doublegunshop.com - home
This is a really nice little Charles Daly 12 bore gun weighing 6 3/4 lbs with 28" barrels. No markings on gun to indicate maker though it appears to be Prussian. Early gun, perhaps around 1871. Great wood and mechanically fine and original. Unfortunately it appears someone stored it in a fleece case and there is significant corrosion on the action, etc. but that's not the question I have.

A very old addition to the gun is a solid nickel scroll behind the trigger guard. It was neatly added by someone who knew what they were doing. They slightly filed 1/4" and 3/8" flats on the tang front and rear and secured it with brads.

I am debating whether to leave it as is or remove it. It's not really comfortable in the hand and just sort of interrupts the lines of the original straight wrist. If I do remove it the tang would show the little flats that were filed and the two holes, which I would plug.

In favor of leaving it as is would be the addition is very old, probably dating back to the 70's and is part of the gun's history. A quaint piece of Americana.

What say this august body? Leave it as is or remove it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Oh, it is a "mystery gun". Barrels were welded in Birmingham and carry only provisional proof. Tubes were joined by brazing. Nickel plating on all hardware appears original. Serial number of 15,251 on all metal parts would fit nicely with W. & C. Scott series. I dunno....parts sourced in England and assembled in Prussia?

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
What say this August body? Leave it as is or remove it?

I think this is a November body, not an August body.

Have your gun mechanic remove it and reshape it. Have it engraved to match the original. Put it back on.

I emailed you but no reply. Do you want to go hunt quail tomorrow?
Posted By: tw Re: Charles Daly hammergun restoration opinions? - 11/29/13 01:37 AM
I dunno, Joe. Depends on whether or not you intend to hunt it. If you do then I'd have the 'metallic pistol grip' removed. Document it, of course, just because & keep it in a baggie or something tagged so that can be tied back to the gun if ever needed. Looks to me like someone was trying to make it work for a person with a small hand or one who prefered a pistol grip. People at that time tended to be smaller in stature, so could have been man or woman, but I'd suspect the former. Just thinking out loud, not always the most intelligent choice on a public forum, but you asked.

Have you checked on Mike? Holed up in the cellar w/five dogs and no whiskey sounds to me like an invitation to more trouble. My own dog just said to me that he should take lessons from me in digging holes. We be holed up in the back, not having a cellar. Just as well that he does not drink, no tellin' whot he'd be tellin' me then.
Take it off, Take it ALL off.
Good luck on the hunt with Mike tomorrow
Wear your flak jacket
Mike
It probably seemed like a good idea at the time. I'd take it off.
That's a beautiful stock. I would definitely remove that piece of metal if the gun were mine. A bit of an eyesore IMO.
Does it work to open bottles of Lone Star when you wiggle them into the opening?
If you can get it to work for that use, then, leave it.

None of my doubles has a "church key" installed, but, the more I think about it, the more I like the concept.

Best,
Ted
Now Ted, I think we're on to something real revolutionary. Lord help us if the fellers in the Robinson clan down in Louisiana get tipped off on this improvement. Might just find 'em more common than choke tubes.
I went to college with Phil at Louisiana Polytechnic Institute, now called La Tech

Mike
It looks like part of a gate from a wrought iron fence in a cemetery. sick
It looks like a wart on a beautiful girl.........off with it.
Have a foot in both camps have a replacement trigger guard made with a profile to suit the gun so you can have the gun either way with its history unchanged.
If it were my gun, I would remove it. As has been said more eloquently than I can say.....It takes away from the looks of a lovely gun.
If it was a glow worm sight would you think twice about taking it off? To me this after market addition is just as much out of place as one of those sight would be. Remove it and forget about it. So unless you like the addition remove it and at least restore the good lines that gun was born with. Damn thing looks like a dangling participle and we all know you should never have one of those.

I bought a very early Browning Superposed with two triggers which some trap shooter had added a Morgan adjustable recoil pad. Function, but looked like Hell. Off it came and I added a leather covered pad. Looks much nicer now. That addition bothers you so get rid of it. I rather see a scar from its removal than the wart it is on the gun. If possible remove it and any trace that it ever existed.
Part of the gun now. Unless it bothers your shooting I'd leave it if it were mine. JMHO...Geo
Is that trigger guard nickel plated? I have a Bayard hammer gun with a false under lever, but much nicer an appendage than yours.
Yes, the trigger guard, trigger plate, and buttplate are all nickel plated and appear totally original with the engraving still very sharp. Both the trigger guard and top tang are very long as often found on early breechloaders and muzzle loaders.
Update: well, after commiserating and considering the opinions offered here, I did the dastardly deed today. Considering everything I think it came out as well as possible and sure has better lines. Plugged the holes with drill rod and aged it all a bit with acid.

The surgery and amputated scroll guard

Hey Joe

Good riddance to the Snidely Whiplash appendage.

Sure is a nice piece of timber and a fine gun.

Pan fried Quail and grits, Yummm
It would not bug me either way....meaning hunting or the looks.I would not waste the time or the money.
Just shoot it.....if you don't like it I might have a soft spot in my heart to help you get some of your money out of it...Just curious how is it choked????
Does look better taken off
Joe : If it bugs you, you could always have a new trigger guard fabricated.
Monty, what is "choke"? This gal was born in either 1870 or 1871. Yesterday she took me hunting for wild Texas quail. I was just along for the ride. AmarilloMike's turd hounds actually found some birds and this ole gal dropped three for four shots. The odd shot out came while I was walking back to the truck and darned near stepped on a twenty bird covey. HEART ATTACK! Mounted the gun, remembered it wasn't cocked, got one back, half remounted, and blew the neatest hole you ever saw into an empty sky. Chuckled all the way back and had to listen to Mike's running commentary on my somewhat less than graceful style.

A beautiful day and lots of birds.

Joe, if you ever come to Washington, we will try to schedule a Lindnerfest around your visit. This is a bit of a hotbed of Lindner collecting and interest. Our Lindnerfests involve waving of Lindner guns and consumption of brown whiskey. Murphy
This is Joe with the gun on our Friday hunt. By the way y'all are all wrong, he should've left the gun as is.

The point:

The kickup:

The flush:
On this hunt he told me he wished I would get a real camera because you can't get a decent picture of flying birds because the cell phone camera shutter speeds are so slow. One more time...

The retrieve:

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com