doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SIXSKB Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 12:43 PM
Anyone make a reproduction "oversize" buttplate? All I've been able to find are "exact fit", not leaving any room for shaping to the stock, particularly at the toe. Want to add a 1/4" spacer.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 12:50 PM
try vintage gun grips. they have a web site.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 01:30 PM
Usually the plate is slightly oversize and has to be worked down.Bobby
Posted By: PA24 Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: SIXSKB
Anyone make a reproduction "oversize" buttplate? All I've been able to find are "exact fit", not leaving any room for shaping to the stock, particularly at the toe. Want to add a 1/4" spacer.

I refinished an early Grade A Fox stock recently for a customer and added a new reproduction butt plate with a 1/4" extension that I scratch made, as per the customers request. The reproduction butt plate was of very good quality and was oversize enough to allow trimming to size as required.

The new reproduction buttplate was purchased from N.C. Ordnance Inc., Wilson, North Carolina - 252-237-2440 - www.gungrip.com - The Remington Butt plate pictured also came from N.C. Ordnance.

I would recommend North Carolina Ordnance Inc. for any of your butt plate needs. They stock almost any butt plate required and ship in a timely fashion.

Invisible Fox Toe wood Repair:

Best Regards,
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 02:24 PM
Doug, those are some great looking stocks! I bet whoever had those done is pretty happy with how they turned out. grin

They were probably in great shape to begin with. wink LOL
Posted By: PA24 Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Doug, those are some great looking stocks! I bet whoever had those done is pretty happy with how they turned out. grin

They were probably in great shape to begin with. wink LOL

James, HOW DID YOU KNOW.....?....These two stocks were really cared for over the last 100 + years or so, I added some "as received pictures and in process" for ya...... a few extra holes & dents, farmer bolts, some pretty big cracks, some nice dents showing they were used as Jo Da Hunta would say......LOL......chipped toe on the Fox etc., etc........ and of course, the proverbial 5 to 6 quarts of old oil in each stock head (including both forends) so the cracks wouldn't squeak when you pick 'em up......LOL....... cry

As memory serves I drilled and epoxy pinned five (5) steel pins in one of them and eight or nine (8) in the other one while glass bedding the stock heads.....

=================================================================================================================

So after changing the oil and repairing a whole bunch of stuff......

Best Regards,
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 03:58 PM
That ain't stock work. That's magic. Great work, Doug.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 03:58 PM

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

Stan, I nearly threw them out before talking to Doug about them. I couldn't be happier with the work he did.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 08:17 PM
Beautiful work!
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 11:07 PM
Tried the two suggested, just not big enough, particularly the length.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/08/14 11:18 PM
How big is your butt? Have you checked out this one?
http://www.csmcspecials.com/A_H_Fox_Butt_Plate_p/pb100.htm
Posted By: PA24 Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/09/14 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: SIXSKB
Tried the two suggested, just not big enough, particularly the length.

Then most likely your stock is not a "factory" made stock as per Fox dimensions. It will be necessary to trim & fit the wood to meet the factory butt plate dimensions and refinsh as necessary.....Or buy another brand butt plate, made for a different gun, that meets the length requirement you need.

Can you post a picture of your butt plate and stock with the dimensions........?

Posted By: ed good Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/09/14 01:02 AM
pa: you do nice work.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Fox Buttplate - 09/09/14 12:19 PM
Stock is definitely factory, had never been off. The before mentioned repo's are just adequate without adding a 1/4" spacer. But not large enough to continue stock taper with the spacer. Have already shaved the literal pound of wood.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com