doublegunshop.com - home
Hi all, well another year has pasted and it's time again for all of us to post some of our favorite pictures for the 2013 season. Here in NoDak, our upland season starts on 14 Sep. That's the opener for grouse and huns. Ducks open a week later and pheasants next month on the 12th.

I hope each of you has a successful, happy and above all safe season.

So......lets start seeing some of those pictures.

All the best and good luck!

Greg
here are a couple from my Sept 1st opener in MT.

Sharptail with my muzzle loader.

My wife and a pair of Sage Grouse.
Very nice.
As soon as an "Open Letter To Members of The Forum" has "pasted"...

I expect to see jOe grinning in a pic of Rookhawk come to bag.

Or, vice versa.
How do you pick a favorite when the season just started ??
Handsome Warhare, Mr. Burns, but not as sweet as my Eva. I am hooked on Wirehairs for life.
Good show Wade and Christina!! I see Sammy was with as well as Lakota. Looking forward to a couple hunts this year with you. BTW, work the crap out of Will today!
My good friend Steve on dove opener:

Yesterday's teal hunt was pretty poor as we did not see any waterfowl, not one. Net was a couple of beavers so we quickly switched to doves.

Benjamin caught this wounded one from earlier in the week when it got in some Johnson grass.

Boys Ellenburg: Trying to get Owen to switch to longer tubes. Benjamin is Owen's gun bearer & retriever. It has been too hot for a lot of dog work until the past few days.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, Enjoy the boys now. When they get 6 feet long, they won't sit on your lap any more.They look like good kids, I know you are proud of them.
Mike
Keep close watch for snakes when they're prowling the bushes, Raimey. This is mating season for rattlers, and they are really on the move here lately.

All my best, SRH
Here's a posed pic of the first waterfowl hunt of the year for me

And another here of my son and Louie the GSP getting ready to hunt ruffies!

DT
Hi all, yesterday was our opener for Sharpies and huns. Didn't get out, it rained all day. But today was a nice day, sun, light wind and in the 60's. My friend Rick came out and hunted with my sons and I. Rick and Jim didn't do well, got skunked. Will and I did good. Will get 2 grouse and a double on huns (but lost one of the huns). I managed a limit, got a double, and then a single.

Here's the crew (Jim, Will & Rick)

My birds, taken with my 16b John Wilkes:

Will with his birds, taken with a 20ga Browning BSS:

Duchess, the one who made it all possible:

One tired 12 year old dog:

All in all a good day! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Best!

Greg

Boys Ellenburg with pointing lab

Ford:
Yes, they shoot up pretty fast and there are so, so many exterior inputs to compete with like X-Box, Ipad, etc. Good that they constantly ask to go.

Stan:
Thanks for the caution. The Boys are pretty adept at snake handling but when paired with a canine, the threats don't have a chance. We are pretty low in elevation for rattlers at the toe of the Tennessee Valley Divide, so we see few rattler but those Moccasins and Copperheads are always a threat. Go say 5 miles South and they are oh so plentiful including Timber rattlers(probably called canebrake rattlers in Ford's neck of the woods), which post the worst threat.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Ford:
Forgot to ask: have you a recipe for Muskrat stew?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, it's great to see that the boys are following in your foot steps! Reminds me of my two boys when they were that age out with me. Thanks for the memories! Great looking boys BTW!

Thanks again!

Greg
Raimey,
Sure, just substitute the rat instead of groundhog in the regular recipe.BTY we call them Timber Rattlers here.Don't make the boys afraid of snakes,but do teach them a healthy respect.
Mike
Well today was a bust! My son Will and I went out for sharpies, saw on lone group of 5, flush way wild, but Will did manage a hun. It was a nice day except the wind. It was blowing at 25mph with gusts in the 30's. So....I'll blame the wind on our bad luck.

I did take out my 8 moth old GSP, Raina, it was her first time out for wild birds or hunting for that matter. I'm pretty happy with her. She worked very well, worked close and quartered well and her recall to the locate button on my Dogtra 200 T&B & whistle was excellent. I think she'll work out fine, once she gets into birds!

Anyway, here are some pics of her.

Best!

Greg

Hi all, went out today with Wade Burns for Sharpies, it was a good day. We both limited out within an hour. A good day for sure.
Wade had his English Pointer Sammy and me, my Duchess, both dogs worked very well.

Wade used his 20ga S&W Gold Elite and I used my 16b Charles Hellis.

Here's some pics from today:

Hope to have more days like today.

Best!

Greg
A few from today.

Hi all, first off, congrats Christina........way to go!!! Anyway, this weekend was our duck opener, not the best we've had, but far from the worst. Saturday the pot hole we hunted didn't pan out to well, Will was able to limit, I got 4 plus a goose. Jim, only one. Not many birds flying, the weather was beautiful however. Here's some pics from Saturday:

Will with his birds and his Farbarm Beta Classis:

My birds taken with my Bernadelli Italia:

Today we switched to another pot hole, did much better, Will and I both limited within a couple hours. Weather again was wonderful. Jim didn't go today, wish he had!

Here's the pics:

Will coming into the landing after picking up a downed bird:

My birds, taken with my "Other" duck gun, a Merkel 147E:

Will and his birds:

Over all not a bad time, we'll see what next weekend brings!

Best!

Greg
Looks like all the ducks so far are of that peculiar early season species, the "LBD". I'll be glad when the birds take on their Fall colors and hope it happens before my October trip to Saskatchewan...Geo
Nice pics Greg but I think I'll wait till pheasant season. Waterfowl just doesn't get my gastric juices flowing. grin
Hi all, went out after work to a local spot and was able to limit in about an hour. Not a lot of birds as in the past, mostly singles and a couple pairs, all adult birds. Was a nice day however. I shot the birds with a 16ga Carl Goluch.

The gun and game:

My loyal and faithful GSP, Duchess:

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out today after work for a little bit, was able to get two. Both were singles, no groups. My Duchess worked well as always.

I used my 12b Coggie Konor.

Best!

Greg
No matter what fortune brings the rest of this season, this will be one of my favorite game/gun pics; waterhole in the Texas panhandle......Son Jared with Beretta 470 12 ga. and daughter-in-law Maegan hunted with me and Bella the lab. Yep, that's a PINK Remington 20 gauge Maegan has. Now that she's learned to shoot and is pretty good at clays and birds, we plan on upgrading her to a 28 gauge SxS.
A great looking couple, but I can help but grin thinking how those shorts with western boots, would go over up here in Big Sky Country.

I certainly see why that photo will remain your favorite. It reflects a happy time with loved ones, the same quality that makes Greg's photos so enjoyable.
Originally Posted By: RCC
A great looking couple, but I can help but grin thinking how those shorts with western boots, would go over up here in Big Sky Country.

Bob, it's from a combination of damn hot weather and rattlesnakes. It makes perfect sense.
That'd be QUITE an upgrade!!
Nice pic there Gary, looks like they did well!

Today the boys and I went duck hunting, day started out with rain, then the front moved on to become sunny. The birds just were not moving for some reason. Did manage a limit and the boys got some birds also. Slow day, but still fun with my favorite hunting partners!!

Couple pics of the slough and part of our spread:

Will and Jim and the days bag:

Going to try another pot hole tomorrow, so will see what happens.

Best!

Greg
Here are couple of I-Phone pics snapped this past week by Wanda, my better half.

Timber pointing a ruff grouse. I got the look from Timber for my clean miss.

Gentry taking a break, taken yesterday 9/28 in the seasons first snow.

Nice pics Bill, keep them coming!

Will and I went out today to our "other" pot hole. We were both limited out in a couple hours. Far cry than yesterday, fun day and a nice one.

Here's a pic of part of our spread:

Here's Will picking up the blocks:

Will and today's bag:

A good day with a good partner!

Best!

Greg
Greg,

Not to be doomsday crier, or anything like one, but after looking at the last couple of photos of Will in that little float boat I do have to tell you of a drowning that took place here about a month ago.

Goose season opened here in SD on Aug 3rd.

