doublegunshop.com - home
Hi all, being tomorrow is the opener for doves (for here at least), it looks like it's time to revive this thread for the 2014 hunting season. I hope it will be as popular and successful as last years. There were lots of great posts and wonderful pics of everyone here and their favorite guns, dogs and game.

I want to wish each of you a very successful, safe and happy season!

Bless you all!

Greg
This thread is one of my favorites on this site. Thanks for starting the next chapter! smile (and good luck tomorrow!)
Hi all, well, guess I've got the first post with pics. Today was our dove opener, but not very successful. Not much flying and we were shut out from the usual spot we hunt (rancher was haying) so we had to adjust fire and find a different spot. I was able to get 4 and Will 6, oh well always tomorrow!

My birds with my 16b D. Gotobed:

Will and his, with his 20ga BSS/S:

Now let's see yours!

Best!

Greg
Here are a few photos from our Dove shoot. On one level you could call it a bust; we only managed two mourning doves. Like most years, here in our part of Utah, a cold snap last week pushed the mourning doves south. We made up for the lack of mourning doves with Eurasian collared doves.

It was my friend and co-worker Thanye's sons first real dove hunt. He did well with his little 20 gauge Spanish double. He even got an honest double. Of course as always; Thayne was deadly with his 32 gauge Belgian double hammer gun. I did okay with my 16 gauge hammer gun as long as no one is counting birds per shot. For sure it was a great day.

This count? Interesting here in the NW Valley the Whitewings move in late March, but all left when the Monsoon started about 2 months ago. Then the Mourners came, with a few Inca Dove. Not many Eurasian.

DON'T YOU SEE THE BIRDS!?!?

Gotta do something fun when it's still 104 frown Hard to see the Inca standing on Zach's grave marker. They are smaller and darker than Mourners.

No gun but I shot skeet at Ben Avery this morning. The HOA frowns on harvesting the locals smile
So far...this is my favorite. It's our first hunting picture together of the 2014 season. Dove season opened here yesterday as well, but today was our first outing. They weren't really flying all that thick, but we managed two. I used my Baker A grade and my son chose the Winchester 12 (1917).

We had a great time just enjoying the outdoors and father/ son time together.
Hunted in Ky. nice group of shooters and really nice pig roast after. I only got 4 doves, missed 3 times that but my Lab had a great time picking up for several guys. Due to numerous guys shooting he did not have opportunity to mark all of them but he handles well and sits on the whistle, did a good job of taking overs and backs. For me it's as fun working him as shooting them myself.
I apologize in advance for the back drop on this photo.
Teal season is open, and I'll be shooting the Bluewings for the next few days. Greenwing's are pretty tiny this early.

Great pictures and I plan to shoot Sat. Bobby
CZ, there's nothing more fun than having your decoys strafed by a squadron of teal on their initial approach.
Originally Posted By: steve voss
CZ, there's nothing more fun than having your decoys strafed by a squadron of teal on their initial approach.

Aren't teal the birds that can only fly straight up and down?
CHAZ
Nope, they can strafe a layout of dekes, below radar, and provide some fine crossing shots, too. I have seen them drop almost straight down from high altitude, though.

SRH
Teal are my favorite duck to shoot.
I was very young when Michigan had it's last early teal season. I have been forced to shoot them in Indiana for the last 20 or so years.
It's quite the conflict, do I set up for nuisance geese? or set up for Teal? I like the shooting aspects of teal much better than geese.

This old girl does too.
She's supposed to be dead by now, so every hunt these days is precious.
Teal are the perfect bird to perfect hitting the third bird in line while aim for the first. Good eating too.
Actually I have hit the FIFTH bird--tailwind plus teal equals "Look out, tail-end Charlie"....

The ones I've cooked rendered out about as much industrial-strength duck cholesterol as they did meat. What was left was very good, tho. About a taquito's worth of great meat. Where I hunted them it was upland hunting--corn stubble.
The dog and I got out yesterday evening for a short hunt. Five points and flushes, four shots at three birds, one hit and brought to hand.

The 100 plus year old William Read & Son 12 Gauge Belgian Guild gun did it's job one more time.

My all time FAVOURITE gun, no matter if it's geese or ruffed grouse, pheasants or mallards!
Before restoration

After restoration!
/Westlly%20Richards/WestleyRichradsgoose1_zps385ec9b0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I shot some early geese with the Remmy.
I move on to shorebirds tomorrow, then into the uplands on the 15th.
Hope to add a few Rails, Snipe, and perhaps a Gallinule for the members.
Hi all, great pics and posts! Well this weekend was our opener for Sharpies and huns. It was pretty much a bust, the place we went to where we always did well didn't pan out. Didn't see many birds and there is a lot of row crop still up. Have a hunch that's where they're hanging out. My son Will did manage to get a grouse on Sat. and Sun. (forgot the camera so no pics), I didn't get any shots. So....today we hunted around the house and did well. Will managed two and I got three and a hun.

Will and his birds, he was using his 16ga Sauer Royal:

My birds, I was using my 20ga Yildiz:

My 13 year old GSP Duchess came out today with us, still going strong!

Best!

Greg
Opening of dove season was spotty, but everyone in the county is drilling wheat for the winter....the doves are back; helped by a couple of fronts. Quick limits are the order of the day. The 16 gauge is still my favorite, although a model 42 .410 will get a chance tomorrow.

Bella love me !! Nice hat smile
Nice pictures
Mike
Yesterday's club limit of 12. Beretta 686 20. It's been a spectacular year so far with plenty of birds. This was the second shooting of the field in two weeks. I've been to two other fields on the second shooting and there were more than enough birds. Season goes out tomorrow and restarts on Oct. 11. Yesterday was pleasant to shoot--cloudy and temps in the 70's. We were skirted by thunderstorms until everyone was out of the field. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Hi all, went out today with my boys for shall we say an "interesting" hunt. First place we went to we got rained out, not a drizzle, but a down pour. By the time we got to the truck we were soaked! Went to another area and the wind came up, talking sustained 25 mph with gusts to 30mph. On top of that the dog cut her ear pretty bad, so we had to get her home to patch her up. Just one of those days to remember. We did manage to scratch some birds.

Will (L) and Jim (R) with the 2 birds Will got and Raina our young GSP. He was using his 12ga Fabarm and Jim used his V. Sarasqueta 3EC:

I was using my 16b Charles Hellis and my bird:

Will see how tomorrow goes!

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out after work for a short time, saw a few birds, but only one within range. Got it with my 12b Harkom & Sons. I do like hammerguns!

Best!

Greg
A limit of sharptails w/an 1898ish LC Smith No.O choked full/full++ w/good two rod Damascus. I relayed the ribs last winter. Received lots of help from several old timers on this board. Thanks!

The beginning:

The finished product:

The end result:

I didn't want exclude my partner, Molly. Tough as nails. She'll remove prickly pear cactus buds on her own all day long on the fly.

The gun is a 12 gauge 1907 LC No.OO w/5 pin locks. Just an original condition shooter w/fantastic wood (for an OO)

Location? Sandhills?
Yeah Steve, the Sandhills.
Nice work on the gun; it looks great. I like your pooch better, however. wink Gil
Hi all, well today was our duck opener, not the best, the weather sucked! No wind, not a cloud in the sky, temps in the 70's and hordes of mosquitoes (not a few, but HORDES!) anyway, we did get some birds. I was 1 shy of a limit (we can shoot two additional teal here until Oct 12 for a total of 8). Still, we had a great time, my boys and I.

Will (L) and Jim (R) with their birds, Will used his 12ga Fabarm Classis and Jim his Yildiz 12ga O/U:

My birds and my 12ga Bernadelli Italia

Guess we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Best!

Greg
Greg, I'm heading up to Saskatchewan next month for my annual duck/goose expedition. I notice your birds are still all pretty much in the LBD (little brown duck) plumage phase. Next few weeks should make'em all a little more photogenic.

It is always good to see the progress of your boys in their sporting life. Thank you for taking the time to share...Geo
Thanks George for the very kind words! I've been blessed with some good kids (all 8 of them), never been in any trouble with the law or other people or school for that matter. The boys have been a blessing (the girls also!). Will is 19 and working full time (for someone on this board BTW) and loves what he does, Jim is 17 and is a Senior and will go on to school (after he passes the sixth grade). The good Lord has smiled on the wife and I. I'm a lucky man!

Thanks again!

Greg
Greg, 8 kids? Don't usually see large families these days. Your boys seem to be on the right path thanks to a father engaged in their lives. Mom must be special, too. I'm the oldest of 10. I couldn't get out of that diaper-ridden house fast enough. wink Gil
Greg, please tell us more about your Italia. Is it the Extra? Bbl length, chokes, weight...whatever you can. I can never find one of these.
Hi Steve, it's not the Italia Extra, just the Italia the bbl length is 28", weight is 6-15, I had Briley instal thin wall steel shot tubes. The stock has had a stock enhancement done to it by Mark Larson (the original wood was as plain as day, no grain at all). Been my duck gun for the past 4 years and I don't regret ever getting her. The balance is great, seems to weigh less than what it is. Overall, one fine modern hammergun!

GLS, thanks for the very kind words, very much appreciated! The wife is A Number One. She loves kids and puts up with me. She put up with all the moves we did and me being away before I retired out of the Army. She's a very special gal. Glad I got her!

Thanks again all!

Greg
Here's one I'll remember for a while from last week. Nice group of Huns. Photo taken by a fine photographer friend.

Did you hit any of them, Daryl?

I will make Sidney late the afternoon of the 17th. Will you and the gang still be there?
Greg, it sounds like your family is in stark contrast to Pat Conroy's growing up under the wing of the Great Santini. Conroy and his siblings were interviewed by SC historian Walter Edgar on SCETV radio Friday. It will re-air tonight at 7 pm. According to Pat ( I read this in a local newspaper), who made peace with his father and delivered his Dad's eulogy, said every day when he'd leave duty and return home in the afternoon, his wife would line the kids up in the home along the foyer wall and their father would walk in proclaiming: "Make way for a Marine fighter pilot". Conroy thought that every household in Beaufort experienced the same: "Make way for a chiropractor, lawyer, teacher, etc."at day's end when others' dads came home. A brother said: "I thought everyone in the world moved every two years and got beaten by their father once a day." Gil
Originally Posted By: RCC
Did you hit any of them, Daryl?

I will make Sidney late the afternoon of the 17th. Will you and the gang still be there?

Bob, we will be leaving the next day , I think. The group of birds was seen by my hunting partner as we were driving. He said they were Sharptails. So we got out and approached the area where they lit, but the group of Huns then got up and I sort of "adjusted" a bit too late on them. My partner got two, though.
Well then, I will be by to share your week's adventures and to say hello to all.
Hi all, well my son Will and I went out again today, thought we'd do better as the weather changed, windy (18-20mph) cloudy and cooler (low 50's), but the birds were staying put. Not much flying at all. It was Will's day however, he got 3. I bust a cap on one, but missed! Should have been shooting by Will!

Will and his birds and his trusty Fabarm Classis

GLS, good movie, but the real life Great Santini was something else! I was lucky to have a wonderful Father, best man I ever knew. Only hope I can be half the dad to my kids as he was to me! Think about him everyday.

Best!

Greg
Beware Greg; there's what looks like a timber wolf stalking your boy and his ducks in that last pic!...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Beware Greg; there's what looks like a timber wolf stalking your boy and his ducks in that last pic!...Geo

That's right, he is our guard wolf. He attacks anyone coming into the yard carrying shotgun that's not a double (he just growls if you have a O/U).

Be Good!

Greg

this afternoon near my house on public land. Lucy is happy.
Dove Hunt in NC near Raleigh. VH 16 and Sterlingworth 16

Dove Hunt in SC. LC Smith 20 gauge Field Grade.

Great pictures and some nice new and vintage guns. Thanks to everyone for taking pictures and sharing. Still one month before my season opens and I can't wait.
Not upland game nor waterfowl, but my son's 1st deer of the year (yesterday) with my grandson. The boy 1st spotted the deer and advised Daddy when he could take the shot...Geo

I have worried about three year old grandson being introduced to a big game kill so young, but as you may detect from the expression on his face, I don't think he was too traumatized.
Got out this morning for ducks here in Wisconsin. Nice day in the marsh. 3 Woodies came home. My two favorite duck hunting partners were along:
Dixie my American Water Spaniel and the 16ga Simson.

tunes, great taste in dogs and guns. I campaigned an AWS for a number of years, she became famous. Do to a quick of nature I replace her with an GWHP and now that he is on the down hill slide I'm again looking at AWS's but my favorite breeders Game Creek and Night Hawk and no longer breeding I need to find a new breeder that does hunting dogs, any suggestions?

My old girl at 14 1/2 her last season and the only picture in didital.

Hi oskar,

I got Dixie and my first AWS back in the 80's from Swan Lake Kennels in Pardeeville, WI. They are also gone now.

I have a pal in South Carolina that is breeding them for hunting. He's been doing it for several years now and his dogs are great hunters and field trial champions.

