doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 03:16 PM
Hi all, ran across this one, I've seen some hard luck cases, but this has to be one of the worst:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=435785814

Best!

Greg
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 06:06 PM
I guarantee you that was found in the water somewhere. Should have been left there.
JR
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 06:51 PM
Instead of coming over on the boat, it appears to have been towed behind it.
Posted By: Roundsworth Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 07:15 PM
The 'Buy It Now' feature allows one to avoid the forthcoming bidding frenzy!
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 07:17 PM
I think he added two too many numbers, should have left off the first two.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 07:23 PM
I'd be very embarrassed to list such a piece of junk for sale.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 08:07 PM
At least he has a pretty good assortment of pictures!
Posted By: GLS Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/17/14 08:17 PM
All it takes is a little work. Replace the action, then the wood, forend metal, and lastly, another barrel. You could probably find all you need on another gun.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 02:04 AM
If the bores were shootable wouldn't it be a hoot to walk up to the line at a fancy shoot with it tucked under your arms and wipe their noses with it! Oh, gotta have bib overalls well worn......
Posted By: Hoof Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 05:01 AM
That thing has had to have been relisted 100 times. I know I would forget about it and pull it up while window shopping every once in a while.
CHAZ
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 11:56 AM
This one is what penny start no reserve auctions are for.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 12:43 PM
Webley and Scott? I don't think so.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 12:57 PM
Greg, the grand prize gun given at the Wade Burns Classic shoot was a nicer gun. This one really should be professionally restored by Burns and Westburg Fine Arms and given at next year's shoot. smile
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 02:02 PM
If it could be purchased cheap enough (such as for parts value) it'd be a fun challenge to make it presentable again. I'm thinking something similar to the Sow's Ear Project I did a few years ago with a Rossi .410 sxs. Unfortunately, I have next to zero disposable income these days or I'd take a run at it, ever the optimist!
http://www.fourten.org.uk/My410RossiSquireProject.pdf

Steve
Posted By: lagopus Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 03:57 PM
For some reason the photograph won't load from the link; I will try again later, so can't comment on this particular gun.

However, I called in at a local gun shop last Wednesday and he showed me a gun that had been dropped in with the request 'can anything be done with this'? Shame was it was Boss hammer ejector! It had been restocked at some time with something that would make a good fence post, the Damascus barrels we pitted and dented and now only measured 17 & 17.5 thou. The action had rust pits too. A back action side lever model. There is a host of work to be done but if it came for nothing it might just be worth re-sleeving and re-stocking and the rest of the work. Also one ejector need attention as it went off each time the gun was opened. I nearly cried! Lagopus.....
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/18/14 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
For some reason the photograph won't load from the link; I will try again later, so can't comment on this particular gun.

You aren't missing anything. One could pick up a NICE Spanish boxlock clone of this for less than the beginning auction price.

John is right, this 400 spent some quality time in the water. I would think parts only also, much better if you got it for free.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 01:00 AM
Such fine stippling!
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 02:47 AM
Well it does have a genuine Browning buttplate! Greg that would be a good prize for the next winner's gun at the shoot. Bobby
Posted By: damascus Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 07:11 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted. Not even a wantable wall hanger. Webley who!!!!
Posted By: lagopus Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 02:19 PM
Goodness Gracious! I got the picture up this time. It does say Model 400 but nothing to do with Webley & Scott. I don't recognise the Proof Marks; if that's what they are. Trying to sell that in Britain would probably get him prosecuted both under the Trades Descriptions Act and the Proof Act. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Roalco Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 02:54 PM
Ah yes, a model 400 from Wobbly and Scrap, the indubitable Darra Adamkhel gunsmiths, well known for their over zealous approach to corrosive metal finishing.
;-)
Posted By: Brian Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 05:04 PM
he is very proud of his offerings
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=435357010
Posted By: Brian Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 05:09 PM
a little acraglas here, a little cold blue there, a little torch action to re-colour (like that English spelling of color?) and presto, a gently refurbished bird gun.
Posted By: gjw Re: Great Little Fixer Upper - 08/19/14 10:41 PM
lagopus wrote: Goodness Gracious!

What a wonderful statement!!!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com