doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 01:23 PM
...that a high percentage of them are going down the road from the original owners. A bunch of them for sale right here.

A bit sad, after reading all the excited posts here and elsewhere.

I don't buy guns every day. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a gun in a long while, although I did trade into one recently. But, it had been years prior to that since cold, hard cash left my grubby mitts for a gun. I'm pretty sure if I had ponied up for an RBL, I wouldn't have opened the box, and, without shooting it a season, or three, said, "Nope, that 'ain't for me".

But some guys have. Wonder why?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Cody Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 01:43 PM
Wouldn't be the first time someone got caught up in the hype then changed thier mind after a "sober second thought". That's how auctions work. Another possibility is that with a year plus wait time, things change in ones personal life that may make the purchase harder to justify IE, divorce, illness, loss of income, moving, bought a Boss, HH, Purdy etc in the mean time?. I dunno, just a few thoughts.

Cody
Posted By: David Furman Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 01:51 PM
Maybe it's just people who purchased it on a whim and the lure of making an instant 15-20% gain in their investment overcame their urge to keep it? Or even those who bet on this from the outset? The basic one's I've seen (which I think were sold for $2500?) are all asking over 3k.
What would you have made if you put $2500 in a CD? 5%?
Posted By: Halvey Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 02:15 PM
I'm not sure the RBL is different from any other gun purchase. Guys buy and sell all the time. I sold a pistol last week to a guy and 2 days later he ended up selling it. Funny, as he told me he originally owned that same model and regretted selling it.

For some reason the gun game is full of horse traders.
Posted By: marklart Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 02:18 PM
Perhaps some are being sold like an investment, and maybe the others didn't fit the owners well, or they had buyer's remorse, etc. Regardless, why would someone pay $3k for a gun they could have ordered new for $2.5k just months ago?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 02:37 PM
Maybe they don't live up to the hype?
Posted By: BPGuy Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
Maybe they don't live up to the hype?

That's what I thought, too. I know when I saw the finished product in person, I was disappointed in the engraving; so much so, I cancelled my order. Maybe I should have held out for my 20% profit.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 03:10 PM
BPGuy, that's the asking price not the selling price. I'd think so many are up for sale you'd be lucky to get your money back.
Posted By: jack maloney Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 03:25 PM
It seems that something more than the usual buying/selling pattern is going on. The number of RBLs coming back on the market is surprising considering that relatively few have been delivered.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 04:10 PM
I have never posted on the RBL shotgun before.
This is what I believe. These are purely my thoughts. Lots of people believe differently. I believe people are recieving what they are paying for in the lower levels.

The first 30 or so were/are essentially handmade guns to quell the noise, and get product out there that would maintain the excitement.
These guns will increase in value. and will be collector guns well into the future.
The later guns bear more resemblance to the Fausti's I looked at recently than a hand made gun. I see that much difference between the earliest pictures and the recent pictures.
The pair at my club were the early prepaid ones, and were very well made. The lower grade unit I saw bore little in common with them. I saw them months apart, so perhaps I'm mistaken.
I am also seeing a trend downward in wood quality, and an increasing level of disappointment in the purchasers of American walnut. I wondered from day one if the supply of exhibition blanks could be great enough to ensure consistancy for the run.

Perhaps I am imagining things, but those are my impressions at this time.
Flame away lads.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 04:25 PM
That's a good one Cody-They bought a Boss to hold them over until their RBL was delivered and decided to just settle for the Boss and keep it. Thanks for the chuckle!
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 06:30 PM
For me it didn't live up the the hype of "You get what you pay for does not apply to the RBL". The way it was marketed made me think it had the features of 10k gun but at 3k. When people finally got their RBLs and they turned out to be just another 3k gun, I think a lot of people jumped ship. Most guys on this board own a lot of nice firearms and are not going to be satisfied with another run-of-the-mill firearm.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 06:55 PM
There is no way to know how many RBL's were ordered or how many have been delivered unless you have been granted access to the inner sanctums of CSMC. I doubt that anyone has been accurately counting the RBL's for sale on the various auction sites, gunshows, dealers' racks and deals between private individuals. There is no way that any kind of accurate ratios or trends can be calculated. Reminds me of an Oprah show where all the girls get together and share their deepest feelings! Maybe Doctor Phil could be of help here. Of course, he may have an RBL for sale too.
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 07:26 PM
BBS is a gossip column for men. We just bitch in a differernt way.
Posted By: Salopian Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 08:10 PM
Most of the RBL's that are for sale belong to people who's medication has worked.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 08:59 PM
Dr. Phil went for the Exhibition Turkish upgrade, beavertail, case hardened receiver, and double triggers. Oprah went with single trigger, and the self opening option, everything else standard. Both ordered straight grip. Tony tried to talk her into the same program she did with the Pontiacs, but she wouldn't go for it.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 09:08 PM
A studio audience armed with RBLs -- that's a funny image!
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 09:28 PM
salopian, It appears you've lost some stars. Congratulations.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 09:42 PM
You guys sure seem to know lot about Oprah....
Posted By: Garbi Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
...that a high percentage of them are going down the road from the original owners. A bunch of them for sale right here.

