doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GaryD007 forend recheckering - 08/25/13 11:16 AM
Guys I need your help in finding someone to recut the checkering on the forend of my double rifle. I am looking for quality work that can be done in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: forend recheckering - 08/25/13 03:59 PM
Gary, please define "reasonable". Anyone who can do a quality job usually has a backlog. Consider looking into www.acgg.org.
The men and women here are qualified to do the job. There are others as well in Ohio... Umberger for example that can do a good job.
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: forend recheckering - 08/25/13 06:44 PM
John Reese Polson MT. Custom Diamonds
(406) 883-1465. customdiamonds@yahoo.com.
He does good work,relativly fast at good prices!
Tell him Jerry Lee referred you and tell that polecat to give me a call when he has a chance!
Posted By: James M Re: forend recheckering - 08/25/13 07:50 PM
I'd recommend you contact Doug Mann who is located in Illinois and is a member of this forum. He did a forend for my Scott a couple of years ago and does excellent work.
Jim
Posted By: nhcrowshooter Re: forend recheckering - 08/25/13 08:08 PM
Here is a Remington 1894 forend I sent to Keith Kercher this past June. It was returned to me as seen below about 4 weeks later.

http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/

Posted By: Philbert Re: forend recheckering - 08/25/13 08:24 PM
Here's a gent in northern Ohio for consideration. He does beautiful work, is reasonable and has decent TAT:

Daniel Aubihl (anthollowforge@gmail.com)
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: forend recheckering - 08/26/13 12:19 AM
Thanks for your information, all of it is excellent.
Dennis, I would like to have the forend done in a month if I could. It is on an 8 Bore double rifle that I own. The one side of the forend has the checkering dinted in in a few places and the forend and buttstock have been very generously applied by some previous owner with True Oil, enough that it has caused runs in the finish! Wood to metal fit and the condition of the wood is very very good on the buttstock with no proud metal. I will contact these gunsmiths you have recommended. Thanks again!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: forend recheckering - 09/04/13 03:56 PM
Where in Ohio are you located? If you ever get to The Middletown Sportmans Club in Middletown, Ohio, look up a Gary Pence. He does fantastic work and is very reasonable in time return and money.
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: forend recheckering - 09/04/13 07:05 PM
Jimmy, I am clear on the other side of the state about 40 miles West of Pittsburgh in a little town called Toronto, Ohio on the Ohio River.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com