doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: hammersleyfork 1883 Colt 10 ga. - 04/07/07 03:04 PM
Has anyone done a restoration on this gun? I would assume parts would be a significant problem?
Posted By: PeteM Re: 1883 Colt 10 ga. - 04/07/07 03:22 PM
What are you looking for? What condition is the gun in? Is it engraved? This may help.

http://www.coltparts.com/pt_83shotgun.html

Pete
Posted By: hammersleyfork Re: 1883 Colt 10 ga. - 04/07/07 06:49 PM
Pete,
Thanks for responding. I know a little about these but not much. I think there are 3 grades and this is middle.a dog and a rabbit on the right side and a dog and woodcock on the left. About 50% coverage. Serial 180. First one I've seen with straight grip and heel and toe plates. The gun is seriously wounded. Stock is broken at wrist and there are pieces missing. Barrels cut to 27".
Rear of lower tang broken(not terrible).Bores salvagable(sic).
Everything is there but it is not economically feasible to restore but that doesn't mean I won't.
Thanks for the parts lead, very interesting.
Mike
If you've done one of these i'd be interested in your input.
Posted By: PeteM Re: 1883 Colt 10 ga. - 04/07/07 10:41 PM
Mike,

I have never done one these. I am in the process of having a Fox pin gun restored. No stock, no trigger guard, safety is missing, the 32" dented barrels had been painted black, the list goes on.

With the cut barrels, yours will never command top dollar, but you knew that. Still 27" is a reasonable length. I would start with the straight mechanics. Get the action working 1st. The tang sounds like it could be repaired. I know of a couple gunsmiths who I could recommend for that work, Bill Schwarz in GA and Dave Norin in IL.

After that you can decide about the stock and metal refinishing...

Loving Doubles has a buttstock for sale: http://www.doublegun.com/lovingmore.html

Pete
Posted By: hammersleyfork Re: 1883 Colt 10 ga. - 04/08/07 11:05 AM
Pete,
Thanks for your help. Good luck with your Fox. I'm talking to two people about Colts. One is a georgeous gd.3 but I'm having trouble prying it loose. The other is a field grade 2 bbl. set.
I have a Fox S/W 30" that I'm about to cut loose.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com