doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: welder Browning Laminated steel barrels - 04/23/14 01:30 PM
I picked up a beater of a Wm. Moore 10 ga. to practice on. Does anyone have thoughts on the 'optimum' humidity and temperature for browning the barrels using Laurel Mtn. solution?

Thanks for your help!
If you are going to do the barrels soon, the temperature and humidity is too low unless you have a rusting box with a lamp. The lowest temperature I would think would be in the 70's and as far as humidity, I like 80% up. I usually put a small pan of hot water in a covered rusting box with a 60 watt light bulb to bring the humidity up. A small humidity gage from a hardware store, Lowe's etc. is always nice to have.
Just read the instructions and follow carefully. I haven't tried any other and like their results.
Posted By: welder Re: Browning Laminated steel barrels - 04/23/14 03:12 PM
Thanks, David. we have an electrical enclosure and put a light in it and a fondue pot set on very low. Reads 85-90% on the humidity gauge. Ready to give it a try.

One of the cool things about this gun is once I got the 'black' gunk off the stock, below was some beautiful figure in the walnut! I did have to peel off 3 wire bands, 50-80 year old friction tape and replace a brass strap holding the cracked stock together with an inlay though. The project does keep one out of taverns, however, which I suppose is a good thing!
Posted By: Stallones Re: Browning Laminated steel barrels - 04/23/14 06:50 PM
If you have not started, I would use the Lee Browning Soln instead of the Laurel Mtn. Much better colors and easier. Laurel Mtn has too much Copper Sulfate in it and you get a lot of discoloring during the process.
RX
I agree with JDW on the temp etc.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com