doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doverham A cure for the subgauge sidelock OU blues - 10/03/14 06:35 PM
I have been looking without success for a subgauge sidelock OU that did not require a second mortgage. Vintage guns configured like that are rare and priced accordingly and the modern options are also limited and pricey (Beretta SO6s, etc.). So I asked CSMC to make one for me , and they delivered a fully bespoke A-10 that I could not be happier with. It is stocked with a blank I selected and they added a horn butt plate and long trigger guard, they made a set of 29" solid rib barrels with fixed chokes set to my specs, and they nitre blued the pins and triggers. The trigger pulls are immaculate. It wasn't cheap but it was a whole lot less than the vintage and Italian alternatives.

It goes to ME with me on Monday to help frighten away some upland birds.

It looks very nice, Well done. Do Merkel do nothng suitable?
Very nice! 20ga or 28ga? Is it built on the A-10 platform? You chose well on the wood!...Geo
It is a 20 ga built on the A-10 action. CSMC has a pretty extensive selection of blanks to choose from - I could have spent a day on that task.

The subgauge Merkel OU sidelocks I have handled all were a little too close to 7lbs for my tastes.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: A cure for the subgauge sidelock OU blues - 10/03/14 07:35 PM
Very nice! Congrats! Blueing the pins and triggers was a good call.

Is that a 20 gauge frame? What kind of weight?

Thanks!
Spectacular.
Thanks. CSMC uses one subgauge action for the 20 and 28. It weighs 6.25 lbs, not bad for 29" barrels and a solid rib.

I took it for a test drive at Addieville and it is definitely a shooter. The fixed choke barrels handle very nicely.
Beautiful. The A-10 along with your double trigger Caesar Guerini make quite a nice pair. Keep us posted how it performs in Maine.
Nice! Love the wood.

Adm
Beautiful little lady, Doverham. That would work on a dove field down heah, too. The wood and the case colors are gorgeous. How did you have it choked?

SRH
Thanks for the comments. I asked for chokes that printed 80% in a 30" circle at 20 and 30 yards, so she is set up more for upland birds than high and flighty GA doves. But I will be trying her on some GA quail in a month or so. Can't wait for that trip for all kinds of reasons cool
Those chokes will kill a lot of doves. Give me a heads up when you come down and we will try to arrange for that A-10 to try some of those migratory doves. I've got a little over 500 acres of peanuts to harvest between now and then. Should be doves on some of those fields somewhere at most anytime during the late season. I'll use my 687 SP II Sporting 20 ga., and we'll make it a 20 ga. day

SRH
That is a mighty fine offer, Stan - if there is any way I can fit a side trip in, I would love to take you up on it. I miss my dovehunting days mightily, and know that you manage to get "in among 'em" (as my father liked to say) pretty regularly.
Doverham,

That is a very nice looking shotgun.

I really like the way you have it configured with the solid rib 29" bbls, long tang P.O.W style grip & double triggers.

Please give us an update after you have a case or so of cartridges through it.
Very pretty gun!
I have a 20/28 A-10 set with Rose&Scroll built on the small A-10 frame.
CSMC will also build you 20 or 28 on the 12 gauge frame.
Best small gauge o/u available today in my opinion!
I have a few boxes on doves and Sporting Clays with mine and no problems.
It has become my favorite field gun for upland birds.-Dick
Very nice wood
Posted By: btdtst Re: A cure for the subgauge sidelock OU blues - 10/06/14 10:19 PM
Splendid shotgun. Enjoy.
Thanks for the kind comments. I can now confirm that it works:

First woodcock of the season, west central ME.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com