doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dubbletrubble winchester 21 - 02/20/15 02:03 PM
Hey all, I sent a customers M21 receiver out to be re-blued and it came back with strong purple hue. Before I make a stink about this, is this normal for re-bluing? Did my guy do something wrong? Can this be fixed? I'm a little anxious here. Thought I would get some opinions here before I call the guy about it...
Posted By: John Roberts Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 02:45 PM
It's blue, not purple. Something was wrong with the formula. Good luck getting it corrected.
JR
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:01 PM
well that was a lot of help....thanks
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:27 PM
Who did the work?
Floor plate a different color than the receiver?
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:30 PM
The oldest 21s frames were blued with a carbon bluing process. I don't recall exactly when Win switched to Du-Lite hot bluing, but think it was pre-war. I don't know what advice to offer other than talk to shops known for doing a correct job reproducing the finish you want, and negotiate for money back from the guy that messed this up.

Jay
Posted By: old colonel Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:30 PM
No it is not normal. That said the only way to fix it is to remove the current finish and redo the the blueing process again on metal taken back to the white.

Contact your gunsmith and determine if he will accept the gun back and refinish it again or simply refund the money and you send it to a gunsmith with the proper process for the M21

Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:45 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Yes the floor plate is black, as are all the other parts other than the receiver. It is an early gun 1930's. I have used this guy for bluing before and had no problems with him. He just did an M 24 for the same customer and it was done right and the customer was pleased. I don't even want to show him this. I did the rust blue and the wood and they are good to go.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
well that was a lot of help....thanks

You're welcome?
JR
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: winchester 21 - 02/20/15 04:49 PM
well I got a PM from one of the members here with a reference to a shop that can handle the job properly. I have talked to them and they indeed know the problem and how to resolve it. It's off to them today. Thank you to all and especially Jay who got me pointed in the right direction with the right shop. This indeed is the right place to ask questions.

Cheers,
David
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: winchester 21 - 02/21/15 01:59 AM
It's heat / time related

bill
Posted By: Buzz Re: winchester 21 - 02/21/15 02:04 AM
I had one once with a purple receiver. Plus, a couple other problems too. I sent it to Jim Wiegand, Cloverdale, IN & it came back like a brand new Model 21.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: winchester 21 - 02/21/15 03:31 AM
Jim redid a model 37 for me.
Many feel he is the best at Winchester blue bar none.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com