doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Crowley How would you clean the cloth of a gun case? - 02/21/15 04:13 PM
How would you clean the cloth interior of a gun case?
I've used a vacuum cleaner to suck as much out as possible. Then careful use of a mild cleaner to get most stains out. I've used my wife's Oxy-Clean with good results, and then a damp cloth afterwards to ensure there wont be any residue left.
I don't ever end up "like new", but always much better than how they arrived.
Vacuum thoroughly, and use a soft brush (ie. new toothbrush) to raise the loose dirt to the nozzle. Soil sometimes can be softened and removed using baby wipes. For oil stains, use some brake cleaner (hydrocarbon based is better than "green") sprayed on a clean wite rag (flannel or towel) to carefully daub at it. The white rag won't transfer colour, and you can see if it's lifting the stain, and monitor your progress.
In all stages, gently, gently!
Naptha, used with the white rag for blotting can lift most stains. The question is will it lift the fabric color as well? Anything you use should be tested on an unobtrusive location first.
If you are talking oil stains then many years ago I used lighter fluid to remove grease stains from cases.
But be careful and test a small spot first.
To remove oil from the cloth “Fullers Earth” spread over the affected part, Talcum powder also works. And for a full clean of the case cloth use carpet cleaning powder. I have had good results with a cleaner here called “Shake and Vac” I am sure you will have an equivalent on your side of the pond.
I juts use gaffer tape - press it onto the baise, pull it off and it lifts out dirt, dust and bits of grit.
A good carpet powder sold at Home Depot is Capture. It wont hurt anything to give it a try. It's actually a "dry" solution used by some to safely clean the fringe on high end area rugs. Dry clean really just means quick evaporation or very low moisture.
Goddard's Dry Clean is safe on wool and works on oil and organic stains. Used in a lot of old school tailor shops for spot cleaning expensive suits.
I've used lint-rollers with good results. Doesn't help with stains but it lifts the knap and gets almost all of the debris out of the top layer of the felt.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com