doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Small Bore New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/26/14 10:30 PM
Have a look at the Hot's website. They have introduced a new feature.

I have found in the past that clients get confused about the total cost of a gun when calculating commission, VAT, import VAT and whatever else may be pertinent.

Well, Holt's have introduced an automated solution. All you do is click on the lot you are interested in, the page comes up, you look at teh photos and read the description. Look to the lower bit of the page and you have two calculator options.

1 = Total Price Calculator
2 = Maximum Bid Calculator

With the first, you put in the bid you want to put on and it tells you how much you will actually have to pay.

The second option enables you to put down your maximum spend and it tells you what to bit up to.

Looks very simple and works nicely. Makes everything transparent, which has to be a good thing!.
Posted By: Birdog Re: New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/26/14 10:47 PM
Now that is a welcome feature that will be put to good use.
Posted By: Dr. P Re: New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/27/14 12:58 AM
I think this is a great new tool.
Now my question is, do others on the board have a feeling as to the integrity of the online bidding process of placing a maximum high bid. Is Holt's (and other auction houses) trustworthy to not bid up to the max online bids they are holding? I believe sites such as eBay protect this process but am unsure about the live gun auction houses. Does anyone have sufficient experience here to comment in this regard?
Posted By: GLS Re: New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/27/14 01:33 AM
I can't comment on the gun auction houses, but a friend who is a dealer in high dollar collectibles has advised me to have someone on the floor to place the bids and observe the bidding. Gil
Posted By: Goillini Re: New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/27/14 01:47 AM
I agree having someone bid in person is the way to go. I recently placed an online bid for a very fine Arrieta shotgun several days before the live auction. The gun sold for an amount equal to my max. bid but I didn't win it and was told I lost because there was a tie with a live bidder at the auction.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: New Price calculator at Holt's - 11/27/14 02:56 AM
I have had good success joining the auction by phone. For Bonhams and Holts I've never had any thought of an unfair process. Small Bore represents commission clients at auctions if you need a known representative on site - none better!

DDA
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com