If you'd like you can PM me for his contact info.
Hi all, went out this weekend with Wade Burns for a little sharptail hunting. Hunting was okay, saw birds and got some, but they are starting to get a bit spooky. Still, had a good time and lots of laughs as usual. A very enjoyable trip!

My boys and Wade with the days bag.

BTW, Wades dog Lakota just earned her VC NAVHDA title. She's a great dog to hunt with. My Raina, still needs work!!! Duchess (not pictured) is still going strong for a 13 yr old.

Thanks Wade for a fun time!

Best!

Greg
North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association

VC Title

The Invitational Test
Purpose and Scope
At present the “Invitational” is NAVHDA’s highest level test. The Test is designed to evaluate an exceptional hunting dog in all phases of work and a variety of hunting situations.
Dogs successfully completing the Invitational Test, with a passing score, clearly demonstrate exceptional skill, ability and obedience. Qualifying dogs are awarded the title “Versatile Champion” further recognized by placing VC before their name in all records of NAVHDA Test Information Service and NAVHDA Registry. Entries to the Invitational must have DNA information on file or applied for, through NAVHDA, prior to the closing date for entry and the primary owner of each entry must be a NAVHDA International member.
Love seeing all these photos.

Here is the first woodcock of the season, west central ME - earlier today. My friend's 2 yr old setter is in the middle who, after a short episode of run-oft, settled in and managed to put up 11 WC and 7 grouse (I ain't saying how many hit the ground blush). My friend has his father's AyA XXV 20 ga. and I am shooting my CSMC A10 20 ga.

Hi all, went out after work today to a place close to home. Saw quite a few birds, but they are getting spooky. That time of year. I was able to limit in a hour and a half, so it was a good day. Glad I live where I do!

Used my 16ga Carl Goluch

Best!

Greg
My Sons and I went here last week for some chukar and took an incidental quail in an unlikely spot. There was a tiny patch of wet on the high cliffs with a thick clump of every type of thorny weed known to man. A group of these little guys got up and I managed to scratch one down. We started the day at the river by the way. This is my chukar gun, a Model 30 Uggie.

No dove pics this time ....................... a murder of crows.

My L.C. Smith 32" 16 ga. doing the honors. We took 46 over a friend's freshly dug peanut field.

SRH
Miss Tilly and Mr. Evans last weekend in northern WI. She had a dozen good solid points on woodcock but she has a ways to go on grouse. She has not figured out that she can't get that close to grouse. I'm very happy with her progress at 18 months old. [img][IMG]http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu33/waterdoctor/2014-10-05104701_zpsd4004b5d.jpg[/img][/img]
Try again.

[img:left]http://[/img]
Today was such a nice day that I decided to go out again after work (I really decided this yesterday!). Anyway, old Duchess and I walked another piece of property and we were able to limit in an hour or so. She pointed a single, got that one, then a while later pointed a nice group of 8 or so birds, managed to get a double out of that group. A very good day with a great dog. This time I brought my camera!

Duchess with a couple of the birds:

I used my 12ga SIACE 350G (a self cocking, ejector gun):

Best!

Greg
Closest I've come to a left & right. The first bird was already on the ground when the 2nd one flushed.

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, went out after work today to a place close to home. Saw quite a few birds, but they are getting spooky. That time of year. I was able to limit in a hour and a half, so it was a good day. Glad I live where I do!

Used my 16ga Carl Goluch

Best!

Greg

More pictures of that Goluch hammergun please, gjw!
JR
Hi all, well today was our pheasant opener, it was a success, but took longer to limit than what I expected. The winds we had didn't help much at all, 18mph with gusts into the 20's. The temps hit the 70's, but the winds cooled things down. I was surprised that the birds we got and seen were all colored out. Did see a couple of young roosters not quite colored out. They were the exceptions. Dog worked well and our shooting was good overall (couple misses!).

Here's my son Will with his birds and a grouse. He was using his 12ga Fabarm Classis:

My birds, I also got two grouse. I was using my 12b Purdey:

Overall a very good day!

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out today, but not for long, got rained out. Pretty wet by the time we got done. Not a good day as far as hunting goes, my son Will & I only got a bird a piece. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Will used his 16ga Sauer Royal and I used my 16ga Dickinson:

Best!

Greg
Greg,
I really enjoy this thread. Thanks
We picked up a limit of wild roosters on the Flathead Reservation in western MT this morning. Fresh snow on the peaks, a gentle breeze in the valley, and Kaiser my giant GSP got it done.
I used a Merkel M8 LH with steel safe chokes, #5 steel in the right tube, #2 in the left, IC/M chokes. Smoked 'em!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yncbn7ycbsnkqec/Kaiser_2014_ColumbusDay_Ronan.jpg?dl=0
Hey gjw,

How do you prepare them Sharptails to make them edible?

Vernal
Cook em for an hour on a plank, Vernal. Then throw the bird away and eat the plank.

Seriously, young birds aren't all that bad, but by the middle of September they are all too oxygenated to taste good for me.
RCC and I have argued about this for years and everybody knows he is wrong. Filet out the breast meat, marinate in a ziplock with Italian salad dressing for 1-3 hours. The put them on a HOT grill...I mean it's so hot it creaks...and then sear them for 30 seconds per side. Seriously, if I'm doing a large batch I'm turning the first ones over just as the last ones hit the grill.

Fabulous, with cheesy potatoes and a nice cabernet.

Hi all, Number 2 son (Jim) and I went out today for a couple hours. Didn't see a whole lot (odd, but one of those days) but what we saw we got. Today was Spanish gun day. Jim used his 12ga v. Sarasqueta Model 3EC and I used my 16ga Ugarteachea Model 1030. It was a great day with just myself and Jim, sure love these times with my boys.

Jim and his bird:

I got a rooster and 2 Huns:

And the one who made it all possible, Duchess:

Best!

Greg
My buddy Dave with a nice ruffed grouse from yesterday's wander on the mountain.

Dave moving in on a point...resulting in one or more trees shot and a bird that will live another day.

Wisconsin Pheasant season opened today, partner and I each shot a bird. He was using a Beretta 20ga O/U, I was using a 16ga Husky 310AS

Hey all, well we switched gears today and went ducking hunting, should have gone pheasant hunting instead! Not much flying today where we were at. Few in the morning, but all high or going out. Oh well, that's the name of the game! I managed two and Will one, but his was lost, into the weeds.

Number One Son, Will and his trusty Fabarm:

My Merkel 147E and a nice Butterball drake and Gadwall:

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out today for a couple hours with my daughter Jo. Hunted around home here. Nice day, but very warm. I was able to limit and Jo got 1. Good day to be out with one of my daughters.

Jo was using her 12ga Tristar Brittany:

I used my 12b John Blanch:

Best!

Greg
Nice Greg. Does Jo need an O/U or auto that fits her better than a gun for a male?

( first picture post hope this works! )

Took this old girl out on the first day of the pheasant season when i went for a walk. Did not see anything but i will take it out again on some driven days.

This gun has a special place in my cabinet, not only was it a gift from a very nice elderly gent, but its a gun from a local maker in North Yorkshire, and the first ever gun i restocked It was pain staking and took me a very long time with very few tools and i discovered stocking as a passion. Its not perfect granted, the chequering pattern is completely wrong and the over all look would be improved just by changing that but other than that i am proud of my work, the in letting is very good especially considering the tools i had. It was done three seasons ago when i was 17.

Me shooting two seasons ago with the same gun. ( looking like i had to wax the inside of the jacket to fit in it, happily lost some poundage since! )
Just returned from my Fall Canada trip. Lots of Ducks and Geese; no Huns nor Sharptails...Geo

URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/SelbyLowndes/media/Canada
143_zps1a784013.jpg.html][/URL]

RECIPE: 1/2 cup olive oil,1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2/3 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper,4 cloves garlic minced, 1/3 cup brown sugar, dash or two of tabasco. Mix together and marinate duck overnight. Preheat oven to 450. place ducks skin side down in roasting pan. Roast on middle rack for 10 minutes. Flip ducks over roast until skin is crispy. About 5 to 8 minutes. Most important thing about this recipe is to cut out the backbone of the duck after picking so that the bird will lie flat in the roasting pan.
A Robust kind of morning.

Went for a quick outing this morning on the public ground behind the house I had a good wind and tide, picked up five teal, a widgeon and a mallard. A young fellow walked out for the last hour with me and picked up four teal and pintail and a goose over my dekes and Trooper my GWHP did a yeoman job collecting them for us.
Demonwolf, nice job on the old gun and welcome aboard to the site.
Greg, I am suffering a reoccurring dose of gun envy every time I see your Blanch.
Oskar, nice bag of ducks with the Robust.
George, pass me a duck. It looks great. Billy just got back from Saskatchewan with a load of duck, too. I need to put a Canadian waterfowl hunt on my Ducket list. Gil
Originally Posted By: oskar
A Robust kind of morning.

Went for a quick outing this morning on the public ground behind the house I had a good wind and tide, picked up five teal, a widgeon and a mallard. A young fellow walked out for the last hour with me and picked up four teal and pintail and a goose over my dekes and Trooper my GWHP did a yeoman job collecting them for us.

An Ideal day:

Gil,

Cheers for the kind words and welcome, looks like i have found a forum of shared interest!

James.
After two missed woodcock yesterday over points by my setter Emma today the little 16 ga.Belgium hammergun and I got "on the same page" and dropped one over Emma's point.

With tired eyes and a bloody tail Emma poses with "her" woodcock.
My first ever ruff. On a hunt with wingshooter16.

Hi all, went out after work for a tad bit. Lots of birds, but spooky as all get out (windy day today). Was hunting some tree rows and of course, guess where they got up...the other side (I was solo with old Duchess). Did got two, but lost one (hate doing that!!!)

Anyway, was using my 12b Sam. Allport:

Best!

Greg
16 ga.Belgium guild hammergun and two woodcock taken over my setter Emma.They are from a new to me covert. Moved 7 woodcock in an hour with 6 points, shot at 4 and brought home these two. Don't you just love trying a new covert and finding birds grin

Rick

Allegheny Mountain Wanderings
Rick, always enjoy seeing your Larsonized 16 ga. hammergun with timberdoodles. Gil
Hi all, went out again today for a bit after work. Should have had a limit, but flat assed missed one! Nice day, but warm. Saw a lot of birds, but still spooky for some reason. This is also the first time I hunted during an eclipse. It wasn't a total eclipse, but interesting all the same.

I was using my 16ga Arrieta 871, this one has Boss style engraving:

Closer look at the engraving:

Best!

Greg

Stopped at a friends place today and while talking the dog acted birdy. I pulled out the camera and we walked around an old container into a group of Jakes. the dog and turkeys froze long enough to snap this

Unfortunately I have nothing to add other than my thanks for those who have posted some nice photos of guns, dogs and game birds. More than a month into the season and I have yet to even slide off the safety in the grouse woods. Now the leaves are down I can only hope my luck changes.
Originally Posted By: GLS
Rick, always enjoy seeing your Larsonized 16 ga. hammergun with timberdoodles. Gil

Hi Gil

She's my favorite and I thank Mark everyday I pull her out of the gunsafe for giving me the chance to own her.

Rick
Yesterday, I spent the day wandering the lonely, grass covered, Southeast Idaho hills in search of Sharptail Grouse with my dog Gentry and some friends. We walked a lot of miles and only found one Sharpie and a pheasant. It was still a great day hunting beautiful country with friends and great dogs. Here is Gentry and I with our very first Sharptail Grouse. My 100 plus year old Belgian double sure works for me. One shot and one bird.

AWESOME
Thank you for sharing, sweet
It might be the angle but the barrels look rather short what length are they? Lovely photo's in the spirit of the day
Originally Posted By: Demonwolf444
It might be the angle but the barrels look rather short what length are they? Lovely photo's in the spirit of the day

This old William Read & Sons of Boston 12 gauge Belgian Guild Gun has unmolested 26 inch barrels choked cylinder and full. It is great combination of specs for a side by side designed for hunting in a thick grouse coverts behind a setter.

Demonwolf, nice job on the old gun and welcome aboard to the site.
Greg, I am suffering a reoccurring dose of gun envy every time I see your Blanch.
Oskar, nice bag of ducks with the Robust.
George, pass me a duck. It looks great. Billy just got back from Saskatchewan with a load of duck, too. I need to put a Canadian waterfowl hunt on my Ducket list. Gil

Gil, you are in luck. The Bell family of General Mills fame just put their place in Manitoba up for sale. It's next door to mine. A true bargain of a hunting retreat at only 7.5 million. Mind you, that's Canadian dollars so it would be cheap in real money.

George, when you say no sharpies, was that becasue you didn't hunt them or that there weren't any?

Steve, did Mike get anything or was he just the gun bearer? LOL
Originally Posted By: canvasback
George, when you say no sharpies, was that becasue you didn't hunt them or that there weren't any?

The area of Saskatchewan I hunt (along Last Mountain Lake) has had two rough Winters in a row. The game bird population is way down. The Province has reduced the limits this year.

