doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GaryO Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 05:00 PM
I have a Citori that has stubborn tubes installed. I am hesitant to apply too much force to remove those older standard Invector tubes. What say you? Thanks...
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 05:49 PM
The problem isn't the net force, it's how to apply it without busting your wrench, rounding off the corners of the tube slots, or making yourself bleed.

The Brownell's 'stuck choke remover' works in all but the worst cases.

Even then, judicious application of a heat gun usually will break it free.

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 07:49 PM
Try cold first, if that does not work then heat. The soak in good penetrating oil. Most will come out with one or the other treatments
Posted By: mark Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 08:39 PM
I had some luck rapid firing the gun till the barrels get hot then removing.
Posted By: smlekid Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 10:22 PM
try pouring boiling water over the barrel it will get it warm without hurting anything
Posted By: Boats Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/23/14 10:36 PM
Kroll. Then heat from a heat gun. Anti Size on tubes always , cheap insurance.

Boats
Posted By: GaryO Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/24/14 12:53 AM
OK. Thanks for your help. I'm out...
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/24/14 11:32 PM
I use Permatex Anti-seize lubricant #133A. It’s made for sparkplugs but I use it for choke tubes, percussion nipples, and also the breach plug on my great granddads Springfield musket. Almost any auto parts store has it, it’s inexpensive and I’ve never known it to fail on gun parts or on sparkplugs, even sparkplugs that’ve been in the car for 60,000 miles unscrew readily. It's never failed on choke tubes.
Posted By: Crowley Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/25/14 01:16 AM
I have used Hoppes #9 in a ceramic cup. Upend the bbls and let them stand in the cup for a few days. It did no harm to the bbls
or the bluing.
danc
Posted By: nhcrowshooter Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/28/14 11:05 AM
I am hoping you have been able to remove the tube by now. Here is the simplest trick that I have found effective on more than one occasion.

It is natural to hold the barrel and apply force to the choke tube wrench. Instead of doint that, put the choke the tube wrench in a a vise, then push the barrel against the wrench and turn the barrel to loosen the choke tube. Far more force can be applied via leverage this way.
Posted By: ed good Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/28/14 04:30 PM
drink a quart of pomegranate juice...wait one hour...then, pee on barrel...heat with torch, until pee sizzles...let cool and then try to remove tube...worse case tube will remain frozen, but barrel should now exhibit rainbow like faux case colors...
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Stuck choke tubes? - 05/28/14 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
drink a quart of pomegranate juice...wait one hour...then, pee on barrel...heat with torch, until pee sizzles...let cool and then try to remove tube...worse case tube will remain frozen, but barrel should now exhibit rainbow like faux case colors...

giving up trade secrets now??
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com