doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: arrieta2 Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 09:07 PM
Once again a wife kills a gun sale. A guy calls, asks for more pictures, more details, speak to him twice and says he wants it. Then, he has to ask his wife and she says no he can not buy it.These kind of guys who have to ask their wife for permission should do that ahead of time and not waste the sellers time asking for more pictures and lots of other details. They need to get the ok from their wife before they play with guns.

I find this happens more with the cheaper guns, under $1500 and with most being under $1000.

So for the guys who need permission, they need to make sure they are allowed to have it ahead of time!

John Boyd
Posted By: skeettx Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 09:10 PM
smile
Yup, sure is an irritation !!
That is why YEARS ago we set up a "gun fund" and a "fun fund".
Mine was gun and her's was fun.

No permissions needed, we are both adults, and no impact on family funds.

The ONLY question allowed is "Where are you gonna put it?!"

Mike
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 09:24 PM
the last two i bought, i almost passed on, but she said, will you shoot it, answer is yes,

well then if you like it, buy it
Posted By: Dave K Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 09:25 PM
You got right sub 1000 and they back out more then the more expensive ones.I had a guy send me the check then call and tell me his wife said no that I should rip it up.
Posted By: James M Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 10:25 PM
I have had a separate gun buying fund for many years. There's never been a problem in my household.
Jim
Posted By: terc Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 10:35 PM
I think they may be a way out for some guys with cold feet. It's easy to blame someone else.
terc
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 11:04 PM
If I had to ask, it would be time for a new wife.
Guys that have to ask are either irresponsible or split tails.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 11:42 PM
ithaca1
Welcome to the site
Sure was glad that I was NOT drinking coffee
I snorted when I read your post
Mike
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/10/15 11:47 PM
And then there's the guy who's wife demanded a like amount of money for every gun that he bought. Years ago I walked in the front door with a shotgun and foolishly said, "Jeanine, I bought you and new shotgun." She will let me shoot it if I ask.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 12:14 AM
Don't ask, don't tell. I am however very tricky about sneaking'em in the house!...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 12:23 AM
Marry the right woman to begin with and all this is someone else's problem.

SRH
Posted By: GregSY Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 12:35 AM
I had a guy back out of a deal - even after I had his money in hand - on account of his wife wouldn't let him buy another gun etc. So I sent him his money back.

Next week, I saw him back on the site asking about buying some other gun. I just decided to refer to him as 'Richard Noggin' from that point on.
Posted By: ninepointer Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 12:51 AM
I don't buy guns. However, when left alone in the dark confines of a gun safe, mine tend to procreate.
Posted By: eeb Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: terc
I think they may be a way out for some guys with cold feet. It's easy to blame someone else.
terc

Bingo
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 01:15 AM
SkeetTX,
Thanks for the welcome. I use to visit this site daily 8 or 9 years ago, then I got into LR rifles. Time to get back into shotguns.

Ithaca1
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 01:35 AM
When I married, three decades plus ago I made one strategic correct decision, no joint accounts, ever. My wife who is a doctor keeps her money in her accounts and I do so in mine. No joint accounts, no bickering about who spent what. I pay for my bills, pay for agreed house bills and my wife does the same. We have never argued about money or who spent what on what they wanted. Kids get taken care of, house is warm and comfortable and the gun room is full. Life is good.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Once again a wife kills a gun sale. A guy calls, asks for more pictures, more details, speak to him twice and says he wants it. Then, he has to ask his wife and she says no he can not buy it.These kind of guys who have to ask their wife for permission should do that ahead of time and not waste the sellers time asking for more pictures and lots of other details. They need to get the ok from their wife before they play with guns.

I find this happens more with the cheaper guns, under $1500 and with most being under $1000.

So for the guys who need permission, they need to make sure they are allowed to have it ahead of time!