A bit sad, after reading all the excited posts here and elsewhere.

I don't buy guns every day. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a gun in a long while, although I did trade into one recently. But, it had been years prior to that since cold, hard cash left my grubby mitts for a gun. I'm pretty sure if I had ponied up for an RBL, I wouldn't have opened the box, and, without shooting it a season, or three, said, "Nope, that 'ain't for me".

But some guys have. Wonder why?
Best,
Ted

Not to sound misinformed but where are all the ones for sale? I'm sure not selling mine and after my buddy saw it he regrets not ordering one. He's looking for a single trigger one, the only one I know up right now is the double trigger one at Cabelas. If somene has a ST for sale I'll let him know.
Posted By: DRM Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/29/07 11:06 PM
There are three at least right now in the DG For Sale forum, two ST's and one DT.

Take a look tonight.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 12:42 AM
Three out of thirty thousand.............hmmmmm....
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

Rob -- Not sure if you were making a joke ... but it was national headline news when she gave a brand new Pontiac something-or-other to everyone in her studio audience some time back.

Interesting ... looks like Eightbore and I both lost a star to Oprah humor?!
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:39 AM
Bob I didn't know that there were 30,000 RBL's delivered. Seems to be lots of folk waiting for their's.
Posted By: J.B. Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:43 AM
I have counted 19 for sale and 2 trying to sell a place in line. Three is the most I have seen for sale at the same time in the same place. I canceled my order after seeing the engraving and wood upgrades. I also didn't care for the fat double triggers they went to, the originals were much nicer. I am happy for those people who received their gun and were satisfied with the end result. I am just not one of them...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:48 AM
I'm guessing the number is closer to 300 than 30k
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:07 AM
One of those currently on the sale board here is said to be no. 66X. Definitely closer to 300.

jack
Posted By: gil russell Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:23 AM
BBS is a gossip column for men. We just bitch in a differernt way. Imp. Mod.

Excellent comment.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:28 AM
See.....that's what happens when we don't have those little emoticons to put in after your goofy posts. That 30K number was extremely tongue in cheek. It was originally posted on one of these BBS's that I read that there were that many orders before the first one was delivered.........I thought that might have been a tad of an exaggeration at the time.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:31 AM
You got me Bobby. Like a carp on a ball o cheese
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:36 AM
I have only seen pictures of this gun, and because I have one ordered I think I have read most of the threads. What I find interesting is that there is such a wide variance of opinion about the gun. Some people seem to be really happy and satisfied and others seem to be at the complete other end of the spectrum.

Not to be judgemental, but there also seems to be a fairly active stream of criticism from people that it appears have never seen or shot the gun. Most of this criticism seems to be focused on gun's cosmetics.

I am a hunter and I think it would be interesting to hear from the folks that are actively shooting this gun - balance, barrel regualtion, operation of ejectors etc.
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:51 AM
Chitown, I think that should read "bought it but not shot it". My tongue is in the central position.

jack
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 02:51 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight-I just routinely check out the guns for sale area of a few BBS boards, and it seems there are always a few for sale-unfired, new in box, what have you.

I haven't ever bought a gun without the express idea of firing it. None of mine remain that way for any length of time.

I have plenty of 20 gauge guns that don't see enough use as it is, so, regardless of how they look or perform, an RBL wasn't in my picture.

To those that own them, love 'em, and use them hard, I say "Bully"! But, I'm curious about those that bought into the RBL concept, and want out, for whatever reason.

To my mind, that is a story worth hearing.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

Rob -- Not sure if you were making a joke ... but it was national headline news when she gave a brand new Pontiac something-or-other to everyone in her studio audience some time back.

Interesting ... looks like Eightbore and I both lost a star to Oprah humor?!

Not from me, I don't care what you watch in your spare time and I don't play with stars.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 03:12 AM
The one RBL production gun I held in my hands, which I convinced my friend to buy, was the biggest reason I cancelled my order. I'm pretty sure I'd still be waiting for my 9-27-05 deposit order, probably for another 6 mos or longer. My concern was that the quality control had fallen apart.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:08 PM
I have no attraction to any new gun. I think the RBLs have sold on hype and machine grade quality. You still get what you pay for, there are not $3000 dollar guns with $10000 dollar quality unless you get it from an uninformed little old lady and it's 75 years old! This country is full of people with more money than they know what to do with, Tony knows this and uses it to his advantage.

For those that bought them and enjoy using them, thats great. Guys buy 1200 dollar auto's every day and enjoy them as well. I don't see myself every doing either but to each his own.

