doublegunshop.com - home
I picked up a Charles Daly Lindner last week at a local gun shop and found this forum...what a wealth of information here. It's a 12ga with 28" barrels and weighs 6lbs 7oz. I don't know if it is in the registry but anything more you guys can tell me about the gun would be much appreciated. Thanks

Need some more practice posting pics.....here are some more

The only problem I have found with the gun is that one of the barrels is a little out of round. There's no dent visible but if you look closely you can tell that the barrel is no perfectly round. I'm guessing the tip of the barrel was bumped against something. Should I repair this or see how it patterns as is?

I have numerous old SxS's that don't check round with a inside mic. I suppose a top SC's shooter would find it unacceptable, but for casual shooting they seem just fine. If you had a tapered round plug you could try and repair it if you found it necessary. I had a Parker that fell and made the barrel really out of round - I did as for mentioned and you can't tell now. In the Double Gun Journal, Vol. 16, Issue 4, there's a nice article on Lindner doubles I think you'll really enjoy. Call 1-800-447-1658
The damascus has no strength when struck from the side. It is meant to handle the internal hoop stress instead. It should not affect your shooting. If you are really concerned, pattern the gun before any attempt at repair.

I have a number of guns with small dings at the muzzle. They still take birds if I do my part.

Pete
I would remove the dent. A tapered metal plug will straighten it out with only a light tap from a hammer. Very simple job so why not do it. Guaranteed the dent will adversely affect patterns. Incidently, nice find! You can't go wrong with a Lindner Daly, they're in a class by themselves.
Always nice to see another Lindner Daly. Wish I knew more about them. And wish I hadn't passed on a really nice one about 12 years ago over a couple thousand dollars more than I felt I could spend at the moment. This gun, being one of the less decorated versions poses a couple questions. The fore end lacks the typical cross bolts on those with which I am familiar. Further, it doesn't appear to have the little black horn inlays on the bottom of the pistol grip and fore end tip. Were these items optional or not used on all his guns? The metal seems consistent with the gun's age so I hope to learn whether the stock is typical on this grade of Lindner guns.
Jerry,

You are correct, no horn on the pistol grip. I've been trying to find some info about this model myself. I see alot about the Diamond grade but hardly anything about this model. Am I correct in thinking the "1210" translates to Dec 1910 manufacture date? Anyone wanna give an educated guess on the value?
Jerry, the forend tip appears to be a replacement, perhaps some type of wood? Of course, it would have been horn originally. The lower grades typically did not have the rounded horn cap on the grip.
WDE,

The 1210 could be a date but it would be somewhat unusual in that mandatory dating didn't get into common use until about mid 1920s. I have had a couple German guns which post dated this one that still didn't have a date stamp. I would think this gun came in the 1892 -1911 proof laws period. After 1911 Nitro proofs became more common than just black powder proofs. Your gun has no nitro proof marks that I can see from the photos. They would typically show on the side of the barrel and on the frame.
Joe,

Did the lower grades not use the fore end escutchons or was that a variable.
The forend inlay is something that you or a future owner will have to address. It should be ebony. You might give us more information about your Daly like barrel length, stock length, whether it is for sale, etc.
Jerry, I have always related the cross pin you are referring to as part of an ejector. They do not have it if extractor.
Value 6-$800 as long as barrels are usable
$600 for a Daly?
I have a German gun proof dated for 1907 & another 1913. Both also carry Nitro proof correct for their dates. The 1907 gun is a hammerless drilling (maker unmarked) in 16/16/8x58 Sauer & the 1913 one is a Miller & Val Greiss hammer drilling in 16/16/9.3x72R. The hammerless one is unshootable with major flaws, not the least of which is a burst shot bbl on one side & a bulge in the cone area on the other. The rifle would I think be shootable.
Both of these guns also have the number beneath the date showing what number of gun to go through proof it was. As I recall this started anew monthly.
Although not mandatory at the time that 1210 could very well be a proof date.
The barrels measure 28" and the gun weighs 6lb 7oz which seems to be lighter than most I've seen on the net. I'm a little confused over the fore end, do you think the wood tip was added or should there be an ebony piece that fits over this wood tip? I'll take some better pics tonight and measure the LOP.

As far as whether I am looking to sell the gun, I'm really not sure, I bought it on a whim and planned to hunt it, but have read that I can't shoot modern loads in this gun and that is disappointing to me. However if it's only worth $600-$800 then I will keep it and if nothing else just hang it over my fireplace.