John Boyd

He was a nosepicker
Posted By: gloftness Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 02:48 AM
I always ask the female of the house if I should buy another gun and invariably she barks in the affirmative. It works great. Gabby is a four year old French Brit and she loves Beretta sxs's.
Posted By: JNW Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:04 AM
I saved up for three years to buy my dream target gun - a custom Perazzi. My wife was all on board. Shortly after it arrived she got a new dining room set. Custom made. Oddly enough it was just about the price of my Pgun. Wierd how that happened. She didn't have to wait three years either. However, we're both happy.
I think gloftness has the ideal partner!
Jeff
Posted By: GaryW Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:11 AM
An excellent argument against the idea of marriage......
Or, live by the old saying of "It's better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission."
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: ithaca1
If I had to ask, it would be time for a new wife.
Guys that have to ask are either irresponsible or split tails.
Amen to that- women have no damn business meddling in a man's gun buying, unless they are Annie Oakley or "Plinky" Topperwein- back in the days when they didn't have to worry about voting, and the man was the sole breadwinner- and decided how to spend his hard-earned money. I just bought Mavis, my current Lady- a nice new Bosch dishwasher for Xmas, and she is as happy as can be-and right where she spends most of her at my house, in the kitchen--
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Don't ask, don't tell. I am however very tricky about sneaking'em in the house!...Geo
The late Gene Hill wrote the book on that special op- chapter and verse--My kinda guy- didn't take any crap from Mrs. Hill, went hunting or shooting whenever the spirit moved him--
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:35 AM
I have one of the wives that encourages me to buy whatever I want, also. The last gun came out of the blue, totally unexpected, and a great deal to boot. I really had to scratch for the money. When I brought it home, I noted it would be an excellent investment, and she said, "I don't know what it is for sure, but, it is beautiful, and I think you should keep it".
I did. We've never fought about money. I get to pick the dogs, too-but I only get one at a time.
Seems fair to me.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: topgun Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:47 AM
Never ask permission; but I have had to beg for forgiveness a few times.
Posted By: Normax Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 06:05 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I give my wife shotguns as Christmas gifts or for her birthday. I think she had over thirteen or so. They are great collector items and boy do they shoot well. BTW she lost count years ago
Posted By: GLS Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 11:05 AM
This thread dovetails with a gunsafe's other purpose.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 01:24 PM
i have always found it easier to get forgiveness than permission,
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 02:32 PM
I tell my wife the gun safe is a gun incubator. She says they do seem to multiply in there pretty often.
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 02:33 PM
Those guys must really love their wives...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Ouellette
Those guys must really love their wives...

Yeah, otherwise we'd have them pickin up after our hunting dogs... oops, mine does that too.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
The late Gene Hill wrote the book on that special op- chapter and verse--My kinda guy- didn't take any crap from Mrs. Hill, went hunting or shooting whenever the spirit moved him--

Hey guys it's a gun, not a mistress!...Geo
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 04:46 PM
Found a gun I wanted but was reluctant to spend the money. The wife and I took a trip to Kansas City to look at a cheaper alternative and while I was thinking about it she said "why don't you just buy the one you really want?" Gotta love a woman like that.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Marry the right woman to begin with and all this is someone else's problem.

SRH

'Nuf said.
JR
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 05:16 PM
I've always kept my gun/hunting account separate from the family accounts, and when I have to borrow from family savings to buy something I just have to have NOW, I pay it back ASAP from the gun account, and show both the borrowing and the payback in the check register for my "accountant." Kept the peace for 49+ years and many guns and hunting trips.

Now, how the money gets INTO the gun account, THAT is where some "don't ask, don't tell" comes in....

My wife, completely uninterested in the details of guns, is an excellent shot with a shotgun and .22 handguns. She has come to accept that she's married to a gun nut. When/where we were raised, it was common, if not actually normal, to possess, use, and carry firearms.
Posted By: Brian Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 10:20 PM
Many a gun she has commented, " I haven't seen that one before".
My standard reply is that I traded some parts for it and it needed work.
I don't do any explaining past that. none of her business.

never leave the house with a gun in a case without another case with a broomstick in it. they count the cases coming back, not what's in them.

having gun cabinets with opaque doors prevents any inquiring eyes from seeing what's in there.
Posted By: dal Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/11/15 11:15 PM
Bet he used the wife as an excuse not to buy it. Just wanted more pics/info.

'Oh the wife said I can't buy it.....'. just lurking.

D.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 12:11 AM
My wife and I have a simple agreement - with her I am monogamous.

With fly rods and firearms I am permitted "serial affairs" - her words. She, on the other hand, is happy with 2 fly rods, 2 revolvers and 2 shotguns - especially her 20 gauge Beretta 471 SxS with which she yesterday killed quail and pheasant.

A wife who loves to break clays and quail hunt is easy to live with.
Posted By: oskar Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 02:48 AM
I owned a gun shop when I was married the first time and she ws an avid shooter/hunter, no problem there, but I always had to ask for what ever I bought, we lasted 12 yrs.

The second one likes to shoot(Shot for the CSU small bore team) but is a bunny hugger, we're both on our second marriage so we have three account, hers, mine and ours. Ours gets a donation from each of us to cover bills and household expenses. Hers and mine are at our own discretion and neither of us has to ask or feel guilty, 26yrs now with never an argument over money, life is good.

Her only [censored] is what she is going to do with all the guns when I die. I have to keep an inventory for her with where they are to go or be sold for and by whom.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: oskar
I owned a gun shop when I was married the first time and she ws an avid shooter/hunter, no problem there, but I always had to ask for what ever I bought, we lasted 12 yrs.