My "hunting" for huns and sharpies consists of keeping a close eye up the gravel roads in the afternoons when we are locating our duck shoot for the next morning. I usually see plenty of sharpies or coveys of huns out in the road graveling. We stop the truck, get out, and flush the birds where they've run back into the road grass or stubble. This year I saw one sharptail and no huns at all!...Geo
George, answered my question perfectly. It was the weather of the last couple years that caused me to cancel my Sask trip (had a hunting partner on the ground there in the spring giving updates) and just wanted to see if our predictions were reasonably correct.

James, you are an evil man.

Pic of yours truly on page 8, keying off Oskar's "Robust morning"
Hi all, well today was a good day. The weather was great and I hunted my young GSP Raina, she did well, but still needs work, that will come in time and with more experience. Was able to limit ad get a grouse, one of the better days so far this season. I was using my Coggie 12b Konor, nice gun.

Raina

Best!

Greg
Great day today. Shot BP in the lefever.

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16

James, you are an evil man.

Pic of yours truly on page 8, keying off Oskar's "Robust morning"

Mike, I don't know what device puts you on page 8 but I did find you. LOL Somehow I had missed about five posts around there, including both Oskar's Robust Day and your Ideal day. Looking good. Instead of hunting today I was at the rink for a hockey game this morning and back for a 90 minute practice this afternoon. And he only just turned 10. If I didn't know better I'd say we were in 'bama and the sport was football!

An aside....just got off the phone from consoling a friend who just figured out he had 3 turkey's poached off his property (400 acres). He's mad and so am I. We were both counting on one and the season ends shortly! He hasn't been able to get a good look yet but he thinks the 2 decent sized toms are gone. Now just a jake and three hens.
An late afternoon photo of my friend and his dog in Saskatchewan a little over a week ago.

My brother and I with a few birds from one of the days hunt.

Bella and I tried a new covert Saturday. It was a warm sunny day. We found some birds and managed to bring a few home.
Some Husky ducks today

Big storm last night and this morning, I was planning a day of cleaning up the gear today. At noon the weather broke so old Trooper and I hiked down to the bay and took the Husqvarna 51 out for a turn. Had one more for a limit and I passed on some more teal looking for a pintail but they came into the point just after the shotgun was in the case. Fun day the old Husky has been doing well on ducks the past few years, 7/8 oz ITX 6's in a 2.5" hull(cut down Rio Target hull)

Old Troopers hips are wrecked so his upland days are over but he just loves to retrieve ducks and the swimming isn't as hard on him as running the uplands so we're just hunting ducks this year, dosing him with Rymadil and giving him and me a day off at least between hunts.

Troop healing after one of his misadventures

In his prime

Good on you.
Hi all, went out for awhile after work, got two, but lost one, poor old Duchess who's 13 can't run them down like she used too. Still, good to get out.

I used my 12b Henry Atkin:

Good old Duchess:

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Best!

Greg
Hey all, was out today for bit until the wind really started to whip up (20+mph), found some birds, but real spooky, this wind didn't help (as well as all the standing crops!) anyway, I was able to connect on one, the only decent shot of the day. I was using my 12ga Buhag Hubertius:

High winds tomorrow also, so may take a break and get cayght up on some things around the house....unless I decide to go out again.

Best!

Greg
Not really happy to be here.
But hey, Whaddya gonna do?
We had a good morning exposing my pup Willa to gunfire and birds. Her litter mate, Cash, is an old pro having been on birds for a month. Abby, my 4 year-old is on the left, followed by Cash, 6 months, Red, 6 years and Willa. Abby and Red are from the same sire and dam. All have the same sire. It was a good cool morning for dog work in Louisville, Ga. with my wife's cousins.
Good looking Britts!!!

Adam
Beautiful pups all! And the freckles on Cash's nose and legs are a very nice "custom touch"! Just a little extra from Ma Nature...
Looking good, Gil. Can't wait to get behind Abby again, and eventually Willa.

SRH
Folks, thanks.
Stan, I hope the WC's come south again this year for us. It was amazing watching Cash find, point and hold at least a half-dozen birds and retrieve. He goes to the bank every day for a half day with Bill and sits in his office crated. Gil

First day of hunting "the governors" pheasants. My DD had six good points in an hour, and we took four roosters (our limit). I used my Uggie sidelock.

Not to worry, the dog rides in the cab with me, the box is just in the bed for emergencies.

CHAZ

Short video when I was out with my Laurona;

The GoPro was on a helmet mount on my hat for that video. Having it on my chest was worthless as it was never pointed the right way.
Last Saturday I had an acquaintance out for a morning shoot.He is a U.S.Federal biologist from Alaska that was hosting an International Conference on Sea Ducks in our area and had not been on a Snow goose hunt before.The forecast was for clear and calm weather which is usually the kiss of death but overnight a nice layer of fog formed and the results are below. We got real lucky... I was using my Tolley 3" BLE "Altro" model
BTW my 11 year old chocolate Tolley did the retrieving honors.

Terry, good to see you and Tolley back. Very nice gun. Great dog. Was hoping to see the old single-shot 10 gauge Greener Cannon. Gil
My first hunt with my latest hammergun, a 16 ga. Belgium "no-name". I missed the first 'cock with the right barrel, dropped the second bird with the left barrel, and then dropped the next two birds with the right barrel. I think she's going to work out just fine grin. Poor Emma tore an ear probably on a multiflora rose.Looks bad but a little Farnam's Wonder Dust and I had the bleeding stopped.

A little better look at "The Twigg". Named that because she's just shy of 6 lbs and carries like one.
The little red dog, English Cocker?...Geo
Correct. 2 yr old english cocker.
Milrob, your dog is a real ham in front of the camera! Jim
I know his barrels are oriented the wrong way, but my son turned 12 yesterday and made one ^%$#$ of a shot to take his first rooster this morning.
CHAZ
Times like this makes our hearts beat faster
Thank you
Mike
Years first perfect triad, witnessed flush, good shot, and retrieve. Often we get birds but those three things don'e line up smoothly, when they do, it's a great memory!

Beretta S56E 20ga.

Originally Posted By: Hoof
I know his barrels are oriented the wrong way, but my son turned 12 yesterday and made one ^%$#$ of a shot to take his first rooster this morning.
CHAZ

I remember being that boy. Every second of that hunt, 40 or so Octobers ago.
Hoof, great shot of your son. Think he could smile more? wink
MilRob, always nice to see Mr. Swift's Fox and what a dog you have.
Tim, great shot of pooch, new gun and bird. Great when a plan comes together. Gil

Not the greatest photo, but we had a good pheasant hunt in South Dakota last month. The bird population remains "down", but we managed limits every day near Draper.

Where were you hunting Jerry?
2 hrs this morning produced 5 coveys. Picked up a bird from each covey. The .410 by C&A Weston is an absolute blast to shoot on quail! It was a lovely morning in the South Georgia longleaf pines!

Hi all, while this post is OT, no birds or shotguns, thought I'd post this for the heck of it. Anyway, this weekend was our Deer Gun Opener, opened at noon on Friday, we had 3 tags (2 Doe and a Buck) to fill, but only able to fill mine. Friday was darn windy, 30+ winds with gusts up to 40mph, was a tough day to hunt. I filled mine about 4pm, nice decent doe. The boys didn't connect. Saturday was a real nice day winds down a lot, saw deer in the morning, Will had a shot at a buck, but no downed animal, Jim got off one shot same as Will. I could have shot a buck that just stood broadside about 20 yds from me. Off course Will was not with me. Today woke up to snow on the ground, but didn't see much.....God knows where they went, few tracks and few lays. Oh well, always next weekend!

Me and my Doe (she's bigger than what the pic looks like):

I used my Old Style Ruger M77RSI in 7mm-08:

The boys hauling the deer:

The two best hunting partners I have, my boys, Will (L) he uses a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 and Jim ®, he uses a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08:

Best!

Greg
Hey, Greg--

Great pics! But OT on your own thread? A hoot. Your boys look like great hunting buddies. My son is my best hunting buddy, too, but I do let him know there a couple of guys giving him a good run for the money. Of course, he's a bit older than your two.
Tim, nice wood. Black Onyx 686 20? Gil
Tim, nice wood. Black Onyx 686 20? Gil

It's actually a 1970s s56e after Garcia stoped importing the BL series. Thanks

Dave Furman reshaped and checkered the stock. It had a hideous brown finish from the factory.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Favorite Game/Gun Picture - 2014 Hunting Season - 11/12/14 12:40 AM
Greg,
Nice deer, but most especially nice rifle! What caliber is it?
Mike
Hi Mike, the caliber is 7mm-08. The gun was made in 1990 according to Ruger. It's not a common caliber in this model (the RSI) not many made in 7mm-08. I like her, has shot a few deer for me in the past as well.

apachecadillac, thanks for the kind words also. Yep my boys are the best partners a guy can have, very proud of them both.

Best!

Greg
Mr. Frazier: That doesn't' look like a M17. Is that a lightweight?
Yes, it's a 1947 16ga 31L opened up to .004 @ a mere 5 1/2 lbs. It's the angle of death in the hands of a good friend of mine!
Tim, hope you had either AAA or heavy duty jumper cables for the truck. wink Gil
My season has only been open for a few days so I have only been a couple of times.

This was the first bird of the season. Hopefully there will be a few more.

I was shooting a cheap 70'e era 20 gauge from Spain. I call it my "boat gun". My boat is rough on guns so this is the one I sacrificed for days when I have to hunt from the boat.

The second day I hunted I carried a lightweight 1930's 20 gauge Belgian guild gun. I got it last year and have only used it a couple of days so we are still getting used to one another.

Snipe - what do you do with those little jobbies? Breast them, grill them whole, or something else?
Doverham, I've spent almost forty years trying different ways to eat them. These days most of them get breasted out, sprinkled with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, and wrapped in a piece of bacon. A few for an appetiser or a bunch for a meal. For the last couple of years I have given away a hundred or so to a country church in the area for their wild game dinner. They deep fry them there and the people eating them probably couldn't tell you the difference between them and dove.
I'd really like to try Snipe hunting sometime. Great pic's!
Thanks!
Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
Thanks!

Any of us southern boys can take you, but you have to bring your own bag and light...Geo
Thanks!

Any of us southern boys can take you, but you have to bring your own bag and light...Geo

I thought that was just a PA Boy Scout activity. You might want to double up the bags as it seemed like anytime one of the leaders would catch one it would slip through a hole in his bag.
CHAZ
Thanks!

I prefer a 3 D cell mag-lite for most work and a 4 D cell for long range work but your mileage may vary. Bag choice is too personal for me to make a recommendation.

Skip is partially responsible for getting me hooked on Snipe hunting. When its good...there isn't more fun to be had. Everything else..wild roosters, grouse, whatever..is like shooting hot air ballons. Hunting them has helped my shooting tremendously.

His site is a great resource:

http://www.thesnipehunter.com/index.html

I'm stuck using steel shot. So, no nice double gun pics.

I love them grilled straight up. They have a nice fat layer over the muscle that keeps them juicy. No wild flavor to me or the kids. Way beter than dove. Dang stomachs growling now.:).
Snipe are also my favorite table bird (other than a woodie). Gil
Today I shot a 20 gauge Belgian guild gun for the second week in a row.

ATTENTION: Tim Frazier

It looks like the beautiful pah'tridge of Ye Olde New England are now to be found in Northeast Ohio. Please set up a cot or pad or the like in your cellar for next year's bird season.

It sounds like a ruse, but I am truly the best, quietest, unassuming houseguest you can imagine. If you've got a hatchway access to your cellar so much the better. I'll use it for entry and exit and you won't even have to see me.

Gabe(my 8 yr old Brit) is just as "below the radar" as I am and you won't hear so much as a peep out of him, although when he sleeps he sometimes has fitful dreams and strange sounds come out of him, some sounding musical, some sounding conversational, some sound like yearning, and some sound like Satan....but he's cut way down on the last one.

Many Thanks - The (60 yr old) Kid
The results of a wonderful morning spent in a secret creekbottom.

Purdey on Lesser Goose patrol near Cawker City, Kansas(Glen Elder)

Purdey w/ Lesser readying for next retrieve.

Purdey & Bella

Occasionally she collects something of a different colour/variation - Millie as an apprentice.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
16ga Husky Model 201 and the results of a great Saturday morning.

Some quail with the Flintlock
Now that is dedication to blackpowder, Shane. Very nice pic.

Looks to be a single barrel fowler.(?)

SRH
Hardcore, Shane! Good looking GWP as well...Geo

Glad to see you are not Farbing out to the 20th century like the rest of us.

Farb: verb, as in Far be it from Hardcore!
Beautiful picture with the flintlock!
Looks like a Drahthaar to me, a lot like my boy Kaiser.
CHAZ
Shane T; hands down....the coolest picture posted yet. Great photo, fantastic gun!!
Thanks guys. That's my Draht Bismark. The gun is a New England style 12ga fowler I built a couple of years ago. Wingshooting with the flintlock takes some serious getting used to.
Originally Posted By: Shane T
Thanks guys. That's my Draht Bismark. The gun is a New England style 12ga fowler I built a couple of years ago. Wingshooting with the flintlock takes some serious getting used to.