I might be more impressed if the receivers were Beretta black and the wood with more of a satin finish. Maybe the case colors would be better if there was no machine engraving. I'm just weird I suppose.

It does not surprise me to see so many for sale though.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:11 PM
I bought two of them and think for the money they are outstanding! I am a gun nut like most on this board and decided to sell one of them and did so on this board so i could buy another side by side! Bobby
Posted By: Cody Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Marc Stokeld
That's a good one Cody-They bought a Boss to hold them over until their RBL was delivered and decided to just settle for the Boss and keep it. Thanks for the chuckle!

That's not quite what I meant but if it made you smile, then I'll say that's exactly what I meant
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 01:32 PM
Chicago: A Remington 870 Express will go bang every time you pull the trigger and it only costs 300 bucks. A RBL will do the same but costs ten times more. Why would anyone pay $3k instead of $300??? The answer is, looks and balance. People are willing to pay much more for a pretty gun. But if that prettty gun does not live up to expectations then people will cancel their orders.
By the way there is an article in the new Shooting Sportsman Magazine. Lots of photos of parts, but only one of a finished gun.
Posted By: tkunz Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 04:56 PM
With all due respect IM, using the 870 as a comparison doesn't really make much sense. The RBL is not a pump shotgun. Show me a quality, brand new, light, well balanced SxS with choice of stock, forend, and trigger configuration, with choke tubes and ejectors for less than $2500.

The only thing I can think of that would come close is a Ugaretchea, and it would not have choke tubes.
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 05:05 PM
The Idea is that both guns will kill a bird. You are not comparing apples to apples, but function to function. Why pay more for something that does the exact same job, unless it has other unquantified assets, like beauty,or Grace?
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 05:22 PM
Maybe my comments were poorly stated. All I am saying is the gun has generated alot of controversy - I was sincere when I said I was not trying to be judgemental on any of the commentary that has been made over time on the RBL.

Ted: I think this was a great idea for a thread - trying to understand why people have bailed. Who knows when I get mine it could end up for sale if the cosmetics are as poor as some here feel they are. I started a separate topic on hunting with the things.

Chicago (Mike)
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 05:25 PM
The merkel model 8 was all of that for less than 1/3 of an RBL but, sadly, no longer imported.

I find it interesting how so many here brush off the $3k price tag as though it were to chump change. Lot of folks that I would consider high rollers here. It's "only" a $3k gun?

Brent
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/30/07 05:37 PM
Chicago, I think you have done a great job in your comments. Please don't misunderstand the RBL looks like a fine gun. When I was in college I broke up with a girl and to console myself I bought a Browning Citori. (I guess I should break up more often, but now I'm married, she'd take half). Anyhow, I was in hog heaven. As I got older and saw other guns I came to realize that eventhough the Citori is a nice gun, it had plain-jane wood and rolled engraving and a nice, wide monoblock seam. I came to desire finer finished firearms. I think a lot of the guys on this board own a lot of guns and the thought of another regular shotgun doesn't interest them. They are looking for something special and when the RBL didn't live up to the hype they lost interest. If you don't like your RBL, don't fire it, send it back and they will refund your money.
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 01:15 AM
Improved Mod: Thanks for thoughts and I sure understand the "getting older" part. I too lust for finer guns, but I generally have a hard time parting with the dollars. Happens on occassion.
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 02:00 AM
I'm only 35, I hope I'm not in the "Old Fart" class yet. Good luck on your RBL.
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 03:11 AM
It could be that many of the NIB/unfired RBLs that have gone 'on sale' were specifically purchased on speculation to be sold as soon as they were delivered to take advantage of the 'frustrating' backlog and all the early RBL hype...???
Many guys don't test-drive new guns.....they just like to make a easy/quick buck.........
Posted By: TJC Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 03:29 AM
I didn't see the early RBLs but did see many pics of them and thought long and hard about getting one. I wasn't in the market for a 20ga gun at the time so I eventually passed on ordering.
As recently as 3 weeks ago I saw one in a high end shop near me for sale. Not sure it is was unfired, I believe it was by the appearance and price. I think the asking price was $3995.
I have to tell ya, it didn't impress me. The wood to metal finish on the stock to receiver was not great and the butt plate looked like it was glued on and had a gap between the wood and the plate.
Not what I would want spending the $$ for one.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 05:46 AM
Try good 'ole Browning Double Automatic, or Franchi 48AL w/mod choking, you might even like it! Why this infatuation with SxS action type?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 06:13 AM
What do engineers say, "the less moving parts the more reliable the machine"
Is three shots that much better than two???
In the field I can ensure complete safety of the firearm without unloading, can a pump or an autoloader???
All the best
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Try good 'ole Browning Double Automatic, or Franchi 48AL w/mod choking, you might even like it! Why this infatuation with SxS action type?

