doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 06:45 PM
Winchester 69A story
I was set up at the Albany NY gunshow this past weekend. A member of the NYSACA walked by with two guns he was trying to sell. I asked what he had. One was a standard weight pre 64 Win Mod. 70 in 30-06. Pretty much a plain vanilla rifle. About 90-92% condition. I inquired about the price. He stated “well there is a Winchester collector down there and he had one for 1800 so mine is worth at least that.” I handed it back. I asked what the other rifle was. He said a Winchester 69A. I asked to look at it. Before I even had it in my hands he said it was 100% factory original. I looked it over, matte blue, Pachmayr ˝” solid brown rifle pad, steel grip cap, Schnabel fore end, checkered with point pattern on fore end and pistol grip, barrel mount swivel base. Island type rear sight and base, drilled and tapped for scope, different bolt handle. He said it was his fathers and he got it 30 years ago and it has never been touched.
Now after he told me his bone stock standard 70 was worth all of 1800 and he knew because he was an expert, I had to pop his bubble. I asked him again about the 69A. He reiterated his story. I said” Hate to tell you fined but that 69A isn’t original”. He got very annoyed and said I didn’t know Winchesters. I started to chuckle. I said I know that rifle isn’t original because I did all of that work on it 30+ years ago. Right away he asked who I did it for. I said for me. I owned that rifle and it was a project I worked up. I wanted to make a European styled rifle. I described in detail all of the features I put on it. He then said again, this rifle is 100% factory original. I told him to have a nice day. Needless to say, he was not happy.
Stevie Wonder could have seen that the rifle was not original. Some folks are just in denial.

Some things you have to laugh at. And some people too!
Posted By: SKB Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 06:47 PM
Classic! You do have to love people at times.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 06:49 PM
Humor is where you find it sometimes. Most gun show experts are worth a few laughs if you listen to them.
Posted By: James M Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 06:59 PM
I've quit calling attention for the most part to issues with firearms people show me unless I'm seriously interested in buying. All they usually do is get irate and usually state you don't know what you are talking about.
Jim
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 08:15 PM
Yeah, I took a Deluxe Sporter Win75 to a show, and a dealer told me it wasn't as good as his M75. Looked at his rifle, and there was a poly finish, real thin, no Win red stain, told him his was refinished, and he told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Sure, bud.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 08:24 PM
I gave up a long time ago trying to explain things like original finish on doubleguns. It never ceases to amaze me how obviously reblued barrels are declared original, mint, or even unfired. Like below:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464091551

Or

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465200730

Sometimes they are frauds, more often I think they are ignorant hopefuls.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 08:34 PM
Maybe we need a background check on people SELLING guns....just kidding....
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 08:36 PM
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 08:50 PM
Brian: I subscribe to the DALE CARNEGIE, theory of life. Unless I am specifically asked, to render a BRUTALLY HONEST opinion regarding a gun...NOONE EVER MADE A FRIEND BY PROVING THEM WRONG! I am certainly not saying you were wrong to tell him you did the work, and from what you say he certainly was out of any reasonable range for the described M70 rifle. This is a classic example of my GUN SHOW RULE, 99% of the people walking around with guns are asking what THEY WANT for a gun, not what the gun is ACTUALLY worth. I once had a seller tell me their Griffin and Howe pre-war 1903 Sporter was originally made with the 1944 High Standard Barrel it had been rebarrelled with.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 09:09 PM
Here is a guy that was setup at the last Houstin show doin trigger jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQM4h-UZtc

Makes me laugh every time.
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 10:43 PM
I think I've talked to this guy about doing work, several times over the years! I passed!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Gun show expert!! - 01/27/15 11:28 PM
Reminds me of the first time I spotted 2 or 3 Darnes on a dealer's table at a gun show. (I'd seen them before, in France. And chatted about them with French gunshop proprietors.)
"I see you have some Darnes," I said to the dealer. "I believe that's pronounced Dar-nay," he corrected me. "Not in France it isn't!" I replied. Then there was the Belgian gun I bought (Thonon) that was marked "German" in the rack, even though it said "Liege" on the barrels, and the proofmarks were pure Belgian.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com