Thanks so much for the input.... the info is much appreciated.
12 ga Damascus,inlay removed,sure,I saw one very similar with steel go $850.

Nice gun,just don't bring that much in this market
Not being "Up" on the Daly Guns, what is that horizontal raised bit of metal on the side of the left fence..just where a crossbolt might go???..is it part of a bolt of some kind?..
Surely this Gun, although with sparse engraving, is worth more than $800 if all is well...it looks rather lovely in a sparse but elegant way...but I really dont know....shit, I'd buy one for that price if I saw`one
cheers

franc
I'll bet a new gun built to the same standard would be several thousand dollars.
I would think it would bring more than $800.00--but like anything, to the right person.
WDE,

You have a Daly model 135. It retailed for $140 when it was produced circa 1900/1901.

As others have mentioned, the gun is missing its forend tip which would be either ebony or horn. The horn tip on the end of the grip is usually only seen on higher grade guns and then only sporadically.

The square crossbolt which extending past the left fence was only used by Lindner for a limited time. Guns withe this variety crossbolt are typically found in the range in the 500 - 1,000 serial number range.

The "steel eyes" Jerry is referring to denotes the presence of ejectors on the gun. As this is an extractor gun, it does not have them. If it did, this would be a model 185, and it would have retailed for $185 when it was produced.

Nice Daly - enjoy!

Ken
RHD45,
Yes, ..how much are new Damascus bbls these days???
I think it would cost so much that no one would buy it smile
It's hard to see the wood,with the angle, but it looks like its rather nice also.
WDE...If the bbls & other major points check out in good order, & your cool with Damascus,& you got it near the price/s mentioned, I think you should be Very Pleased, I would be..
I'm still surprized at the low values mentioned here though
franc
Thanks for the information about the "Steel Eyes" being part of the ejectors. I guess every Daly I have ever handled was an ejector gun. The Diamond Grade I had from this same era did have the ejectors. As for shooting with this gun, it would be little problem to either load low pressure nitro loads or black powder loads suitable - assuming the barrels are checked out first. I shoot a lot of black powder flintlock so using that wouldn't constrain me at all. Just don't use plastic wads and don't reuse the hulls. If this model is as slick inside as the Diamond grades the buttery action will be a total delight.
Looks like a nice Daly. Value depends on barrel wall thickness and choke and bore dimensions, not internet trolls.
I think a lot of you window shoppers are only wishing with the prices mentioned here. Last year at the Tulsa show I sold a Lindner Daly in the same grade and maybe a tiny better condition with 30" barrels and weighing seven and a quarter pounds. Had a stock drop of 3 1/4". The dealer paid me $2,500 and immediately sold it for $3,000. This lightweight gun would easily match or exceed mine if it's on face and the bores are good, etc. As Sergeant Friday used to say, "just the facts, mamn......just the facts".
And those barrels were ???? Damascus?? Thickness ???
and it had the ebony tip removed ???

Ok who will pay him $1000 with whats known

Barnett has had this one for while probably gave just under 1k;

http://www.gunsinternational.com/CHARLES-DALY-SXS-DAMASCUS-12-GAUGE.cfm?gun_id=100366191

Cobbs:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/CHAS-DALY-PRUSSUAN-MADE-BY-LINDER-12-GA-26.cfm?gun_id=100341691

BTW, aint no "window shopper" pal,been around just like you ,you think its worth more fine,no need to be a prick

Just the facts pal !
I just took some measurements: LOP is 14" to the front trigger and 13" to the rear trigger. The left barrel measures .725" and right measures .710". Where would I take a measurement for wall thickness?

As far as prices go, no one is offending me. I know these are priced all over the place and ultimately it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Ken, I've read that you're have a fairly extensive registry, was this gun on it?
Originally Posted By: Dave K
BTW, aint no "window shopper" pal,been around just like you ,you think its worth more fine,no need to be a prick

Thanks, Dave, I needed that!
Happy to help pal ! grin

WDE,
I hope you get more,a lot more,just posting what I see at the auctions.Put it up for $3k maybe Joes dealer will buy it and flip it ! Only takes one buyer

This would be a good thread if one poster deleted all of his comments. Ken, Joe, and I happen to know a little about Lindners and their values. The Barnett gun and the Cobb gun have major problems like pitted barrels, maybe cut barrels, opened chokes, recoil pads, you name it. Those two dealers know about the defects of their guns and priced accordingly. We have warned the original poster that certain things have to be looked at before a value can be determined, specifically barrel condition.
I'm in Birmingham, AL...anyone know of someone in my vicinity that could inspect the barrels and confirm the gun is safe to shoot?
Hey Bill,

first you play the "troll" bs (and your the king of Trolls on the for sale section)and I let it go as I figure your losing it,now you want to me to delete my comments because you think you know more ???

