doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sxsman1 New Dickinson SXS - 04/15/14 03:58 PM
Has anyone shot the new Turkish made Dickinson SXS?
I have heard good things about it, but the trigger pull was reported to be very heavy. How heavy is it?

Pete
Posted By: sxsman1 Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 04:26 PM
Sorry, You are right it is Dickinson.

Pete
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 04:58 PM
I can't shoot mine because of the heavy trigger pull. I had my local gunsmith work on it and he got the right trigger eased up enough to use but the left is still so heavy I cannot follow the target and get a shot off. Gunsmith said there's no room to work on the trigger parts?...Geo
Posted By: redoak Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 05:13 PM
There was an extensive thread on them here some time past.

As I recall, the general consensus was that they seem to be nicely very made guns, with the exception of some (but not all) w/heavy trigger pulls.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 06:00 PM
How similar is the Dickinson action to the new Beretta 486? I have not seen the internals of the Dickinson, but have taken apart the 486 and note that they gave it a compound two piece sear, presumably to enhance the trigger leverage and achieve good trigger pulls.
Posted By: Garbi Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 09:00 PM
I just bought a double trigger model. It's heavier than most of my guns but I don't notice it when shooting so I guess it's not an issue. Unfortunately I don't have a trigger pull gauge.
Posted By: gjw Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/15/14 11:11 PM
Hi,I use a 16ga ST Dickinson for winter hunting, they are very nice guns for the $$$. The trigger pulls are heavy however.

Mark Dehaan will work on Dickinson triggers to lighten them up. He knows the ins and outs of Turk guns. Give him a call and he'll be able to help you out:

http://www.dhshotguns.com/

If you want more user info, go to Shotgun World Under the following and you'll find plenty of info:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=137&sid=aa52c7f7d89d7725db2a31991fbcaa10

and

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=247&sid=aa52c7f7d89d7725db2a31991fbcaa10

Good Luck!

Greg
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/16/14 12:14 AM

I bought a 12 gauge Dickinson several months ago, at Cabela's, and have been very pleased with it. Trigger pulls are "normal".

Would like to know if anyone makes choke tubes to fit these shotguns?

JERRY
Posted By: PA24 Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/16/14 01:09 AM

sxsman:

I think this thread link below answers almost any question that has ever been asked about the Akus Dickinson and Akus Smith and Wesson shotguns, including multiple pictures, schematics of the action and trigger plate mechanisms.......read all eleven (11) pages if you really want to know.

Most of the trigger complaints relate directly to the single trigger guns and the single trigger mechanisms and not the double trigger guns......

My triggers are just fine, mine are all double trigger guns.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=303496&page=1

Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/16/14 04:30 AM
PA24 thanks for the pics and diagrams.

Interesting adaptation of a boxlock forging to a trigger plate form. It is the first trigger plate action I see with a full and removable bottom cover. Presumably machining was facilitated by access from below, and also cost less than a traditional boxlock with a split bottom cover. On the other hand the hollowed out bar is no stronger than a boxlock bar.

Puzzling that gunsmiths find less room to manouver and adjust trigger pulls in this action than in the usual boxlock. Makes you wonder how they are going about it.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/16/14 12:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PA24

sxsman:

I think this thread link below answers almost any question that has ever been asked about the Akus Dickinson and Akus Smith and Wesson shotguns, including multiple pictures, schematics of the action and trigger plate mechanisms.......read all eleven (11) pages if you really want to know.

Most of the trigger complaints relate directly to the single trigger guns and the single trigger mechanisms and not the double trigger guns......

My triggers are just fine, mine are all double trigger guns.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=303496&page=1