The second one likes to shoot(Shot for the CSU small bore team) but is a bunny hugger, we're both on our second marriage so we have three account, hers, mine and ours. Ours gets a donation from each of us to cover bills and household expenses. Hers and mine are at our own discretion and neither of us has to ask or feel guilty, 26yrs now with never an argument over money, life is good.

Her only [censored] is what she is going to do with all the guns when I die. I have to keep an inventory for her with where they are to go or be sold for and by whom.
I think Gene Hill once also said that his only regret about dying is that he would miss his own estate sale--
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 12:00 PM
Years ago my wife said we had too many shotguns, so I sold hers...she has stayed out of my inventory ever since!

p.s. She now has a beautiful 20 Ga. Grulla
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 02:18 PM

Mrs. Hill also shot at Gene's car on one occasion . . . with Gene in it.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Mrs. Hill also shot at Gene's car on one occasion . . . with Gene in it.
Sure glad she missed- Gene was my kinda man- miss his writings, treasure his books in my library- 3 of them signed to me by him, he and the also late Mike McIntosh and Brian-Orvis guy, shooting instructor- visited the MI Orvis shoppes back around 1991- Oct- here in MI- still have some photos of the event, Gene, Mike, yours truly at the Orvis Shoppe in Ada- what a great writer and game shot- I have read and re-read his "Shotgunner's Notebook" until it's about falling apart- and his story "The Stranger" touches me deeply-
Posted By: Buzz Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 11:22 PM
I don't have a wife and buy whatever gun suits my fancy. Still, I think I'm missing out on something. I think you guys who found a good one are better off than not. Just my humble opinion at age 56 yo.
Posted By: craigd Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 11:32 PM
Fairly recently, I was looking at two guns. My far and away first choice was sold while I hesitated for just a bit, so I moved on to plan B. I never realized my wife had bought the original one I was interested in, for me. I had to tuck tail and apologize to the seller of my second choice, but I tried to explain and cut off the discussion as quick as possible.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/12/15 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: buzz
I don't have a wife and buy whatever gun suits my fancy. Still, I think I'm missing out on something. I think you guys who found a good one are better off than not. Just my humble opinion at age 56 yo.

we are blessed, made a mistake the first time around, took a long time to find the right one, but I know I am lucky to have her now.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 04:16 AM
Given the choice of gun or wife, i still choose wife

That said i have often stretched the limit on buying guns beyond common agreement, in hindsight i have to admit most of the things i thought were must buys worked out to sell it later, don't love it that much, which is how I went from 38 to 3 long guns (now back up to six, but will be back to 4 by the end of summer)

Buying is like hunting for stuff, my appetite for quantity is gone and i focus on quality, both in what I buy, and what adventures i spend my time pursuing.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 02:10 PM
I have no complaints about my wife. Lord knows I have bought too many guns in a given time period more than once. She has never said anything. In fact, she has bought me a few.
Before I met her she hardly knew what a gun was. She thankfully did not try to convert me over to the anti-gun group. She came over to the "pro side".
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 03:03 PM
My wife is from Colombia. She was a bit horrified when she learned of the big safe and it's contents. But when I asked her who owns guns in Bogata, she remarked "only the police and the criminals, and sometimes it is hard to tell which is which". I pointed out that up here, the regular citizens have rights, and can choose to be armed, if they wish. The light bulb went on, and she is solidly in the pro camp now as well.
A side note, I love my wife dearly, she is the best thing that has ever happened to me. But, if anything ever happened and she wasn't my wife anymore, God fordid, I can assure you I would never attempt this again, with anyone, under any circumstances.
There is way more potential for things to go badly, than for things to go well, and you guys that try this two, three, four, or however many times, mystify me.
Wasn't it Lyle Lovette who sang "Once is enough"?
I'm in that camp.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 04:15 PM
Old saying "90 percent of the happiness or misery in your life will be determined by who you marry". Truer words were never spoken. Even with all the risks...married folks tend to live much longer.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 04:37 PM
Sometimes it just seems longer...Geo
Posted By: Dave K Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 05:41 PM
Sometimes it just seems longer...Geo

wink Good one !
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 07:17 PM
People back out of gun purchases for a myriad of reasons. Just like every other item sold.

I didn't start selling firearms expecting it to be a perfect world.

Oops, phones ringing, gotta go, hope it isn't a potential customer calling......
Posted By: Dave K Re: Wife Kills Gun Sale - 01/13/15 07:26 PM
your right, could be worse,much better to deal with phones and non buyers wasting time, then dealing with something like this;

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article5700804.html
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com