On a pothole lake about 3 miles from the house a young chap tipped his little dingy and filled his waders with water. He drowned before his companion or a motorist who swam out to him could help him.

Please! Have Will slip those waters off before picking up the dekes.

Best to you friend. I will try to rendezvous with you along the Interstate for lunch on the 20th when I head back up to Montana. Maybe we could meet in Bismarck and get John to join us. And tell Rick that the SD house is a lot closer to him than my kennels in Sidney. He stopped off for lunch one day last fall when he was in MT. Going by here on his way to your place is not hardly out of his way at all.

Bob
Hi Bob, points well taken! Thanks for being a second set of eyes on this one. I will say one thing, that boat is one of the most stable platforms I've ever seen, and fast....Will can paddle that thing like no tomorrow. A sight to see.

That would be a hoot to meet up. Sure would be a fun time. Rick plans on coming out for pheasant opener. I'll let him know about SD.

Take Care and have a good one!!!

Bets!

Greg
This year's early Prairie Chicken have been particularly successful with bird finds on six days straight

Despite a bad year in so many ways, this season is turning out quite well.

The four birds are a Saturday/Sunday bag with my best 16

I doubt I will see two straight days like that for some time

Old Colonel, nice looking 16. What is the make?

Thanks,
Cdog
It is a Louis Christophe, Brussells - made by Jules Bury in 1924, engraved by Jules Schoffeniels
Hi all went out after work for a bit with my daughters Teresa and Patty. Managed to get a couple so the day was a success. The girls kept up well and didn't complain a bit. Was proud to have them with.

The birds and my 16ga FN:

Teresa, (Patty didn't want her picture taken). BTW both wore blaze orange when we were in the field:

Best!

Greg

Greg; How do you pick up all those different guns and shoot game so well? When I switch around the horses my shooting seems to fall off a bit and sometimes rather dramatically.
Originally Posted By: buzz
Greg; How do you pick up all those different guns and shoot game so well? When I switch around the horses my shooting seems to fall off a bit and sometimes rather dramatically.

Hi Buzz, really can't say. I really don't have a problem switching. Heck I can even shoot one with a 3" DAH. Guess I'm just lucky or don't think about it.

My only problem is a long LOP, 14 5/8" or more forget it, just can't shoulder them without the stock hanging up. I can't do that thrust out and pull in method, so I need a shorter LOP, anything from 13 3/4" to 14 1/2" I can do.

Take Care and thanks for the kind words!

Greg
Greg; Have you ever hunted Ruffed Grouse, where the 'best' gun is the one that fits you best and the one you have the most confidence in? Shooting birds in a thick woods is quite a different challenge than in open prairie where there are fewer obstructions/distractions to shooting? I suspect it is much easier to adapt to an ill-fitting gun or a gun with different balance point in shooting birds in the wide open spaces as compared to a dense woods. But it is cool you can switch back and forth with relative ease, and remarkable IMO.
Hi Buzz, the last time I hunted ruffs was close to 30 years ago. My gun then was an old Savage BS-E 20ga, bbls cut to 22" no choke. Did OK with that one.

You may have something about less distractions on the open plains. You do have more time to adjust, but you need more choke IMO. Of course you do have those snap shoots here also.

To be honest I really don't think too hard on it, just mount the gun and shoot. Does help to shoot clays off season, I switch guns there also. It also helps to have a good dog to get you ready.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Greg
I agree, Greg. Another factor with regards to shooting is shooter stamina. It seems when the shooter is tired or in poor condition shooting really falls off. 30 yrs without grouse hunting?? Man, I couldn't take that. There is Grouse hunting in the Dakotas and Minnesota isn't very far. You and Will should take that GSP you've got on a Ruff G hunt. I'm guessing all of you would enjoy it....and talk about a delicious eating game bird!! Wow!! Nothing better tasting than Ruffed Grouse IMHO.
Speaking of Ruffed Grouse, I finally connected yesterday! I was recently given my uncle's 20ga Ithaca model 37. He bought it new in 1955 to hunt woodcock and grouse in Vermont. Every year since this gun has put birds on the ground and I promised him when he handed it to me that I'd make sure it kept up the streak.

Yesterday morning with my dog going nuts trying to lock down the bird he flushed wild and I spun with him and connected with my first shot. I only winged him so my Draht spent the next minute or so trying to get him out from under a big log he'd hidden under. FInally with bird in hand I could relax! I've been chasing grouse for 3 years with only near misses to show for it so yesterday felt great.

Pat
Great picture Pat. That makes you one ruffed grouse ahead of my lifetime list!...Geo
Pat, no pictures of your "ugly dog?"

I bet your uncle is smiling. Here's to the beginning of another 55+ year streak.

CHAZ
Pat, you are holding a classic pump shotgun. Even here in the land of the doublegun there are fans of the M37. A man can't have too many. Gil

Breaking in my 1912 Charles Daly 16ga on Sharptails. Loving my new old whistles too.

Then enjoying what I take from the field.

Originally Posted By: Hoof
Pat, no pictures of your "ugly dog?"

I bet your uncle is smiling. Here's to the beginning of another 55+ year streak.

CHAZ

Haha I tried getting one with him holding it but he was going NUTS whenever i took the bird out of my vest. Here's one of him when we got home lol.

28 Gauge Merkel 201E

Originally Posted By: dukxdog

Breaking in my 1912 Charles Daly 16ga on Sharptails. Loving my new old whistles too.

Then enjoying what I take from the field.

Hunger vs. envy. Nice Chuckie D and whistles. Pass the vittles.
A couple from this morning short small covert hunt. Me and the boys with the one ruffed grouse pointed by Gentry (orange belton up front). Photos from the I-Phone 4

My SIACE Vintage 16 Gauge

Today's hunt with 1906 J. Blanch & Son 16ga with Sharpies and Huns

Nice Daly 16 !

You don't see many in 16,I have one not as high a grade as yours 1924 era.
Here is a photo of my Geo. Taylor 16ga with Powell patented lifter.

You guys have some beautiful guns!!!
Hi all, today was our opener for Pheasants. It was windy!!!! We're talking 22 to 25mph and gusts in the 30 range. Still, my boys and I got our limits. Saw quite a few birds and Duchess did well. Anyway, here's the pics:

My birds and the 12b FA Anderson I used today. This gun is SN 101 of 110, only 10 made from 1977 to 1987:

Jim with his 16ga AyA Matador and Will with his trusty Fabarm:

And Duchess, she's 12 now, but still goes all day with no problems and ready to go:

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Best!

Greg
Looks like a perfect day Greg! Congratulations!
A boys (my son 10 YO) first quail. Along with the rest of his take. It was a planted bird preserve hunt, not beautiful wild birds like everyone else is posting, but our season doesn't open for another week. He shoots an Uggie boxlock that I saved from the scrap heap and cut down for him.

CHAZ
Great pic Hoof!!! Glad to see that your son is taking after you and is shooting a double!! Good for him and good for you taking him out. This is only the beginning with a great hunting partner and plenty of memories.

Today was day two for us on our opening weekend. Today was perfect weather, light wind, plenty of sun and cool. Today was also special. My friend Rick came out from MN. and my daughters first hunt and bird. Will only hunted a couple hours then had to do some work at the ranch we hunt (he's more or less the hired hand). Rick and I limited, plus I was able to scratch a grouse, everyone had a great time.

Here's my daughter with her first bird, she was using her 12ga Brittany:

Will with his bird, he was using his 20ga Browning BSS/Sporter:

Rick in a candid moment with his birds, he was using a 16ga Piotti:

My birds with my 12b Blanch:

Same day, different gun (my 12b Coggie Konor) different bird:

Best!

Greg
Nice looking happy girl, GJW. I'll bet there's more than a few of us who didn't get anything our first hunt. I was lucky enough though; a rabbit on the first shot with my new H&R single 20 full choke.

You need to try some Ribose with Duchess. It's a unique sugar that fuels the heart with a quicker recovery time. My old Lab would be wiped out for a day after a hunt. After giving her Ribose she was up and around to almost normal after 3-4 hours rest. My first couple hunts of a new season my groin would be sore, but not after taking Ribose before and after the hunt. It prevents lactic acid build up.