I thought he was a Draht, a big black dog with that much intensity just had to be! I don't imagine that the Drahthaar breed existed when your fowler was in fashion?

CHAZ
Let me chime in my accolades, Shane. Sometimes I think I'm a cut above the jib on those (too rare) mornings when I go afield with one of my percussion doubles. But a flintlock fowler commands respect above and beyond the pale. And the picture you've posted just emanates that quiet, confident authority. You, your beautiful dog, your beautiful flintlock in a beautiful spot on a beautiful day. The next glass I raise will be to you, sir.
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Shane T; hands down....the coolest picture posted yet. Great photo, fantastic gun!!
LeFusil said it perfectly.
I only wish these birds were from Ohio...oh the gas I would save! Your post brought a smile to my face though, thank you!

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
ATTENTION: Tim Frazier

It looks like the beautiful pah'tridge of Ye Olde New England are now to be found in Northeast Ohio. Please set up a cot or pad or the like in your cellar for next year's bird season.

It sounds like a ruse, but I am truly the best, quietest, unassuming houseguest you can imagine. If you've got a hatchway access to your cellar so much the better. I'll use it for entry and exit and you won't even have to see me.

Gabe(my 8 yr old Brit) is just as "below the radar" as I am and you won't hear so much as a peep out of him, although when he sleeps he sometimes has fitful dreams and strange sounds come out of him, some sounding musical, some sounding conversational, some sound like yearning, and some sound like Satan....but he's cut way down on the last one.

Many Thanks - The (60 yr old) Kid
Not what you hope to find in the quail covers. I think this one got flushed from his hole by heavy rains earlier that day, and fortunately it was cold enough he wasn't moving very fast. Otherwise, we would have had a snake-bit dog. (The head got shot off, in case you are wondering).
It has been a VERY slow duck season in central NY this year. Today 11/18 it was 20 degrees and about as cold as you can imagine. The flight birds should have been here in big numbers but not so. Anyhow I managed to take three nice mallards with my Super Fox. Our marsh will be locked up in ice tonight. The gun is my 30" Super Fox
nice picture and good hunting Craig

with the cold and wind yesterday along with the icing up, I wonder how many migrating bird just kept going. Yesterday's DU migration report said Mallards were showing up to the south in PA in large numbers.
Craig, I like everything about your photo and adventure 'cepting the snow and temps. Great gun and birds. Gil
Nice work by two year old Piper on a cold and windy day in south-central MN. Wish she wasn't stand-offish about the camera!

Jay

Doverham

Where was that killed?

A friend killed this big daddy on our lease in southwest georgia week before last.

This was yesterday in my home town. I took a 1910 LC Smith O-grade out to the river for a quick walk. I picked up 5 mallards and a grouse. The river claimed a bird when it was swept into a big logjam that the dog and I were unable to recover it from, and I missed another grouse and a mallard that tried to land on my head.

All these guns and game pictures are getting me excited. Guest day this weekend. Driven phesant.
Adam - I don't like either one of those snakes, but I like yours even less! We were in Camilla - not too far from you. Hope you have been seeing lots of birds on your lease.
Doverham and Adam, I assume those are Eastern Diamondbacks? NOT a snake you want to bite you or your dog.....
Adam, I wonder if that's a quail in the middle of that diamondback. That's a dog-killer for sure. Doverham's canebrake or timber rattler is bad enough, but that EDB is one bad dude. Gil
In my experience eastern diamondbacks are less aggressive than canebrakes. When one coils up at your feet and you freeze or step away, it will usually back away itself by lifting one coil over another until it feels a safe distance away from the threat, then uncoil and crawl away.

Of course they're big and carry a lethal load of hemotoxin but unless attacked by a dog are not as sure of striking as the canebrake. Water moccasins on the other hand are always bad news...Geo
What was the old saying about the lethality of three species of snakes? One sent you home, one sent you to the hospital and one sent you to your Maker - or something like that?

In any event, snake gaiters next year.
The Greener awakens.
Tobin snack
I actually shoot more than just geese.
George, I'd hate to know the number of snakes I've walked by while hunting and not been aware of their presence. In the past 3 years I've attended 4 snake breaking clinics with my Brittany. Dr. Calderwood has 3 snakes, a canebrake, a huge EDB and a large cottonmouth. The EDB buzzes in a pile and doesn't strike. The cottonmouth holds its head high like a cobra and is prone to run. I watched the canebrake strike at several dogs. The strike is a blur. Good thing his major fangs are broken off and its mouth is taped shut. Ornery bastard. Gil
Gil I too have taken my dog to class with dr calderwood. I need to my younger dog now.

I simply won't hunt when it's hot.... Just not worth it to me. I don't know what I'd do if I lost a dog to a snake!

Adam
Adam, he now comes to Savannah for classes at the gun club. My 6 months old Willa was too young for the September class. He said to wait until May. He wants his serpents' fangs to regrow so they can feed this winter. Abby has had 3 "refresher" courses since going three years ago. She won't go near the snakes and in fact bolts away when she senses them. It's worthwhile to have a dog broke from snakes. I assume it was Rusty that had the "class". Gil
I see quite a few snakes each year when hunting. I was a land surveyor for twenty years and saw far more in those days than I do now. I had quite a collection of skins from diamondbacks before I decided to stop killing them. In that environment they were no threat to my dog and I couldn't justify it. Now I let a venomous snake's attitude determine its fate. Every time I hunt I see snake skeletons that have been picked clean. I took a number of pictures of this cottonmouth. It was out on exposed lake bottom where a bird could easily get it. I have never seen one with such a dehydrated or malnourished look that it's spine was so prominent. It took some effort from me to get it to strike a menacing pose. Because of its attitude that snake was given a pardon. The next cottonmouth I saw wasn't as lucky.

Hi all, have not posted any pics lately, been deer hunting and helping the boys to fill their tags, so bird hunting took a back seat for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Anyway, went out to get the boys deer tags filled ans decided to take take the shotgun along, just in case. Managed to get 2, but lost one (sure do miss having a dog with me!!!!). The bird hunting was cut short when my number 2 son got his doe. Nice animal. His brother didn't fair well this year, he had a buck tag, but didn't fill it. SO now that deer season is over....time for birds.

Jim and his deer:

My bird, used my 12ga Merkel 147E:

Best!

Greg
It was a short morning for me. The weather was very nice when I got to the lake but it wasn't long before the clouds were rolling in. It was opening day of duck season so I didn't get to the landing until around 9:00. It wasn't supposed to rain until late afternoon but it first started sprinkling before 11:00 and quickly turned into a steady rain. At that point I only had two birds in the game bag. I decided that dry clothes and the fireplace at home would feel much better so I threw in the towel. On the way back I got lucky and picked up three more birds.

WOW,
Nice picture Snipey!
How do they taste, like woodcock?
I'm sorry but I will have to let someone else answer regarding the comparison between snipe and woodcock. I have shot very few woodcock and it has been about twenty years since I shot my last one. Of the birds I've eaten a snipe is closer in taste to a dove than anything else.
Snipe & Woodcock are close cousins & have a similar diet so I'd say they taste the same with the snipe being a bit more earthy. Doves & liver are a close comparison.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Here's a 180 degree opinion from above. wink I prefer all of my wild birds cooked rare to medium rare. A comparison of dove with liver indicates to me a diet of cooked well-done game. To my palate, snipe is the mildest and best flavored of the red meat wild birds, up there with wood duck, teal and grain fed mallards and pintails. Dove are just below, but not by much. Woodcock are next. Some find the flavor of woodcock a little strong, but I don't.
I tend to agree with you and from time to time mix the slew footed Merganser(along with Coot) in the lot in duck balls & Persian duck & you really can't tell the difference. At camp or home we pretty much eat everything closer to raw/seared than well done but take 100 folks and lay out the above as you described & I'd hazard a guess that 90% will default to a liver taste being the common factor.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, I understand. As to those who could care less about eating wild game, I refer to Russell Chatham's great short story, The Great Duck Misunderstanding as to what they should be served and I don't mean what he imagined sticking in his eye at the end of the story. wink Gil
Here's a 180 degree opinion from above. wink I prefer all of my wild birds cooked rare to medium rare. A comparison of dove with liver indicates to me a diet of cooked well-done game. To my palate, snipe is the mildest and best flavored of the red meat wild birds, up there with wood duck, teal and grain fed mallards and pintails. Dove are just below, but not by much. Woodcock are next. Some find the flavor of woodcock a little strong, but I don't.

+1

SRH
At our camp timberdoodles are pan seared for exactly 2 minutes on each side.
Done perfectly medium rare on the inside without a hint of liver.
I suspect the issue that some folks have with timberdoodles is they picture an earthworm dangling out of its mouth as they chomp down. smile Gil
I suspect the issue that some folks have with timberdoodles is they picture an earthworm dangling out of its mouth as they chomp down. smile Gil

Not too much different than a bluegill grin
Capital one & shellcrackers really fancy liver(chicken).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Hi all, went out today with my son Will and my old reliable GSP Duchess. Was a good day, we each limited and Duchess worked as well as ever. She made a couple of real nice blind retrieves and without her, we never would have had the day we did.

I used my 16b John Wilkes:

Will used my 16b Charles Boswell:

Duchess and the days bag:

Best!

Greg
That looks like a nice day's hunt, Greg. It looks a little nippy in the Dakotas right now! Is it tough to operate the double triggers with heavy winter gloves? RE the woodcock, and as a Grouse hunter I often times just let them fly away because in terms of table fare they definately take a back seat to the delicate white meat of the Ruffed Grouse. But I have found a couple ways I like them. I always filet the breast from the breast bone and separate the legs at the hip joint, then sauté in butter, very rare. The legs are a whitish meat and are quite good. Another recipe is filet off the breast, then cut the breast in half and soak the meat in red wine for about an hour. Then a mildly hot pepper placed against the half breast, wrap in proscutio ham, or bacon, tooth pick, put on a hot grill and when the ham or bacon is done, off the grill for a quite tasty little appetizer.
Hi buzz, thanks for the kind words. Yep, it's been a bit chilly up here. Having January weather instead of November temps. Worst part of this is the wind. I can't recall such a windy fall. I;m talking your 20 to 30 mph stuff. Seems it just won't stop!

I really can't use gloves much with DT, I have my non-shooting hand gloved, but put my other hand in my pocket, works for me.

Take care!

Greg
Hi all, went out today with my son Will for a short time. Was a crappy weather day, cold and windy (25mph). Tough hunting day, only managed one, didn't see many. Hope the weather turns for the better soon!

Used my 12ga SIACE 350G:

Best!

Greg
A blind hog will find an acorn once in a while smile.

1880's Belgium hammer gun.
gjw, I suspect you are not hunting around Minot; too darn cold and windy here the last few days, windchills well below zero. I wanted to go out today (30 Nov) but this am's windchill was -35 and ambient temp was -13.
Dollysods, beautiful gun, does it have Damascus barrels? If so, what shells do you use? I want to hunt with my 1888 Ideal but need shells for 2 1/2 in chambers and Damascus barrels.
Lefever GE 12 and sprig, using ITX #4 handloads:

Beautiful fall day, taking my Syracuse O grade 16 out for the first time on a chukar hunt. I've since converted this gun to a straight grip and am sprucing it up. It's a fantastic shooter.

Hi all, went out after Church today for a very short hunt (family stuff this afternoon!) another very cold and windy day. Saw lots of birds, but very spooky, typical late season birds. Was able to scratch one down. Used my 12ga Buhag Hubertius:

Best!

Greg
Greg, do you ever find you don't shoot as well switching between a lot of different guns? Just curious.
Originally Posted By: No Dak Scotty
Dollysods, beautiful gun, does it have Damascus barrels? If so, what shells do you use? I want to hunt with my 1888 Ideal but need shells for 2 1/2 in chambers and Damascus barrels.

Hi Scotty

Yes it's a 16 ga. Damascus barreled Belgium guild gun in that Mark Larson saved from the scrap heap grin. I load 2 1/2 inch Cheddite hulls with SR 7625 keeping pressures below 6500 psi. I believe RST and Polywad both make shells that your old Ideal could handle. She's deadly in my Pa. grouse and woodcock coverts.

Rick
Got Grouse??

Seems like I've been looking in the wrong places for the little guys??!!

Progression of a hunting photo. Preserve chuckers, super stead fast points, at nine months old. My best hunting photo with him so far!

Don.
Here are few photos taken by my lovely wife, Wanda, from yesterday's pheasant hunt with my buddy Dave. It was a good day with weather that felt more like late October than early December.

Dave and Drahthaars

in the thick of it

Dave moving in of the last point of the day

Me moving in on my setter Gentry's last point of the afternoon.

And something you don't see everyday while hunting pheasant. She was't to happy with us or the dogs.

