doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: muchatrucha "Roll Engraving" - 01/29/14 11:57 PM
I've heard that many newer Italian, Spanish among other guns are "roll engraved."
I am trying to perceive how a "roller" with a reverse image could possibly follow all the curves and flats of a SxS or O/U shotgun receiver and impress an image into a metal surface.
Is there some part of the process that I'm missing?
I understand hand engraving, chasing, laser etching, acid etching, photo etching, etc.
Could someone please explain or use images to help me understand the process.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Virginian Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 01:17 AM
Simplest way to picture it is the same way you paint with a paint roller, except of course a lot more pressure. Different size rollers, maybe going in different directions to get the curves.
Posted By: PeteM Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 01:37 AM
The die

Hand rolling machine

Example of roll engraving

Pete
Posted By: muchatrucha Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 04:09 AM
Okay, I can understand rolling a pattern onto a flat surface but what about rolling a continuous fine scroll over and around a breach ball (fence) and onto a curving action surface without braking the pattern. It cannot be done with a simple wheel.
Posted By: steve white Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 04:37 AM
It is probably NOT done...some nice work is done by acid etching, as on some of the Beretta O/U's.
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 06:06 AM
I doubt that the entire action would be completely roll engraved, probably just the flat portions, specifically, the side plates and bottom of the action. The reason I say this is because I bought a new Spanish sidelock, Ugartechea model 257, and noticed that there is a definite difference in the quality of the sidelock plate and bottom action engraving to the rest of the gun. I would hazard to guess that the plates are likely pressed or rolled having such a nice consistent symmetrical finish compared to the fences, top strap, lever, trigger guard, and fore-end metal which appear totally hand engraved being not nearly as perfect in execution.

Tim
Posted By: Mike A. Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 03:49 PM
Thanks for the pix, PeteM! I understood the theory but never saw the practice.

I assume the die for something like the sideplates shown by Tim would be a lot bigger than the one you show, and have a lot more pressure--looks like they do those in just one pass, with maybe a little cleanup at inspection.
Posted By: PeteM Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/30/14 04:31 PM
Mike,

No problem. Do a Google search for "roll engraving" then click images. Some of the dies are massive.

Pete
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/31/14 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike A.
Thanks for the pix, PeteM! I understood the theory but never saw the practice.

I assume the die for something like the sideplates shown by Tim would be a lot bigger than the one you show, and have a lot more pressure--looks like they do those in just one pass, with maybe a little cleanup at inspection.

Here is a picture I found of the specific machine. Obviously the front die is for the sideplates and I'm guessing the rear die is for the action flats.

Tim
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/31/14 04:50 PM
Gosh, I would sure think such massive pressure on something like a sideplate would stretch it to the extent it would need refitting. Comments?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: "Roll Engraving" - 01/31/14 07:32 PM
Joe
I'm pretty sure the roll marking would be done to blanked sideplates prior to any fitting.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com