doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jeweler You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/06/14 11:58 AM
I am an early riser every morning I make coffee and oatmeal right above where the dog sleeps. I generally have to step over her and she won't move only to wag her tail when I pat her with my foot and this is every morning.Today Opening day of dove season she jumps up ready to go... at first I thought she was hungry so I dumped some food..she didn't even look at the food.... only thing I can figure is I brought home my dove gun case which is parked by the back door near where she sleeps.....Dogs are like wives... they are smarter than they put on to be...of course both are smarter than me.
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/06/14 12:33 PM
My dogs are the same way. They seem to know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun. They go nuts when I set the shotguns out, but have a different reaction when the deer rifles are set out. Both are in similar cases.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/06/14 01:08 PM
Dogs are a lot smarter than me! Bobby
Posted By: ed good Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/06/14 01:08 PM
"the more i learn about people, the more l like dogs."

- mark twain, more or less...
Posted By: Buzz Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/06/14 05:24 PM
That's a neat story Jeweler. I've owned dogs my whole life. I'm convinced they are an excellent judge of character and can sense evil. I've often wondered if they don't possess a little ESP??
Posted By: jeweler Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/07/14 02:24 AM
Buzz

I agree
Dogs can read our minds, but they don't let us know this.

Every so often though, they slip up a little - like getting a little too excited on the morning of the opener... a dead giveaway. I know - I have, and have had, some extremely perceptive dogs. It's like they took Human Psychology 202.
My setter when she sees me bringing up a shotgun from the basement runs to the front door and leans against it so she can slip out the moment it opens.

She will sit there quivering in anticipation when she senses the hunt.
my setter looks at calender and know s when its wknd ,whines when i go in basement to get my guns too!
This is true. When I was first married my wife and I lived in Toronto. I worked from home and she had a job downtown that she traveled to and from via bus. The bus stopped about a block from our home. Her arrival home at days end was pretty consistent because it followed the bus schedule and then just a short walk of less than a minute. She'd normally come in the door about 5:20.

Every day our two setters would loll about doing what dogs do when they can't hunt. At about 5:00 pm every day, they would get up and wander around a bit...get a drink or whatever. At 5:15 they would get quite antsy and then go sit beside the front door. They usually only waited a few minutes before she walked through he door.

It was like clockwork and I never said anything to them.
My neighbor owned a big bulldog for many years before the owner died. He was buried only a quarter mile from his home. As I passed the gravesite everyday, for several days after the funeral, I could see the bulldog lying on his master's freshly covered grave with his head always down, as if in mourning. A family member finally came and got the dog and took him to their home.

There is much we do not know about the bond between a dog and his master.

SRH
My neighbor owned a big bulldog for many years before the owner died. He was buried only a quarter mile from his home. As I passed the gravesite everyday, for several days after the funeral, I could see the bulldog lying on his master's freshly covered grave with his head always down, as if in mourning. A family member finally came and got the dog and took him to their home.

There is much we do not know about the bond between a dog and his master.

SRH
My old Brittney could tell by what clothes I was wearing... Hunter orange and he'd run over and jump in the bed of the truck. Camo and he would pout like a three year old cause he knew I was bowhunting. Come out in Biboveralls (My plumber uniform) and he barely lifted his head.

They say some breeds of dogs carry the IQ abilities of a 4-5 year old child. I know some very bright 5 year old kids and have had the pleasure of owning a couple of dogs that were impressive too.
A very interesting subject.
I have a yellow labrador who actually has bonded with me more than my other dogs appear to have done.
My Wife says that I favour Purdey more than the others, I don't think I do.
But here is the odd thing, I come home at various times during the day either in my own car, or I have a lift off someone else, or I walk home from somewhere. No matter what time I arrive the labrador , Purdey, becomes excited and expectant !
Sometimes my wife takes the dogs for an exercise walk without me, when I arrive home and find them gone I will often go to the woods where they will be, if I do, the dogs will turn back and come and find me ?
When I was younger and my son was in grade school through college we hunted every year in Rockbridge Co. Va.for 7days. over Thanksgiving week. One to two hours before my arrival back home on the seventh day my dog would demand to go outside and she would lay on the bank in font of our house and not move for any reason until I dove past and she would meet me as soon as I opened the door on my pickup.She did this for 5/6 yrs. until she passed on to dog heaven. Pligrim
I often wonder at them being able to tell time, so to speak. Maybe the sun means something to them in that regard. I used to take out the dogs at work, they would be sitting, waiting, at 3;30pm, I got off at 4. My lab seems to know that it's close to 11;00am, time to go. He watches for me to log off the computer. Taking a shotgun out of the safe, is a definite interest raiser. One dog I had used to go goofy, turning onto a road we hunted grouse on, it was 100mi from home, but he knew that corner, and a couple of other spots. Might be the first time in a year, but, he knew it.
Posted By: jeweler Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/14/14 05:21 PM
Talk about dog going goofie when you turn of off the road to go hunting.My land where I hunt is about thirty minutes from where I live my old lab would always sit up when we got there before I put on the breaks or anything. I always thought she smelled the neighbor's catfish ponds......but she knew we were there without a doubt...My present on knows for sure when we get to the vet. and you better have her on a leash!!!!
Every dog that I have had could read my emotions. They always knew when we were going somewhere before it was obvious to me and there is no hiding a hunting trip.
It is true; the observant dog knows what we are going to do about the same time we do. In the field, they follow from the front if you will.
The truly skilled dog person knows what the dog is going to do before the dog does.
Posted By: GLS Re: You would have to own a dog to know this - 09/16/14 10:05 PM
I once had an old tri-color Aussie. The breed is reputedly intelligent. Not Roscoe. Each morning when he made coffee for me he had to ask "cream and sugar?" when he should have known, black.
When I was a kid, my dog would be puking in the back of dad's 1950 olds, all the 100 miles from Long Island. When we turned into the road to grandpa's farm, the dog woke up and was looking out the window the last 3 miles. My last dog, my wife and I couldn't even spell the word WALK without the dog going nuts.
My wife thinks I'm nuts but I'm not and I KNOW this as a fact: my dog understands full sentences. only sometimes, only when it really matters. Yep, Gabe is smart. He ain't as smart as Ricky was, but Ricky was a genius so it would be unfair to compare.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com