Friday after Thanksgiving in a peanut field across the road from my home. A limit plus a couple bonus ringnecked doves.

My blind set up next to a wheel on the center pivot.

The gun, a 1918 32" BE Fox, using 1 oz. of 7 1/2s, .015" R and .025" L. Big medicine for late season doves.

SRH
Saturday after Thanksgiving in a peanut field just down the road from my house, Grandson Jackson with 12 big late season birds. I started him off with S x S guns, but he has left the fold and is using a 1100 20 gauge now. I'm claiming Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". wink He is 12 yrs. old, but is a better shot than most men I know. He made the prettiest double that afternoon you ever saw, killed the first one incoming, then turned around and grassed another one going away. You shoulda heard his Grandpa cheering.

SRH
Very nice Stan. I hope to go to a real barn burner Saturday! Hopefully the birds hang around. Ill try to get pictures of the drag I told you about.

Adam
Guys, I shoot doves as much as possible. Our season here in N.C. came in Thanksgiving day as well. I have two fields I am scouting, a freshly cut corn field and a freshly cut soybean field. Do doves like soybeans?
Yes, doves eat soybeans. They can't peck open the hull, but there is usually enough spillage from the opened hulls from the harvesting for them to feed. Gil
Stan, those are some fine pictures right there. A Long Range Puffer Fox and a wonderful grandson. Life is good, indeed.
JR
Doves especially seem to take to a bean field when it snows. It doesn't snow here much, but I have seen them take to the soybeans almost every time it does.

SRH
A few photos from yesterday's pheasant hunt with some friends.

My odd gun liking friend's 10 Gauge Linder Daly and his old 14 Gauge.

The crew

One of my buddies mid 1950s Browning Superposed Grade 5  

There is hope for the next generation. My friends son with his little 20 gauge Spanish double

This was a couple days ago, on a break from hunting public land near Wagner, SD. Two year old Piper is turning into a real nice little hunting dog, just plain fun and almost effortless to hunt over. The gun's an RBL 16 choked SK/M, my primary pheasant gun the past several years.

Jay

Hey all, went out today with Wade Burns and my son Will. It was a great day weather wise, low winds, sunny and 50. Everything melting and the back roads sloppy and slick. Hunting wise, terrible. Saw few birds and I was lucky and got the only bird today. Worked some prime areas, but nothing, oh well, just one of those days I guess. Even with the crappy bird numbers the hunt was a golly good time. Wade sure does make it fun! Comical as always, good one liners all the time! Anyway, on to the pics:

Wade and Will with Wade's GWP Lakota (who has a NAVHDA VC title BTW)and my GSP's Duchess & Raina:

Wade & Will on the hunt! Will is short sleeves in Dec in ND!

The bird and my 12b FA Anderson:

Fun day for me and Will!

Best!

Greg
Had a great late season dove shoot yesterday. About 50 people were there and the birds numbers were excellent. Got 12... Just 3 shy of my 15 bird limit. Probably would have limited out were it not for my Beretta malfunctioning. My top barrel wouldn't fire so I basically had a single shot the entire hunt.

Here is e bag with my prized retriever.

I have been shooting a 20 gauge clunker of a Zabala the last few weeks.

This past October in Winter Township WI. Turbo with grouse at his feet and my 1934 Francotte. I shot the gun at a couple of vintage shoots this summer but this was first time in field. Loved it!
How do I post a photo here- help please. Our DU Committee had a preserve pheasant hunt this past Sunday, 14/Dec- would like to post a photo our guide took of yours truly walking in on a solid as a rock point- beautiful 4 year old female Setter, 73 year gunner with tan and blaze orange- Thanks
Fox, open a free account with photobucket and follow their ample instructions for uploading your picture from your computer to your account with them. When your pic appears on photobucket there will be two lines of script below the picture. Click on the one to the left and the one to the right will turn blue. Then right click on the blue script and select copy. Then go to this site and insert your pic by right clicking and selecting paste. It ain't rocket surgery...Geo

P.S.: If you wish to post more than one picture here it is easier if you open both windows on your screen and go back and forth.
No soap- there are gremlins afoot with the photobucket- it won't let me log in, and when I try to retrieve the password I apparently forgot- it is supposed to send me a new e-mail and with instructions as to getting a new password- ain't happening- do you have a "plan B"?? RWTF- and I ain't Verner Von Braun either!! Rocket Science was his bag, not mine-
Try snapfish or flikr. There are plenty of photo sites besides photobucket..Geo
I can't get the hang of it, either. I'd like to see Fox with his setter so badly perhaps he could email his photo to a member who could post it for him.
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
do you have a "plan B"?? RWTF

Ask a grandchild for help; works for me!...Geo
Plan B-C
here's a photo upload/download site:
http://www.hunt101.com/
Thanks GLS- I am on that forum you recommended as Foxylad, I can post but can't seem to get the photos posted there either. Since all Southerners are Gentlemen, would you PMSA me an e-mail address where I can send them to you and have you try to post them here on my behalf. Thanks RWTF
Run With The Fox, you can email them to me and I will post them. My email address is in my profile.
Roger that. Snipe, flighting doves and buffleheads in a squall from a layout boat- toughest wing shooting of all, IMO. Didn't know you had good snipe and rail shooting in FL- thanks for your gracious offer- The 4 year old Setter is not my dog, however, Allie is the pride and joy of one of the guides, Pamela Anderson-- At the Blodgett Creek Club in Central MI-- great cover, strong flying birds too!!
Gee Fox, Pamela Anderson (Baywatch!) was your pheasant guide! You get around better than I'd have expected...Geo

But I want a picture for proof; Pammy, not the dog!
This is the picture sent to me from Run With The Fox.

Didn't know you had good snipe and rail shooting in FL

Some years it can be fairly decent. This year there is too much water in this part of the state. Historically Florida finishes in the top three states for number of snipe shot along with Louisiana and Texas.
That forwarded pic of RWTF and his dog reminds me of classic cover illustrations of old hunting mags and catalogs. Neat job, all!
Well it ain't Pammy but it is a 1st class Game/Gun picture. Way to go Fox!...Geo
Francis: That's a really neat photo. Both you and the bird dog look rather intense, all business.
Thanks to all who helped get this posted here. I wish I were more of a "techie" I guess, but at 73, well- as they say about old dogs learning new tricks-- You are right about older pictures and magazines- my "keeper" is the Fall 1977 GSJ- had the two best stories about pheasant hunting I have ever read- Jack Curtis "The Prairie Queen" and a USMC 1st Lt. from the 'Nam era- John Hewitt- "There's Always Tomorrow"-- MI stopped the required back tag reg many years ago- but that one is from my late father's hunting coat, from the last year we hunted pheasant together- who says older bird hunters ain't sentimental? Merry Christmas to all--RWTF
Fox, never heard from Pamela. Good to see it posted. Great looking photo. You look much younger than 70. Gil
Fox, never heard from Pamela. Good to see it posted. Great looking photo. You look much younger than 70. Gil
Actually, I became 73 on Nov. 6th this year. Thanks for the kind words, my friend and your help. Real observant brother bird hunters may also note the bulge of a deceased pheasant (hen) in the back game pocket- on my left or "off-gun" side- same reason I keep fewer shells in the right hand (gun side) of my SC vest than on the left- and never more than 15 total in both pockets combined- to prevent drag on the coat-vest on my gun mounting side-

I can also shoot either the M12's or the LC Smiths that fit me best without any concerns about"cross-over" due to a dominant off side eye, which is critical to an avid shotgunner like me--

I just had an eye exam on Mon 15th-- distance vision is 20/15 right eye, 20/20 left with no glaucoma, pre-diabetic concerns, problems with peripheral vision or signs of color blindness- blessings indeed also that are, at least to me, priceless. At 73, I no longer stomp the grouse and woodcock coverts as I did at 37, preserve hunts and the Tower shoots are my "cup of tea" nowadays, plus both pass and decoy shooting on ducks and geese hereabouts.

My gunning heroes were/are the lates: Ray P. Holland, Burton L. Spiller, and of course, "De Shootin'ist Gent'man hisself, T.N. Buckingham. I can only guess at the devastation Nash must have felt when some of his keen eyesight fell to cataracts and the surgery required back in the 1960-1970 era required to remove that sight-robbing condition. So-- No Publisher's Clearing House prize patrols in the driveway yet, nor any Powerball winnings, but I cannot complain. I have enjoyed good health for all my adult life, and live for those "Grey November Days" as the late Gene Hill wrote it so eloquently- Merry Xmas to you and yours, Sir!!!
Francis, I seem to recall a pic of you on a snow covered front porch, with long hair. Am I remembering wrong?

SRH
Originally Posted By: Stan
Francis, I seem to recall a pic of you on a snow covered front porch, with long hair. Am I remembering wrong?

SRH
I think so, Stan. The snow- yes, lotsa that here in Central MI- front porches- those too- But I have been as bald on top as Julius Caesar since I was 40-33 years ago- and besides, long hair on a Jarhead?? Sorta like a Leupold scope on a slingshot-- Holiday best wishes anyway!!
Had a great hunt today. Found 6 coveys and killed 6 birds in 3 hrs this morning. Took a good friend and his young son (9 yrs old) who able to shoot his first bird.

Me and the youngest quail addict I know. I used my AYA 28ga, Carter used his 410 pump, and his dad shot a Browning 28ga Superlight.

Carter's 1st kill.
Two Brittanies and a GSP? Fine looking group- both dawgs and lads- great start indeed. Not a quail hunter-few here in MI- but curious- One you have flushed a covey- say 8 birds, and perhaps taken one or two, do you then leave the scattered birds be, and work the dogs elsewhere? Also, with three hunters and three dogs (assuming all three "feather finders" are working, how do you work the rotation as to how many go in to honor the point and backing of same?
Nice job, Adam. Good to read the young'n bagged one. Who is Rusty's orange and white buddy?
The two britts are mine and the GSP is my friends. We hunted all 3 together. No real tactics as far as that goes... Whatever happens happens! As far as the coveys go.... Conservative shooting is key. We usually shoot the covey rise and if the covey is large enough, we'll hunt a single or two. But I try not to over pressure them. Not interested in big bags.

Adam
Gil, that's my other dog Copper. Rusty is trying to teach him a thing or two about quail hunting. He's coming around.

Adam
Hi all, my son Will and I went out today, it was a nice day, warm, low winds and sunny. The day started out slow, in fact I missed two, the first one, I fumbled with my safety and the 2nd flat out missed. Was able to collect myself and got a limit. Will managed two plus a Hun, the Hun was a long shot, dogs worked well and the company was great!

Adam, good going!! Nice pics as always.

My birds, I was using my 12b H&H Royal:

Will and his, he used his 20ga Browning BSS:

Me and the girls (Raina & Duchess):

Best!

Greg
Fox and Friend
Nice pics, Foxy!

Here's today's pic. A nice HYB (hatching year bird) Ruffed grouse, a nice brown one.

I went 3 for 4, with 2, 1 shot kills. Oustanding gunning for me. I used a 16 gauge Crescent for 1, and the other two I shot with Blackpowder loads from an Ithaca Crass. Only about 2 inches of fluffy snow in the woods. Cold and clear hereabouts.
Hi all, my son Will and I went out today, it was a nice day, warm, low winds and sunny. The day started out slow, in fact I missed two, the first one, I fumbled with my safety and the 2nd flat out missed. Was able to collect myself and got a limit. Will managed two plus a Hun, the Hun was a long shot, dogs worked well and the company was great!

Adam, good going!! Nice pics as always.

My birds, I was using my 12b H&H Royal:

Will and his, he used his 20ga Browning BSS:

Me and the girls (Raina & Duchess):

Best!

Greg
No blaze orange regs in ND? Raina- like my favorite Fleetwood Mac song--??
Hi, blaze orange is only required during the deer gun & muzzleloader season. That includes bow hunters during the gun season only. Upland hunters are not required to wear blaze orange if they are bird hunting. But, if your hunting birds during deer season, your a fool for not wearing it!

Best!

Greg
Hi all, went out after Church for a short while and it was my son Will's day. He got two and I only got off one shot, but he was faster on the draw, getting old I guess!

Anyway, Will was using his 16ga Sauer Royal:

Best!

Greg
A Missouri whitetail, the Al & Roger Biesen rifle that did him in:

Beauty buck & rifle. Caliber?
PA Gray

Nice bird Tim.
I'm brining bobwhite quail, ruffed grouse, pheasant, and a wild turkey breast today, to be smoked tomorrow, for Christmas.
10 days remaining this season for upland birds.
Tim, beautifully composed photo. Gil
Tim, beautifully composed photo. Gil
Indeed- the shotgun is centered, but the Sir Ruff is positioned following the "Rule of Thirds" Well done, and a fitting pose for the Upland King..
Thank you gentleman, I'm humbled! I just knew I wanted this picture to really represent what a Christmas gift this bird was. This color phase is the rarest where we hunt, it was towards the end of many miles of cold hunting and my young setter pinned it back towards me.(briefly mind you) I believe I will have it mounted and it will be the first game of any type that I have done such.

