doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jmc Polywad Shells - what's up with length? - 09/06/14 01:56 AM
Today I received a shipment of Polywad Vintager and Spread-R loads in 12, 16, and 20 gauge and to my surprise the 12 & 16 spreader loads which were ordered as 2.5" "English" shells measure closer to 2.75". The picture below shows a comparison of the spreader loads - white and blue shells in the middle of the line-up vs. a standard 2.75" (Federal) and 2.5" (Gamebore) shells on the left.

To the right of the spreaders are 2.5" 16 ga Vintager (non-spreader) and 2.75" 20 ga. Spread-R. I'm surprised at the notable differences in the lengths of these Polywad shells.. Anyone else noticed this about Polywad shells? Maybe this is how they are supposed to be?

-jmc
Posted By: ed good Re: Polywad Shells - what's up with length? - 09/06/14 01:09 PM
maybe you should ask them?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Polywad Shells - what's up with length? - 09/06/14 01:17 PM
I shoot them sometimes in my short chambered guns.Never had a problem. Never measured fired case. Bobby
What type of crimp do they have?
Posted By: jmc Re: Polywad Shells - what's up with length? - 09/06/14 03:05 PM
Bingo - spreaders have a roll crimp. Non-spreaders have star crimp. I had not considered the rook crimp aspect of fired hull length.

Best,
jmc
Posted By: jeweler Re: Polywad Shells - what's up with length? - 09/07/14 12:02 PM
the vintager 7/8 oz 8 is a nice dove load
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com