doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sidekick My first Parker... - 07/06/14 01:16 AM
I just picked up a well used Parker VH 12 gauge made in 1904. Any advice for loads? I already have my MEC set up for low pressure loads for my Sterlingworth and NID so I assume that's probably what will be best for the Parker too? Are there any common problems or things that I need to be aware of with this model? I've always gotten good advice here about my other double purchases and happily I have another one that calls my safe home. smile
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 01:34 AM
Assuming it has double triggers and is an extractor gun you will find it to be about bulletproof. None better. Probably has fluid steel barrels too. What is the frame size? You'll find a number on the bottom of the back lug denoting the size. It'll probable be a 1 1/2 or 2 frame. One frame 12's are somewhat uncommon though I have two. If it hasn't been altered it will have 2 5/8" chambers and 2 3/4" ammunition was recommended by Parker. While it will handle most any off the shelf ammo it is wise to keep pressures down similar to what you're feeding the Fox. Just being kind to a 110 year old gun, besides you don't gain anything with high pressures.

Good shooting!
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 01:34 AM
nice find - one of my favorite grouse guns is a 16ga 1904 VH

what is the frame size (marked on a barrel lug) and the barrel length?

if you give the serial number we may be able to confirm the original configuration. a visit to the Parker Collector Board will tell you if any factory records exist.

how are the barrels? any pitting? is the gun on face?

check the chambers, they may not be 2 3/4

if any thing rates as a common problem - the head of the stock sometimes splits on a Parker (but a small percentage)- I suspect, but cannot prove, a combination of heavy loads and oil damage, this can be neatly repaired leaving little evidence, although the normal approach is simply a bolt through the head.
Posted By: Sidekick Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 02:23 AM
Yes it has double triggers and extractors. It is a #2 frame size and has 30" 'Vulcan Steel' barrels. Everything seems to be tight and as it should be and surprisingly there are no cracks in the stock anywhere. #129358 and all numbers match so it's not a Frankenstein gun. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 03:14 AM
129358 does list as a 12ga 30' barrel gun with a capped pistol grip stock and no extras such as ejectors. A #2 frame 30 makes a nice pheasant or lighter duck gun, enjoy

according to the Parker site there are surviving factory records for a letter on your gun. Although for a VH grade the information is generally limited to things like when and to what store/dealer it was shipped.
Posted By: Sidekick Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 04:23 AM
Thanks for the information. I had no idea that there were records available. I guess I'll have to fire up the MEC this week!
Posted By: wyobirds Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 02:22 PM
I'm assuming that your Parker is chambered for 2 1/2" shells, choked tight and tighter and that's great if it works for you. Rocky Mountain Cartridge will make you lathe turned all brass hulls, specifically for your chamber size. Below is how I helped a friend open up his very tight patterns.
A friend bought a 1917 Parker VH in 16 GA and after measuring chokes determined that the gun was a tight mod and a tight full. Patterning with modern ammunition verified that the gun's chokes were not suitable for the type of bird hunting that he did. I have had great success with all brass shells and my friend decided to buy a minimum order of 10. We tried the following using shot with little or no antimony: Osc cards cut half way through and slid into each other forming a +. This worked well. Then we tried inserting a straw in the middle of the shot and this was not effective in either of the Parker’s barrels. Then we placed 3 ea. osc cards to divide the shot vertically into 4ths.
This method worked, but not quite as consistent as the + method. We only shot 10 shots per each barrel, but felt that each spreader configuration was tested to give us an idea of spread effectiveness.
My best patterning loads are those assembled the old way with card and fiber wads, so we tried the same loads that I use except in a 2 1/2" hull.
I'm happy to report that the the gun opened up to a mid range mod and a tight mod, very close to full choke. Bottom line: if your chokes are too tight for your hunting applications, you can buy commercial spreader wads or try some of the above ways to open up your patterns.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 04:21 PM
These guns were not chambered 2 1/2" but 2 5/8" and WERE INTENDED TO USE LONGER 2 3/4" HULLS. Parker believed the longer hulls opening partially into the forcing cone gave a better gas seal. Look at this original hang tag supplied with the gun.

Also, notice Parker's emphatic caveat to never use nitro in brass hulls.

Posted By: B. Dudley Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 09:13 PM
Providing that your VH's barrel wall thickness is good, it can handle any 2-3/4" load out there.
Lighter loads will mean less pounding on the stock, but your gun was designed for use with 2-3/4" loads.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: My first Parker... - 07/06/14 10:38 PM
They must of been referring to Brass hulls of the day, if not does anyone know why?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: My first Parker... - 07/07/14 01:44 AM
I do not know but will hypothesize that severe pressures were sometimes experienced. Perhaps the solid walls of the case did not cushion pressures and/or maybe the flat internal base of the hull created problems. In drawn hulls the mouth of the primer is well above the hull's base. Internal ballistics absolutely baffle me and weird things happen when any one ingredient is changed.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: My first Parker... - 07/07/14 01:53 AM
Thanks Joe for the information. The loads that have been shot out of the Parker were provided by Tom Armbrust and were low pressure.
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: My first Parker... - 07/07/14 02:18 AM
RST makes great shells for these old guns. I also shoot a 1913 Parker VH and use RST 5's on pheasant and 7.5's on quail and dove. Love the patterns and performance!

http://www.rstshells.com/store/p/102-12-Ga-2-1-2-Lite-Vel-1175-1-oz-Load-Box.aspx
Posted By: 2-piper Re: My first Parker... - 07/07/14 02:40 AM
It may well have just been a general recommendation based upon ignition of the charge. A lot of the early brass shells were designed for black powder & used a relatively mild primer which was adequate for black but not for some smokeless powders. Parker may well have just thought it advisable to recommend not to use smokeless rather than to sort out which ones gave adequate ignition & which ones didn't. Also if the top wad glue job didn't give an adequate pull about equal to opening the crimp of a paper shell you could end up with a squib load using smokeless. With black as long as it kept the shot from rolling out of the hull you were OK.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: My first Parker... - 07/07/14 12:56 PM
2-piper - thanks, it makes sense. In todays market, Mag Tech produces extruded brass hulls and uses large pistol primers. The internal dimensions of Mag Tech hulls are oversized prohibiting the use of modern 1-piece plastic wads. Whereas, 209 primers are standard in RMC hulls, as are gauge specific internal dimensions allowing the use of modern 1-piece plastic wads.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com