Nobody ever said it was rational. Beauty and art are not logical or necessarily practical concepts. But, love is love whether or not it can be explained.
But, why ask such a question on this BBS? It is apparent that this board is devoted to devotees of a classic old concept. You could go onto some online Board that is devoted to old cars and ask they why not a modern one with all the bells and whistles?
Because.
Jake
Posted By: foxhound Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 11:33 AM
The whole history of RBL threads here seems strangely reminiscent of another recent American double that many lusted for, then trashed after a bit...good ol' Gold Label?
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 01:22 PM
I put the RBL and my RizziniB in the same class of guns; well made production guns with good dynamics, nice lines and costing $2.5 - $3K. I don't have the RBL in hand so I'm hoping it fits in this class.

I see customer purchased NIB Rizzinis for sale too. Trying to figure out why a dozen or so of the first 700ish guns are for sale is going to be 10-20 different stories. The RBLs for sale seem to be selling.

The RBL issue I'm not cool with is the inconsistent grading of the wood. Eightbore's long term yearning for a standard issue RBL is irritating because he's fooking right. I didn't change my order to standard wood, but that has more to do with the CFO and annual gunbudget (Use it or lose it - if $700 was credited back it'd get wasted on groceries or kid's clothes) than gunbuying sense.
Posted By: Cody Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

If you don't get, nothing anyone can say will make you "get it".
However, from a practical standpoint, how about two chokes instead of one.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 02:06 PM
The advantage of SXS is having choice of 'full patch' vs. sp in 400-500gr wt. range at 20 to 80 paces. Two triggers, "plates", and barrels add to confidence in case a spring brakes:D But, do game birds "shoot back"?
PS. You do realize that 48AL handles better then many of those old SxS clunkers?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 03/31/07 07:12 PM
You realize the barrels on a SXS don't shuffle back and forth when fired? The bolt closing on an autojammer sounds exactly like a cheap steel wheeled kids roller skate hitting concrete from about four feet up.
You will, however, be the king stud in the trailer park...
Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
The merkel model 8 was all of that for less than 1/3 of an RBL but, sadly, no longer imported.

Brent

Model 8's have crappy un-attractive wood, no ejectors, no real "options", usually had cheekpeices (some like em, so dont). With that said, I would buy a Model 8 over a brand new RBL anyday.

Dustin
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 02:12 AM
Ejectors tend to make a mess. Used to think I liked them, but have changed my mind. Gun cocks easier too.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 02:44 AM
Ejectors.
Well, I have only been on the board a rather short time. And, I bet there are paast threads aplenty on this subject. Truthfully, most of my experience with doubles until much later in life was with various O/Us most of which had ejectors.
At a fairly young age, I started saving my empty hulls. Originally, to reload but eventually because they are rather foul garbage I did not want to leave around. So, whenever I open a gun my natural move is to block the ejector function with one hand and take out the empties manually.
Ejectors are fine. And, good ones are mechanically nice to see and hear and feel when they work. But the reality is, if I let them work then I have to go chase the empties.
I can take em or leave em and, for investment purposes, they seem to be a bonus.
But, I would never pay to have them put on any kind of custom made double if I had the option. And, they are one more thing to break or get out of adjustment and have issues with.
I would be interested in hearing what other folks think about them.
Regards, Jake
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:10 AM
Unless they are Darne ejectors, someone else can have mine. Completely unneeded for my type and style of hunting, and prone to adjustment and breakage issues.

Like Bunkie Knudson said "if it 'ain't there, it can't break". Empties belong in the pocket of a hunting coat, to be cleaned out later. A Darne gets 'em out of the gun, and then you scoop 'em up, and take 'em home. Simple, polite, easy.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:16 AM
Jakearoo/Ted: Ditto for me on where spent shells belong when hunting - I carry them out.

I haven't spent time at a range in 20 years, but they might be handy there. My recollection is we cleaned up area after we were done.

Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:55 AM
Ejectors are no more reason to let a hull hit the ground than owning a fork is a reason to be fat.

I'm not extradordinarily coordinated beyond anyone else and even I can put my hand up reliably and catch the hulls at about the point where they are 3/4 or more the way out of the barrels and without even looking at them. This makes a reload simple and quick. Extractors are indeed simpler and less prone to fail. On an old gun, extractors make sense. On a modern gun of good quality, ejectors make sense. Some old guns didn't have the geometry figured out in the cocking mechanisms of ejectors or some even the hammer cocking, such that breaking the gun was a chore. Most modern guns have the geometry idealized and I for one hardly notice cocking ejectors.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:17 AM
There are times in the field or woods when I don't want to be bothered remembering what a gun is going to do with the empties-watching where a ruffed grouse is heading, after I miss with both tubes, and I'm reloading,(LOL!!) would be a good example.
But, I just don't need them. The guys who insist on doing a silly flury shoot while parading about in knickers might disagree, but, I'm really OK with that. I'm pretty sure I'll be out fishing the weekend they are doing that, so I won't make it. And, the limit on pheasants (legal) and grouse (my own) is still a brace, which, begs the question, "What's the point"?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:37 AM
I've only had one gun in which the ejectors were strong and fast enuf to prevent the skeeter catch--Aya #2. Cf. to the ejectors in any o/u they were also a pain to cock. Very easy to disable and return to operation without spring removal. I prefer the extractor. (singular). I have yet to see a doublegun with "extractors" except in the case of the disabled ejector gun.

