doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Search for old stock repair thread - 04/19/14 05:05 AM
I need to find the threads describing repair of stocks with the milled in slot and plywood fillet. Also the grain painting thread. I have used the search function but no luck so far. If you know where these threads are I would really appreciated finding them.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/19/14 11:28 AM
This isn't a thread, but a slideshow found on the PGCA site. It's where I got a lot of my info from. Some of the pics show the fillet method for repairing broken wrists. I'm using a similar method on a Parker PH right now. (on the same gun, the stock head was in six pieces as well) The tang pin had been broken, so I had to go in through the through the trigger guard inlet, Dremel out enough wood to shape the end of the broken pin so I could grip it with a thin set of needle nose pliers to remove it. (about half-way down through the wrist) Since it was right at the thinnest part of the wrist, I'm cutting thin slots on each side of the hole in order to fit a hand shaped walnut fillet in, to both strengthen the wrist and provie good wood to drill the pin hole through. It will be invisible when done, all the work is under the trigger guard.

Here's the slideshow.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/15127852
Ken
Posted By: Doverham Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/21/14 01:03 AM
Jerry - did you see Steven Dodd Hughes' article in the current SSM? He gives a very thorough discussion (with pics) of this procedure.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/21/14 03:28 AM
Doverham, Thanks for the reminder. Had the magazine laying right behind me the whole time!
So does anybody know how to find the threads Jerry was refering to?
I would be interested in them also.
Posted By: Emmett Boylan Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/23/14 03:42 AM
I don't know what particular threads Mr. Lape wanted, but searching for "fillet" got me the same link that Ken61 provided and that Drew House had provided in the past. I then searched for "painting". That gave me several posts relating to to painting stocks as well as several posts referring to a Mr. Larson. Searching for "Larson" got me many examples of his work, which is pretty awesome, and a link to his website.
Posted By: docbill Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/23/14 10:44 PM
If you have a copy of David Trevellian- Michael McIntosh's book, it has a discussion of doing the wrist fillet splint under the trigger guard method.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Search for old stock repair thread - 04/24/14 02:33 AM
Any chance you could post some pictures of your Jig? I'd like to see it.
Thanks
Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com