It's used by many heart patients to give the heart more energy and when the heart has more energy you do to. It's a unique sugar that actually may make blood sugar go down.

I get mine from Swansonvitamins or Puritan Pride on line. I buy the plastic container with the scoop inside. It's amazing stuff.
Greg I don't know what I envy more your birds or guns...Gil
16 ga Fox XE

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words!!! They are much appreciated. Jo had a good time and is ready to go out again, like in a day or so after this rain we're having stops.

2holer, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!!! I sure appreciate the lead.

Nice pic MilRob, wish my photo skills were that good.

Thanks again all!

Greg
From yesterday morning's grouse hunt.

First bird of the year.

Tim, nice to see one of your M17's and a 'doodle. IC?? Gil
Hi all, my daughter and I went out after I was done with work for a couple hours. Did well, I limited (but lost one, so only two in the bag) and Jo was able to get a bird (her second one since she started hunting this year).

Here's Jo with her bird and her 12ga Brittany:

Mine taken with my 12b J. Harkom:

Best!

Greg
Hi all, my kids and I went out to Joel's (aka J.R.B. here on the board) place today for a hunt. Had a wonderful time!!! Joel and his Mom are some of the finest people you'd ever want to meet. In between the places we hunted Joel and his Mom made us a wonderful dinner (lunch to those out east), ham, German potato salad, beans and a wonderful apple dish. Just can't beat their hospitality. Thanks Joel and Ethel!!!

Anyway, we got some birds, Will shot two, Joel one and I got three. Lot of birds, but the wind was a bit strong, so made things a bit difficult.

All of us used doubles (of course!!). Joel his 12ga Sarriugarte, Will his 16ga Sauer, Jim his 12ga Victor Sarasqueta, Jo her 12ga Brittany and I used my 16b Charles Boswell.

Here's the crew, Will, Jim, Jo and Joel and of course Duchess

Will

Joel

My gun & birds

A bit muddy out there also

Best!

Greg
It's peanut and pecan harvesting season here, and the ol' black bums know it. We're doin' our part to keep the crows from getting them too bad. Going again tomorrow morning in a peanut field.

Fifty, of a take of around 75-80 recently.

Old guys rule!

SRH
Glad you came. It's always a pleasure to have the gjw family. Always fun at the dinner table after the hunt. grin Hens way outnumbered the roosters this year. It was pretty tough hunting my swamp and the beaver dams this year because of all the water. The wind was nuts. Next time maybe the weather will cooperate. The season is still young.
This actually from last season; somehow I missed this thread last year. A family affair...me, three brothers-in-law, four nephews and one great-niece.

Hi all, well we switched gears today and went duck hunting, should have gone pheasant hunting. It was slow today, not much flying. We did mange to get a few. Will got a double on Redheads, good shooting on his part. Still a nice day to get out....beats work!

Will and his birds:

Me and mine:

Best!

Greg
Greg what non tox are you using in those beauties?
Originally Posted By: Ithaca33
Greg what non tox are you using in those beauties?

We were using Estate 2 3/4" Mag, 1 1/4oz #2 Steel. Good load, not super fast but good pattern density and they work well within a reasonable range.

Will's Fabarm is chambered for 3" of course, but my Bernadelli is only 2 3/4". So when we hunt with a shorter chambered gun we leave the 3" stuff at home. Better safe than sorry by getting loads mixed up. I also use a Merkel 147E that's chambered for 3" so when I bring that one, 3" are good to go.

Thanks for the kind words BTW!

Best!

Greg
Hi all, Will and I went today for just a short time late this afternoon, we managed to get 3, but lost 1. Wind was whippy and had snow showers, still, good to get out.

Will used my 12ga Buhag Hubertius and I used my 12ga SIACE Self Cocking Ejector 350G

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out solo today, just me and Duchess, a good day with just me and my old partner. She did well and one bird gave her a merry chase, but she brought him in.

I used my Churchill 12b Premiere today, and yes those are 25" bbls.

Best!

Greg
Went out today after work for a short time, was able to get one, didn't see many today. Oh well, always tomorrow!

I used my 12ga Victor Sarasqueta 12E:

Best!

Greg
Of all your guns I like your Blanch the best. #5519 isn't it?
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Of all your guns I like your Blanch the best. #5519 isn't it?

Thanks! And you are correct sir about the SN
Maybe my favorite picture ever. My 10 yr old son's first hunt on youth waterfowl day in MN. His first ducks ever, and his 20ga wingmaster. Both birds taken on passing shots.
That is a great picture, you both look so proud!
CHAZ
GJW- #5519 is an old friend of mine.
GJW- #5519 is an old friend of mine.

Hey Lloyd, let me guess....you used to own her. I have a big soft spot in my heart for this one. Just a class gun IMO.

Thanks!

Greg
Greg:

She didn't fit me and I couldn't bring myself to mess with her. As best as I could tell she's as she was made, way back in 1887.

Here's one I took last week
Hi Greg: Your Blanch is a beautiful gun! jOe: nice turkey! I'm in Michigan UP now hunting Ruffed Grouse. Winter is here!!! Lots of snow, very cold and wet. Had a nice grouse dinner tonight, but it is very cold and wet. I'm ready to get out of here. Miserable weather, for sure!! Best, Buzz
Greg:

She didn't fit me and I couldn't bring myself to mess with her. As best as I could tell she's as she was made, way back in 1887.

Hi Lloyd, I think your right about the date, as far as I can research her, she was made between 1887 to 1889 or so.
Too bad she didn't fit you, I have a friend who also can't shoot her well, but I lucked out and she works great for me.

I know when I bought her she was a consignment piece and I want to thank you for accepting my offer. Never knew who the owner was, but I do now. I was really surprised to get all the nice accessories. That was abig bonus.

Thanks again for letting me have her!

Best!

Greg
Greg: 1887 was a transitional year at the London Proofhouse and is the only year that used the specific combination of proofmarks that are on your gun. Normally, Blanch guns are very hard to date because of a German bomb through the roof of the business in 1940 that destroyed their records. There is an online Blanch database now (maintained by Toby Barclay @ Heritage Firearms), and using that, in combination with proof marks and patent-use numbers, you can at-least extrapolate a period of production for most Blanch guns (excepting yours). Per your description of her a "class gun", Edward Paddison at Boss agreed strongly with you and built Perke's Patent guns for a long period before John Robertson took over in 1891. You probably already know this, but Perke's guns are easy to operate because they only cock one hammer upon opening and then the second on closing. Another tidbit: the closest Blanch serial number to 5519 (that I could find) was 5517, which is a sidelever hammergun. Your gun is a very early hammerless action (perhaps the earliest of its type?) built when hammerguns were still very much mainstream. A period-correct English Best in every way. I'm pleased to know that she went to a good home.
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Here's one I took last week

jOe, that your Scott 10? Gil
No it's my Scott sidelock 2&3/4" 12 ga.
Greg: 1887 was a transitional year at the London Proofhouse and is the only year that used the specific combination of proofmarks that are on your gun. Normally, Blanch guns are very hard to date because of a German bomb through the roof of the business in 1940 that destroyed their records. There is an online Blanch database now (maintained by Toby Barclay @ Heritage Firearms), and using that, in combination with proof marks and patent-use numbers, you can at-least extrapolate a period of production for most Blanch guns (excepting yours). Per your description of her a "class gun", Edward Paddison at Boss agreed strongly with you and built Perke's Patent guns for a long period before John Robertson took over in 1891. You probably already know this, but Perke's guns are easy to operate because they only cock one hammer upon opening and then the second on closing. Another tidbit: the closest Blanch serial number to 5519 (that I could find) was 5517, which is a sidelever hammergun. Your gun is a very early hammerless action (perhaps the earliest of its type?) built when hammerguns were still very much mainstream. A period-correct English Best in every way. I'm pleased to know that she went to a good home.

Thanks Lloyd for all the additional info. About all I learned about this gun was from the J. Blanch web site you mentioned. Most other sources didn't provide much info.

