doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LD1 Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 03:53 AM
I need to have the stock replaced on my H&H double rifle. I have a beautiful piece of English walnut to use. I need some recommendations of who does the best work and how long it takes to get it done. I live in Ohio. Does Turnbull do stock duplicating?
Posted By: Retriever Believer Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 04:22 AM
John Vest

http://www.acgg.org/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&listid=4&Itemid=173
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 11:39 AM
John has an excellent reputation. Before you send it to him you may speak with your stocker, he may have his own requests regarding how closely he would like it profiled etc. Additionally if the pattern has any issues they should be addressed before it goes to the duplicator. I spend quite a bit of time getting my patterns in top shape before I put them in the machine. It makes a big difference.
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
John has an excellent reputation. Before you send it to him you may speak with your stocker, he may have his own requests regarding how closely he would like it profiled etc. Additionally if the pattern has any issues they should be addressed before it goes to the duplicator. I spend quite a bit of time getting my patterns in top shape before I put them in the machine. It makes a big difference.

SKB-
Are you using a Hoenig?

A +1 for John- he has done four for me. A recent conversation with a stock maker friend indicated that John has really improved his turn around time, but of course, what that is currently, only John can tell you.
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 01:48 PM
I built my machine from scratch. It is very similar to an early Don Allen.
Steve
Posted By: mc Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 03:52 PM
i sent out a stock to be duplicated i'll let you know how it turned out.mc
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 04:22 PM
I can tell you that Al Lind has done several very nice duplicates for me. I'll post a few pics of my machine later if time allows.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 08:42 PM
SKB I would like to see pictures of your setup. I have a heavily modified Gemni duplicator using linear rails and bearings with a table which weighs a ton when loaded down with shot to dampen vibration. I tried to buy a Allen machine but they did not know if or when they or would make them at the time. At the time I was willing to invest ten K or more for a duplicator.

My current setup works well and I find most problems are pattern centered or operator error/learning curve. When in doubt I cut a practice plain blank first. Since I only cut for myself time is not money. If in the trade I never could cut extra blanks to figure out or learn what I need to learn to duplicate a good stock. As a hobby stocker I probably be better off to pay others to cut my blanks if I did the math. But in this hobby math is often best left out.
Posted By: mc Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 09:29 PM
i sent my stock and wood on the 29th of July, talked to the guy today and its on its way back will be here Friday it is a side lock for a project for myself i will report back if interested mc
Posted By: LD1 Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/20/14 10:48 PM
Please let me know how the stock looks when you get it back. Also, I have to build up some areas that are below the metal. What is the best material to use to build up low areas before I send the stock out?
Posted By: JNW Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/21/14 04:42 AM
I have had excellent stocks carved by Gene Simillion. I believe he has a Hoenig machine.
Jeff
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/21/14 07:43 AM
LD1, Bondo works well for altering a stock. Also a hard epoxy paint will give you a smooth surface to copy. Internal ares can be glass bed as well. You want a pattern that fits perfectly and is free from all defects as possible. Otherwise you will just end up coping your mistakes or defects onto your next stock. Sometimes minor problems can be fixed by leaving extra wood on the new stock and then you finish it yourself.

I try to make the new stock as close to possible to final size to save time and effort. You can carve a stock out of a square blank or cut a nearly perfect stock that requires just a few hours to fit and finish. It comes down to pattern, man and machine. First the better the pattern the better the job. I tried to skip pattern prep and that was a disaster for the most part. Why duplicate a bad pattern or leave so much wood behind that you spend extra hours working? To me the whole point of duplications is to get a good fit and save as much time as you can. Otherwise carve it be hand using hand tools and chisels like what was done a hundred years ago.
Posted By: tut Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/21/14 09:40 AM
Agree with others. Two I'm familiar with are:

http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/

and

http://www.customstocksandsteel.com/

Dan at Custom Stocks and Steel is running a Don Allen machine. Dan worked on the side and ran the same machine for Michael Kokolus who passed away a few years ago.

Agree, the pattern stock is what makes these things right. I watched Dan and his father duplicate a buttstock just a few weeks ago and this takes much longer then folks think to do right. Probably at least an hour or two. I've seen good and lousy duplication done and good is rather amazing.
Posted By: tut Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/21/14 09:42 AM
Agree with others. Two I'm familiar with are:

http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/

and

http://www.customstocksandsteel.com/

Dan at Custom Stocks and Steel is running a Don Allen machine. Dan worked on the side and ran the same machine for Michael Kokolus who passed away a few years ago.

Agree, the pattern stock is what makes these things right. I watched Dan and his father duplicate a buttstock just a few weeks ago and this takes much longer then folks think to do right. Probably at least an hour or two. I've seen good and lousy duplication done and good is rather amazing.
Posted By: mc Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/22/14 09:00 PM
i got my stock back and it is really good he cut the inlets 1 to 1 +.005 on the head and left .035 on the outside he also left the stock long for me i sent it on the 29 july got it back today.locks fit perfectly ( this is a FN side lock)for-end is 1 to 1 on the inlet +.005 on the knuckle +.035 on the outside.i used Gene Simillion looks really good,i have bought semi inlet stock's sent my wood to be inlet in the past with less than great result's this look's very good, very close fitting and great looking inlets.it cost more but the time saving and a better looking finished job makes it worth it ,at least for me. MC
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/23/14 04:02 AM
mc that sounds like a very fair job. Why do people expect cheap, fast and good all in the same transaction? If lucky you get two out of three. Pay the man and get what you want. If you ever get a hack job you spend endless hours trying to fix a bad start on a restock job. If you get a bad set for two hundred and a good set for five hundred why complain about the difference? If I did not have my own machine I would be spending that type of money and be glad for the time savings on the job. But that is just me I guess.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Stock Duplicator - 08/23/14 06:01 AM
Some use bondo. Bobby
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com