jack
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 05:29 AM
Originally Posted By: rabbit
I prefer the extractor. (singular). I have yet to see a doublegun with "extractors" except in the case of the disabled ejector gun.

jack

Touche' rabbit!

I have a drilling (technically not a doublegun) that has extractors, one for the two shotgun barrels and a seperate one for the rifle barrel.
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:53 AM
And technically all ejectors are only lifters until one or both barrels have been fired. If you have the occasion (or Glenthornite inclination) to chamber and remove shells without pulling a trigger then all you ever see is ejectors functioning as extractors (plural). So doubleguns may have either one extractor or one extractor and one extractor/ejector or two extractors or two extractors/ejectors. Multitasking makes for some strange math as in 1X2=1 and 2+2=2. In any event, extractor doublegun got only one thingy; ejector gun got two.

Presumably the RBL works in this way unless interferred with by all the slobber migrating into the action from the 4X wood. From now on, I'm adopting new nomenclature; unijacker and hemiwhacker sounds about right. This would throw most of my old doubles into the BoxLock NonHemiwhacker category.

jack
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 09:12 AM
I thought the reason we had ejectors on our guns is because they are COOL! I guess I'm not that cool myself because it makes no difference to me. I buy the gun 'cause I like the gun and the presence of ejectors is not even a consideration.
Posted By: jerry6stl Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 10:43 AM

A gentleman that I occasionally shoot skeet with, uses a 28 gauge Remington 870 pump. His amusing trick is to always pump the action immediately after the shot (even when shooting singles), and then catch the fired case in the air with his right hand. On doubles, he only catches the second empty shell.

It is impressive to watch, and always surprises newcomers.

JERRY
Posted By: ShootingStar Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 11:07 AM
I prefer ejectors, not because they can throw hulls on the ground, but because they'll deliver the empties to my hand every time. It's the difference between having to go in and remove them manually, or the hulls magically appearing in hand and effortlessly (almost automatically) falling into my pouch.

I've conservatively put 250-300K rounds through my current clay target gun in just the last 18 years, and probably caught 99.997% of those.

The ejectors on the RBL are about my only complaint - a little too much ZAP in my opinion. Catching 'em the way I'm used to with the Krieghoff can be painful. I've now learned to just block them with the fatty part of my palm and then lift them out as with extractors.

Maybe I'll disable them someday, but probably not.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 12:27 PM
I'm with Bob on this one, all things being what they are, I'll pay the extra for an ejector gun.
Take it from the Brits, the non-ejector Sle gamegun was never much of a fav with the chappies.
So, in keeping with the gun, you must have the right tricks on it.
Posted By: grousewoods Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 01:39 PM
How many guns have you bought and got it home went to the field and fired it and just didn't like it? none wow! that's great you move to the front of the class, you know how to buy firearms. How many other guns are out there that people have spent $10,000 on and just couldn't shoot it? none you don't go out to the club much.How many people send money on there new gun after they get it home. Why are where so many newer used guns for sale? Why so many gun dealers? RBL's are not made to be a high end field gun,they are $2500 little more if you had added the extras.Tony will sell you a high end gun if you are willing to get the money out and you can take you pick! There are gun dealer that have ordered the RBL's for resale only and yes some normal people as well is that so bad? I don't think the ones that are for sale and unfired are being sold because they don't like the way it shoots it's because they had the Idea they were going to sell it for a little cash flow. If they bought it thinking that it was going to be fitted like a $10,000 gun shame on them! I have bought trucks that cost a lot more then $2500 and didn't like it 6 mos later but I keep it anyway because I would never get my money back! With the RBL if you don't like it sell it and move on life is to short to be looking back you will never get ahead! He who make no mistakes makes no new discoverys!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: BrentD

Brent

Model 8's have crappy un-attractive wood, no ejectors, no real "options", usually had cheekpeices (some like em, so dont). With that said, I would buy a Model 8 over a brand new RBL anyday.

Dustin

That's pretty funny- I rather like the wood on mine, it does not have a cheek piece (nor was it an option at the time), no ejectors is a big plus in my book, and it cost less than 1/3 of the RBL. But I'd buy an RBL if wanted a new gun. I'd have to shave down those forearms and have it recheckered, but otherwise,they look quite nice. I cannot see why people rag on them so.