Triggers were 8+ (off the scale of my gauge) on the double trigger Dickinson 20ga I borrowed from Cabela's for a field test and review. I thought, like the S&W's I'd tried out previously, that it was a well-made gun for the money--other than the triggers. The first S&W I tested had a single trigger that was very heavy. The second one was DT and it was fine. When I returned the Dickinson 20 to Cabela's, I checked the other two that store had in inventory. Both DT guns, both also heavy--although I did not have my gauge with me. Recently visited another Cabela's, tried a Dickinson 20 with DT, and that one felt pretty good. So I'd say hit or miss, DT or not. Try before you buy. Heavy triggers may not bother some people as much as others. But if you can hang a gun by the trigger, safety off, and the hammer doesn't drop . . . that's heavy. Trigger pull weight should not exceed the weight of the gun. Seems to be a recurring problem on Turkish guns. Not all of them, but enough that I wouldn't order one sight unseen.
Posted By: PA24 Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Triggers were 8+ (off the scale of my gauge) on the double trigger Dickinson 20ga I borrowed from Cabela's for a field test and review. I thought, like the S&W's I'd tried out previously, that it was a well-made gun for the money--other than the triggers. The first S&W I tested had a single trigger that was very heavy. The second one was DT and it was fine. When I returned the Dickinson 20 to Cabela's, I checked the other two that store had in inventory. Both DT guns, both also heavy--although I did not have my gauge with me. Recently visited another Cabela's, tried a Dickinson 20 with DT, and that one felt pretty good. So I'd say hit or miss, DT or not. Try before you buy. Heavy triggers may not bother some people as much as others. But if you can hang a gun by the trigger, safety off, and the hammer doesn't drop . . . that's heavy. Trigger pull weight should not exceed the weight of the gun. Seems to be a recurring problem on Turkish guns. Not all of them, but enough that I wouldn't order one sight unseen.

The Motor Mouth Speaks again....LOL......Motor Mouth said the same thing over and over again in his eleven (11) posts on the thread I linked to on page one about Akus Dickinsons and Akus Smith and Wesson Gold Elites............and that was ONE AND ONE HALF YEARS AGO.....ROFLMAO......he loves to repeat himself...........

Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 11:46 AM
You have anything of substance to contribute, Doug . . . or just more of the usual BS?

Something I find really funny: Gun writers usually take a hit because, after all, everyone KNOWS we're in cahoots with the gunmakers, and all we do in our articles is pimp for them. Then someone like me, or Bruce Buck (who also made reference to the heavy trigger pulls on some of the early S&W sxs) tells it like it is. Then what happens? The guys who've bought those guns get all defensive . . . like there's nothing to the heavy trigger pull stuff. Well, my gauge doesn't lie. Have you put a gauge on yours, Doug? Put a gauge on other DT Dickinsons out there? The fact that MOST of the trigger complaints may relate to the ST guns doesn't do much to help the poor guy who buys a DT gun with 8 pound plus pulls, does it? And since I found 3 out of 3 (ALL DT and ALL with heavy pulls) at just one Cabela's store, I doubt that I found all of them.

You ought to be permanently relegated to misfires. A misfire is what happens when you go off half-cocked . . . which probably has more than one meaning in your case.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 12:12 PM

You ought to be permanently relegated to misfires. A misfire is what happens when you go off half-cocked . . . which probably has more than one meaning in your case.

Do you build guns Larry? Doug does. He rebuilt three of them for me to a state of perfection. When it comes to my locks, stocks, and barrels I'll listen to the man who builds them rather than a gun writer. After Elmer Keith and Jack O'Conner died there is no such thing as a gun writer. Anyone who tries to fill their boots is just pissing in the wind.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 12:27 PM
I could care less what Doug builds or doesn't build, JRB. Trigger pull is trigger pull, and you don't need to build guns to measure it. All you need is a gauge; maybe not even that. I go by what my gauge tells me. Or, if I don't have it with me, put in snap caps, take the safety off, hang the gun from my finger on the trigger. If the hammer doesn't drop without bouncing the gun, that's obviously too heavy.

By the way, re gun writers where shotguns are concerned: Jack O'Connor stated in "The Shotgun Book" that LC Smith didn't make any .410's. Jack was around back when Elsies were still being made, so that's a mistake he really shouldn't have made. But goes to show we ALL make them--even dead heroes.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 12:32 PM
Do you build guns Larry?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 01:11 PM
Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Do you build guns Larry?

Nope. Do I need to build guns in order to read a trigger pull gauge?

Looked back at what I wrote previously about the Dickinson. I was a pound or so off. Triggers were both between 7-8, by my gauge, on the gun I borrowed from Cabela's, which weighed less than 6 1/2. Gave the other 2 they had in inventory the "finger" test--and the hammers didn't break when I dangled them from my finger with the safety off. So, pulls heavier than gun weight on 3 out of 3 at that particular Gun Library, all DT guns.

