 06:36 AM
I guess I was just lucky or ordered what they had in stock, but I placed an order with RST Aug. 19 and it was delivered on the 24th.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/26/13 11:31 AM
So, Joe Wood is still buying shotguns. "News of the Day"
Posted By: Mills Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/27/13 01:18 PM
We must have made it just under the wire too. We ordered last Monday and the flat was here Wednesday. I don't know what I would do if I could not shoot my new 16 gauge Parker
Posted By: Mills Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/27/13 01:42 PM
Well, I just ordered a flat of 12 and a flat of 16 and the order went through
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/27/13 03:14 PM
What I'm told is that we're waiting on the smaller shot sizes ( 71/2 & 8s)to ship. You can order all you want, they just don't have any.
Posted By: Pete Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/27/13 10:25 PM
Luckily, shot shells have been easier to get than rifle/pistol ammo. However, the final of the 1.6 BILLION rounds Obama ordered to keep it from the evil/dangerous public was delivered by the end of June and there will NOT be a reorder because the Republicans know they got snookered and are now investigating Homeland Security who made the order. It's all being stored now in New Mexico. That leaves 140,000,000 rounds being made monthly for the public. Whether it will have the shelves full enough for hunting season is unlikely. Some might have to buy a new gun in a caliber for which ammo is available. The UN treaty was defeated by 4 votes. That would have meant registration of all guns and ammo.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/28/13 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
What I'm told is that we're waiting on the smaller shot sizes ( 71/2 & 8s)to ship. You can order all you want, they just don't have any.
Try Bachelders in Grand Rapids- Lori had about 10 boxes of 166 gauge 2.5" 7/8 ounce number 8 shot in the now defunct New Era brand-I used some New Era shells in June 2010 at Sagola, Brian was a great guy and a active shooter- but left for his "Mission From God" gig- so no more New Era's--FYI
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 02:43 AM
No shortage at Polywad, evidently. I ordered a flat of 16 ga spreaders Sunday evening and they came today.

SRH
Posted By: Dave K Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Pete
Luckily, shot shells have been easier to get than rifle/pistol ammo. However, the final of the 1.6 BILLION rounds Obama ordered to keep it from the evil/dangerous public was delivered by the end of June and there will NOT be a reorder because the Republicans know they got snookered and are now investigating Homeland Security who made the order. It's all being stored now in New Mexico. That leaves 140,000,000 rounds being made monthly for the public. Whether it will have the shelves full enough for hunting season is unlikely. Some might have to buy a new gun in a caliber for which ammo is available. The UN treaty was defeated by 4 votes. That would have meant registration of all guns and ammo.

Here is one of the guys who was in charge of ordering ammo for DHS-on "paid" administrative leave currently.

""A Department of Homeland Security employee who works on, among other things, the procurement of guns and ammunition for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, spends his nights and weekends preparing for a coming race war and advocating for anti-gay causes, according to a new report from the Southern Poverty Law Center."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/...-warrior/68600/

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/08/28/DHS-Knew-About-Racist-Employee-s-Activities-Since-2010
Posted By: Garbi Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Pete

This is laughable, and not supported by facts. If anyone actually wants to see the real numbers read:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/04/04/The-Great-DHS-Ammunition-Stockpile-Myth

Or just sit around and wait for the black helicopters, either way... whistle
Posted By: Julio Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 01:38 PM
From the article linked above...

"A well-trained police officer will expend a minimum of 2,000 to 5,000 rounds per year, yet may never fire their weapon in defense. There is a significant disparity between rounds fired for training and those fired in a real world scenario."

I know dozens of cops, and they don't fire that many rounds in a lifetime, let alone a single year.
Posted By: MilRob Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Julio

I know dozens of cops, and they don't fire that many rounds in a lifetime, let alone a single year.

That is scary
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 03:36 PM
All that worry for next to nothing. I just ordered 2 cases RST 16's and Alex told me they are shipping today.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 08/29/13 09:03 PM
Good luck with that. We still can't get the smaller shot sizes.
Posted By: Buzz Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 12:03 PM
Got my 2 flats of 16b #8's yest as promised by Alex. I guess they are back in business on these 16's with no BS there.
Posted By: Hussey Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 02:17 PM
Been waiting for 2-1/2", 12 ga paper hulls and talked with Alex yesterday. Sounds like it's more of an issue with RST being able to keep up with demand (due in large part to the increased use of older damascus barreled guns) than dark deep political issues. Good for RST - glad to know there is another US company out there being successful doing what they do and doing it well.
Posted By: Hussey Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Julio
From the article linked above...

"A well-trained police officer will expend a minimum of 2,000 to 5,000 rounds per year, yet may never fire their weapon in defense. There is a significant disparity between rounds fired for training and those fired in a real world scenario."

Might explain why PO's/LE only actually hit what they are shooting at <40% of the time. Wonder how many rounds the average CPL/CCW holder shoots/year?
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 02:31 PM
Jay Gardner- now there's a name I remember. I saw you years ago at the OGC show at Roberd's Center in Wilminn, Ohio and you had some great guns. Mainly Foxes. I looked for you for a few years because I was interested in buying one, but I never saw you again. I don't belong to OGC anymore and it has been a few years since I have been up there. But you sure did have some nice guns the one time I saw you. Hope you are doing OK. smile
Posted By: Hussey Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
Jay Gardner- now there's a name I remember. I saw you years ago at the OGC show at Roberd's Center in Wilminn, Ohio and you had some great guns. Mainly Foxes. I looked for you for a few years because I was interested in buying one, but I never saw you again. I don't belong to OGC anymore and it has been a few years since I have been up there. But you sure did have some nice guns the one time I saw you. Hope you are doing OK. smile

Jimmy, that wasn't me but I believe our paths have crossed before. If I recall correctly, you told me about a gun shop just off 75, north of Dayton. That was a long time ago. How are you?
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: RST 16s on backorder! - 09/04/13 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Jay Gardner
Originally Posted By: Jimmy W

Jimmy, that wasn't me but I believe our paths have crossed before. If I recall correctly, you told me about a gun shop just off 75, north of Dayton. That was a long time ago. How are you?
I am getting by, OK. I thought that was you I saw at the show with the Foxes. Sorry. That store was up near Tipp City. Old English Outfitters. They are still there as far as I know. Nice to hear from you again.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com