Thanks again, and rest assured that I'll take good care of her!

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out today with my son Jim (Will was working cows) had a wonderful day with Jim, weather was nice and there were birds. I was able to limit and Jim had a respectable two bird day. Duchess worked well as ever and made a nice water retrieve.

I was using my 16ga Arrieta 871 (hard to see but the engraving is in the Boss style):

Jim with his birds, he was his 12ga Victor Sarasqueta 3EC:

Jim, Duchess and the days bag:

Best!

Greg
A successful Friday after work hunt.

terc
Originally Posted By: terc
A successful Friday after work hunt.

terc

Nice bag!! So what's the make of the hammergun?

Best!

Greg
Well the barrels sit the wrong way in the frame, but it is the newest "pony in the stable" so she got the nod for opening day.

1972 Laurona 71G with a PA limit.
CHAZ
Greg, It's a Sandro Lucchini 20g. I hesitated buying it because the drop at heel is only 1 5/8". It shoots a little high on paper, about 70/30. I shot clays with it, and it worked great. Friday was it's first real field test. You see the results.
terc
terc, beautiful hammer gun!

Greg, I've got to ask, what type of land are you hunting? Public, leased, private, personal??? Duchess has had more than a few birds shot over her!

Saturday, we took advantage of the colder weather (37 degress) and ran the dogs on wild bobwhites at our lease in GA. We picked up a couple big coveys. The season is not yet in so no birds were taken.

Spent the afternoon on a 30 acre peanut field that was LOADED with dove. I would guess there were 700+. Got my limit in short order. Used my Miroku KE-II 12ga. I shot B&P Competition One shells and loved them.

My bird dog.

No "gun with game" pics as I donated my bag to the evening meal before I had a chance to shoot a pic. But they were delish!

Adam

Good pics, Adam. Our dove season is out now, until Thanksgiving Day. I'll have to satisfy myself with your pics, and clay birds, for the time being.

SRH
Parker Repro 20 gauge and doves in SC

Happy old guys in South Dakota last week....

My son with his first Sandhill crane this weekend

Yay Forrest!!!!!
Limit of grouse with a large moose horn I found while searching for one of the birds. Winchester 21.

Now there's a good gun......nice photo
I love those old "arrow panel" 21s with 2 triggers! Love the ruffs, too; a darn good day when you get three, or at least it would be for me!
My son wanted to take a "before and after" picture on the porch. He is just starting this year (he turned 11 last weekend) to get onto shooting live birds. He has a shortened (both ends) Uggie BLNE, and for now it is quieting his desire for a Montifeltro.
CHAZ

AWESOME
And I like the fellas in the windows smile
Mike
My favourite shotgun with what I love to shoot out of it, brass and black powder - and at it, roosters!!

Here's Louie with a bunch of chukars and my son's 14 gauge muzzle loader.

Davide
Here is my favorite thus far.., My son Justin with a few of his friends last week on the Chesapeake for junior hunting day. Limited out with their great shooting before 10am. Real proud of all the kids

May gobbler from Maine, taken with Joseph Saive, 1959, 12 guage. SxS. 21 pounds.
Originally Posted By: Corkdecoy
May gobbler from Maine, taken with Joseph Saive, 1959, 12 guage. SxS. 21 pounds.

Seems heavy for a SxS. grin
Forgive him FF. He can not help himself. wink
Ouch!
Taken Sunday during a little break.

Hi all, my son Will and I went out today for a couple hours around the place here, gloomy day with a few snow showers, but not bad overall. We each managed a couple birds, so not a bad short day.

Will with his, he was using his 16g Sauer Royal:

Mine with my 16ga Uggie Model 1030:

Best!
Greg
kcordell - Every kid there should pledge to get together for a hunt in 30 years and take a picture with everyone in the same places afterwards.

In the boys we see the men.

Fantastic pic and what a wonderful event. And what wonderful shooting! No wonder you're proud
New to me 20 gauge LC Smith. Two roosters killed over points, usually running pheasants give my boy fits, today we found some that "behaved."
CHAZ

Redneck's Dream Shoot:

A couple of weeks ago on my annual pilgrimage to the wheat fields of Saskatchewan. The pile we are posing on is about 8 thousand bushels of harvested wheat which was dumped out of the truck when it became stuck in the mud at the edge of the slough. That's me at the bottom left.

We found the "Grain Pile Slough" while scouting and were afraid to shoot it until we read the Sask. Hunter Trapper Guide where it plainly stated that notwithstanding the baiting regs., "swathed, spilled or piled grain" is not considered as bait in the Province...Geo
Hi all, just Duchess and me today. Nice Novemeber day for up here, so took advantage of it. Was able to limit out and add a grouse. Saw a lot of grouse, but spooky as all get out. Just a good day overall.

I was using my 12ga Siace 350g Self Cocking Ejector Hammergun:

And......Duchess of course:

Best!

Greg
Geo, I don't think that "spilled" wheat trick would pass muster in S. Ga. Woodie hole. wink gil
Originally Posted By: GLS
Geo, I don't think that "spilled" wheat trick would pass muster in S. Ga. Woodie hole. wink gil

Darn! I thought that after 41 years of practicing law I'd finally discovered the ultimate "loophole". What I referred to is really in the current Sask.
Hunting/Trapper's Guide, but I suspect they were thinking about deer baiting and did not have the Migratory Duck Treaty in mind.

What we really did was shoot a field nearby the grain pile slough and dropped by for a posed photo opportunity. Wondered if anyone was going to pick up on this...Geo
As long as it came up. My thought when I saw it " Maybe legal but Ethical? ". I have a hard time with baiting any game animals. I think it takes the HUNTING out and just leaves the shooting.
Husqvarnas came up in another thread and after seeing a couple of beautiful Model 51's I took mine out for an afternoon tide duck hunt. This is an early 1940's 12ga Model 51 shooting 7/8oz of ITX 4's and 6's.

Sorry about the pics, it was dark by the time I got back to the landing. This is the one that I cracked the stock on an earlier duck hunt. just finished repairing it.
Originally Posted By: MilRob

Ah, Mr. Swift's gun still looks great. Nice photo. Gil
Hi all, my son Will and I went out today for a couple hours, pretty cold out, 10 above with wind chills around -12 at times. We each got a couple so it was a good day!

Will with his 12ga Fabarm Beta Classis:

I was using my 12ga Buhag Hubertius:

Duchess:

One of my birds had some real long spurs, dark and sharp:

Best!

Greg
1974 Beretta S56E (post Garcia BL imports)and two birds from last week.

Russ's Henry Monk 16 bore

Hi all, well went out this afternoon with Wade Burns, as always a fun hunt! Always a joy going with him. He screwed up his right arms so was a bit slow on the draw. He managed to get 2 with a Beretta lightweight 12ga. And get this, he was using 2" shells! Still he shot well. His dog Daisy and mine worked well, so we each ended up with 2 birds a piece. It was a good day!

My birds that I got with my 12b H&H Royal:

Wade with his injured flipper, the dogs and the birds:

Best!

Greg
Pretty Holland Royal, Greg! Betting it's a joy to hunt.
Originally Posted By: buzz
Pretty Holland Royal, Greg! Betting it's a joy to hunt.

That it is old friend!

Thanks!
Both of my boys had their first duck hunts this weekend. Oldest went to Butler Island on the Altamaha River. No ducks but beautiful scenery. Youngest went this morning near Yemassee, SC, and we got two Wood Ducks, but could only find one. Both hunts with my Parker Grade 2 10 gauge lifter hammer gun with 32" barrels.

What Joy !
Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Great post, Mills. Though my two boys are grown now with families of their own I well remember when they were the ages of your two, and their first hunts with me. You'll be so glad you got pictures.

OBTW, that scenery looks vaguely familiar like my stompin' grounds. wink Especially that live oak with the Spanish moss.

All my best, SRH
Thanks for the comments. I really wish we had bagged one duck for my oldest's hunt, but otherwise it was a perfect weekend.
Originally Posted By: skeettx
What Joy !
Thanks for sharing.
Mike

+1 way to go. You'll have a partner for life, just like I do with my son's.