Tim, you'd be hard pressed to have a better momento of the bird than the photo. Gil

300 Winchester Magnum, 1941 Model 70 barreled action (originally a 30/06) rechambered and with the sight boss turned off.
Originally Posted By: GF1

300 Winchester Magnum, 1941 Model 70 barreled action (originally a 30/06) rechambered and with the sight boss turned off.
And also, the safety was converted from the first style (1937-1941)to the later version, where the Safe position is at 6 o'clock and the fire position is at 3 o'clock. I have M70 SG in 30-Gov't-06 made in 1940, and the safety is set at 9 o'clock, and the fire position is at 6 o'clock- In either design, half-way the sear is blocked, but the bolt can be fully cycled- Beautiful rifle indeed, and nice to see a Military 1903- M1 Garand style leather sling, QD swivels and a black buttplate that looks like it grew out of the wood- and the best scope money can buy, due to in part their unlimited warranty (Leupold)-- what grain weight and style bullet was used to take this animal? I use nothing but Rem Core-Lokt 180 grainers in my 30-06 for both Whitetails and feral pigs here in Central MI---
Originally Posted By: Tim Frazier
Thank you gentleman, I'm humbled! I just knew I wanted this picture to really represent what a Christmas gift this bird was. This color phase is the rarest where we hunt, it was towards the end of many miles of cold hunting and my young setter pinned it back towards me.(briefly mind you) I believe I will have it mounted and it will be the first game of any type that I have done such.

Safety orange cap and vest, shooting glasses and a fine double gun, also the orange collar on that fine looking Setter- Sweet!!!
Hi all, only went out for a hour today in between Christmas activities. Managed one. Saw birds, but the only rooster in range.

I was using my 16ga Garbi Model 100

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Greg
Hi all, only went out for a hour today in between Christmas activities. Managed one. Saw birds, but the only rooster in range.

I was using my 16ga Garbi Model 100

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Greg
And to All, a good night! Well posed foto, and if you hadn't said the maker was Garbi, I might have thought you had a Dutch Double there- The Holland Brothers sure can build fine shotguns-Y yambien, los que hechan escopetas en Espana- Feliz Navidad a todos amigos aqui-- El Zorro!!!
Tis a grand Christmas Eve when I can grab the MacNaughton, call Hobbes and shoot a brace.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Is that little weener dog Hobbes? I like the way the picture embiggens when you click on it...Geo
Me too, George, good clarity. Hobbes looks like my kinda dog.

"Embiggens"............. good word, George.

SRH
Hobbes is a miniature wirehair dachshund who grew up training with my labs and now thinks he is a lab. Fabulous on pheasants. He typically flushes as many as the big dogs and as long as one of the big dogs doesn't steal the bird makes an admiral retrieve. The enjoyment of success using the obscure!
As sweet as the shaggy teckel may be, the gun from Edinburgh got my attention a waggin'. Merry Xmas.
Me too, George, good clarity. Hobbes looks like my kinda dog.

"Embiggens"............. good word, George.

SRH
Jawohl- But how is he on Badgers?? Hobbes- without a Calvin, huum. Next to POGO, my favorite cartoon strip. I have also used the term "Biggered" but now I see another fine choice of phraseology, Prosit und Froliche Weinachts auf Herr Hobbes und Sie!!
Although I love Calvin and Hobbes, I think this is best known from the Simpsons.

How about a short video with a boxlock AyA? I love that you can see my dog switch ends when he comes into scent.

http://vid991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/doebyc/quickturn2.mp4
I had to look up "cromulent". laugh I'm not fluent in Simpson-speak.

This is way off topic I know, but maybe Greg won't hold it against us for being a bit childish on Christmas Day.

SRH
I had to look up 'cromulent' too; not a Simpsons fan. I borrowed 'embiggens' from Steve Bodio...Geo
I added the video to try and include something with game/gun in it to remain on point.

Merry Christmas to all!
CHAZ
Originally Posted By: GF1

And also, the safety was converted from the first style (1937-1941)to the later version, where the Safe position is at 6 o'clock and the fire position is at 3 o'clock. I have M70 SG in 30-Gov't-06 made in 1940, and the safety is set at 9 o'clock, and the fire position is at 6 o'clock- In either design, half-way the sear is blocked, but the bolt can be fully cycled- Beautiful rifle indeed, and nice to see a Military 1903- M1 Garand style leather sling, QD swivels and a black buttplate that looks like it grew out of the wood- and the best scope money can buy, due to in part their unlimited warranty (Leupold)-- what grain weight and style bullet was used to take this animal? I use nothing but Rem Core-Lokt 180 grainers in my 30-06 for both Whitetails and feral pigs here in Central MI---

Thanks for the kind words. Correct on the safety mod, as well as the built up and checkered bolt release that doesn't show in the photo, Blackburn bottom metal, new Biesen bolt handle checkered on three panels, Biesen grip cap. Sling is Brownell's Latigo, pad is .7" Pachmayr Old English Decelerator. Scope is Leupold 6x42.

Ammo was handloaded 200 grain Nosler Accubond over 70.5 gr. of IMR 4350, Fed 215 primer, Winchester cases. More than needed for even a big whitetail buck, but it's my favorite rifle, it likes that load and I had some loaded up.

Merry Christmas to all...
Hobbes is a Master Earth Dog and goes down tunnels very well. Never put him on a badger. He is so tenacious I'd have to dig him out.
I had to look up "cromulent". laugh I'm not fluent in Simpson-speak.

This is way off topic I know, but maybe Greg won't hold it against us for being a bit childish on Christmas Day.

SRH
All of us who profess a Christian Faith are children at heart at Christmastime-
Originally Posted By: Hoof
Although I love Calvin and Hobbes, I think this is best known from the Simpsons.

How about a short video with a boxlock AyA? I love that you can see my dog switch ends when he comes into scent.

http://vid991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/doebyc/quickturn2.mp4
I didn't see enough of the AYA, but a one shot kill- not too shabby- But the dog-work, on a low cover area and a blustery wind-that's the "icing on the cake", the crème on the de-Minthe, the cherry on the hot fudge sundae, and a solid retrieve. I'll take a fine dog like yours that hustles right to the deopped bird- maybe a stand to point until ordered to retrieve works on other game birds, I don't know- but I want a dog that gets to a downed pheasant ASAP- pheasants cling to life like Ebenezer Scrooge clings to his shillings.
Thank you so much for the kind words. He won't win any field trials, but you don't lose too many cripples hunting over him. My son hit a chukar that day that due to the wind the dog just about caught before it hit the ground.
CHAZ
I left the house this morning expecting a tough day at the lake. The water was already too high and after 10" of rain this week I knew the birds would either be concentrated in the small area still above water or long gone. Last weekend the edge of the water would have been fifty yards from where my boat is sitting in this picture.

For the first time this season I had to go out in water that was over my waders and it happened twice. Even though I am in Florida the temperature was in the upper thirties this morning and the water was chilly enough that my legs were numb for a few minutes. That will teach me to make better decisions when deciding to shoot or pass on a shot.

After missing 2 grouse that my Emma had pointed beautifully, she found this hen pheasant in some unlikely looking cover. After missing the "speedy rockets" this hen seemed almost too easy and the little Belgium 16 gauge & I dropped her with the right barrel.

Rick

Allegheny Mountain Wanderings
I'm getting too old to be out walking around in that mud two days in a row.

Hey all, went out today around the home place with my son Will. Boy did we see the birds...a ton of them, except....really wild. I was able to limit out, but poor Will didn't fair well at all. The dogs worked well and my pup Raina did very well, she's coming along nicely.

I used my 16ga Ugartechea Model 1030:

Best!

Greg
I had an awesome time shooting cleanup a few days after a holiday tower shoot on an estate.

I took my two sons out for some holiday preserve pheasants in northeastern CT. It was the younger guy's first time out, and he made some nice shots with his grandfather's 1930s M12 20 gauge.

I was shooting backup and my Verney-Carron Helicobloc did a nice job scratching down a few 35-yarders that had evaded my sons.

You always wonder what is on the other side of that rise . . .
Duck hunt in Currituck Sound with my youngest son. Slow morning, but we got two Ruddy Ducks. Saw a whole bunch of duck and goose species we never see around here.

I shot a Parker GH 12 gauge which belonged to B. P. Holland who built the house which now houses the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum in Virginia Beach and who was quite a duck hunter himself. The gun was ridden hard by him, but still does its part as long as I do mine.

Mills, I've had lots of days when the total result, in game at least, was a coupla Ruddys. But as your 5th picture shows so well, the game ain't all there is to it, not by a long shot!...Geo

You didn't eat those things did you?
We just got back. Hope to eat them soon. They are supposed to be good eating. Even my Dad said he had never shot a Ruddy before.

No, it is not all about the bag limit. We had a great time.
Mills, Ruddys are probably just fine off Currituck Sound; enjoy!...Geo
The Set-up central NY 2nd season 9 out of 10 season our marsh would be frozen.

The result 7 mallards a black and a goose. Shot my Model 21 Duck

And one tired Lab
Just ducky !!
Thanks for sharing
Mike
Mills, what could be better than a blue bird day with your little buddy? A ruddy ain't bad in the pan. Filet the breast medallions, sear in a pan and serve medium rare. Gil
Mills and Craig, very nice pictures. Put an "elsie" in there and send me an article.
Thanks David and Gil.
Olde English Pheasant Shoot with Parker DH 10 gauge (with new replacement barrels from a NH 10 Gauge) With my oldest son

Released Mallard hunt. Used LC Smith 12 gauge with Rio Bismuth.

Mills, great picture of Mills III, love the bow tie. I see Harry is right at home holding the duck.
What is that green stuff in the background?
It is some kind of a hedge
Mills, I was saying green stuff, because everything around here is brown. The only green stuff we have is rhododendron and mountain laurel.
Lots of stuff stays green around here through the winter.
Ky grouse with my 28ga flues
Originally Posted By: Mills
Olde English Pheasant Shoot with Parker DH 10 gauge (with new replacement barrels from a NH 10 Gauge) With my oldest son

Nice looking lad indeed. Hope Santa brought a new pair of trousers- the right length perhaps--

Original wood on my buddy's gun with my faux marble cake paint. Homeless joe's Scott

The ducks all came from the court house concrete pond...that was closed on New Years.
Hi all, well this will be my last post on this thread with pictures. Our upland season end this Sunday, but there is a bad system coming in that will dump 3" to 6" of snow, high winds and zero to below zero temps. I decided to go out with my old faithful girl Duchess who is now 13. I have a hunch this will be her last hunt, so I wanted to go out with her for one last hunt, just me and her. She did not disappoint. I was able to limit in 1hr 20min. Heck after the last bird, she pointed 2 more. I hope she can go next season, but she's slowing down, still has the fire, but the body is getting old. I want to thank the good Lord and St Hurbert for another safe and successful season!!! BTW, I was using my 12ga Siace 350G.

Best to all!

Greg

Not a this year's bird, but last January's. Took a pair of blacks on the L'Anguille R. in Arkansas and got it to my taxidermist in March. Picked it up just before Christmas. Thought some of you might like to see how it turned out. I am very pleased.

Cheers, SRH
You never know Greg. The old girl may have some hunts for next year left in her. Good Lord willing.........
first hunt of 2015. the Mag 10 Swats s Swan.
Originally Posted By: buzz
You never know Greg. The old girl may have some hunts for next year left in her. Good Lord willing.........

Thanks buzz for the kind thoughts! Sure hope your right. Have a wonderful New Year!

Best!

Greg
GMCS Cool !!!
You sent me looking

Tundra Swan Permit
The Department will issue no more than 600 swan hunting permits.
Hunters are required to complete the accompanying tundra swan hunt questionnaire and return it to the address listed on the questionnaire at the end of your hunt. Those who fail to return a completed questionnaire by February 15, 2015 are ineligible for future drawings.

AWESOME !! What gun, load, stuff, tell me all, THANK YOU
Mike
Mike that's a Ithaca mag 10. I loaded 1 and 3/8 #3 Nice shot. You can load over 2 ounces but the 32 inch barrels and very tight chokes Patterned so good at long ranges I went with it. I did have BB 2 ounce back up in the left barrel but the right full choke stoned him.
Yeee Hawww, Thank you,
I really like my Ithaca 10 but mine is under 500,000.
I even took mine dove hunting once this season smile
Mike
I was standing in a flooded Ditch with water above my waist and I believe that heavy monster of a gun was driving me down in the muck. It would be my last choice for a dove gun. If I go back there next year I will bring a bale of straw to put down in the water to sit on
GMCS
Taking a swan with an old double 10 ga is an astonomicable feat. Well done!
Up to this point it has been nothing but a 20 gauge season for me. This weekend I shot a lightweight 1930's Belgian guild gun.

