doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CindyHarz J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/09/15 03:46 PM
My name is Cindy Harz and I'm the widow of J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz that used to be on this forum before he passed away December 2012.
I was wondering if anyone was still on this site that remembers him? I saw some very warm, thoughtful comments on here after he passed that really touched my heart.
Thank you, Cindy
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/09/15 04:01 PM
Yes, I had a lot of correspondence back and forth about a wildcat cartridge we both used. I was about to send him a barrel job using that cartridge when he passed, ended up sending it to someone else who did good work, but I regretted not being able to send it to Joe.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/09/15 06:59 PM
Yes, I remember him and am very sorry for your loss,it was our loss too, but nearly to the extent as yours.He was always courteous and very patient even with those of us less learned than he.I miss him.
Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/09/15 07:20 PM
If I am not mistaken, J.D. Steele posted on the Classic and Single Barrel subforum, formed and beloved by Michael Petrov, Dave Weber, Steve Dodd Hughes, and Bill Murphy. I think I got those names right. Cindy, you may want to post your comments over on that subforum. So nice to hear from you.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 12:51 AM
Cindy, I only knew your husband through this site, but I bought some parts from him here and always enjoyed his posts. It was a shock to lose him, and I'm sure many members here remember him with affection.
Posted By: Norm Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 01:22 AM
I remember him, good guy.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 05:44 AM
Joe and I did a little trading of single shot parts, and I unloaded a bunch of magazines I knew I'd never read again on him. His willingness to explain how he solved various problems was greatly appreciated. As has been said, we share your loss!
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 02:13 PM
Thanks for the sweet replies, the reason I was asking is because I have several things that I thought some of you may be interested in. I have some actions and some black walnut gun blanks. I would like to sell them and I know what they're worth but I don't know anyone local that is interested in them. I thought maybe some of you could lead me in the right direction. Thanks for any advise, Cindy
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 02:14 PM
Thank you so much! I will sure do that. Cindy
Posted By: SKB Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 02:54 PM
I remember your husband. I corresponded with him and did a bit of parts trading. He was kind and knowledgeable. I'm very sorry for your loss.

You may consider posting the items you would like to sell in the for sale section on this forum. Pictures will certainly help the items find new homes. Best of luck.
Steve
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/10/15 05:55 PM
Joe and I had a bit of correspondence on this board and off. He was a kind man, knowledgeable and willing to share his knowledge. I was saddened by his passing, felt as though I had lost a friend, which I had. We even did some trading of parts and things. I am sorry for your loss, Cindy, we all miss him.

Eightbore is correct, Joe spent most of his time on the Single barrel subforum, if you'd like I can link this thread to one there?
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/11/15 08:38 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so glad to see all the kind comments about him on here. It makes my heart smile.
I would appreciate it if you could link my thread to the Single Barrel subforum. Thank you very much!
Cindy
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/11/15 08:42 PM
Thank you so much Steve. I didn't even realize there was such a section. Haven't really navigated around yet.
I know he loved being on the forums sharing his knowledge with y'all. Thank you again,
Cindy
Posted By: RHD45 Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/11/15 10:23 PM
We corresponded about scrimshaw and he was kind enough to send me a book and some bits and pieces of ivory and a wart hog tusk.He is missed.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 12:40 AM
Here's the link to the other subforum thread Cindy.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393859&#Post393859
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 02:39 AM
Hello Cindy,
Joe was a great guy and I think of him very often. We conversed a lot by email mostly. He was exceptionally knowledgeable but mostly he was just plain helpful with all of his knowledge.

While talked about many things and even disagreed over several issues he was always willing to listen, even to things he disagreed with.

Most of all he helped me build my first custom rifle. He sold me the receiver and made sure it was tuned up just right. He recommended some folks for other parts of the rifle as well. At one time, I counted 15 people who had a role in making this rifle happen. It may only be a .22 but it is, by far, my favorite rifle and I use it in matches and for hunting. I'll attach a few pictures.

For certain, Joe is one of those people I really really miss. He was a heck of a good guy.
Sincerely,
Brent Danielson
Story City, Iowa

Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 03:37 AM
Thank you very much...so sweet and thoughtful of you!
Cindy
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 03:43 AM
Thank you Brent for your sweet words. Yep, he was definitely one of a kind. He was very opinionated and loved sharing his knowledge on the forums.
I really appreciate you sharing your rifle pics with me. I can't tell you how happy it made me to see it and hear your story about it.
It made my heart smile big. Thank you!!
Cindy Harz
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 04:42 AM
Dear Cindy

Your husband is a good guy, he sent me some he things knew he wouldn't use and we corresponded about this and that. Sadly, not
long after your husband passed away, one of his best friends on the forum, Whitey Hanson also passed away. Whitey always spoke so highly of Joe. I'd like to believe that they are gunsmithing together.

Fred
Posted By: CindyHarz Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/12/15 05:47 AM
Hi Fred, Thank you for the sweet words. I'm sad to hear that Whitey passed. I heard Joe speak of and to him a lot. I too, hope they are gunsmithing together. What a sweet thought! smile
Thanks for sharing this with me.
Cindy
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/13/15 04:08 PM
Hello Cindy,
I too corresponded by Email with Joe as we both had a love of Sharps Borchardt's. They're so rare in England where I live that it took 50 years for me to actually see one for real. I've always wanted one and eventually I started to make my own from steel blocks. Joe was very encouraging in his Emails and could always answer my questions whenever I was doubtful about a dimension or an angle. I also corresponded with Whitey Hanson and was very sad to hear he lost his battle with Cancer. Like Joe I looked upon all single shot rifle aficionado's as very good friends. If there is an afterlife, then I certainly hope to meet up with both of them. As long as there are single shot riflemen I don't think either will be forgotten. I even remember Joe's days on the ASSRA Forum.

Respectfully

Harry Eales.
Posted By: Vall Re: J.D. Steele AKA Joe Harz - 02/16/15 07:55 PM
Hello Cindy,
Joe was one of my favorite people, although I never met him. Talked with him occasionally by phone, and emailed on occasion also. Whitey Hanson was a mutual friend also, and often it seemed the three of us ended up in 3 way swaps of gun parts. It was a lot of fun, and I feel privileged to have known both of them through this forum, and the ASSRA forum when they were there.
Vall Miller
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com