Best!

Greg
Hi all, a bit OT as no double guns were involved, but yesterday, my son Will filled his doe tag after a long season for him. His brother and I tagged out on the opening weekend and Will wasn't lucky that weekend or last weekend. This weekend was do or die and at 10:00 yesterday morning he was done. She was a good sized animal and he is one happy camper, he deserved her, he hunted his heart out all season and was rewarded. Thanks Lord!

Anyway, he was shooting a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 that his Grandpa gifted to him.

Guess I'm a proud papa!

Best!

Greg

Way to go!

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, a bit OT as no double guns were involved, but yesterday, my son Will filled his doe tag after a long season for him. His brother and I tagged out on the opening weekend and Will wasn't lucky that weekend or last weekend. This weekend was do or die and at 10:00 yesterday morning he was done. She was a good sized animal and he is one happy camper, he deserved her, he hunted his heart out all season and was rewarded. Thanks Lord!

Anyway, he was shooting a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 that his Grandpa gifted to him.

Guess I'm a proud papa!

Best!

Greg

2013 Kansas opener. Prairie rooster, 16ga A Grade Fox, 1oz hand loaded papers (courtesy of Twice Barrel)...

One of my birds had some real long spurs, dark and sharp:

Best!

Greg

If the old Brit authors are to be believed, you did a great favor to the local pheasant population by killing it. Looks like a mean old bird which doesn't reproduce too well, but interferes with younger birds' reproduction by fighting off a bigger nesting ground -using these spurs.
Old men don't reproduce too well either.
Mike
Hunted the quail lease for 3 hrs this morning. Found 4 nice coveys and killed 4 birds. My brother tagged along as well (mostly to watch the dogs) but he couldn't resist the urge so he shot one covey rise and a couple singles. He's easy to pick out in the video by his "SWAT" team tactics on shooting the coveyrise. He's a big game hunter (mostly bow) so give him a break! smile

Here is a quick video showing some of the highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82U0-twmxFE

I used my Miroku FE-II SLE on this hunt.

Cool video!
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! Went out today for a couple hours, didn't do too bad, but should have had one more...oh well, that's hunting! Will got one and I got one and two grouse. Duchess did well as always.

Adam, nice pics and nice video.

I was using my 12b HJ Hussey Imperial Ejector:

Will and his Fabarm:

And Duchess:

Best!

Greg
Now that is a handsome Hussey.
Originally Posted By: GJZ
Now that is a handsome Hussey.

Thanks!, but you should know....you sold it to me!

Fine gun, one of best I have and a good shooter too.

Take Care!

Greg
Hi all, went out Black Friday hunting and also a bit of English vintage gun day. Will did very well and limited out fairly early in the day, I didn't do so well, but still today was a real nice day, weather wise and company wise.

Will used my 16b Charles Boswell and the results of it's use:

I used my Samuel B. Allport 12b:

Duchess in the field:

Best!

Greg
A couple weeks ago a friend and I set up for snows in a local field and the bottom pic shows the results of a couple hours work. A wonderful Fall morning when everything worked as we planned.Have to admit I was not shooting anything exotic, just my old standby SKB Model 100. My go to gun for down and dirty waterfowling...

Oh BTW , We do have a few snows in the neighborhood...

Hi all, the boys and I went out to Joel's (J.R.B. here on the board) today for a nice hunt, didn't see as many birds today as before, but oh well. Once again his Mom and Joel treated us to a very nice and filling homemade lunch, it was wonderful! They sure are great folks! Thanks Joel.

Here are some pics of the hunt (notice the interesting headgear!!!!) Joel always has something up his sleeve!

Joel:

Will, he was using his 20ga Browning BSS/S:

Jim and his 12ga Victor Sarasqueta 3EC:

I was using my 16b John Wilkes:

Joel's 12ga Sarriugarte:

The crew!

Best!

Greg
Greg, it's amazing what I can pull out of that hat. wink
A few pictures from this season----cut short the cold froze our marsh solid.
My little girl Lucy

My C/HE Super Fox with a few greenheads

My Fox Sterlingworth pin gun with a limit of ducks

Parker CHE with a couple of birds

Another Lucy and my C/HE Super Fox

My Parker CHE 12ga with 30" Bernard barrels and a friends high condition Trojan
Nice pin-gun. I'd not seen one with damascus barrels...Geo

Oops! I musta scrolled down from the Sterly pin-gun to the Parker too fast...Geo
Okay, since nobody took the bait, I will. JRB, The Madhatter. wink
Gil
Actually Gil that hat is one of my favorites. grin
Hi all, went out solo today around the house, nice day, but not many birds except hens. Just one of those days I guess. I was using my 16ga FN (wish I knew the model) today and got the only rooster that was in range...oh well always another day.

Best!

Greg

I got out for a few hours today. Grouse were few and far between today but I managed to get one.

My dogs and one of a couple roosters taken in MN about 5 miles from the Iowa state line today. The shotgun is a 16 gauge Belgian FAUL.

The blood on the tailgate is from a WI buck I harvested yesterday. A good 24 hours.
Hunting with my daughter-in-law, son and grandson, [3 1/2 yrs old]. I have been blessed to have my grandson hunt with me 5 hunts at this tender age. The first two hunts for grandson Jack had him being carried by his mother in a backpack. This year he was a good walker and walked along the whole morning of the last day of quail hunting.

Son and grandson starting out.

During the hunt-

Taking a break----------

Headed for the car----------

Back at the car, checking for a thorn------

Daryl, great photos. I like the last one with him looking for the "tired dogs" inside the boot which are probably inside the blue socks. Gil
Daryl, I've not commented on any of these photos through seventeen pages, but those of you and your grandson drove me to hit the keyboard. What a bunch of superb shots of you and him. I love it. You are truly a blessed man, but of course you know that.
JR
Gil and John, thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I am blessed. My daughter-in-law and son have had grandson, Jack, hunt with me in Saskatchewan, Montana, and New Mexico. All starting before the age of 1. Now, at 3 1/2 he easily walks along in the "proper" grass. We noticed him zigzagging during the hunt. He was trying to walk in the shorter grass as the taller grass, when it hit his face, made him feel "nervous". His dad's first quail kill required an explanation to him. He wasn't sure about the dead bird. After the explanation by his dad, all was fine from then on.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Favorite Game/Gun Picture - 2013 Hunting Season - 12/07/13 09:12 PM
A little late and yes, I still don't use the forearm on this 30" Nitro Special. Just catches stems and holds water underneath the barrels. [img][URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/Halpics_bucket/media/HappyBenwithlimitofducks_zpsc5ee49f2.jpg.html][IMG]
Here you go Hal, good shooting.

Well Daryl you are a lucky man to be able to enjoy time in the field with your grandchildren.
I love this picture, Birdog. Who needs a forend ? Thanks.
Goose hunting in sub-zero weather just outside the city limits in December. My most memorable hunts. (Citori Lightning with top barrel bored to mod and FTCH Huckleberry's Hustle)
Tamid, I used to hunt geese inside the city limits of Winnipeg, years ago before they changed the regs. Great goose shooting!

Now, of course, it is a plague of geese in the city. Especially during the fall. Crap everywhere. By my office and warehouse, some distance from any water and in an industrial park, we typically have 150-200 goslings marching around under the watchful eyes of a few adults every spring.
Calgary has up to 20,000 geese and 20,000 ducks over-wintering on the Bow River. Extended season around the city till Dec 21. More packed snow in the fields than in the past 10 years. I think we will see a lot of die off.
A very enjoyable mid-morning hunt today with my Lab Tolley and the ever present SKB 100. Best part ,only 10 minutes from the door.

Damn Terry, I'm greenheaded with envy...Gil
Hi all, this weekend was kind of a bust, went out Saturday & today with only one bird to show (which Will got). We saw plenty of birds, but they were spooky and wild as all get out. It was a cold weekend also (-15 to-18 wind chills)cold enough to freeze a witches, you know what off. That didn't help matters either. Oh well, always next weekend.

