doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M What became of Ross Seyfried? - 05/20/14 08:10 PM
Whatever became of Ross Seyfried who used to be a regular contributor to the gun mags back in the 80's? He wrote one of the 1st articles I ever read that was favorable regarding shooting damascus barreled guns. I believe he's still a contributor to the double gun journal but I don't remember seeing him in print recently elsewhere.
Jim
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/20/14 08:43 PM
Ross wrote for Guns And Ammo quite a bit shortly after Elmer Keith retired. I enjoyed reading Ross's articles. Two that stand out to me from G&A were his trip to Australia with pistols to shoot feral animals and the other was the development of the .585 Nyati.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/20/14 09:17 PM
Now he is the major writer in the DGJ.
Posted By: Bill/Oregon Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/20/14 09:41 PM
He also wrote some wonderful stuff for the long-gone Blackpowder Hunting Magazine (along with the great Don Kettelkamp) and briefly for Wolfe. He is my favorite gun writer. He brings so much passion to his words.
Posted By: Maxm Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/21/14 07:03 PM
I remember well the G&A articles, and I like every one written by Seyfried for DGJ. I think that He is one of the best and knowdledgeable living gunwriters.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/21/14 08:44 PM
Guys don't do that to me. I see a name as a title and expect bad news or posting of his passing. How about a title like where is he, what is he doing? That way opening a post would not entail a certain amount of dread.
Posted By: James M Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/21/14 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Guys don't do that to me. I see a name as a title and expect bad news or posting of his passing. How about a title like where is he, what is he doing? That way opening a post would not entail a certain amount of dread.

There! is that better now! grin

My understanding is that Seyfried is a multi-millionaire and therefore never had to work so he was able to devote his time to firearms from early on. Anyone else aware of his background?
Jim
Posted By: Bill/Oregon Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/21/14 10:49 PM
Jim, I know he served with the Rhodesian police back in the days when he was one of the world's best shots with a 1911. He has been a professional hunter in Africa. He also had a ranch here in Oregon -- Elk Song Ranch near La Grande -- but heard he may have sold it. I corresponded with him a couple of times, once when having a Ruger No. 1 in .458 rebored to .450 NE after reading one of his enthusiastic articles, and once when arranging to send him an old Steyr Model 95 bolt action. Very nice gentleman, who replied by mail both times.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 12:54 AM
His best article, IMO, was entitled RIGBY'S LAST ROOSTER, in which he related the last days of his Lab, named Rigby. As I recall, he chose carefully the shotgun that he would use to shoot the last rooster pheasant that Rigby would ever flush for him. Rigby was much advanced in years and was nearing the end. He took him out for one last hunt, and regaled it in the article. I go back and reread it every few years. It is very, very good.

Seyfried is in the top three of my favorites of all time writers.

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 01:17 AM
Thanks for the title alteration. It just seems like once a week I find another passing of someone I knew, like or enjoyed. Funny how the nasty buggers, who should die, never seem to. Every one here, with just a few exceptions, is not covered by that drop dead request. wink
Posted By: Stallones Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 02:25 AM
He was was responsible for my beginning to shoot Damascus because of his 1990 article in Guns And Ammo Discussing low pressure loads etc
Posted By: docbill Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 12:23 PM
He grew up somewhere east of Ft. Collins, Colo and went to collage at Colo St. He sold Elk Song ranch because of family squabbles over estate settlement. He now lives in Oklahoma somewhere.
Posted By: James M Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Stallones
He was was responsible for my beginning to shoot Damascus because of his 1990 article in Guns And Ammo Discussing low pressure loads etc

I believe it was that very article that began to change my attitude towards damascus guns.
Jim
Posted By: gil russell Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 02:11 PM
I met Ross at the Tulsa show a year ago. I had some stuff I figured he might be interested in. A true gentleman and everything you would hope to find in a fellow gun nut. VERY knowledgeable and absolutely willing to share his knowledge. I hope our paths will cross again soon.
Posted By: craigd Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/22/14 03:11 PM
I can recall his G&A review of the start up magazine DGJ got me to subscribe back in the middle of volume 2. I noticed the same style of interesting sensory triggering on a recent book review, but was a bit disappointed when he criticized another author in the same review for noncontent/quality points. I like his writings though.
Posted By: bonny Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/23/14 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

There! is that better now! grin

My understanding is that Seyfried is a multi-millionaire and therefore never had to work so he was able to devote his time to firearms from early on. Anyone else aware of his background?
Jim

Some guys are just born lucky i suppose.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/23/14 02:31 PM
I always thoroughly enjoyed his articles, he can , on occasion, get a little flowery with his words, but you can tell that he's a deep down Vintage gun lover.
I remember a nice one he did in DGJ about the real,old Rigby's.
The last line was something like since the real Rigby's have gone.."There will be no more!"
Seemed like definite knock to the new American Rigby's...& I'd have to agree with that comment.
I find them rather hideous & garish
Also did a nice one on the Jones under leaver, one of my favorite actions.
franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com