Willy the Wirehair doing what she does for a living. Me doing what keeps me living. Oh, the gun; a sleever E.M.Reilly 12ga boxlock extractor...Geo

Today I shot something other than a 20 gauge gun for the first time this season. According to a letter I have from Cogswell & Harrison this 16 gauge gun was completed on Jan. 21, 1914. Every year on or around that date I take it out for its annual birthday hunt.

Skip, the old girl does just fine at a 100. Gil
Gil, I hope to be doing as well at that age.
Here are couple pics from our family Christmas quail hunt at the lease.

Me and my siblings.... yeah I have a big family (and one little sister is missing)!

I try to take first-timers often. One of these boys you may recognize from a previous post where I shared a photo of his first bird. His 2 brothers also wanted a taste so I obliged. We moved 4 coveys that morning and picked up a good bag of birds.

Yesterday's hunt started off slow and I was a bit worried for my 3 guests who drove from Atlanta (north Georgia) to join me at our lease (in South Georgia). The first two hours only produced one covey and it got up wild. But in the last hour the dogs pulled through and we moved 3 more huge coveys. The total tally was 3hrs, 4 coveys, and 8 birds. Our shooting.... well, it was pretty sorry! We had a blast!

Got beggarweed?

I used my AYA 28ga and my buddy left behind his Arrieta 16ga sidelock to use his newly purchased S&W Elite 20ga.

We also quite a variety of dogs... 2 Britts, 1 Setter, 1 Pointer, and 1 Musterlander.

That looks like soooooo much fun Adam! I'm from Indiana and we have those stick tights too. Your family is very handsome! May I ask descent (heritage) ?? Italian, Scot, English, Greek? Not prodding, just interested. Buzz
Absolutely Buzz! My dad is Irish/Scottish and my mother is Panamanian/Spanish/Chinese/English..... so quite a variety there! Guess you can say we're mutts!

And I dont mind those stick-tights... beggarweed is one of quails favorite foods.

And you're right, it is a blast!
Adam
In north Georgia we always referred to those "stick-tights"/beggar weed" seeds as "beggar lice"; for they are, after all, just about as difficult to remove from dog hair and clothing as the genuine article. Always enjoy the pics, by the way; so don't ever become weary of posting.
I always enjoy the pics in this thread! What impresses me the most about Adam, is not just seeing a successful young hunter, but one who shares that with other young hunters. Not much makes me happier than seeing the look on the face of a first time bird/deer, hunter or fisherman. Take someone hunting and introduce them to a lifetime of enjoyment!
Got back home from hammering mallards on the L'Anguille R. in St. Francis Co., Arkansas and took my oldest grandson, Jackson, this morning to a pond on the farm. He killed his first two ducks ever, a woodie and a gadwall. I couldn't have been prouder if they had been banded blacks.

All the best, "Papa" grin
He's a fine boy, Stan. Is that the pond over at "the camp"?
JR
That's it, John. I apologize for the 390 he's holding, but I didn't have any NonTox for his 20 gauge S x S.

Wish I had pics to prove it, but on Wednesday morning in the flooded timber in Arkansas I was using my 30" BSS and 1 1/4 oz. of steel, Rio Blue Steel, and made a double/double (for lack of a better phrase) on mallards. A group of about 12-15 worked into the dekes. I took a drake with the right barrel and, as he was falling, swung to the left on another drake. Just as I dropped the hammer on him a hen crossed in front of him and the left barrel dishragged them both. Three for two helps your shooting average, huh?

SRH
Stan, I'm guessing yor grandson was plenty happy enough with a 390. Very good guns in my opinion. Especially for a kid shooting heavy duck loads. When I was young I hunted ducks with baby mag #4 lead shot. What a duck load! I guess steel has made a difference with the environment, but the old lead duck loads were awesome.
They absolutely were, buzz. I killed many a duck with lead, 7 1/2s for woodies and teal, and 6s for big ducks. They still use lead in Argentina for ducks. Lead shot, baited with corn, limit of 60 ............. shocked

SRH
Stan. I made a mistake above on the 390. Just at a glance I thought it was a 303. All those Beretta semi autos are nice guns. I really like an 1100 for skeet shooting, too. I'm not much of a duck hunter anymore so I haven't kept up on the steel issue enough. So, has steel really made a difference with environment, # of ducks & other wild fowl, and do you as a dedicated duck hunter see the/or any benefit with steel? Interested in your opinion.
Ducks dying from lead shot ingestion was waaaay exaggerated. There were "hotspots" in some areas of the country that received a lot of gunning that may have needed steel shot to alleviate the problem, but it was never the problem that Tom Roster, NWS, et al hyped it up to be. Sad story they spun, with plenty of anecdotal but unproven evidence.
JR
Buzz, I don't pooh-pooh the scientific data that screams against lead shot for waterfowl. There is probably a lot of truth to the claims of death due to lead ingestion. However, I have my doubts that there was as much death to lead ingestion, all over the U.S., as was found in certain places. Was steel shot a good idea, IMO? Probably so. With the loss in nesting habitat, ducks need all the help they can get to maintain populations. Steel shot wasn't worth a continental damn for several years following the lead shot ban. Today is different. Most steel loads now are good. Some are real good.

Has steel shot made a difference with the environment? I seriously doubt it. Has it made a difference with waterfowl? Probably so, in some indeterminable amount. Again, JMO.

SRH
You make sense to me Stan. I'm glad the steel shells are good now. Change always seem difficult at 1st. Thanks for your response.
Stan, Jackson won't ever forget today--and neither will his granddad. Gil
Great pics - looks like Markover. Great spot!
The State of Ga began stocking resident Giant Canada Geese a number of years ago. Finally they stopped when the State seemed saturated with birds and opened the season practically anytime a hunting season was in and set a high daily limit to offset the over supply.

I've shot plenty of Canadas in Saskatchewan, but never taken one in Ga. The one below killed today is my 1st. A wild flock nooning in a cypress pond in the back of a pasture. Pincer movement and a fluff shot at tree top level with my Fox Sterlingworth Pin Gun using #4 Bismuth 1 1/4oz.

Well done George!
I'm curious what a warm region Canada tastes like.
Do let us know!
The subject of non-toxic shot came up a few of the above posts. Unfortunately because I was also shooting ducks this weekend I had to shoot snipe with steel shot this time. I rarely use this 20 gauge 101 for snipe any longer and it was the first time in five years I shot it. Steel shot isn't recommended in any double gun I own. Now I've gotten my waterfowl fix and I can get back to shooting lead.

I like that last photo: should be titled "Swamp Thing"! (On the other hand, the birds and the 101 are downright handsome!).

Great post!!!
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Well done George!
I'm curious what a warm region Canada tastes like.
Do let us know!

I'm kinda wondering the same thing!...Geo
Skip, nice wood on the 101. Fine bag of waterfowl, too.
Geo, you didn't bait up those geese on golf club lawn clippings and pesticide infused mole crickets, did you? wink
Geo, you didn't bait up those geese on golf club lawn clippings and pesticide infused mole crickets, did you? wink

Nope. Wild flock in farm country (there ain't a country club in Berrien County). Spotted'em nooning in the back of a pasture after feeding in a peanut field. No mole crickets involved!...Geo
A peanut fattened goose?
That'll be something unique.
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
A peanut fattened goose?
That'll be something unique.

Its just a "Southern Thing"...Geo
Geese love to forage in harvested peanut fields, dang nasty things, eating up my dove food. cry

SRH
Originally Posted By: Mike A.
I like that last photo: should be titled "Swamp Thing"!

Thank you Mike. "Swamp Thing" is an apt title. i feel like I spend as much time in the water as on land.

Skip, nice wood on the 101. Fine bag of waterfowl, too.

Gil, those ducks are tricky. In a bag of six we can only have three woodies and two bluebills. With redheads and bluebills and mixed together I have to be careful to only shoot drakes to keep from accidentally messing up. Anyone that can tell the hens apart in the fog at sunrise has better eyes than me.
Stan, did you get a chance to use your 32" BE on ducks in Arkansas this season?
Jim
No, Jim, I didn't. I had some bismuth loaded up for it but the ducks were so wary, it being so late in the season, that I realized the shots would be a bit longish and I used a 3" chambered S x S to do the work. I could have killed a few with the BE, but decided discretion was the better part of valor.

It will be ready for the early season this fall. Would like to pattern the bismuth in it before actually making meat, anyway. I did kill a pile of doves with it though. Thanks for asking.

SRH
Season ends tomorrow. We had a good day today.
Dang, GLS, I'm afraid to ask what happened to the buttstock on that gun. Mercy...
JR
GLS, is that a "Turner" stock double? I have seen that style of stock done to remove as much wood as possible to get total gun weight down to featherlight levels. The last one I saw was marked Turner and have to be just over five pounds which was about what my 2" weighted at the time.
John, it's a Thomas Turner Lightweight 12 made between 1875-1887 on a Westley Richards action. He specialized in making lightweight 12 gauges by scalloping the stock and shortening the forend in an effort to shave weight. 6 lbs., 1 oz., 28" Damascus barrels.
Wow. New to me. Thanks.
JR
Crane season ends tomorrow in Texas, so one of the lease members and I made sure to get out and do battle with the B 52's of the bird world. Smart, mean, and fast learners:

That is what I thought. Turner made lovely wands. The one I held was a lightweight wand which had good balance and would have been a delight to carry. Not so much fun to shoot a hundred clay targets or live birds. Its weight may have been more towards six pounds than five as I did not have scales with me to check it with, but it was a very trim gun in all ways.
Wingshooter, we shoot a few Sand Hills in Saskatchewan every year. Our favorite name for them is Flying Sirloin. Good eating! Glad to see you guys are taking a few as well...Geo
Gil, glad to see that your Turner is shooting to suit you. Cool gun!...Geo
Wingshooter, we shoot a few Sand Hills in Saskatchewan every year. Our favorite name for them is Flying Sirloin. Good eating! Glad to see you guys are taking a few as well...Geo

Do you do it over deeks? Most of our encounters are high pass shooting, unless they are coming in late morning to their loafing area in the ankle deep spring - fed water that stands on the SW part of our lease. One guide we know of uses only full body taxidermy mounts- says they're too smart and have been hunted too much for two dimensional sillouettes or other simple decoys to work. That sure was my experience, kinda like women- one look and they are outa here.

A great adversary, and even better eating- as you know.

Mike
Mike, we just shoot Sandhills when they fly by. Some guys have decoys and set up specifically for the big birds. The white Whooping Cranes migrate and feed along side the Sandhills every year, resulting in the closure of whole blocks in which they are known to be present.

You mentioned 'mean'; don't stroll up to a wounded one and try to pick it up because they go straight for your eyes!...Geo

P.S.: I do not shoot Sandhills any longer because I've decided that they are "Spirit Birds". I warn all the folks I hunt with never to look a wounded one in the eye because the bird will steal your soul. I however have no problem with eating them.
I had to dig this thread back up from the bottom of page 2. Only one more week left in my season and then it will be time to terrorize the bass, redfish, and seatrout again. This past weekend and the previous one I carried a well used 20 gauge Zabala. It was a gun that was given to me by my stepfather during a visit at Thanksgiving to field test. It is from the estate of his friend that recently passed away. I spoke about the gun briefly in a thread that I started. I decided to finish off my season with it so I will also carry it with me next weekend for my season finale.

Thought this one turned out pretty nice. 28ga flues.

Saw this at the 16 gauge forum site, poster DAP. Great photo "Flues and Fans". Dap has been saving his fans from grouse. The 16 gauge Flues is 100 years old.
We are still quail hunting in Texas (eat your heart out, New England). Here's a wild bob with my Parker DH one frame 12 from last week.

That is beautiful, Gil. Thanks for posting the pic.

Is that one different fan a "grey phase" ?

SRH
That's just not fair. There is 4 feet of snow in my front yard in Massachusetts. And I'm not joking. Drifting to 6+ feet. Jealous! Several of us at work are all arguing with wives who want to move south this year owing to the insane amount of snow - and another storm coming on Thursday!!! Enjoy it while ya got it - climate change may bring 8' of snow to Texas next year!!
Saw this at the 16 gauge forum site, poster DAP. Great photo "Flues and Fans". Dap has been saving his fans from grouse. The 16 gauge Flues is 100 years old.

Hey, I know that gun, and that guy, and his dog Jackson!

Doug is a great guy and a very dedicated 16ga shooter/grouse hunter/setter guy.

This was his 31L in this picture I think was posted by myself somewhere in this thread.

Joe Wood,
Very nice photo.

Can we carry this thread into 2015?

Apologies for the poor phone picture, which does not to the gun justice, it was taken in haste while shooting some very sporting wood pigeons coming in to roost.

Better picture

Finally got around to deciding which was my favorite pic this past season.....one of those soft September afternoons at our pond when the mourners were flocking to the mojo decoys with abandon. One of those times when I was holding my mouth right, the moon was in the correct phase, angels were smiling and I undoubtedly kept my head down and the barrels moving. Nice workout for the 21 16 gauge. I'm probably prejudiced, but I'd rather shoot(at?) Texas doves swarming a waterhole than any other game bird.

