doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doverham Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/12/14 02:44 PM
My understanding is that Fed-Ex and USPS will not ship ammo, so UPS is the only option for ORM-D packages. I recently set up a UPS account so I could ship reloads for testing occasionally. I just got a $41 bill for a monthly service fee and when I called UPS, I was told that they require all ORM-D shippers to pay a local pickup fee of $10/week as a condition of service. When I pointed out that I did not need a pickup service and that charging me $500/yr in service fees so that I could ship an occassional $14 package seemed incredibly unreasonable mad, I was told that thems the rules for shipping ORM-D.

Has anyone else run into this, or have suggestions for another approach to shipping ORM-D?

Thanks in advance, Doverham
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/12/14 03:15 PM
I don't think there are any special charges if you deliver the package to the terminal versus have UPS pick it up. I do know that package shipping services will not accept ORM-D packages for shipment.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/12/14 05:55 PM
Drop it off to the ups terminal. Having an account is not required but it does help. I have a ups account but do not call for pickup of ammo. Too many issues if the driver does not know the rules. I use the same lady at the ups terminal and I did have to educate her slightly. Her supervisor confirmed the package was properly marked and we dotted the I s and crossed the t s. Now it takes just an extra minute to confirm it is all right.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/13/14 01:22 AM
There are no special charges if you take it to a UPS hub/terminal. I just shipped ORM-D with cartridges for testing one week ago today - $13.61 for the shipping charge.

The only "issue" I ran into is that I had placed the new diamond shaped symbol that appears on the newer shotshell flats on my package - it's usable now and required by 2020 (required now for international shipments). The woman at the counter said that I still needed an "ORM-D" "cartridges-small arms" label, she then reached under the counter pulled out one that was pre-printed and taped it on. Shipping cartridges was old hat to her.
Posted By: Cobbhead Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/13/14 11:48 AM
I use one of the local "pack and ship" stores to ship ammo via UPS. Located in a neighborhood mall, much simpler than driving all the way across town to the UPS hub. First shipment took a little "training" of the staff, but now they recognize me and know the drill. It does cost a few $ more, but I save that much or more in fuel. I clip ORM-D labels off old shotgun flat cartons and tape them to the package.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/13/14 06:06 PM
I ship ammo thru UPS occasionally and have found them the only reliable way to do so in my area. There must be others in the LA Slurb, but I haven't found them. The people at the UPS Customer Service Center which I use are well up on shipping arms and ammo, including all the CA-specific issues.

UPS's contractors ("UPS Stores") are worse than useless--any mention of guns or ammo in our local one has the kid's hand hovering over the 911 speed dial....
Posted By: Doverham Re: Shipping UPS ORM-D - 05/13/14 09:16 PM
Thanks for the input. Similar to shipping guns, UPS is not always consistent with how they go about things, I guess. I was told that ammo could only be shipped from a service center, but that the service centers cannot provide shipping or ORM-D labels. Several local pack 'n ship stores told me that they could not issue a shipping label for ORM-D packages -that could only be done online through an account.

Based on my gun shipping experiences, I vastly prefer Fed-Ex - but I guess that is not an option.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com