Only one pic of Will and I. He was using his 16ga Sauer Royal and I used my 12ga Merkel 147E.

BTW, great pics and story Daryl!! Keep those small fry interested!

Best!

Greg
2 days duck hunting in Arkansas. First day, I shot my Parker NH 10 gauge. Our group bagged only 10 ducks, mostly mallards, but had fun. The second day, I took an LC Smith 12 gauge Field Grade (one of a pair) and we had a great hunt. 6 limits for six hunters. We topped the limit off when 3 geese flew in and we downed all three. We had a great guide and a great dog, this second morning. Great time!

Hey Mills, regarding that 3rd photo. You know why those V's of geese always have one side longer than the other?

More geese on that side!...Geo
Early tide yesterday morning. Husky 51

This is from a little trip to the scablands this week with my 1909 LC Smith 2E 20gauge:

Fishnfowler, great looking 2E, and a very nice looking cock bird. The tail looks to be close to 2' long.
Thanks for the video. Brings back some great memories for me!
Buddy
I didn't take many pics, this turned out to be my favorite of the 2013 season -- so far.

Jay

Jay,

You must have been in SW MN? Looks like a great day for you and your dog. The RBL looks good too!

Chief
Assuming you'll forgive my indulgence, here's one from 2012:
Originally Posted By: ChiefAmungum
Jay,

You must have been in SW MN? Looks like a great day for you and your dog. The RBL looks good too!

Chief

That was a late November day, about 2 hrs. SW of the Twin Cities. Zuni (in pic) and Piper each produced a rooster that day. Yesterday, about 3 hours SW, they did the same in snow-filled covers.

I'm keeping my RBL Chief, it's been too good for my shooting to let it go. smile

Jay
Yep I ended up keeping mine as well. Looking forward to next year to use it!

That type of cover is very familiar to me. great stuff!

Chief
Great grouse pic, Tim! I consider any WINGSHOT grouse a trophy.

But what's all that white stuff???

And what's the cannon--looks Beretta-ish to me but what do I know?
Thanks Mike!

The Beretta is an S56E, post Garcia around 1974. It started out pretty ugly but Dave Furman in Vt worked his magic with the stock and made a wood butt for it as well. The wood was very light(which is why it's only 5lbs 10ozs with 28" barrels) but Dave did a good job of bringing the mineral lines to life.

Nice gun, Tim. Really an UPgrade.

Many of the cheaper early Berettas had what I call "pallet grade" wood; yours is a cut above that, for sure. On the other hand, I liked that early wood, in spite of its often blond or gray color, because it WAS very light in weight as well as color. And many stained it to a more acceptable hue. I succeeded in making my blondie "Silver Snipe" into a strawberry blonde, at least! Hid that grey! Those early guns were--and are--a bargain if you actually intend to kill something!
Hi all, went out today with my son Will and Wade Burns, was a good day, but cold (air temp at -4, but low winds, so the wind chill was only -11). The snow cover was deeper than what we expected, at times up to your knees and deeper in some spots. Saw lots of birds, but they were on the wild side. The dogs were able to pin some down however. I was able to limit, Wade got 2 and Will one.

I have to take my hat off to Wade, he was out there with a broken arm and was shooting his birds very well, he's a lot tougher than most of us.

Anyway, here's Will and Wade. Will was shooting his 16ga Sauer Royal and Wade a 12ga Beretta auto.

Wade and me and a better pic of the dogs. Duchess and Lakota were the real stars today. I was using my 12ga Merkel 147E:

Thanks for a great day Wade and Will!

Best!

Greg
Three images of Friday's hunt outside Springfield Illinois- The Patton boys, ole Buck, my big Parker 10 and the spoils from a good morning and some bismuth 4 handloads.
best regards,
JBP

I always like seeing your waterfowl guns, J.B. Thanks.

SRH
Early A Grade Fox and Mallards

Acquired a new dog. Took him out opening day to run the edge off and introduce him to gunfire. Hence, the .410 which was a gift from my late father-in-law. No birds but we had a nice walk and he heard his first gun shots.
MD Goose season. Parker 10

November Deer with drillings

September dove with Weber & Schultheis percussion sxs

Mills, great shot of you holding the two birds. At least I'm assuming it's you.
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Mills, great shot of you holding the two birds. At least I'm assuming it's you.

cool
Hi all, was only able to get out for an hour today, lots of stuff going on at home! Anyway, nice day today, a bit windy, with temps in the upper 20's. Yesterday we had a low of -25 and a high of -5 (that's air temp BTW), so today was great.

Anyway, was able to scratch one, could have got more if they would have held, but oh well, that's late season hunting!

I was using my 12ga Buhag today, the background is snow BTW:

Merry Christmas!

Greg
Great picture - thanks Greg!
Hi all, was only able to get out for an hour today, lots of stuff going on at home! Anyway, nice day today, a bit windy, with temps in the upper 20's. Yesterday we had a low of -25 and a high of -5 (that's air temp BTW), so today was great.

Anyway, was able to scratch one, could have got more if they would have held, but oh well, that's late season hunting!

Merry Christmas!

Greg

You are dead to me again.
Originally Posted By: wburns

Merry Christmas!

Greg

You are dead to me again.

But, but I thought I got the okay to go out without you?

Damn, I can never win!
Wonderful picture

Thanks for sharing
Mike
It is never ok.
Now you went and did it Greg. Let's see if you get invited to the Wade Burns North Dakota SxS Classic. grin
Best Buhag I have seen, as well...Steve
I'm not a member of the "Crazy for Parkers" club, but I must say the Damascus barrels on Mr Patton's 10 bore are among the most beautiful I have ever seen, regardless of gun make.
Saturday morning at Bear Garden Swamp. That's Stella with a limit of Woodies...Geo

Quail hunt in South Georgia. Fox Sterlingworth 16

Hi all, my son Will and I went out today in the cold frozen north (the temp was -3, but little wind) to chase some pheasants. The snow was pretty deep off the roads and it was hard getting to some of the spots we normally hunt, but I managed to get a couple anyway, Will didn't do so well.

I was using my 16ga Ugartechea Model 1030:

Will and Duchess:

Happy New Years all!

Greg
Today was a special day for me. My son growing up didn't get to shoot or hunt. My EX wouldn't allow it. We fished together when he visited but shooting and hunting was in the cards then.

This year he decided to take up shooting a handguns. So I've taken him and the his kids to the range a number of times. For his Christmas I handed down my old Beretta BL3 20 guage which I've hand longer than he has been alive by a year or two.

Today we loaded up the dogs, went hunting and he shot his first pheasant. He really enjoyed watching the dogs work (who doesn't). He says he is looking forward to next years grouse season. I guess now after almost 40 years I'll have a son to hunt with.

oh and the new-to-me Belgain Giuld gun is a good fit.

Dec. 30, 2013. Chuck Heald, Sky (unhappily wearing the boots of bondage and torture), Jasmine (what a sweetheart) & Dirk (mortified to be on the same tailgate with a POINTER FGS smile ), near Canelo, AZ.
Bill Henry very kindly came early and made some scratch marks and spread Mearns' feathers around to keep the dog's enthusiasm up. As soon as I left, he released the quail he had stashed in remote control boxes for Chuck and Sky wink

Good picture Drew. That Sky has motor on her, don't she!

Chuck using red duct to hold on Lewis boots is patented by me. You may be committing a tortious patent violation. Please cease and desist or my lawyer could be contacting you. My Brittanys would have that little bit of tape off the first boot before I got the second boot taped on. I have to go all the way down to the heel.
1959 Model 12 16 gauge resting on a pair of Model 1948 dove hunter's legs on a cold, gray morning in Georgia today. Model 2011 Brittany between Model 1948 legs. Both Model 2011 Brittany and 1959 Model 12 in better condition than dove hunter sitting on a dove stool.
What a great day! 5 hrs, 7 coveys, 14 birds in the bag. And oh yeah... They were all wild!!!! Gotta love south Georgia in the winter!

I used my Grulla 209H in 20ga

My 75 year old guest thought he'd gone back in time to the "good ole days"!!!