"I'm probably prejudiced, but I'd rather shoot(at?) Texas doves swarming a waterhole than any other game bird."

You are, but being a lifelong dove shooter myself, I understand completely. wink

Nice pic, Gary. SRH
Gary, the 12th man seems to be missing from underneath the hat. wink Gil
Gary, you will not get the least argument on the joys of Dove hunting from the GA boys here...Geo

Doves are just another proof that God loves us.

SRH
Turkeys on the other hand are the work of the devil. wink Gil
Thanks for the kind words....the 15th dove was somewhere in that pile. I agree wholeheartedly on turkeys...I don't know about the Georgia species, but the Texas turkeys are the spawn of Satan..you will consider slashing your wrists in frustration with these shysters. Surprisingly, we have a town not far from here called Turkey; birthplace of Bob Wills and western swing. Looking forward to April 1st.
I would bet Bella has the 15th bird hidden away smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jxu4RChDtc
Respect the game we are taking. A garbage can?

On the Southern Rolling Plains of West Texas we are having our Best Quail year since '06-'07

This pair of Bob's taken last weekend, We are entering the Final week of the season......I plan on giving the setters plenty of exposure on any favorable weather day right up to the end on the 22nd....
Fourteener54
Mark, you lost me, what garbage can??
Mike
Sorry about the "big " pic gents, the re-size did not take, even though the preview appeared to do so.....
I received the Perazzi stock back. Thx. How come there aren't 2 triggers on that FANCY Fabbri?
Mel, are you referring to my BWT pic on page 1?

I hate to disappoint anyone, but I use galvanized cans here on the farm for the animal feeds. Vermin proof. Neatly hold 100lbs of feed, and accompanying scoops.

I plucked those Teal, roasted them, and served them with Cumberland sauce.
AmarilloMike's tally today. Wild quail in the Texas Panhandle. Thirteen birds and none lost. Gun is a Parker 28 GH from 1907, damascus barrels. (I wasn't there but at home recovering from yesterday's journada del muerto with him).

Buddy and Ginger are the real heros today. Mike just walked up and reaped their hard work--nothing to it, especially with his world class turd hounds.

Mr. Clapper Zapper, I did not comment on any post on this thread , I think you may have me confused with a post somewhere above above mine.

Buzz, I took it as it came, concession to some physical impairments that age only complicates.....

In 40 years of exposure to Fabbri guns I recall seeing only one equipped with double triggers....

Mr. Wood , does Mike take you on Forced marches where he knows the shooting will be marginal, then return to the Honey Hole when he has you too worn out to accompany?

That is a nice , and unique 28 bore he has....and the Brits speak for themselves....
Apologies Mel5141.
You are correct, I misread the name of the last poster before seeing your beautiful quail photo. The Fabbri made me do it.

I should have written
Fourteener54.

I am so glad Texas has gotten some rain this year.
Originally Posted By: mel5141
Mr. Wood , does Mike take you on Forced marches where he knows the shooting will be marginal, then return to the Honey Hole when he has you too worn out to accompany?

Well, strange thing--that's exactly the way the story unfolded. How did you know! Yesterday it was 80 degrees, wind blowing, and dogs couldn't smell their own butts. Today high 30's, light breeze and even I could'a smelled a single from 100 yards. But I'm really privileged cause after begging he usually lets me clean the birds......
As his "shooting student" I'm sure he has you trained by now to Pick quail rather than skin them.....so much better for the table.....Good help is ever more difficult to find these days.....
Joe Wood - What is the trick to having your dogs accept booties? We're on our third Brit (9 yrs old) and none of them would take to wearing them. They either stay still or clumsily walk a couple steps and rip them off their paws.

Our need up here is to protect their paws from snow/ice getting frozen between their paw pads. Also to protect their pads from being cut when there is an ice crust on top of snow.

Mushers and similar products only go so far, boots are what's needed. I'd welcome some helpful hints on this score, believe me.
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Joe Wood - What is the trick to having your dogs accept booties? We're on our third Brit (9 yrs old) and none of them would take to wearing them. They either stay still or clumsily walk a couple steps and rip them off their paws.

Mike's dogs are French Brittanys. French Brittanys will take fashion risks American Brittanys wouldn't consider. smile Gil
Dog boots.....you have to securely place them with duct tape. A dog looks very awkward at first. They quickly get used to them when hunting. If you put them on a dog not used to them and leave them in a dog box, they are Houdini's at removing them. Put them on, immediately go hunting. The Lewis rubber dog boot is the only decent boot I've ever found. The cheapie canvas/polyester boots with Velcro are JUNK. BTW, Mike's dogs are wearing the Lewis boots. The red duct tape is very fashionable. I wrap wrist with vet wrap, put boot on over vet wrap, the duct tape the hell out of them. After a 2-3 hour hunt, take the boots OFF, or a dog's foot will swell like a balloon.
Buzz and I are pretty much doing the same thing. My dogs haven't suffered any foot swelling though.

I use the unvented Lewis boot. The vents are supposed to let the dirt out but they seem to let it in.

I hate the Lewis boots the least of any boots I have used.

The first time a dog walks with boots on it is usually pretty funny. My son had a French Brittany named Dubya that walked on his front paws for thirty seconds while kicking his back feet trying to get the boots to come off. Wish I had a video.

Ginger was sulked up as her color is hot pink but she had to wear orange because Walmart has been out of the pink.

Mel the Fabbri is not too shabby either. I really like the little Parker. It has a straight grip stock, 26" barrels, and weighs in at 5-3/4 pounds. Choked full and full. I shoot RSTs in it, 5/8oz of #9s. Fun gun. If you pluck the bird right after it is taken the feathers come right out. If you let the bird get cold it is another story. Joe does clean the birds while I de-boot, de-burr, feed and water the dogs at the end of the hunt. You would think he just completed the Seven Labors of Hercules they way he goes on about it.

Kid I assume there is a mold release agent on the boots when they are brand new. I wash them thoroughly in hot water with laundry detergent to get the presumed mold release agent off. The duct tape sticks to them much better. I think the Lewis Boot factory directions are intended to boost their sales because if you follow them you will lose the boots in no time.

Yep, Joe really suffered in Saturday's 80 degree heat. We were hunting shelter belts so he drove down the county road, parallel to us, in my air conditioned Expedition. He had hung a walky-talky around my neck and instructed me to notify him when the dogs go on point. Then he would walk the forty yards over to the dogs and instruct me to flush the birds.

Joe is right about one thing though, Buddy and Ginger deserve all of the credit for us not losing any birds. Three times they tracked wounded birds as far as 75 yards before finding, catching, and retrieving them. And Saturday, in the heat, we only lost one downed bird. As always, I invoke the Texas maxim on bragging, "If it's true it ain't bragging."

Joe thanks for posting those pictures. I sent them to him from my Iphone while I was driving back from the lease. He posted them before I got back to town. Technology continues to amaze me.
This weekend wrapped it up for snipe in Florida. As we made our way to where we were going to hunt the dog was kept occupied by the coots.

He figured if he brought this one back to land and dropped it at the edge of the water I could take it from there.

Buzz and Mike - Many Thanks for the tips and info on dog boots, and the application thereof. I'll seek out some Lewis Boots asap - it looks like we'll have snow and ice in the woods around here until June.

A 15 Bird limit of Wild Bobs on the Last Saturday of the '14-'15 Bird season yesterday...... Good conditions on the Southern Rolling Plains. Fine end to a Fine season...

12 coveys in Two and a half hours , 9:00 am 'til 11:30 am.

Had points on 11 of them and drove one covey up in the truck...
Better dog work than I can usually expect on late season birds, my shooting did NOT measure up to the Standard the Setters performed at.

I have not missed a last day of the season in Many years, BUT today the dogs and and I are by the fire while Winter shows its stuff outside, I don't want to hassle the birds today and even the Dogs would flinch at this going afield in these conditions.......
Great end to the season mel. Got to love those Setters.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I also stayed home Sunday but because of the wind. 20 to 25 with gusts to 35mph.

Mike, Mel, y'all are fortunate to have the wild birds in the numbers that you have. In two hours, I closed out quail yesterday with one great covey rise of about 2 dozen wild birds in broom straw about 2 feet high. The one bird that I saw go down was not recovered despite my two Britts best efforts. This is what I had to show for it:
Gil, don't give it up too early there; GA quail season runs through Saturday...Geo
Here's what our birds were doing on closing day. Whew! It was cold! Been a long time for us since we sat out a closer but the fireplace shore felt good.

Joe, great photo. Seems I've read stories about coveys being found frozen in formation during extreme temperature plunges. Gil
Like these? Probably died in a freezing rain. Not a pretty picture.

GLS. Thank you. That was a really funny response and quite true. My American Brittany is very conservative and refuses to wear boots. I'm still laughing!

"Mike's dogs are French Brittanys. French Brittanys will take fashion risks American Brittanys wouldn't consider. smile Gil"
Joe, that's a very cool picture. One does not get many chances to take one like that.
Oh, Daryl, I didn't take either of those photos but found them on the Internet. Sure glad I didn't see the second pic in person! Speaking of which, we have had snow recently but no freezing rain so the birds should be in excellent condition. The ones we took last Friday were still covered in fat so should be able to withstand a series of snows.....if they don't get wet.
An un-named 1926 Suhl drilling that I finished just in time to head for the Predatormasters Convention in Tucson. I repaired it and set it up with the full intentions of using it as a predator hunting rig. One ounce of NP BB's in a 2.5" 16ga hull acounted for this one. The rifle side is a 6.5x58R Sauer and very accurate, sub-Moa at 200 yards as shown.

My intention was to wind up the 2014 season last Saturday with a wild bird quail hunt. Due to miserable weather forecast and an invitation from my banker to shoot "flighted" (that means thrown up in the air) mallards that is how I ended the GA season.

Now I guess I'll have to wait three weeks for the 2015 Spring turkey season to open on the 21st, tough life...Geo
A good start in Georgia. Yildiz .410 13/16 oz. TSS #9.5; 36 yards. Heavy 2 year old.

Gil beautiful gobbler! Bobby
Nice job, Gil. The little gun strikes again.

SRH
Nice start Gil! Beautiful day in middle GA yesterday, but my turkeys just weren't biting. Rain out today. Now I'm starting to get fired up...Geo
Finally broke lucky this afternoon. Gun's a Hungarian FEG...Geo

One of my favorite turkey guns, a Remington 1894 DE grade 12 gauge with a killer pattern.
I love hunting with beautiful guns. And to think, just a dozen years ago, I used to use a Benelli Super Black Eagle with 3 1/2" loads.

Model2128Ga
Originally Posted By: Model2128Ga
One of my favorite turkey guns, a Remington 1894 DE grade 12 gauge with a killer pattern.
I love hunting with beautiful guns. And to think, just a dozen years ago, I used to use a Benelli Super Black Eagle with 3 1/2" loads. Model2128Ga

Beautiful gun and beautiful bird. I'm happy for your "redemption", M2128Ga. All that's required for it is repentance, eh? smile

SRH
Geo, good job! That bird's had a tough life running around with one longspur. Model2128Ga, that's a beaut of a bird and gun. What state was he killed? Gil
Geo, good job! That bird's had a tough life running around with one longspur. Model2128Ga, that's a beaut of a bird and gun. What state was he killed? Gil

Shot in PA. This coming spring turkey season, I'll bring out the "big gun" again, which is my Remington 1893 B grade in 28 gauge. I shot two gobblers with it last year in Ohio, one at 40 yards.

Model2128Ga
That single-shot is a slick looking gun. I imagine 28 gauge is as scarce as turkey's teeth. Gil
I like that single! I have a model 1903 12ga but mine's a take down gun with the removable hinge-pin...Geo

Good looking gun and good looking turkey

Originally Posted By: Model2128Ga
I love hunting with beautiful guns. And to think, just a dozen years ago, I used to use a Benelli Super Black Eagle with 3 1/2" loads.

Model2128Ga
For every door that closes, another opens. This guy closed my season, but the door to indoor plumbing and sleep past sunrise opened. This is the third public land bird called in with my homemade rivercane yelper in the last 12 days. Two shot, one clean miss. A swamp bird, and is as wet as a drowned rat. Came within 25 steps, with 3 gangsta’ jakes who were pleased to see him hit the deck, but maybe not as much as I.

Now that's a limbhanger.
Whew! I'll bet you're glad that's over till next March. Nice bird Gil...Geo

Good day on Texas doves with my upgraded 16 Sterlinworth!
This year. Customized Fox Sterlingworth:

This might be my favorite bird hunting photo. I took my 13 year old grandson on out on his very first hunt, a turkey hunt. He scored a nice Jake.

Our GA Turkey season ended yesterday. I was out in the woods today policing up my turkey blinds and generally getting all that paraphernalia packed up and put away till next March.

Putting my turkey things away for the year reminded me of how much I have enjoyed this thread all year. Thanks to all of you who've shared you own outdoor pictures this year. I hope we'll all have another hunting season to begin sharing next Fall!

Best to all...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com