doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bbman3 trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/23/14 07:25 PM
Need to buy one and should I get clip on spring steel or screw on type? I do not want to damage finish on guard.Will clip on stay tight? Thanks,Bobby
Posted By: skeettx Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/23/14 07:57 PM
I use an EAR ear plug cut down from top to bottom and then the new flat edge i put against trigger guard and then securely taped.

Helps to put them in the freezer for a time before you cut them in half smile

Or you can spend big money and get a "store bought" one.

http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=49

http://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=50

http://www.csmcspecials.com/Trigger_Guard_Rubber_Corners_p/corner.htm

Mike
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 02:58 AM
Get the screw on one; the slip on ones don't stay put and are a waste of money. I'd get a "store bought" one if it were me; they look a lot better on a nice gun, and 15 bucks or so doesn't seem like big money, considering wink. Mark's Born Again Bird Guns has a good price and good service.
Posted By: Nigel Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 04:24 PM
125 rounds through a 12-bore SxS with no finger bumper!
Posted By: bbman3 Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 05:19 PM
Nigel you are a better man than me!!! Thanks to everyone for the info.Have a great Thanksgiving. Bobby
Posted By: redgrouse Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 07:36 PM
May I respectfully suggest your stock is too short.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 07:52 PM
Originally Posted By: redgrouse
May I respectfully suggest your stock is too short.

Stock length may be the usual culprit, but some guns with the same LOP hurt my middle finger and some don't. I think the trigger guard shape has a lot to do with it.

For what it is worth I use the screw-on Galazon bumper on the offending guns and it works for me...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/24/14 08:05 PM
I have never had a bruise from the trigger guard in my life. And I have rather small hands for a man. I dunno .

Is it one particular gun, Bobby?

SRH
The problem may be in the position of thumb hole (where the stock rises from the hand to the comb), rather than in the length of the stock.

If the thumb hole is set too far forward, your hand is going to sit too close to the triggerguard. Pull the trigger, get a bruise.

If the thumb hole is set further back, your hand will be set back from the guard. Pull the trigger, you won't get a bruise.

I'm not sure what the thumb-hole-position length is called, but I know it can make a big difference in how well the gun fits.

Of course, if you have meaty paws and stubby fingers, I'm not sure what you do...

OWD
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/25/14 02:23 AM
Michael Yardley, I believe, once wrote that a pistol grip that was shaped smaller at the top than at the bottom would allow more slippage in the hand under recoil. Seems this could contribute to that problem. He said that the grip should stay the same diameter from top to bottom or get slightly larger at the top to prevent this slippage.

SRH
Posted By: bbman3 Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/25/14 11:09 PM
The Weston 410 I just bought.Grip is so small,short fingers and LOP could be longer. Bobby
Posted By: Buzz Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/25/14 11:26 PM
[quote=bbman3]The Weston 410 I just bought.Grip is so small,short fingers and LOP could be longer. Bobby [/quote. Bobby; I looked at that gun too. It was likely made for a child with 13 3/4" LOP. If that was my gun, I'd open up the thumb hole and add an extension and turn it into a man's gun. As is, I could shoot that gun better from the hip than the shoulder. Make it shootable for yourself and I'm guessing you will be happier.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/25/14 11:37 PM
Bobby,

If you suspect the short LOP is part of the problem, slip a Kick-Killer leather pad on it and see if it helps. It will add 1/2", and you can make that more by putting "shims" inside it before putting it on. As you probably know, I use them on most of my doubles. Cabela's has 'em.

SRH
Posted By: bbman3 Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/26/14 03:28 AM
Thanks to all for the ideas. Bobby
Posted By: Replacement Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 11/26/14 03:49 AM
Or it could just be a goofy trigger guard design, like the sharp-cornered castings on the early Super Black Eagle with the triangular safety button. Bumpers don't fit that guard, but Benelli will send you a different safety button.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 12/01/14 03:13 AM
I have a 12 gauge Baby Bretton that weighs about 5 pounds. With light 65mm shells it bumps the hell out of my finger. None of my other guns do that. It was bad enough that I couldn't make it through one round of skeet. Great gun for grouse where there is a lot more hiking up hills than there is shooting. I need to get one of those bumper pads.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 12/01/14 03:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Bobby,

If you suspect the short LOP is part of the problem, slip a Kick-Killer leather pad on it and see if it helps. It will add 1/2", and you can make that more by putting "shims" inside it before putting it on. As you probably know, I use them on most of my doubles. Cabela's has 'em.

SRH

I use a Galco leather pad and it did not add enough LOP on several of my guns so I cut a piece of 5/8" thick backpack sleeping pad foam to fit inside the Galco leather pad. Together they add a about 1" LOP and this works well for me.

If you need enough of this foam to fit inside a Kick-Killer or Galco pad PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 12/01/14 05:58 PM
I put on a lace up 3/8 inch depth leather pad and it fixed the problem.Thanks,Bobby
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: trigger guard finger bumper ? - 12/02/14 01:38 AM
Good deal. Glad to hear it, Bobby.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com