Adam
So Greg, how long is the bird season in North Dakota, 6 months?

Here in Massachusetts it's 6 weeks. 6 WEEKS! Could you live with that? And that includes half of October where the foliage is beautiful but still on the trees, hiding every bird that flushes in about .87 seconds.

6 WEEKS!!!!!!!! And it doesn't even matter if you've got 59 beautiful doubles like you, you'd still only have 6 weeks to try to cram in maybe 10 of 'em.

6 WEEKS!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
So Greg, how long is the bird season in North Dakota, 6 months?

Here in Massachusetts it's 6 weeks. 6 WEEKS! Could you live with that? And that includes half of October where the foliage is beautiful but still on the trees, hiding every bird that flushes in about .87 seconds.

6 WEEKS!!!!!!!! And it doesn't even matter if you've got 59 beautiful doubles like you, you'd still only have 6 weeks to try to cram in maybe 10 of 'em.

6 WEEKS!!!!!!!!

I'll answer for my buddy Greg. From mid September till the first weekend in January. This year most of the month of December was sub zero weather with a wind howling up our asses. How would you like to unzip and take a mid hunt pee when it's so cold you have to back away from the frozen stream? Could you live with that?
KK, I used to live just north of where JRB and Greg live. He's not exaggerating about backing up when you pee.
The end of deer season drudgery of picking up feeders and cleaning out stands was highlighted by a visit to the pond for some duck and wild rice ingredients.....course, Bella had to be the principal agent in this. "Last time I saw a chance like you, I shot about there...."

Unusual that a rabbit dog will retrieve a duck.
Yep....but Bella is an all-around dog; last week when I shot a meat doe (think sausage)in the wheat field, she ran around it barking, then grabbed it by the ear and tried to drag it....wouldn't win any field trial points, but won my heart. One good dog, one good shotgun, and one good woman in every man's life....still looking for the shotgun; gave up on the fairer sex.
Amen Brother
Bella is one FINE companion! smile
Thanks for sharing
She likes me best laugh
Gary, I've told you time 'n again to quit pot shooting 'em on the water. Course you've got a good point about saving ammunition.
But Joe; you get such a great impression of your shotgun pattern on water....didn't you tell me that?
End of the pics for me, as my hunting this season, save turkeys, is over.

Crane hunting in West Texas, with two of the other principals on our lease- great guys and posters on this BBS:

My good friend Milton, giving our new smoker a test run with some ribs:

Oh, and some of the guns employed:

I closed my duck season out with three days back in my old stomping grounds in the L'Anguille River bottoms in Arkansas last week. This was the first morning. Limits of mallards by 7:20 A.M., along with a few "scrap ducks".

Me and my old trusty BSS 3" gun, using RIO Blue Steel #4s. In yo' face shooting in the green timber over dekes. Had to shoot a couple in the head and neck, like a turkey, they were so close. Second morning five of us had five full limits by 9:15 A.M., including a hen and a drake black ducks. Third morning was slow, only killed nine before we left.

SRH
Stan, that looks like great sport! Nothing like green timber shooting in the delta.

16 you boys collected some 1st class eating with those sandhills. We have no season on them here in GA but I've shot lots of'em up in Sask. We call the breasts "flying tenderloin".

Do you ever get the big white ones out there. They'll often close whole areas to crane shooting in Sask. when the whoopers come through...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Stan, that looks like great sport! Nothing like green timber shooting in the delta.

16 you boys collected some 1st class eating with those sandhills. We have no season on them here in GA but I've shot lots of'em up in Sask. We call the breasts "flying tenderloin".

Do you ever get the big white ones out there. They'll often close whole areas to crane shooting in Sask. when the whoopers come through...Geo

I'll second Geo.'s comments Stan. Being from the Canadian prairies, I have never done the flooded timber shooting. Sure looks like fun. And of course our season is much shorter due to temps dropping. Rarely do we get into November before freeze up in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I've seen the whooping cranes just twice. Not surprising as the numbers in the wild got as low as 20 or so. I think they are up around 500 now, so not too plentiful but great to see.
Sorry for the tardy response but, yes, I definitely could live with sub-zero weather for most of one month with a 5 month bird season.

By the way, while noting that the winters in North Dakota, as well as many western states, get God Almighty cold, please don't think we bask in tropical weather during the winter in New England along the Connecticut River. I am no stranger to sub-zero weather. We get our dose here, and this past autumn and winter have dealt out more than a taste.

Please don't read any animosity in my post. There is NONE. Just envy.

I'm just mighty jealous of ALL the states that have longer hunting seasons than ours. It's just ridiculous to limit a bird season to 6 weeks, dontcha think?

Well, a possible answer is open to me. I guess I should start by getting a Vermont license. I believe their season is 3 months. A good friend of mine recently bought a 10 acre farm in the Northeast kingdom so now I'd even have a place to crash.
Stan, nothing like shooting a pile of greenheads in the timber. Glad you had a good time doing it.
16 or is it "Mossman"? Great Ghillie suit and sandhill action. We see them around, but can't hunt them. I understand that a wounded sandhill is nothing for man nor dog to trifle with because of that spear on the end of his face.
Originally Posted By: GLS
I understand that a wounded sandhill is nothing for man nor dog to trifle with because of that spear on the end of his face.

Oh it's nothing a 3" magnum load of 2s to the middle of the neck at a safe 5 feet won't take care of...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I've never seen whoopers on the lease, but their reputation for mixing in with the cranes makes one sure they know what one looks like, and the TPWD hunting booklet has some solemn warnings. Another of the crane nicknames around here is "ribeye in the sky." Made the mistake of giving a breast to the neighbor- now he wants an invite to hunt cranes next season. Actually, it was given to his wife (who loved it)who gave her husband a bite. They can be mean when wounded (cranes and neighbors), and I have great memories of Milton (pictured by the smoker) in mortal hand to beak combat. He broke a wing, and the bird took up a defensive position in some brush (they often run, and just last week Milton chased one for about a quarter mile before he was able to get close enough to put some more lead in it). Milton was my guest on the hunt, and we were pretty new to cranes. Not wanting to waste a shell, he closed in on the bird with a stick. What followed was a dance of bob and weave, poke and parry, with me laughing so hard I could barely hold the camera. Milton would swing, the bird would hiss and stab, and I would forever kick myself for forgetting the camera's video function.

They are smart, with incredible eyesight, and stalking when they are on the ground is seldom successful. Lead is allowed, and 'round here where pass shooting is the norm, the larger the shot the better- #2 is my preference, though the first one I ever bagged was with my Arrieta 16 and # 4's. The last two were with #6 lead, as my poor shooting had depleted my supply of 2's and the last two were at a range of less than ten yards (yes, they were in the air). For some reason, a reporter was on the property with her husband, and wanted to take a picture of my friend in the ghillie suit. He has been hunting cranes many years, and thought the suit was helpful. Camo is a must, but lack of movement, not unlike turkey hunting, seems even more critical to success. All in all a worthy adversary, and fantastic table fare.

Mike
Gil, when I was about ten, my brothers and I were about 1/2 mile from home catfish fishing one summer day. While lolling around waiting for a bite a great blue heron landed about 20 yards from us on the shoreline of the river. One of my brothers, who was pretty good at this sort of thing, in youthful ignorance and excitement, picked up a rock and took aim. He managed to stun the bird, whereupon my other brother rushed in and grabbed it.

So we are standing there, my brother holding the bird, one hand around the neck just below the head and the other arm and hand pinning the bird's body and wings against his.

Now that we have a live blue heron , the only thing left to do is to show it to someone, so we headed home to show my dad. As we were walking along the gravel road, about half way, I guess my brother with the bird got a little complacent as suddenly the bird's head (and of course beak) snapped towards the brother who had beaned it with the rock. Missed by a fraction of an inch. Could have been a real disaster!

With a much snugger grip and a bit more focus, we got home with it, showed it off and let it go. Pretty sure he was happy to be rid of us.

