doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LeFusil Model 12 question.... - 01/21/14 11:03 PM
Do any of you know of a simple method of removing and/or re-installing the chamber ring in a model 12 receiver? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Robt. Harris Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 12:18 AM
Don't know of an easy way, Dustin. FWIW, Winchester's assembly/disassembly manual (1957) shows that it is somewhat complicated and may require a special face-cutting bit on the end of a hand drill to get the headspace proper once it's installed. I'd be happy to find out I'm all wrong about this, but I'm remembering it is not exactly a home gunsmithing project without considerable knowledge.

rob
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 12:55 AM
Not looking to change out an old one for new....looking to remove and replace the existing chamber ring due to receiver getting reblued.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 04:06 AM
Its held in by a couple screws from the front of the receiver once the barrel is removed.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 05:12 AM
I know that Chuck. It's not like it just pops out when you remove those screws. The thing is in there good and the last one I took out was a severe P.I.T.A.
I was wondering if there is a "trick" to removing the bloody thing. :-)
Thanks though.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 01:23 PM
I recently rust blued one, and I decided to leave the damn thing in. Extra degreasing was easier than taking it out.
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/22/14 03:28 PM
And that's why simply taking a M-12 down reliably exposes many reblues. Sam
Posted By: Kutter Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/23/14 05:38 AM
It's a slight force fit (if that's the right term) into place. So after the small screws out, on the inside, lay a short piece of hardwood dowel up against the ring. Make the dowel as large in dia as necessary to catch the ring. But short enough that you can place another piece of wood behind it and tap on it.
An EMPTY case placed into the chamber ring can help support the dowel if you don't have one laying around that's either large enough in dia or just need some more area to help dislodge it when you tap against it.
Just don't damage the ring and it's edged with a metal punch. It's actually the first 1/4" of the shell chamber itself.

The shorter the dowel,,the better the angle will be for the second piece to strike it.
It's not a perfect 'tool', but the ring isn't keyed or threaded in place. Just stuck in there pretty good usually.

Then tap the dowel forward and drive the ring out.

The two piece approach is kind of awkward but necessary as you can't get at the ring directly from the back.

I guess you could make up some kind of puller gizmo to use from the from of the frame,,but a stub of a dowel and another scrap of wood seem to work well.

When replacing,,make sure you have the thing lined up perfectly before tapping it back down into place. It's (near) impossible to adjust it to line the screw hole up once in place.
If you need to, you just use the same method to loosen it again and you get better at it for the practice.

Works the same on a 97.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/23/14 03:08 PM
Exposes reblues?? Who cares who did the bluing? If it looks good, it is good, to paraphrase Duke Ellington. Can't understand the collector mentality.....sorry.
Posted By: Boats Re: Model 12 question.... - 01/23/14 05:22 PM
I would squirt in some Kroll leave it overnight first, sometimes tight ones heat it up with a heat gun and squirt some more Kroll in while it's hot. Then go to the knocking

Boats
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com