Brent
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 02:18 PM
Jack's comment about the AYA #2 effort in cocking follows my experience. If the AYA copied the H&H ejector system faithfully, it makes me wonder why all the seemingly praise/respect/ooo & aaaahs for the H&H ejector system.

Frankly, all the BSS guns I've owned were easier to cock than a AYA. Maybe that's the issue, many designs of ejectors are simply not all that easy to cock because they aren't optimized designs? Having put many tens of thousands of rounds thru BSS guns, I can say I haven't felt a better cocking system in a double for both the hammers and ejectors. Where's that helmet?
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:04 PM
. . . and then there's the old historical bugaboo of things that aren't here anymore in any great quantity like hydroscopic paper shells and the fact that the H&H ejector train was likely designed to make sure they blasted out of there even if still a bit of a tight fit after the initial lift. It's funny that the G. T. Garwood "ejectors optional" setscrew in the forend body of an AyA can be tuned not only to prevent ejection but also to damp down the ejection force from the kickers. It's simply an intermediate postion of the screw. Reduces the overall effort of cocking all that sidelock wizardry.

jack
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:11 PM
Chuck:

My guess is you might need a reinforced bunker, not just a helmet.

This is off the topic of thread, but how did your Lab recover after the fatal jump? Still doing well in field?

Chicago (Mike)
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:17 PM
Quote:
And technically all ejectors are only lifters until one or both barrels have been fired. If you have the occasion (or Glenthornite inclination) to chamber and remove shells without pulling a trigger then all you ever see is ejectors functioning as extractors (plural). So doubleguns may have either one extractor or one extractor and one extractor/ejector or two extractors or two extractors/ejectors. Multitasking makes for some strange math as in 1X2=1 and 2+2=2. In any event, extractor doublegun got only one thingy; ejector gun got two.

Could you go into that in more detail?
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:31 PM
I doubt if I could, H. I could refrain from getting up at 4AM to engage in humour which misses the mark and I probably will.

jack
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 03:37 PM
Chi-town Mike,
Thanks for the tip about the bunker. Jas' shoulder recovered well and quickly. She's wanting to play with me even now I as type this. Apparently, typing on a computer constitutes ignoring her and makes me open game for her harassment.

However, I noted she began limping again in late Jan. Nothing to slow her down or even noticeable unless she's walking, and then only occasionally. 'been back to the vet several times since. Vet says her front left (opposite the shoulder issue) elbow is the culprit. Xrays last week didn't show much. Vet suspects a common developmental issue with both elbows. She's referred us to a specialist in thsi field. Apparently, one of the best in Calif. CT scan, bone scan, consultation.... it promises to be expensive. Jas is doing extremely well in the field, but the vet says this condition could be degenerative into severe arthritis if not treated.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:00 PM
[/quote]

That's pretty funny- I rather like the wood on mine, it does not have a cheek piece (nor was it an option at the time), no ejectors is a big plus in my book, and it cost less than 1/3 of the RBL. But I'd buy an RBL if wanted a new gun. I'd have to shave down those forearms and have it recheckered, but otherwise,they look quite nice. I cannot see why people rag on them so.

Brent
[/quote]

Brent,
I think people "rag on them so" because to some people, the RBL was hyped up just a little too much out of the gate. I think some people are starting to see the light. The RBL is a nice gun, but it isn't more than what it really is, a $2500 gun. Now with that said, you can buy a used shotgun for $2500 that, if made now, would cost you close to $5k to 10k in todays money. With superior fit and finish than any RBL. Thats where my money will go. When the RBL was first announced, I went to the bank, got a money order and was ready to phone in my order to CSMC. That same day I came across one of the prettiest guns I've ever seen, a pristine condition 12 bore Manufrance Ideal with finely executed English style scroll engraving (hand cut), fantastic well figured French walnut stocks, etc. The cost of that gun was $2500. If that Manufrance was made today, there would be no way I could afford a gun of that high quality, were talking a minimum of 5 digit price tag. Another example, I just finished a Cogswell & Harrison project. The Coggie was made in 1908, I had it re-stocked (to my dimensions), the engraving recut, the metal finished, etc. and the total cost was almost identical to a new RBL with a option or two....I think the Coggie is a far superior to the RBL, in looks, handling dynamics, and it comes from a firm with a storied history. The point is, there are better deals out there. But if you want a RBL, go for it and be happy with it!!!!