I'd note that in my review of the Dickinson, everything except the triggers (and the choke tube tool they provide, which others have also mentioned) was very positive. You get one with good triggers, or find a gunsmith who will adjust them to your satisfaction, I'd say a Dickinson is a good buy. I've found enough trigger pull issues with Turkish guns, across the board--Huglu, CZ, S&W, Dickinson--that it's my recommendation to potential buyers to get the gun in their hands and try the triggers before they buy. You think that's unreasonable, JRB? And if you think I'm the only person who's found heavy triggers on Dickinsons, you need to reread this thread.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 01:46 PM
Do you build guns Larry?

Just makes me wonder why modern day gun writers parrot what the builders and smiths say. That's why I read and listen to the guy in the trench doing the dirty work. Relegate Doug to the misfires???? You must be dreaming.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 03:35 PM
JRB,

Some of us modern shotgun writers not only are not content to parrot what the makers say, but have put in many manhours on the bench learning to file flat and make intricate parts, design and prototype new action types and refurbish old shotguns.

However, not many of the reading public give a damn about the workings of shotguns. In a post above I mentioned the machining approach taken by AKUS in forming their action (subject of this thread). The round bar, the trigger plate action, in conjunction with the name Dickinson is an obvious allusion to a classic double gun action. No one noticed what is politely stated and a warning to the consumer in my post.

Ironically one of the features of the original round action were excellent trigger pulls! The whys and wherefores have been well documented by gunwriters, but not many noticed.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 06:32 PM
Do you build guns Larry?

Just makes me wonder why modern day gun writers parrot what the builders and smiths say. That's why I read and listen to the guy in the trench doing the dirty work. Relegate Doug to the misfires???? You must be dreaming.

Who's parroting what anyone says, JRB? I had the gun in my hands. Put in snap caps, tested it with a trigger pull gauge. That's called an "objective measurement". If I have a gun built for me by "the guy in the trench doing the dirty work", I'm darned well going to specify trigger pulls in terms of weight. I'd fully expect him to measure them with a gauge. Not going to trust a "guy in the trench" who tells me that they're "fine" without giving me pull weights.

And I'd note that in a fairly short, 2 page thread, 3 other posters also refer to heavy trigger pulls--in one case so heavy it doesn't work for him. Are they also disqualified from expressing their experiences, just because they don't build guns? Guess somebody needs to tell Dave that he should change the name of his website to doublegunbuilder.com . . . no others need comment.
Posted By: PA24 Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 08:47 PM

J.R.B.,

I know you are a master machinist and you have your own large machine shop and talk with intelligent customers every day. I have seen your work and it is impeccable to say the least.

You are wasting your breath when you address Motor Mouth L. Brown. He always has to have the last word as Stan and many others have noted on this board and other boards....his posts have little substance and just ramble on and on relating b.s. that he has read or heard from someone else.

Look at it this way J.R., as an example, to engage in conversation with this motor mouth is like trying to talk about cars/trucks or hot rods with someone who doesn't even know how to change a flat tire..............end of story.

Posted By: mc Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 09:08 PM
wow PA24 all this because larry knows how to check a trigger pull?and from what i have read these guns have heavy trigger pulls not all but most.this is why we lose good contributors to this site.larry was contributing his findings from checking trigger pull on these gun in particular.also he stated the trigger pull, and stated if the guns weight didn't fire the gun the trigger is to heavy.i think this is substance.mc
Posted By: Buzz Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 09:54 PM
It's too bad what could have been an interesting thread had to turn into this ridiculously uninteresting.. .....whatever it is.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New Dickson SXS - 04/17/14 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PA24

J.R.B.,

I know you are a master machinist and you have your own large machine shop and talk with intelligent customers every day. I have seen your work and it is impeccable to say the least.

You are wasting your breath when you address Motor Mouth L. Brown. He always has to have the last word as Stan and many others have noted on this board and other boards....his posts have little substance and just ramble on and on relating b.s. that he has read or heard from someone else.

Look at it this way J.R., as an example, to engage in conversation with this motor mouth is like trying to talk about cars/trucks or hot rods with someone who doesn't even know how to change a flat tire..............end of story.

So Doug . . . if you're a famous gun builder, then surely you can give us a more OBJECTIVE definition--as in an actual, measured trigger pull--for those Dickinson triggers you very SUBJECTIVELY define as "fine". Or don't you have a trigger pull gauge? Time to put up and contribute something of real substance to a discussion of Turkish triggers.

By the way . . . I spent my HS and college years working in a REAL service station. Change a flat tire? I repaired hundreds of them. Not that that makes me a "car builder" . . .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com