The original poster asked what it was worth,as far as we know it has one issue with the barrels and don't know if its even shootable.I put up my figure if you don't like it or my posts then move on,your just proving what ahole you can be when your off your meds.
I'm not afraid to ask; what is an example of my misbehavior on the for sale subforum? And how did you assume that you were the troll I was referring to? I'm sure the fellow you referred to as a "prick" has been around a bit more than you have.
You can find shells to shoot.RTS

I'm a bit tardy to the party on this one and a few others, but I'd really like to see this example in hand. Where are you in Birmingham? I'm a bit North of you. Anyway, the touchmark above HA's mark looks like the script L used by the Boys Kelber, but I've always thought they worked fluid steel. If this is the case, it would make a most interesting find. What better to have a sporting weapon with Kelber tubes(pattern welded or not) that passed under the quality control eye of H.A. Lindner? Also what are the initials near the lower rib? I'll cross this to the Daly thread along with an early Daly I viewed at Cabelas-Witicha a few months back, which I really to think to have the initials HB. I'll get it all together when I'm home and have a bit.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-Library/Wichita-Gun-Library%7C/pc/103792680/c/112378680/Charles-Daly-SxS-in-12-Ga/1666840.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D112378680%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BSAcat104791680%253Bcat103792680

Copy & Paste or use:
Reference #: 2720656

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Subject sporting weapon
Looks like the trailing edge turns up vs. the one below? Who knows they may have burned thru a lorry load of tool steel stamps by the time the Heym tube was rolled.

Touchmarks on Heym in this thread:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post300144

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Axel on Louis Kebler and the script L:

"This mark was used by the Gebrüder Kelber barrelmaking company, founded by Louis Kelber( Trübenbachstrasse 1 at some point ) in 1894, owned then by Louis, Robert and Wilhelm Kelber. They used either this L stamp or a LK. In 1927 the "Gebr. Kelber" company was dissolved, but as noted above both Louis and Wilhelm Kelber started again on their own, Louis using the "LK" stamp and Wilhelm the well-known "WK". Who, one or both?, for which orders?..."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=234074&page=3

It would seem that post WWII that the heirs and assigns of Ernst Kelber were Karl Kelber & Alfred Wolf and they carried the firm of Louis Kelber forward. I'm not sure if Ernst Kelber was the sohn of Louis or not. For sure much more research needs to be performed in the area of Gebrüder Kelber.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
From what I've saw...I don't think I'd want to be in it for $800.00

Reason being...Any work you do yourself will most likely kill the value and any money you spend to have it repaired correctly you'll never recoup even at an $800 investment.
You have a nice gun WDE, treat it well. The only Linder I've seen go for $600 was total junk and it went quick. You are going to get good information here and some not so good.
Looks like a nice gun. The barrels really make the value. The usual questions are: Are they pitted? Have they been honed? Are the ribs loose? Are the barrels tight on face? The out of round on the end of the barrel is easily fixed. If the answers are happy answers, the value of this grade Lindner should be in the $1500-$2250 range , in my opinion. Could be higher to the right buyer. It is the most desirable box lock gun, in my opinion. Many German guns are valued far less than their quality indicates. Lindner, too, but not as badly. Many German guns can be had in the $600-800 range, but a Lindner is under priced for this amount if in good shape.

By the way, Dalys are usually done in the black and white like American guns, whereas Euro guns are generally browned Damascus.

The Damascus guns were proofed to the same loads as fluid steel guns of that time. Shoot neither Damascus or fluid steel guns of those times with hot loads of today. This includes the fluid steel Super Foxes which were marked 3". Many of them have bulged chambers due to shooting modern hot 3" loads, and these were fluid steel. I think the first truly modern steels were used starting about 1930. The Browning Superposed and Winch 21 come to mind as about the first.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com