If you like the wood on your Model 8, fantastic! I'm just saying that Model 8's...even some 47E's came with some very straight grained, plain jane wood. I can care less about ejectors too, I have some guns with them, some guns without them. IMO, its just something else to break eventually.
Have you seen the prices on Model 8's lately? They are going up fast. Check out the Model 8 at the "Collectors Firearms" website. Not much of a price difference from a RBL :-(

Dustin
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:30 PM
Chuck: Sorry to hear about Pups elbows. My hunting buddy has a gorgeous Lab with same issues. Dog is about 6 now and still hunts well. With all visits to vet you probably have the dog on glucosamine chondroitin and Ascriptin. If not ask Vet. I use for one of my dogs with moderate displaysia on left hip, and x-rays show early signs of early artriits. He is a setter and shows no signs of either, but he is only 4.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:36 PM
Mike
Jas got on gluc/chond blend and fish oil back in late Jan. Good part is the regular vet is optimistic this specialist can treat is effectively. Jas is too good a friend, hunter, and housemate to let it go.
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:42 PM
LeFusil: No doubt you can buy a decent BSS for $2,500 to $3,500.

I have never done a "project gun" and I know many on this site have. Not doubting your numbers, but how the heck can you do a project on a Coggie, or any gun for that matter for $2,500 to $3,500? Just trying to get smarter. Did you do most of the work, including the stock, yourself?
Posted By: moving56 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 04:45 PM
Just picked up my RBL from the FFL yesterday only 17 months after sending a check for $4200+ (every option including assisted opening). Beautiful 7x turkish wood, great wood/metal fit,perfect checkering. Straight grip and double triggers with case colors make an elegant look. The case colored receiver tends towards the monotone..a little subtle for me. Innovative choke wrench works now, we'll see how it functions after the gun has been shot. Ordering Assisted opening was probably a mistake..easy opening means hard closing. I removed it and the balance of effort seems much better.
Overall worth the wait..now that it's over.
I won't get to shoot it until the weekend of April 7th due to work scheduling problems.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 05:11 PM
Gentlemen, no matter how you feel about the wait, this is the only way to buy a shotgun. The RBL is fitted to your build to your shooting style to your personal liking. I regret not ordering one as I purchased a G/L just before and with its 14" 1/4 inch length of pull it neither fits me nor does it feel right when coming up. Enjoy your wait because its that much more satisfying when it finally arrives!!!
All the best
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Mike
Jas got on gluc/chond blend and fish oil back in late Jan. Good part is the regular vet is optimistic this specialist can treat is effectively. Jas is too good a friend, hunter, and housemate to let it go.

Hope you didn't think I was questioning your course of action. Best of luck with the pup and let us know how surgery works out.
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 05:54 PM
Quote:
I doubt if I could, H. I could refrain from getting up at 4AM to engage in humour which misses the mark and I probably will.

Someone has to make the donuts or deliver the milk. We forget our debt to those early risers too.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 06:28 PM
Chuck,
Who is the guy in CA? Is he in LA? I drove my golden from Iowa to LA to see a vet about a bad knee. Turned out, thanks to the vet that the knee was fine and the ankle was simply sprained. Recovery from what the local vet school wanted to do to him would never have been 100%.

I'd trust that LA vet with my life. He's expensive and worth every penny, plus the 3600 miles of driving and 5 days off of my life on that trip. His name was Rooks.

LeFusil,
Maybe I should sell my model 8. While I generally prefer straight grain to marble cake, I also much prefer used english guns to new german guns, and the english cost about the same. The 8 also lacks hammers (a major flaw in my books). But I continue to hang on to it for some reason.

Brent
Posted By: LeFusil Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 06:39 PM
Chicago,
I bought the Coggie cheap off of gunbroker.com. The wood was bad, but the metal, action, mechanics, etc. were good to excellent, and to top it all off, the gun had new barrels fitted to it in England. Just lucky I guess, the gun itself had a low reserve, the guy just wanted to get rid of it. I bought a very nice peice of English walnut from Cecil Fredi, I found a stockmaker who came highly recommendend and was very reasonable, Mr. Ken Hurst re-cut the engraving, and Classic Guns Inc. applied the final finishes to the metal. The final cost of the project was $2800. If you can use the boards topic search feature, do a search for Cogswell & Harrison, reb87 posted pics of the gun a few weeks ago.

Dustin
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:13 PM
You got a problem with me Hansli how about stating it in the clear. I'm tired of your mouth.

jack
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:33 PM
Quote:
You got a problem with me Hansli how about stating it in the clear. I'm tired of your mouth.

No problem whatsoever, I enjoy your posts almost without exception. If I want to make a joke or two maybe you need to laugh and not react so. You are not the only one entitled to make sardonic comments here and to assume the position of bar room lout after being the witty poet for so long is a rather shocking departure from your usual. I pound nails all day, so a trip to the street doesn't bother me either. So think about it why dontcha and cool your jets.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:34 PM
Brent,
I've been referred to these guys. http://asecvets.com/

Dr Scott Anderson is who my local vet recommended. If you have another recommendation, I'd be grateful.
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Chicago,
If you can use the boards topic search feature, do a search for Cogswell & Harrison, reb87 posted pics of the gun a few weeks ago.

Dustin

Thanks Dustin, I will try the search function.

