doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: WBLDon Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 02:12 AM
I recently lucked into a couple of Collath's, actually one is a Techco (Teschner-Collath) at the last gun show. One is a SXS 16ga and the other is a Combination gun with 16ga/9.3x72r.

Anyhow both have pistol grip stocks and the horn cap looks somewhat dry as do the trigger guards which are also horn. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can put on them to recondition them???

Thanks in advance for the help..

WBLDon
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 04:26 AM
I'd try a Q tip with perhaps a wee bit of wax, or some kind of veg or animal oil or grease ,nothing petroleum .That would darken & shine it a bit.
But wait till you hear from someone who knows , I'm just guessing,
cheers
franc
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 04:34 AM
I got this from Abbey Horn, an English Co who make stuff out of horn..."From time to time your hornware will benefit from a little extra care. Using a soft cloth sprinkled with a little vegetable oil wipe over the item in the direction of the grain. Buff using a soft lint-free cloth – this will restore the lustre and preserve the natural beauty of the horn."..looks like I was right about the veg oil
franc
franc
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 02:06 PM
Thanks Franc, Veg Oil it is....

WBLDon
Posted By: damascus Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 03:57 PM
Hi all I know it is late to add to this post but I will post some information I was given by a conservator some time back that was working on some horn jewellery in one of our Brit Museums. They used top quality Australian Tea Tree Oil because it is antifungal antibiotic and it is a vegetable oil so a good all rounder. Food for thought!
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 09:29 PM
Damascus,

Thanks for the heads up. I picked some up today and will give it a try...

Sincerely,
WBLDon
Posted By: Lucky1 Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/01/14 11:22 PM
Is there a way to protect from the little bugs that eat their way into the horn butt plate etc?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/02/14 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Lucky1
Is there a way to protect from the little bugs that eat their way into the horn butt plate etc?

I suspect the tea tree oil recommended would do that very well.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/02/14 06:51 AM
WBLDon,

I note you live in Minnesota in the USA. Depending where in the world you live, what eats your horn may well differ from what eats someone else's horn in a different place in the USA or elsewhere in the world. Your best guide as to what insect(s) is/are infecting or are likely to infect your horn, is to contact your local Natural History Museum and speak to either their resident Taxidermist or Conservator. They will be able advise you what to use to keep your local critters at bay. There are a large number of insect species that attack horn including various species of Micro-Lepidoptera (small moths)to Coleoptera (small beetles)and just about everything in between. Local knowledge is always best.

Good luck,

Harry.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/02/14 01:58 PM
Harry,

Thanks for the note. Here in Minnesota (this year the land of the never ending winter) I have never had a problem with bugs eating the horn. It only gets dry and cracks, I am assuming due to the extremely dry weather in the winter which even cause the wood stocks to shrink at times.

Anyhow thanks for the input. Now if we could just get out of this "eternal winter" mode, they are talking another 4-9 inches over the next few days...

Cheers,
WBLDon
Posted By: Lucky1 Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/03/14 01:42 AM
I appreciate the advice on the insect treatment & possible culprits.
Thanks, guys.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/06/14 09:39 PM
And just where does an American boy find some "top quality Australian Tea Tree Oil"?
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/06/14 09:47 PM
I was able to get it at a pet shop. It is also used as a skin treatment for dogs. Stuff does have a pungent and unique odor!
Posted By: gil russell Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/06/14 11:27 PM
And be sure to take good care of that Hornware!
Posted By: damascus Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/07/14 10:20 AM
Hi I did notice on one posting where do I obtain Tea Tree Oil? Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia) is available here in Pharmacists your side of the pond Drug Stores may be?
It has been used as a topical treatment by the indigenous people of Australia for many thousands of years but it is only in the last thirty years that is has been accepted here for use on people I wonder why!!!
Any way it works exceedingly well and don’t tell the teenagers it is great for coping with Acne when they reach that time of life, we old folks want to keep it for our selves for minor skin problems. Though it does sting like Iodine in cuts so it must be doing you some good well that what I was told by my Mother when I was a child. Oh! The smell is distinctive but not in any way obnoxious.
Posted By: baydog Re: Conditioning Horn... - 04/07/14 03:06 PM
I found some in Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section where they sell the different types of vitamins,probably can be found in any of the other chain pharmacy's, cost was about $8.00 a bottle. I just finished apply some to an old "dog calling horn" made from cow horn.I know it is not from the water buffalo, but I would think it would be pretty close if not identical. I also have an old powder horn I may apply it too. I found if you rub it in with your hands the heat generated will help it soak in.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com