doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Can you identify- photos just added - 02/09/14 01:32 AM
Just picked up this Bock-Büchsflinte. couldn't pass it up.
Kal. 5.6x15R and 10.4x76R
Obviously restocked in California English.
someone spent a few bucks giving it modern shootable dimensions

before you continue, take a minute and think of what this gun is.

Someone spared no expense. This is a cool little gun.
very nice stock work, nice wood, great dimensions.

Look that Marlin S grip, the shadow line cheek piece, Neidner steel buttplate.

About the only thing missing is a cartridge trap and an inletted swivel base in the butt.
What's not to like?

But if you scroll down, you will find that this is sort of putting lipstick on a pig. but in a tasteful way.

so scroll down and look at what it is.

I have no idea who did the stock work. I am trying to track down who stocked this gun. If anyone out there knows, please PM me. Can anyoe blame me for not passing this up?
This is going to be my new Carpenter Bee gun!
Posted By: pod Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 01:37 AM
so?????
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 02:05 AM
I believe that lower bbl should be 10.4x76 unless its actually a tad bit short chambered. It could of course be listed as 67.49/76.
I believe gauge size is the more common method of marking a smooth bore.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 02:34 AM
He he he
It is a first model 24 savage in
22LR and 410 Shotgun
he he he
Mike

p.s. have you looked under the butt plate for info?
Posted By: Brian Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 02:44 AM
not yet
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 03:35 AM
That is my dream gun. I've been looking for the right one for some time. Nice find, I hope you get some time afield with it.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishnfowler
That is my dream gun. I've been looking for the right one for some time. Nice find, I hope you get some time afield with it.

A model 24 is pretty crude, but, I guess we all 'gotta have dreams. It strikes me as a 3/4 scale cape gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: Can you identify - 02/09/14 03:15 PM
I believe I have seen that fine gun offered for sale at a side by side event in the not too distant past. I was close to biting the bullet, but the price was a bit over the top. Great gun.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/09/14 03:32 PM
Brian,
In my 410 pistol,I use 444 Marlin cases with case polishing media as the shot and wads cut from stryofoam meat trays, for carpenter bees. These loads are great fun and don't harm the bottom side of metal roofs.You have to use a fast powder to get good combustion with the very light "shot". It won't be long until the "bee season" opens again.I don't see any reason not to use a nicely stocked bee gun.
Mike
Posted By: Hoof Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/09/14 04:19 PM
That is a perfect squirrel rig.
CHAZ
Posted By: Researcher Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/09/14 05:06 PM
What is the company name on the receiver? From 1940 to 1946, that was the J. Stevens Arms Co. No. 22-410 with the Tenite stock and forearm. After WW-II Savage Arms Corp. consolidated their firearms operations at their old Stevens factories in Chicopee Falls. In the 1947 Savage/Stevens/Fox/Springfield catalogue the gun was still the Stevens No. 22-410. In the 1948 and 1949 Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogues the gun was the Stevens Model 22-410, still with the Tenite stock. I don't have the 1950 Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogue, but by 1951, the gun was stocked in American Walnut and called the Savage Model 24.

Beautiful work. kind of smacks of Leonard Mews to my eyes.
Posted By: Brian Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/09/14 07:04 PM
Researcher,
It is marked SAVAGE Model 24
Posted By: Marshfellow1 Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 01:17 AM
Brian,

Stand by....... you were supposed to remind me.

tjw
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 01:21 AM
Bill McGuire?
Posted By: Kutter Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 03:02 AM
A lot of potential there for some custom metal work to be done.
I like it. ,,but don't know who's work it may be.

Kind of the same idea as using a Savage 219 as the late John Madole did here.
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufactu...T%20RIFLE..html

Posted By: Remington40x Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 03:08 AM
If Savage would reintroduce the 219 looking like Mr. Madole's, I know I'd be willing to buy one. I wish I'd had the foresight to upgrade the one I owned in that fashion.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 03:49 AM
Try a couple of the Winchester 000 .410 buckshot loads in that and a few slugs, just to see where it throws them (mine shoots the slugs right near the .22 WRM sight, just at 30 yards instead of 100). You never know when a rogue bull bee will turn on ya!

Actually I'm surprised that stock doesn't ATTRACT carpenter bees. It sure got my attention!
Posted By: Brian Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 01:36 PM
Marshfellow
don't forget.........
Posted By: Brian Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Kutter
A lot of potential there for some custom metal work to be done.
I like it. ,,but don't know who's work it may be.

Kind of the same idea as using a Savage 219 as the late John Madole did here.
http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufactu...T%20RIFLE..html

That is a beautiful rifle.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 05:36 PM
When I was in High School, I wanted one of these, until I picked one up at a gun store---too heavy!! Could never figure out why it was made so heavy. Nice stock work. Makes my eyes cross to look at the checkering.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Can you identify- photos just added - 02/11/14 05:53 PM
I agree that somebody should make an upgraded Savage 219/220.

Why would it cost more than a TC Contender does? I love Contenders but even the nicest are as ugly as a bucket of ________ (you fill in the blank).

The Rossi and H&R/NEF switch barrels are downright crude compared to the 219, 219A, and 219B. They are more of the level of the latest 219Ls.

Can't even come CLOSE to affording a Luxus, which is the next nearest thing to the 219 that's "Made in USA."
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com