All three of us have had a healthy respect for those kinds of beaks ever since.
duplicate post
My go to electrician lost an eye to a heron when he was a boy. Pecked him right in the eye.

SRH
There is a marsh bird called a bittern. It's sort of a plump brown heron looking bird with a spindle beak like a sandhill. They have the unususal habit of not flying when you get close but stick their head and beak straight up in the air and think they are invisible. They ain't!

A big "flight" of them came into Ocean Pond one year and I put my kid brother in the front of the jon boat and we went bittern grabbing. He'd get'em by the neck and stick them in the boat's live well. They all went for his eyes when he'd grab them. We turned'em all loose without injury to them or to us...Geo
Another awesome hunt!

12 coveys (mix of wild and early released) that produced 32 birds for the bag

Copper pinning down a covey that was caught dust bathing on the edge of the field.
Last duck hunts of the season. One on the Altamaha River, GA, and the last in SC lowcountry

Adam great pictures of a great hunt. Wish there were quail around here. I loved to hunt them out by Carlisle, Pa years ago and in southern New Jersey near the now Marlboro Hospital.

Mills, nice to see a woodduck, they are one of the first to leave and won't see any till spring.

I don't hunt ducks or geese but that is the only thing around here anymore, might have to take it up.
This shot is definitely Not from the 2013 season. The hunter died 40+ years ago. It is an old photo of my Grandfather and shows the results a a day's bird hunting in middle GA back in the 1940s. I now own the 16ga Browning A-5 leaning against the table and the farm from which the birds were taken. I'd swap the Browning and the farm both for another chance to hunt birds with him...Geo

Geo, great photo and account. Thanks for sharing. Gil
3 dogs, 3 guns and 3 limits. Every now and then you have one of those days you will never forget. Mine was Friday which was the last day of SC woodcock season. We hunted with my Abby, 3 last Tuesday, and a 12 year old über Brittany until lunchtime. Then a 4 year old male Brittany after lunch with Abby on the ground all day. It was mid 40s, perfect weather and scent conditions. We had over 40 flushes in tight, tall cover. Once, Abby and the old dog were butt to butt pointing in different directions with birds everywhere. The dog work was better than the gun work. Abby was slap worn out--you can see it in her eyes below. No fancy guns. A Citori and Uggie 20's and my 1957 M37' 26"iC 16 below. <br />
I
Love those Brittanys Gil.

What a day and thanks for sharing it with us.
Snipe hunt Coastal GA. Parker GH 12 gauge

Parker GH 12 gauge

Mills, I like seeing snipe pictures.

I got a new gun in November, the first in a handful of years. Nothing exciting, just an easy carrying 20 gauge Belgian guild gun made in 1936.

On the cold days the dog gets to go with me but if the temperature is going to get much above 60 he has to stay home. Far too many cottonmouths and gators in the swamps I hunt.

Great photos! Looks like you had better luck than I did. I am hoping for one more hunt this season. I probably saw a limit of snipe, but only got that one shot. Snipe are one of my favorite game birds, but I don't get to go very often.
Mills, best of luck if you get to go again. They are without a doubt my favorite bird to shoot. I don't get to hunt them as often as I would like either but I do punish them at least once a week for three and a half months so I can't complain.
Skip,I especially like the organized disarray of the snipe pile photo. I know how difficult that must have been for you to do. wink Sweet looking gun and dog...Jackson's now a big boy.. Gil
Gil, not only did the random placement wreak havoc with my OCD but the wind was howling and it took some effort getting the little fallas to stay piled up. Here is another group in similar organized disarray.

A special day each season is the annual birthday hunt for this 16 gauge gun. A letter from the maker indicates that the day of completion was January 21 so each year I take it hunting either on that day or within a couple of days of it. The year of manufacture was 1914 so this year was its 100th birthday.

Nice. Close up photos of the knife, please.
Skip, The Coggie's 100th Birthday deserved tweed plus fours. That old Filson vest looks close enough, however. Gil
Gil, I have as pair of tweed plus twos and a tweed shooting vest. One day you just might see me wearing them.

Steve, here is a picture of the knife. Overall length is 7".

thank you, it's absolutely beautiful.
Took the afternoon off and had a beautiful day in the snipe fields. 65 degrees. (how you like those apples, Joel. smile ). No tastier bird than a snipe. Air trout.
1957 Ithaca M37 20 Ga. 26" Mod.

looks like a very successful duck hunt.I was four for 16.The dog Romie got disgusted .She would run out after the smoke cleared but no bird .Next season I'm moving to an 8 gauge. [email:][/email]
Jeweler, it does appear that Romie has a "get me out of here, Chauncey" look on her face. I assume that's a 10, if your next move is an 8. Gil
I've seen a similar look many times from my dog.

Gil, I'm jealous that you still have some shooting time left. I'm already counting down the days to next season.
I made it out one more time on the 15th. The last day of the season is usually a day of mixed feelings. I know within a week I am going to wish I could hunt again but at the same time I've usually had my fill of it and am ready to catch some fish.

Great photo of Jackson and you scratching his chin.
Here are some of the highlights: Tug Hill Grouse (ICD 20ga.) & SD Pheasants.

Today was the last Saturday in the wild quail season. Even though it was a bit warm we hit the woods for a couple hours and I'm glad we did. In 2 hrs we found 4 nice covey (3 of them were huge). There were 3 of us in total with a great variety of dogs. An English Pointer, an English Setter, a Musterlander, and my 2 britts.

Friend Dawson with his pair of birds shot with his Arrieta Orvis Uplander sidelock-ejector 16ga.

Orvis Arrieta Uplander in 16ga with a precious pair of wild bobwhites

Young Copper wore slap out!

Adam
George Calef,the sports writer,is spending a couple months in our neighborhood away from the balmy weather in the Yukon :), so we took in a crisp sunny morning and did a little damage to the local Canada goose population. He is with his new canine pal, Motzie

I sure do enjoy this thread!! Thanks to all of you. Maybe one day I will get to post a few. smile
Yesterday was a rainy snipe day in Georgia, but better than a rainy workday in Georgia. Everything and everybody got soaked. Manufrance Robust 226 16 gauge. This about wraps up snipe season for me.
Good job with the new gun, Gil, fine way to break it in.

SRH
Echoing Stan, happy to see you put the Robust to work so quickly. Obviously it works.
Gil, I need to show you how to purty them birds up before you take their picture.
Best way to "purty up" a snipe is to serve him on a plate, nicely done.

SRH
That is a great photo Gil. Now looking forward to turkey season
Stan, James,
It was critical that I hunt yesterday as I was running out of time on the 3 day inspection period. We know how important that can be. I decided to keep the gun; otherwise, I would have sent the gun back to the seller with a complimentary oil change.
Skip, actually, as someone has commented, those aren't snipe but it is the headpiece to my ghillie suit. The gun is resting on my head. This is a selfie. Look closely for my eyes.
Mills, thanks, the main event in Ga. begins the third Saturday in March. Gil
Abby, Billy and I shot released birds today. Billy and Abby held up their ends today. I couldn't shoot my way out of a wet paper bag. Billy shot his granddad's old 20 gauge Superposed #21xx. Date and grade anyone?

Grade V, 1951 yr of production. Nice old gun. (precursor to more modern Diana grade).
Here of some pics from yesterdays pheasant hunt. It may be the last hunt of the season but I hope not. The preserves close on the 15th.

I hunted with my buddy Dave and his three Dratthaar pointers. The birds flew hard and the dog work was excellent. I hunted using my old Belgian Guild 12 Gauge with unmolested 26 inch barrels choked cylinder and full. It is great combination over pointing dogs.

Snipe and caribou from Western Aleutian Islands. Adak, Alaska.

Great posts everyone!
After much repeated humiliation I finally got my first snipe with a muzzleloader right at the tail end of the season this year.

Shane - Lovely Muzzleloader. Please tell us more of your gun. Bore, loads and such. Nice dog as well. Kind regards,
Dave
From Saturdays pheasant hunt.

My friend Dave taking a bird over my dog Timber's point

A few points and backs

With thanks to my wife for snapping the photos
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com