Mike
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 07:54 PM
Hansli:

Figures, couple of carpenters except unlike yourself I'm getting so puny in my old age that I need that stick nailer more than it needs me. My comment was provocative and I apologize for misjudging your intent, your physical conditioning, and the fact that we both appear to have steel wool for brains. You clearly have the advantage Sir, and I yield to your judgment.

jack
Posted By: erik meade Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I regret not ordering one as I purchased a G/L just before and with its 14" 1/4 inch length of pull it neither fits me nor does it feel right when coming up

Wanna sell that G/L?
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 08:08 PM
Jack,
Similar poles repel each other. It is a simple misunderstanding and we're both okay. Let me dust your coat off and buy you a beer.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 08:24 PM
Beer???? whoellbuyaround?
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 08:43 PM
You too, Chuck, c'mon.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne

Take it from the Brits, the non-ejector Sle gamegun was never much of a fav with the chappies.
So, in keeping with the gun, you must have the right tricks on it.

Yes Lowell, but didn't the chappies have two guns and a loader to insert fresh charges into the waiting chambers and later to pick up the empties? In these later times do you use those clever ejectors and then chase the empties yourself or block their use with your hand then into the waiting pouch? Jake
Posted By: rabbit Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 10:31 PM
We may yet have that beer sometime if we can all get to the same location. Again, sorry for being an Ahole about nothing.

jack
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 10:58 PM
Ahole? Somebody say Ahole? I'm here!!!

Anyway, Jake, Lowel has always missed the point most important to note on those fine English guns he has handled-they are, alas, here, and not in England.

He needs an ejector gun for his crows, turkeys, and ducks not in the least more than I do, for my grouse and pheasants. Nothing driven about our hunting, save the vehicle we use to get there.

You can pretend you are a nobleman, or landed gentry in England, but, it is true what they say-you can never return home, especially if you happen to be an English sidelock gun.

Wish a few more turned up, in lefthanded form, hold the ejectors, please. Did I mention I'm cheap?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/01/07 11:41 PM
Well timed ejectors are part of having an English gamegun, period, here or there. If they're not your piece of cake - the world is over-flowing with all kinds of non-ejectors for you to puck 'em out yourself fun.
Btw, the last nail pounder we didn't hire, looked as tho he hadn't had a hot meal all winter long!

Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/02/07 01:10 AM
Sounds like more labor unexploited by the friend of the masses. I hope some nice warm rook pie put some meat on his bones before he went on his merry way. Poor starving devil.

An interesting contribution nonetheless.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/02/07 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Wish a few more turned up, in lefthanded form, hold the ejectors, please. Did I mention I'm cheap?

I too shoot from the left. In theory, the left handed ones should be a steal, no market. Alas, it ain't so. Unfortunately, not cheap nor prevalent. Jake
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/02/07 02:20 AM
Sorry Eric its already sold, I sold it to pay to have my Arrieta restocked!
All the best
Posted By: Okoboji Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/08/07 04:19 PM
Moving56:

Do you think the upgraded wood was worth the money? I have an order in that they haven't start making yet - thinking about an upgrade on the wood.
Posted By: Chicago Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/08/07 11:25 PM
Okoboji:
If you go to the "doubles for sale" on this site you will find a number of RBL's with upgraded wood. They should give you a flavor of whether or not you feel it is money well spent. I think most of those for sale have had the exhibition wood and one with Claro 3x.

Chicago (Mike)
Posted By: moving56 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/09/07 05:58 PM
First round of skeet was a winner, only forgot to turn off the safety once and grabbed the wrong trigger once. Positive comments from my fellow shooters. Going to shoot it in a Calif. sxs meet at the end of the month 100 rounds split into wobble trap, skeet and five stand. It'll be interesting to hear the comments of that group. Overall I'm pleased with the investment.

Paul
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: RBL-It occurs to me... - 04/10/07 04:38 AM
I don't understand you guys, we talk about how good or bad the new Turkish built guns are, we complain about the demise of the Japanese built doubles, Browning BSS and all, and yet we have doubles being built right here in this country for a reasonable price. The Ruger red label is an excellant choice and offered in all bores, except the 16, I think I can live without a 16 gauge because they build a 28, and a nice one at that at 6 1/2 lbs. Ruger offers the Gold Label a sweet little number and now we have the RBL!!! These are all American built and by that I mean they are built strong and can withstand anything you want to dish out to them just like the old Parkers and Sweet Elsies and Dan Lefevers!!! Now granted they are not works of art like an English/Italian game gun but they can take anything you want to stuff down their tubes and for a lot less!!!
We will never have the "Golden Age" back the pumps and autoloaders did them in as well as give us government regulation, game commissions and daily bag limits!! That's about all J Browning and his crew did for us if you think about it!!!
But we have enough to satisfy even the most demanding of shotgunners, and if you want a work of art buy a new M21 or Fox from CSMC!!!
All the best
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com